Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Midnight Calling: Wise Dragon Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Aug 17, 17 12:40 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/17/2017 at 9:20:55 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Midnight Calling: Wise Dragon Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Aug 17, 17 3:23 AM
My kinda game! Fantasy fairy tale the kind I like! Not the creepy spooky ones that have been coming out lately! I'm jazzed! YAY!!!!!!
Just came back to add to my comment. It has 4 chapters plus bonus. I'm not a big stickler on games being short, but this one moves along too quick!

Edited on 08/17/2017 at 6:49:47 PM PST

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Midnight Calling: Wise Dragon Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Aug 17, 17 8:05 AM
Four Stars!! A fantasy game!! I am delighted to see this come up this morning. Beautiful graphics, good music, a helper for high places that isn't too intrusive. Thank you for this dragon tale that doesn't seem to be the usual demon story that we've had lately but, that is an assumption based only on a few minutes of the demo. I'm off to see the dragon.

Happy gaming!

scpotamus
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by scpotamus on Aug 17, 17 9:05 AM
Much too cutesy for my tastes, but I imagine others will like it very much. Disneyesque. Enjoy!

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Aug 17, 17 9:20 AM
Greetings Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Midnight Calling: Wise Dragon Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Midnight Calling: Wise Dragon Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. In the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

And, finally, please feel free to PM one of our active Moderators if there are any further questions. We're all happy to help out and listen as best we can.

bfgBeruna

Edited on 08/17/2017 at 9:20:46 AM PST

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Aug 17, 17 10:34 AM
I just LOVE LOVE LOVE this game... It has bright, beautiful graphics and a great dragon story (hey, it's not a story with a portal or a missing family member - YEAH!)
Some different games I've never played before.
Reminds me of a Disney movie put into a game.

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Aug 17, 17 1:13 PM
Based on the demo: I don't generally pay much attention to achievements, but I appeared to have so many "popping up" that curiosity finally got the better of me, & I clicked on the "Go to achievements" tab. This was towards the end of the demo, & I had gotten 14 out of 24 or so, so I'd have to say this isn't a terribly challenging game. That doesn't make it a bad game in my book, as I often enjoy just playing a game for fun. There were definitely some fun & creative things in this demo, but overall, for whatever reason, it just missed the mark for me. I think this is a game one really needs to demo (which I always advise, anyway, prior to purchasing), as I think whether this game appeals to one's sensibilities or not will be a major factor in the decision of whether to purchase or not. The helper was a little too cutesy/cartoony for my personal tastes, but it does sit quietly in it's corner when not in use, so it wasn't in any way distracting. As for the collectibles & morphs, the former were generally quite obvious, the latter somewhat less so. I doubt I'll review this game for the sales page, as it appears to have been saturated w/ "demo only" reviews already, but if I did, I'd probably rate it 2.5-3 stars. (I should also mention that it started acting a little glitchy at about the 3/4 mark, but it never actually bailed on me; just froze up for maybe up to 10 seconds or so from time to time.)

Edited on 08/17/2017 at 1:55:48 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 17, 17 7:57 PM
Hi friends! As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to others. That said, the story is nothing new, but interesting. The graphics are very cartoon-like and often two dimensional. Still, they are very clear and colors are very sharp. Game play was very good, with no problems during the demo and the scene fit my large screen quite nicely. Voices aren't too bad. I thought the prince was a bit wimpy, but didn't get to hear the dragon's voice. Hopefully that is much deeper and appropriate. Sound FX are well done, but the screaming really got annoying very quickly. Animation is well done. Music was monotonous. Yes, we do have a raccoon helper in this one too.

HOPs are fairly clear and item are not difficult to find. Pretty much straight HOPs, with an occasional interactive HOP thrown in. HOPs are few and far between. I did not see that you could switch to anything else. Puzzles are painfully simple and take no time or brain power to complete. Hint system is helpful, but 15 second refill is a bit too long. We do have the transport feature for longer locations. This is very nice, as we do a lot of back tracking to the same locations.

Collectibles are 30 fragments which are quite large and easy to see. We also have 9 dragons of various shapes and colors, along with a morphing item in each scene. The item morphs fairly slowly, so it isn't difficult to find.

Even with the simple graphics, this wasn't a bad game, but I think it could have been done a little better without much work. Some scenes looked like they were pasted on. The game moved slowly and didn't have a lot of dialog. The music almost overpowered the game, even turned down to 50%. I didn't really see much in the way of challenge. I think this is geared more toward the beginner who needs to get the feel of a HOP before jumping in with both feet. There will certainly be some who find this one a great game, and that's okay. It was just too simple for me, but I will recommend it for beginners. No buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Aug 18, 17 12:00 AM
First of all, a huge shout out to the pachyderm for understanding the "no plus items indicator"!!! They are the ONLY dev who actually gets it - I don't want them outlined in bright green, I don't want a big plus sign next to them regardless of an available action, I JUST DON'T WANT TO KNOW! I want the challenge of it! So a huge THANK YOU for that.
Unfortunately, the game itself was rather pedantic. I enjoyed the graphics and I liked my helper (thought he was rather funny in the few times used) but the puzzles were blah and so were the HOS. Collectibles pretty much slapped you on the side of your head so no challenge there either. I did like the story though so maybe an SE purchase for me.

Enjoy the eclipse kids! Make sure to wear your glasses !

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 18, 17 12:48 AM
I like the demo, and will buy the CE because there is more than just one collectable.

I like the helper - cute thing - and the graphics. I also like those little hidden object scenes, those I zoom into and then get a list of 5 or so items. I much prefer those to the large HOS.

The one thing I don't like is that the inventory, when up, is much too big and covers a lot of the bottom scene. I like to keep my inventory open rather than having it moving up and down all the time.
Other devs have made them slimline or even given us a transparent inventory, where you just see the items and barely see the inventory. Much prefer those.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 19, 17 2:13 AM
I have to admit I wasn't hopeful this game would be to my taste but I was surprised at how much fun it was to play! I was disappointed when the demo ended, with something I should have realised would happen but didn't suspect a thing!

I love the bright colourful graphics; 'cartoon style' I suppose would be the correct description and done in a Walt Disney way which was utterly charming. The HOS are varied and very well done, as are the puzzles, which I loved; some you may have seen before but done in a different way to keep them fresh and interesting. I don't agree with the 'painfully simple' comment at all and they do take some brain power; I guess it depends how good you are at puzzles but obviously some people are better than others.

Plenty of things to look for; dragons, tiles and morphing objects. You also get a helper, a raccoon whose company I actually enjoyed! Some of his actions are hilarious and he isn't intrusive unless he can actually help; otherwise he sits quietly in the corner. I didn't notice the extras, I was too caught up in the game! The map transports but doesn't show tasks.

My only gripe isn't with this game in particular but Elephant games in general. They don't seem to grasp the concept of 'no sparkles'. I keep them on for the HOS only but items to pick up are glittering away like a jewellery shop I want to find these things for myself, not have them sitting there shouting "yoo-hoo I'm over here, can you see me, I'm sparkling like a Christmas tree"

Anyway, I'm not letting it ruin this game and it will be a buy for me; let's face it, who doesn't love a game with a dragon in it

No tech issues with the demo. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Aug 22, 17 6:37 PM
I'm a fan of the castle journeys, although none of the Midnight Calling games come close to the never ending journey of the original cult classic Midnight Castle. The reason I have been giving the last couple of games in this series only a four star rating, is because of the graphics. Obviously the storylines are enchanting, and I don't expect realistic graphics in a fantasy based game, but these graphics aren't good at all, and way too cartoonish in nature to take seriously, which is a shame, because with better graphics, this series would be a force to reckon with!
Diana's father Benedict is a well known magician, who has apparently discovered the secrets of the Wise Dragon, but may not be alive to talk about it! After the entire town was obliterated by a dragon, Diana learns that her father suspected foul play, and left behind clues so that she could continue the journey her father began. Only the worthy, who pass the Wise Dragon's test, are able to see the elusive and of course wise dragon. Could the Wise Dragon be responsible for the town's demise, or are more sinister forces at play here?
This Collector's Edition version has some good "frill" extra's, such as Morphing Objects, Achievements, Fresco Fragments and Collectible Dragons. I was a little disappointed however, that the cursor changes to a hand whenever you come across one of the CE bling offerings, and even more disappointed by the raccoon helper!
The Hidden Object Scenes are varied with Interactive List finds, Silhouetted Shape finds and Multiple finds. One HOP in particular, I actually found to be entertaining, and rarely offered, which required you to find the exact areas shown inside square tiles. It would be nice to see more of this type.
The Mini Games are fairly easy, and some are multi-layered. Below are brief descriptions of some of the games you'll encounter during the demo:
1) Rotate disks to complete the image.
2) Select tokens from the top and bottom that create the symbol shown in the center.
3) Swap disks and select the bottom symbol to change which disks are available.
4) Select and drag circles to rotate and select again to lock into place.
5) Select the outer symbols that make up the symbols in the center.
6) Drag 3 or more identical tiles in several Match 3 games.
7) Move animal tokens along the lines to their matching spaces.
8) Destroy all but one chip by selecting a chip located between two matching chips.
MIDNIGHT CALLING GAMES AVAILABLE
Title***Collector's Edition Release Date***Average Rating
-Anabel (February 17-15) 3.9
-Jeronimo (June 11-16) 4.1
-Valeria (January 19-17) 3.6
-Wise Dragon (August 17-17) 4.5
This Collector's Edition has 8 Wallpapers, 8 Concept Art pictures, 4 Music Soundtracks, 24 Achievements to earn, a Secret Room, Collectible Dragons, Fresco Puzzle Fragments, Morphing Objects, a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter, enjoy the castle journey!

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Aug 23, 17 2:10 AM
Even though I am a fan of creepy scary type games, I really enjoyed this one as well. I am a dragon fan, so that was a plus on my side. The game is really cute and enjoyable. Someone else described it as a Disney movie made into a game, and I agree with that. It was actually nice to take a break and just enjoy something cute and fun. The graphics were cartoonish, but well done and very bright and colorful. Lots of collectibles to find and we get cute little helpers as well. If you want a break from the creepy games, as I have read on many other forums that people are wanting, then this is the game for you. Loved it!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 25, 17 1:56 AM
Finished the game and loved it. The only downside for me was that the game had way too many puzzles. I don't like stumbling over a puzzle around every corner. There were several puzzles in each room, far too many for my liking.

[Post New]by shirleysca on Aug 30, 17 7:51 AM
I can not get the game to start after I download it. I click play and nothing happens. Has this ever happened to you?

bfgIlinalta
3,807 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIlinalta on Aug 31, 17 2:52 PM
Hello to our Reviewers,

Thank you to our reviewers for providing their insights and thoughts about Midnight Calling: Wise Dragon Collector's Edition. I'm sorry to hear that the game doesn't appear to be playing after it has been downloaded and installed. I just wanted to swim by real fast to provide some assistance with that, as well as provide the steps to take to contact our Support Team.

For the game crashing or not opening when clicking Play, shirleysca, I wanted to suggest some quick steps to see if some changes or updates to the computer can quickly resolve that issue:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen

For any problems that continue after trying those steps, I recommend contacting our Technical Support Team. Our Reps are always happy to help out and will do their best to get back in touch as soon as possible.

Before I finish, I want to remind all of our players that if there is a technical issue occurring, to be sure to report it to the designated thread for the specific game. For this particular game, the designated thread is below:

Please post any TECH ISSUES for Midnight Calling: Wise Dragon Collector's Edition here.

Posting technical issues to the appropriate threads helps both the teams behind the game, as well as moderators, better see the impact of player reported issues. It also allows both teams to better respond to those reports. Thank you for helping keep our forums as accessible as possible.

Thank you for your patience. If there are any further questions, please feel free to PM me or any of our other moderators. We are all happy to listen and help out as best we can.

bfgIlinalta

[Post New]by NancySusan on Sep 3, 17 7:36 AM
Well, I minded this game a lot less than I thought I would, but there is a serious repetitiveness with placing this object into that object all the time and not much else to do. I liked the color scheme, I didn't mind the attempted fantastical aspect, I did mind the voiceovers, which did not match any of the characters. Drake came off as about as callow as they come, and our heroine doesn't sound much better. I didn't mind the pretty silly looking racoon helper either, which does some pretty un-racoonlike things like hiss and gesticulate and throw things at creatures impeding game play, but otherwise it stays quietly on the lower left looking slightly loopy. There are HOPs now and then, and I always like collectibles and morphing objects, but generally after about 60 minutes of play, I wasn't sure I cared enough to continue. I don't think I'll get this game, just because it doesn't hold my interest, but I've played far worse. It's a nice game, and some people should enjoy it.

demon13
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by demon13 on Sep 26, 17 7:01 PM
Possible spoiler. Not even sure this is where to post. But in the achievements it says I missed all the shards. It said nothing about them in the game or the strategy guide. Anyone know what they are talking about? I got all the other collectables. Thank you in advance.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Oct 26, 17 8:40 PM
I loved the game and agree with the positive reviews but not so much the mini-games, just a few dozen too many for my likes. VALDY, I agree with you.
I'm giving this one out of possible 5 , if not for all the mini's this one would gotten a 5 on my personal enjoy-ability scale.

Go to: