Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Lenore Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Aug 10, 17 12:40 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/10/2017 at 9:08:57 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Lenore Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Aug 10, 17 4:45 AM
BLAH!!!!!! Another creepy boring game! I own I think all of the Edgar Allan Poe games never been impressed! Not going to spend money on this one! Its made well, but that's all I can say about! Not trying yo insult others taste, just not my thing!

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Lenore Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Aug 10, 17 5:26 AM
Judging from the demo, this seems like a game geared toward folks who just want a laid-back ramble through a macabre setting (as opposed to & ). Everything was pretty easy, including the mini-games, even when selecting the "hard" option. Fully-developed HO scenes were interspersed among little windows where you find four of something. The collectibles & morphs were easy to spot; in quite a few areas, there was more than one collectible. There was an awful lot of chatter in some places; it took me over an hour to complete the demo, but a good portion of that was taken up w/ chitchat (or at least it felt that way ). There was also a fair amount of lag at times. I'm unfamiliar w/ this series, so I have no idea how this entry in it compares to it's predecessors; but I found myself starting to feel before the demo was over.

Edited on 08/10/2017 at 5:32:35 AM PST

bfgIlinalta
3,807 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIlinalta on Aug 10, 17 9:08 AM
Howdy Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Lenore Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Lenore Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. In the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

And, finally, please feel free to PM one of our active Moderators if there are any further questions. We're all happy to help out and listen as best we can.

bfgIlinalta

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Aug 10, 17 10:27 AM
Dark Tales is back with game number eleven in the series. It is obvious that the developer is grasping at straws in order to keep this series alive because I doubt that many of you will find this game has anything to do with EAP’s Lenore. I guess we could maybe stretch our imaginations a bit and accept this might be a story of Lenore’s childhood and early life but that would be quite a stretch.

There is really no need for me to go into all of the other features in the game because if you want to know what to expect, there are others who will lay it all on the table and do an excellent job of providing the game’s details.

When I began the demo, I noticed that our haggard detective is back with perhaps just a bit of a cleanup since his last foray into the Dark Tales game world. You, of course, will play his sidekick who will do all of the work and discovery while Dupin just pops up with idiotic comments, not at all what one would expect from a top-notch detective.

As usual we get to find the missing objects and replace them in order to progress in the game, but the question here is do I really want to take another walk into the Dark Tales world when I really didn’t find much in the beginning that would give me the extra nudge and let me know that Lenore will be worth my time and effort only to find out that Lenore is yet another feeble attempt at keeping a series alive that should have been put to rest long ago.

If you are new to playing HOPA games, you will most likely enjoy Lenore. The ERS team certainly is excellent in presentation and I doubt that any other developer’s art team can create such wonderful characters in a game. On the other hand, the voices are terrible and certainly leave a lot to be desired. The reading of the letter at the beginning of the game had me wanting to beat my monitor with a stick to speed up the reader. The presentation of the mayor’s letter almost put me to sleep and was just the beginning of the downward spiral as far as Lenore is concerned. It is very sad for me to write a negative review of an ERS game because this developer was integral in creating my love of HOPA games. Perhaps, there have just been too many games in this series and I have reached my saturation point. That being said, many of you have not yet reached that point and will most likely find Lenore to be an excellent game. Please try the demo to see if Dark Tales Lenore is a game you will enjoy. Happy gaming!

angelfishsb
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishsb on Aug 10, 17 11:00 AM
I cannot download. I keep getting Error 5 when trying to download on my PC Windows 10. I have had no trouble with the 100's of games I have downloaded from BF before.

Edited on 08/10/2017 at 11:00:46 AM PST

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Aug 10, 17 3:48 PM
Since the new developer took over the games are not as good. ERS did a much better job. I did become bored with this one. Not enough to make it a CE.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 10, 17 7:35 PM
Hi friends! As always, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to those who do a much better job than I. Not sure, but this one might make #10 in this series. I have most of the EAP games in this series, and liked what I do have. Dupin is back, but a bit different...he looks much better, but his voice just isn't right. He needs an accent, and he seems a bit wimpy this time. The graphics are very nice and colors are clear and true, even though most of it takes place during the night. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo and it fit my large screen. Animation was fairly nice and smooth. Music was okay, and seldom used. Not much in the way of sound FX, which is very disappointing. This game could have used some stormy weather, or clanging chains.

HOPs are very few and far between again in this one. Items were not difficult to find and some of the scenes were a little cluttered. At least they were varied this time. Puzzles were simple and took no time or thought to complete. Hint system is very helpful, but I did not run across a transport feature during the demo. There is a lot of back tracking, so this feature would have been nice. The game was quite easy to follow, so I didn't even bother looking at the map.

Collectibles were better in this addition to the series. We have to find 66 feathers. It looks like we use them some way to complete a scene. We also have 32 morphing objects. So far, they have all been crows, go figure.

Poe stories have always been one of my favorites, and I know them all. This is not the Lenore I remember at all, nowhere near it, which is very disappointing. If you are going to use a Poe title, use the Poe story correctly. I understand they can take poetic license and all, but this was way off base. That said, it is not a bad game and one that I am sure some will like, but I do not feel this is CE worthy at all, so no buy for me. I'll recommend it for beginners, but not for seasoned gamers. I will give the SE version a try when it comes out. Quite often, I find that the SE version makes a much better game, we will see.

As always, give this one a try and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

Wolfangels
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by Wolfangels on Aug 11, 17 6:26 AM
The game needs an update, can't get back to the table with the blue letters... Fix it...

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Aug 11, 17 4:16 PM
Amex has obviously tried to breathe new life into ERS' long running Dark Tales series. If I remember correctly, Puppet Show was the first series released by ERS, and then Dark Tales. Detective Dupin looks like he's tired, and is in need of a shave, I'm not sure if this was the look they were going for, but I think he may be getting ready to retire, which might be a good thing, because Dark Tales has been going downhill for quite some time now. There is one good thing with this latest Edgar Allan Poe rendition, Lenore, the collectibles in the CE version are better, and they've added Morphing Raven sketches. They have also revamped the inventory bar, for a cleaner look, and it appears that they have integrated CG graphics along with hand drawn graphics. With all this revamping, the storyline is just getting old, as old as Dupin himself, and to make matters worse, they continued with the same plot as the last game, which wasn't all that great.
Dupin receives a letter from Thomas Guillinger, the town Mayor, because he always receives a letter from the town Mayor. The Mayor suspects that the Crow League is responsible for the recent abductions of the town's children, including his own son. Doesn't it seem that the town Mayor only gets involved when something happens to his own family? As usual, this case has to be solved discretely, so the Mayor asks you to meet him on a specified date, just outside of town. When you arrive, our bright detective fears that the Mayor is a no show, but tells you to ask the seedy character wearing a burlap sack over his head, if he is the person your looking for. Because so many people wear a sack on their head, it could be your employer, it could be just an average Joe out for a stroll. The Mayor is a suspicious man, so he has sent his henchman, wearing a fashionable sack over his head, and he proceeds to tell me (me, not Dupin, because he doesn't seem to do any of the legwork) that I must pass a test before I get hired! That wasn't the deal, there was no mention of a test in the letter, but against my better judgement, I enquire about the test. Turns out he wants me to enter the Smuggler's Tavern, and if I make it out alive, I've got the job. SAY WHAT? They want me to go into a haunted tavern of which I may not make it out alive, just to be able to risk my life doing my detective thing for the Mayor? At this point, I'm thinking I should re-negotiate my fee, but Dupin gladly volunteered my services! Thanks a lot Dup! As you can guess, I make it out alive, and infiltrate the town on my quest to solve the case of the missing children, once again.
The Hidden Object Scenes are mostly Multiple finds and mostly consist of small Zoom Zone scenes where you are tasked with finding 4 objects of the same kind such as 4 crows, 4 buttons etc. All of these objects are in plain view and impossible not to find.
The Mini Games are basic and simple lacking creativity. Most games are available in a Casual or Hard difficulty mode. Below are brief descriptions of some of the games you'll encounter during the demo:
1) Create a color coded path for each skull, using buttons to swap plate sections, then drag skulls to the other side.
2) Restore the mirror by placing the shards correctly.
3) Swap medal parts until they match the wax seal on the letter.
4) Click on the number code in the correct order according to the clue.
DARK TALES EDGAR ALLAN POE'S GAMES AVAILABLE:
Title***Collector's Edition Release Date***Average Rating
-Lenore (August 10-17) n/a
-Metzengerstein (July 21-16) 3.4
-Murder's In The Rue Morgue (November 23-11) 3.7
-The Black Cat (November 17-11) 4.6
-The Fall Of The House Of Usher (March 20-14) 4.0
-The Gold Bug (January 10-13) 3.8
-The Masque Of The Red Death (April 25-13) 4.4
-The Premature Burial (November 13-11) 4.5
-The Raven (December 29-16) 3.2
-The Tell-Tale Heart (November 14-15) 2.7
This Collector's Edition has 9 Movie Videos, 10 Wallpapers, 10 Concept Art pictures, 5 Screensavers, 5 Music Soundtracks, 16 replayable Mini Games, 21 replayable Hidden Object Scenes, 16 Achievements to earn, 32 Morphing Ravens, 66 Collectible Golden Feathers that convert to jigsaw puzzle pieces to assemble EAP's office,a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Aug 28, 17 3:36 PM
I've played all of the previous EAP games but this one didn't impress me. the ending left one hanging.

Go to: