Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Spirits of Mystery: The Moon Crystal Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Aug 19, 17 12:39 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/19/2017 at 8:09:52 AM PST

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Spirits of Mystery: The Moon Crystal Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Aug 19, 17 3:19 AM
Based on the demo, this game looks to me to be an absolute, hideous mess. I thought the graphics poor, the storyline ???, & all but one mini-game completely lackluster. Of the HO scenes, one was revisited (it was better the second time, imo), & one incorporated a time-consuming "gimmick" that I just didn't have the patience for, so I got around it by using the hint. I couldn't make out what the collectibles were, as they were smallish & darkish, but I had no trouble spotting them, as they were items that were out of place. It's worth pointing out that before the menu comes up, you're warned that the game contains violence & disturbing content. While I suppose the latter is a subjective judgment, there's definitely violence, for those of you for whom that's a deal-breaker. It is for me, but even if it weren't, this demo had only one HO scene & one mini-game I found moderately appealing, & a storyline I'm uninterested in, so obviously, it's not for me. For those of you it appeals to, enjoy. Happy Saturday, folks.

Edited on 08/19/2017 at 3:20:03 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Spirits of Mystery: The Moon Crystal Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Aug 19, 17 6:04 AM
Another creepy game! Were are all the light fun games! Oh yah there in my history from a couple of yrs ago! Ill just play those! I agree w/ nextgengranny! A lot of back & 4th goofyness! Seen it before!

MaryEl
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by MaryEl on Aug 19, 17 6:39 AM
I agree with nanafraser. Another creepy game. Tired of spirits, portals, and all that science fiction stuff. I play and replay all my old games which were lighter and more realistic. So I guess I will wait until BF finds some better games to offer. So glad I have lots and lots of games to replay! I guess there must be a larger audience out there that these games appeal to. So, have fun. Happy Saturday. Maybe next week will bring something I can purchase.

Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by 0161 on Aug 19, 17 6:42 AM
nanafraser wrote:Another creepy game! Were are all the light fun games! Oh yah there in my history from a couple of yrs ago! Ill just play those! I agree w/ nextgengranny! A lot of back & 4th goofyness! Seen it before!

Could not agree with you more! Sick to death of morbid purple /pink games something light, airy and funny way overdue here.

gillydi53
Clownfish
Clownfish
703 Posts

[Post New]by gillydi53 on Aug 19, 17 7:00 AM
I said the same thing a long time ago . I like to play games for relaxation and pleasure not to see monsters , blood and gore time after time . I wonder what's in the developer minds sometimes .

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Aug 19, 17 7:54 AM
Well a happy birthday to you too princess! What a dark and dreary way to celebrate. When the Spirits of Mystery series began in 2011, although there was a bit of a dark theme in the first game the Amber Maiden, the games have become much darker. With today’s game The Moon Crystal, I believe the series has hit a new low. A series that I could once enjoy has become so demonic and oppressively dark that it is impossible to play. I love fantasy games but not these dark and dreary games with people being fed to some evil entity in the beginning cut scene for the game. Then in the first scene of the actual game we see a priest being stabbed by some sort of demon who we must then battle.

BFG prints warnings on some games that don’t merit any sort of public warning but, IMHO, Spirits of Mystery should certainly come with a bold red print warning on the game’s home page. Because I find the game so dark and disturbing, I am not even going to describe the rest of the game because it should be sufficient to say that this is definitely not a family game. There has been a push and trend lately to offer these darker games and I see nothing in this particular game that is worth paying for or playing. I personally play games to unwind and relax from a busy schedule but this is definitely not that game. At one time I could go to BFG and find games far better than the drivel that is being offered today.

I can in no way recommend this game. Sorry BFG this game is a no sale for me.

Edited on 08/19/2017 at 7:57:03 AM PST

Foxy57
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by Foxy57 on Aug 19, 17 8:03 AM
As if there was not enough violence in this world. AMAX thinks they should add more.

Definetely NOT my type of game. For those who heu.. enjoy, well good for you.

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Aug 19, 17 8:09 AM
Greetings Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Spirits of Mystery: The Moon Crystal Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Spirits of Mystery: The Moon Crystal Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. In the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

And, finally, please feel free to PM one of our active Moderators if there are any further questions. We're all happy to help out and listen as best we can.

bfgBeruna

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Aug 19, 17 12:54 PM
Four stars for graphics if you like grey. The ladies are well drawn but I'm afraid this series has lost its entertainment value so I'll just end it here. This is a definite no buy for me. I have all the rest of them and they have, with this one, gone down the slippery slope into Dante's Inferno which I have no interest in so I'll just pass and go back to TM's and my older games.

bwake47
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by bwake47 on Aug 19, 17 3:39 PM
Why are there always complaints about spooky games? We get bored if we get nothing but fairytale games. I understand that there are members who just don't like scary games, but please don't take the excitement away from us who do. I'm really looking forward to playing this game and have enjoyed all the rest of the series. It was mysterious, spooky games that got me into HOGs. I loved them 8 yrs. ago and love them now.

I wish the developers would come out with murder mysteries that don't involve super detectives with supernatural abilities and unreal gadgets to help solve the mystery. Just good old common sense!

Thank you BFG and AMAX for putting out this game. Can't wait to take advantage of the great weekend sale..

Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by 41273 on Aug 19, 17 5:54 PM
I have to admit that I am really tired of enchanted forests and fairies. While I'm not crazy about blood and gore, at least I don't have a cutesy creature looking over my shoulder! I really think that the developers are "damned if they do and damned if they don't". I just play the games that I already have if I don't see anything that interests me.

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Aug 19, 17 7:48 PM
Just chiming in to agree w/ some points biscuitsmama made. I agree this game should have a warning on the sales page, as the violence is quite graphic. The fact that there are reviews up referring to it doesn't relieve either bfg or the devs of their responsibility in that regard, imo. Also, I find the recent trend toward more violence in HOPA games to be a disturbing one. Spooky, creepy, etc. is one thing; graphic violence is another. It's also been my observation that games that rely on some sort of bizarre "thrill factor" tend to fall down in other regards (kind of like slasher movies as compared to actual horror movies), & to me, this game is an example of that, as I found the overall production values to be quite low. Just my two cents.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Aug 19, 17 8:07 PM
Based solely on the demo: I found this to be fascinating; well-thought-out, with appropriately ominous music, wonderful voice acting, just challenging enough without being frustrating, imaginative, with varied types of HOS's, good mini-games and even the ability for the player to decide the course of events in some instances. The graphics are beautifully drawn and the colors are certainly what you would expect for a tense, frightening plot. (Think, Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds", not "Mary Poppins".)

This is a definite purchase for me! Thank you devs, for a wonderfully spine-tingling thriller that allows us to become heroes once again!

For those of you who find games like this too creepy or disturbing, you might want to not only read the description on the game page, but watch the video. Words on a page can only tell you so much, but as the saying goes: " A picture is worth a thousand words". The video is a quick, simple, easy way to get a much better idea of the color palette, characters and overall theme of a game. (The video for this game clearly shows a "demon" being stabbed through the back with the blade emerging from the throat area.)

In the case of this particular game, the screen before any action occurs after you press "Play" in the main menu shows the following message in large red text.

"This game contains violence and some disturbing scenes".

Personally, I find that a fairly good indicator of what is to come.

Remember: "Try before you buy!"

Edited on 08/27/2017 at 2:51:51 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Aug 20, 17 1:25 PM
Its really unkind to bash peoples likes or dislikes! Fishes have there rights to not like or like a certain game! Not cool to put fishes down! If you like game say it, not say it! Not the players!

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Aug 25, 17 7:04 AM
I'm going to continue giving Amax kudos for the fantastic job they are doing. These guys are clearly putting on their thinking caps, to introduce fresh new ideas in a stale environment. Think about it, when is the last time you saw a different or unusual feature in a HOPA game? Amax has got mojo, and my prediction is these devs are going for the gold, I can't wait to see what's to come, I'm betting they have many more tricks up their sleeves, and perhaps a new series or two in store for us. They still need to correct the widescreen issue however, none of the Amax/ERS games automatically support widescreen, I have to either play their games in windowed mode, or adjust my screens resolution, otherwise, the game stretches out too far and cuts off everything on the sides, hopefully, they hear my pleas and fix this annoying issue.

Even though I'm singing praises to the devs about the fresh features of the game, I am disappointed in the game itself, which I go into detail about on the main review page. In a nutshell, their games still don't automatically adjust for widescreen, they still repeat HOP's in the same location, and in my opinion, this CE version has little to offer at double the cost of the SE version.

SPIRITS OF MYSTERY GAMES AVAILABLE IN ORDER
Title***Collector's Edition Release Date***Average Rating
-Amber Maiden (January 5-12) 4.2
-Song of the Phoenix (April 12-12) 4.7
-The Dark Minotaur (December 27-12) 4.4
-The Silver Arrow (December 12-13) 4.2
-Chains of Promise (August 13-15) 3.5
-Family Lies (March 24-16) 3.5
-The Fifth Kingdom (January 12-17) 4.2
-Illusions (June 15-17) 3.0
-The Moon Crystal (August 19-17) 3.3

acter
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by acter on Aug 28, 17 10:41 AM
While I don't love the dark, creepy graphics, they are not the thing that irritated me about this game.

There were TWELVE collectibles, no morphs, no souvenir room, nothing to make this worth the price of a collector's edition (never mind the big ol' runtime error so many of us have got).

The bonus game was okay, but I really buy CEs for the interactive things. The early games in this series were kind of thin, then the last few had been beefed up, and now we are back to pretty thin.

I rarely complain about games, and I have hundreds, but this time.. I was disappointed.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jan 22, 18 6:52 PM
I liked this game. I have to admit it wasn't worth the price of a CE. had to skip some puzzle's as I was getting bored towards the end. Too much skipping around.

Go to: