Daxadillion
Salmon
Salmon
2,610 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Maze: Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Aug 12, 17 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/12/2017 at 9:21:16 AM PST

charlene_lane
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Maze: Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by charlene_lane on Aug 12, 17 1:24 AM
Really enjoying the game so far. I bought the game straight away as I was waiting for it to come out. Puzzles are not hard. Has a good creepiness to it. Plenty to do in each scene. Right, now back to Timmy's nightmare.

pennmom36
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Aug 12, 17 5:09 AM
Mad Head games does it again! I don't think this game is as creepy as Maze: Subject 360, but I'm still loving every minute of it! My only wish would be that MH games would feature the Morphing Objects in each scene instead of just in the HO's, but I'm definitely taking advantage of today's sale =.

nextgengranny
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Aug 12, 17 5:36 AM
Based on the demo: So far, this has pretty much been what I've come to think of as standard Mad Head fare...lots of sizzle, not that much steak. There's been an okay degree of creepy/weird so far, which I expect would increase as one gets deeper into the game, but the HO scenes & mini-games just don't hit it for me. Gameplay has been mostly linear, but there were places where you could branch off & explore a bit. I would also say it's been fairly intuitive, as I never found myself confused about what needed doing where or when. The statement made on the sales page about needing to write down or remember codes is incorrect, btw; they're either stored in the tablet by the hint button, or go into your inventory. The storyline reminds me of "Dreamscapes: The Sandman", if you're familiar w/ that. The collectibles are fairly nondescript, which can make them a challenge to spot in those areas where they're blended in well. There's morphs in at least some of the HO scenes (this dev sometimes puts them in all of them). I have to say, there were things I probably would have enjoyed more if I'd discovered them myself, through playing, rather than having them disclosed in advance in a (currently the) review on the sales page I made the mistake of reading. Long story short, there's things I like about this game, but unless the level of "gamesmanship" increases significantly after the demo, I suspect I would end up being bored. I'll wait to see what reviewers who have completed the game have to say.

nanafraser
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Aug 12, 17 6:31 AM
Its OK! Id like to see something a little lighter! I know others are into the scary kind of games! But not every game that comes out! And I know they have fairy tale fantasy like games, Ive beta tested them & I'm not & the only one, many on forums have mentioned it! So if ones want to criticize my option, go ahead I can handle! I'm a grownup. Not everyone's into creepiness!

Edited on 08/12/2017 at 7:18:32 AM PST

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
889 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Aug 12, 17 7:28 AM
WOW!!!!!! Utter boredom.....slow and tedious. Instead of that silly warning on the game page this game should have a warning about all the flashing lights !!!!

2cats4u
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by 2cats4u on Aug 12, 17 9:04 AM
I've been waiting for this since I Beta tested it in January. Totally comparable to the first two Maze game. Not going to try and write a "Pulitzer" review, all I will say is I enjoy playing this game and if you enjoyed the first two as much as I did try this one for yourself. Thanks BF, and Mad Head it's been a long wait.

bfgBeruna
629 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Aug 12, 17 9:21 AM
Howdy!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Maze: Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Maze: Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBeruna

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,129 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 12, 17 2:11 PM
Hi friends! As always, I review mostly on the game play and not the story, as others do a much better job of that than I. The graphics are really well done in this one, very clear. Colors are a bit muted, but still quite nice and clear. Game play was very good, with no glitches during the demo, and the scenes fit my large screen nicely. Voices are very well done, with a very sinister voice coming from our bad guy. For a nightmare, Timmy has an awfully calm voice. This addition is quite creepy and things do jump out at you. Music isn't much and neither are the sound FX. This one could have been very edge of your seat with the right sound FX.

HOPs are a variety of highlighted words and interactive lists. They are fairly clean and clear and items are not difficult to find. You do need to find morphing items in the HOPs. The morph is not one of those that jumps off the page at you, it is much more subtle and very smooth. It morphs fairly quickly, so be on the lookout. So far, the puzzles are very simple and took no brain power to complete. The jump map is helpful, since you don't have the transport feature in this one. The devs did a better job on the map, much clearer than the last game. SG is the same as all the others and collectibles are clearly shown if you need help.

The only collectibles are symbols. They aren't all easy to find, as they blend well into the background, so be on the lookout. They are fairly large. A bit disappointing.

I beta tested this one quite some time ago. This story has ghosts and monsters that jump out at you. It isn't really challenging, and moves a bit slowly. I found the story old and somewhat boring. Not sure this one is CE worthy, but I'm sure some will find it entertaining enough to buy. I may change my mind when the SE comes out, as I often do. Some games just make better SE's. This is not a bad game, but I think better for a lazy day of nothing better to do. I will hold off and see if I like the SE better, but the CE is not for me, unless a really hot deal comes along.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by BearCreekStables on Aug 12, 17 3:09 PM
Just like "nextgengranny" said I am so tired of reading about surprises in the game by the reviews. Even little ones. Does a review have to cover every detail of the game. WHY? How about I really enjoyed it which I did. Just got through playing Subject 13 which has raised the bar for any game. Took me several days with lots of fun so I did not think I would enjoy a simple game again but I did. Played until my demo was over and thinking about the purchase. Just hope it gets hard enough to hold my attention. Again it would be nice for some people to use SPOILER and I guess I will just stop reading reviews so to not be disappointed anymore. Thanks.

Edited for spelling error

Edited on 08/12/2017 at 11:24:32 PM PST

nextgengranny
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Aug 12, 17 4:07 PM
@ BearCreekStables: Yup. And just to clarify for everyone viewing this thread, it was the first review that was published on the sales page, NOT the first one that appears now, that detracted from gameplay for me. Hope everyone who got this game today is enjoying it.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Aug 12, 17 11:34 PM
We should be able to "like" reviews, lol. Thanks bearcreekstables and nextgengranny - we are of like minds!

Ahem, on to the review. Demo only at this point. I really enjoyed this story although the warnings were a little silly - I actually did some actions that I knew would result in "scary" just for grins. But that the game lets you do that is rather fun and unique, so there's a good fun quality (well, I call that fun!) and the game lets you go a bit off-track. However, that really isn't any different from the others in this series. But it is still enjoyable.

Mini-games have been rather simple thus far and HOS have varied from bland to boring. I really think these guys should just head into the adventure only genre and be done with the other fluff as this is a rather good story and I hate to see it ruined by the usual HOPA expectations which MH seems ill-equipped to deliver.

All IMHO of course - to all who do, enjoy!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,160 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 13, 17 2:02 AM
I enjoyed playing the demo. I liked the puzzles I have come across, something I can't say for most puzzles in HOGs, and I haven't - so far - stumbled over one hidden object scene after another, which I prefer.

I like the story, and little Timmy.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,334 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 13, 17 2:04 AM
kgustavson wrote: I really think these guys should just head into the adventure only genre and be done with the other fluff as this is a rather good story and I hate to see it ruined by the usual HOPA expectations which MH seems ill-equipped to deliver.

You've hit the nail precisely on the head (with a hammer I picked up somewhere in this game!) as to MadHead's lack of ability in the HOPA genre. They are great at a good story and the basic mechanics of getting through a really bad situation but their HOS are lacking any inventiveness and the puzzles are nothing special in this game.

Worst of all for me, they've resorted to the trite and over-used missing zip(per) pull in their last two games I thought they were better than that.

Developing some adventure games e.g. something like Subject 13, seems right up MadHeads alley. And I also did some actions designed to scare myself for fun

As to the game, it was OK but nowhere near as good as Subject 360 and even The Broken Tower was better. I found it a bit 'ordinary' to be honest, which is disappointing as generally I love a good MadHead game. But the sale is good enough to buy the CE rather than waiting for the SE.

No tech issues with the demo. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

addictedtofish
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by addictedtofish on Aug 13, 17 4:37 AM
Well I have finished the game and whilst I enjoyed I found it shorter than their previous games.The bonus game was far too short too. Other fishies comments are right, their hops are dull and not always easy to find the morphing object - and not in the strategy guide either. Glad there was a sale today.
In the extras, it shows a jigsaw but when I clicked on it, all I got was a black screen - tried the hint button but that just said click the X at the top (which didn't work either)anybody had this problem?

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Aug 13, 17 8:10 AM
Was pretty excited for this, as I loved the first one and liked the second. I often find the third installment in any series (movies, books, games) is better than the second one, but not in this case. Dreamscape, anyone? You know, the old movie with Dennis Quaid and Max von Sydow? This is a similar premise to that.
I think I agree that the story and graphics of this developer's games far outstrips their junkpile HOP and 6th-grade level puzzles. I find that I'm often brought out of the game immersion when I spot one of those symbol collectibles or work a puzzle that only gets me the missing piece to another puzzle. It's almost as if they wrote a script with a main storyline and the player's items and actions all planned out and then tore it apart to shoehorn in the puzzles and HOPs to give you some of the items. It's not a bad game, just not living up to the first Maze game.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
605 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 14, 17 11:47 AM
I'm not happy at all with this game, for two reasons:

1. One of my pet peeves is when I get the "Hmm, what can I do here?" (or something similar) almost every time I click on something. Frankly, it makes me want to break my PC with a baseball bat.

2. When I want a hint, I want a hint. Not pointing to the same place or object over and over and over. That's not a hint. That's just obnoxious.

I like the darker games and I seek them out, not that this one's very dark. But I'm just not sold on it.

Disappointed here.

[Post New]by bamabreezelulu on Aug 14, 17 1:30 PM
I seldom hop in the pond but I'm going to go w/the flow. Agree too many light flashes, Timmy's voice is way too monotone for a nightmare & bored silly w/spiral collectibles. May buy as an SE but not now. Also, so glad Valdy's back.

WaltzingFish
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by WaltzingFish on Aug 14, 17 2:35 PM
Disappointed as well.
The Bonus Chapter was "fighting a ghost from the past". Rather short. Instead of putting a cherry on the cake we got a pickle. Didn't fit my taste.
Wish I had waited for the SE.

nextgengranny
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Aug 14, 17 3:32 PM
@ Jurinne: I saw your comment & just had to respond (re, "Hmm, what could I do here?"), because that's how I've come to feel every time I see it in a game now ( ). Reminds me of another dev's infamous "I suppose I'd better move along". Sorry for your frustration, but thanks for making me laugh so hard my eyes watered. Cheers!

Go to: