Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Roaring Twenties Solitaire here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Aug 14, 17 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/14/2017 at 9:44:17 AM PST

anniebird
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Roaring Twenties Solitaire here.

[Post New]by anniebird on Aug 14, 17 6:40 AM
There are hundreds of different solitaire games -- why are all the Big Fish solitaire games the same? If they ever offered something with a little variety I'd buy it in a minute - this is just annoying.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 14, 17 7:13 AM
When I first played it, I had to strain to see what the cards were supposed to be because of the font and the colors. After one hand, I did find that there was another option for font/number size, but the game itself was so unappealing, that I didn't bother playing a second hand.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Aug 14, 17 8:55 AM
anniebird wrote:There are hundreds of different solitaire games -- why are all the Big Fish solitaire games the same? If they ever offered something with a little variety I'd buy it in a minute - this is just annoying.
Totally agree, come on BFG give us some variety.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Aug 14, 17 9:34 AM
This is a Match 2 type solitaire game where you remove cards from the board by matching two identical numbered cards, regardless of suit. You must remove all "special" cards to win the hand, otherwise you will have to replay the level. You can choose from 5 different Card backs, and 2 Face Card themes, one regular card, one with large numbers.
Roaring Twenties Solitaire can be a challenging game, but not in a good way. First of all, the card colors are the same which make it difficult to differentiate between cards, everything just blends in, although it does help slightly to choose the large font card choice. Secondly, there are too many double and sometimes triples, you get one deck card after another that is the same number, even the cards on the board are doubled, you match one set of cards only to reveal the card underneath is the same number. I will assume that was the only way to make this game more difficult. Lastly, you cannot progress if you don't match all of the special cards, period. I spent almost the entire 60 minute demo trying to beat level 4!
You can buy the usual Shop items for solitaire, to reveal more face down cards, remove a stubborn card, buy wildcards, more undos and shuffles etc. I love a really good solitaire game, especially a Higher/Lower solitaire. I personally won't be buying this disaster, especially when all the further I got was level 4!

bfgIlinalta
3,807 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIlinalta on Aug 14, 17 9:44 AM
Howdy Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Roaring Twenties Solitaire here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Roaring Twenties Solitaire.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. In the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

And, finally, please feel free to PM one of our active Moderators if there are any further questions. We're all happy to help out and listen as best we can.

bfgIlinalta

jimjoeb
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by jimjoeb on Aug 14, 17 3:31 PM
Totally agree with the other reviews. Other than the readability of the cards, the graphics and music are great. However, the game play is very disappointing, boring in fact. Also, it clearly needs some sort of tutorial to explain to gamers that it is a match game rather than one of the many varieties of solitaire. A storyline as an option would have been interesting as well.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Aug 14, 17 4:08 PM
The devs really missed the mark on this one! Not only is the gameplay a bit boring since it is a match-2, but if all the cards on the board are not removed, you must keep replaying the hand until that is accomplished. This quickly turns into beating one's head against a brick wall.

You start with only 1 "Undo" and no other types of "assistance". The other helpful "power-ups" must be purchased with coins you earn clearing cards off the board. The problem with that is you do not earn a tremendous amount of coins per hand, but the purchase price of things like, "clear one card off the board", "shuffle the deck", etc., is very, very high.

I buy games like this to play between games in my favorite genre, HOG (CE, please), because I cannot afford those games very often. I like games that keep my mind active and still provide a fun, relaxing time. This will not be a purchase for me.

lcjdqs
Clownfish
Clownfish
691 Posts

[Post New]by lcjdqs on Aug 14, 17 5:15 PM
All I have to say is I love cards. This game could be fun if the numbers and letters were larger. I have to strain to be able to match. A no buy for me. Wish they would get a pyramid game match thirteen.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Aug 14, 17 7:19 PM
lcjdqs wrote:All I have to say is I love cards. This game could be fun if the numbers and letters were larger. I have to strain to be able to match. A no buy for me. Wish they would get a pyramid game match thirteen.

Did you change the appearance of the face of the cards in the Options? Even before you begin playing, there is a choice of two styles for the face of the cards. One has a single, large number in the center of the card.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Aug 15, 17 3:39 AM
Totally swimming upstream, I sort of like this game, though I prefer the higher/lower variety.

I reached level 9 in the demo, with having to replay only a couple of hands, and have used a PCC on it.

I do wish the cards were a bit more colorful, but I am having no problem with them.
The music is pleasant enough, though, I do turn it down a bit on the jazzier tunes!

There is a single tutorial page, it opened immediately after I clicked play for the first time. The center square on the page tells what type of solitaire it is, the surrounding squares explain the function of each area of the playing screen.

You can access it by clicking on the "?", next to the card bed, at the bottom of the screen at any time.

As always, try the demo for yourself to make sure it is compatible with your OS, and what you, personally, expect from a game!

Happy Gaming,
BK

meme2222
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

if you are having difficulity seeing rank of cards

[Post New]by meme2222 on Aug 16, 17 7:14 PM
If you are having difficulty seeing rank of cards they do have options of different card types. One will show you bigger rank in corner of card but I like the one with images. Like the lady, the lad and the gentleman also image of quantity, 9 hearts, spades, diamonds or clovers. If you use image to match it is easier to see instead of trying to decipher one number in corner. Then you play it just like mahjong. The aces are one big shiny image of heart, spade, clover or diamond. Just remember you don't have to match same suit, just quantity. I do play on a 32 in screen but I think looking at the pictures should work on a laptop also.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Please post your REVIEWS for Roaring Twenties Solitaire here.

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Aug 17, 17 10:13 AM
I'm swimming the same direction as BearKat. I find the design of the cards very attractive and not hard to match.

Nevertheless, not a buy for me. I like Golf-type (up & down) solitaires much better. They allow for some strategy while this one permits hardly any.

moonryu
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by moonryu on Aug 19, 17 9:10 PM
This type of solitaire, especially in the upper levels requires quite a bit of thought when playing.
If you want to earn 3 stars, I have learned that you don't clear the stray singleton cards left in a stack -- you might need them to clear a card at the very end.

Additionally -- the shuffle option in my option is incredibly powerful, especially if you use it at the very beginning of the game, if there are no cards to be removed. This is especially important when the hand starts with the 20 to 30 amount of draw cards.

kore21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by kore21 on Oct 11, 17 11:25 AM
i don't usually play match 2, preferring 1up or down. i went for it because i like the 1920s theme. the art for this, while decent, turned out to be a bit inconsistent. a lot of the cars/trucks look too modern to be 1920s era. oops!

card play suffers from the same problem as most big fish solitaire games: the same numbers repeat excessively, which limits your moves. devs of card games really need to be a bit more creative with their pseudo random number generators. i had to play level 13 literally 8 times because of this, & finally succeeded by reloading the game (which generates new number sequences). (hint to devs: multiply your 52 cards by 1000 or even 10,000 so you have say 52,000. you get a better random number spread choosing from a larger range. kind of like statistics where you need a larger sample size to learn anything of merit.)

scoring is a complete mystery. usually it's around 7000 or less for a hand. but i had one with the incredible score of 57,000, possibly due to combos? & another 15,000. because of this strange scoring, i was able to buy ALL shop items by level 24. the game appears to have 120 levels, so ... i have absolutely nothing to achieve beyond this point. achieving shop items is half the fun in a solitaire game. & as there's no storyline, i have no screaming desire to get to the end.

it's not a bad little effort. the programming is just very, very basic, & really needs to be broadened a bit to keep the player engaged.

Go to: