cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Deadtime Stories comments and reviews

[Post New]by cche on Apr 29, 10 12:56 AM
Played 38 minutes completing one "recipe" and part of another. Not sure yet how many in total.

Graphics are very nice, hidden object scenes are junkpile with justification. No anachronisms, but a few items don't seem likely to stay where you find them.

Puzzles are nicely integrated into story and game structure, though so far there hasn't been anything difficult or original.

Music is nicely done, clips not long, but long enough to avoid irritation.

Story is fairly good so far, though I haven't got to much to judge by.

Altogether an above average iHOG which, if it is long enough will easily justify the price. Assuming 4 hours of play, 6.0 on my personal scale of 10.

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

Re:Deadtime Stories comments and reviews

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Apr 29, 10 1:09 AM
Agree with everything that has been said - just the right level of difficulty for me. I like the spell gathering idea - gives a purpose to your searching. I like the idea that some hidden object scenes are visited twice (I give myself a mental pat on the back if I can remember the (few) repeated items - sad lol).

All in all, a heartfealt thank you , for this oasis in what has for me been a bit of a desert in the last week.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 29, 10 1:41 AM
Wow. This is amaaaaazing! So much so even though it is just 2 freakin' days before the punch card roll-over I'm buying it. Heck, before punch cards existed that never would have entered my mind so *shrug*

Insanely good graphics, good sound, good voice acting, quality production, smooth mechanics, challenging but not impossible inventory adventure puzzles, well hidden objects, hints are good and refill nicely, scary story (I know about La Laurie *shudder*) and just a step waaaaay above.

If you are anti-occult stay well away. This game is not for you.

Personally I LOVE IT! 30 minutes in (and realizing that could change) it's totally Poodlebear Approved!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 29, 10 1:42 AM
nelliegemini wrote:I like the idea that some hidden object scenes are visited twice (I give myself a mental pat on the back if I can remember the (few) repeated items - sad lol).

I like that too. I also bet it's good brain exercise so

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Apr 29, 10 2:00 AM
Poodlebear wrote:

To me that's like an order to buy it. I'm pro-occult, pro-scare and pro-darkness. Downloading at the moment, but judging from the threads and from the pictures, it's going to be a definite buy for me.

BFGJunkie
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by BFGJunkie on Apr 29, 10 2:03 AM
I LOVE IT, it's been so dry lately, but now a winner, and BOO HOO, I have to wait till May.
Many thanks to the developers and BFG for this superb game.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Apr 29, 10 2:32 AM
oooooooh.......loved reading the reviews...I'm d/loading now and am excited about this one. the OK winds are howling outside and going to continue with a dark and stormy night predicted tonight. sounds like the perfect game for all that!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 29, 10 2:32 AM
I totally agree with the above comments and have already bought it. I really it.

This game is the oasis in the desert that was April.

C

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on Apr 29, 10 3:01 AM
Poodlebear wrote:Wow. This is amaaaaazing! So much so even though it is just 2 freakin' days before the punch card roll-over I'm buying it. Heck, before punch cards existed that never would have entered my mind so *shrug*

Insanely good graphics, good sound, good voice acting, quality production, smooth mechanics, challenging but not impossible inventory adventure puzzles, well hidden objects, hints are good and refill nicely, scary story (I know about La Laurie *shudder*) and just a step waaaaay above.

Personally I LOVE IT! 30 minutes in (and realizing that could change) it's totally Poodlebear Approved!

Well, you just got me to take a look at it! Absolutely love fantasy, occult themed games. And there's Ranch Rush 2 released. **very big sigh** Couldn't this have all happened earlier in the month?? I will be checking this one out, too.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 29, 10 3:33 AM
Poodle said it best! this one is a winner! Outstanding graphics sell me every time but this game also had some good play and is not too easy. Love it!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 29, 10 3:41 AM
WOW!!! Absolutely a buy for me. Not often does a game come down the pike that first visual tell you this is an original piece of art. Not even a video on the game page but the stills said it. Hit me like Mishap Accidental Haunting, but don't know if the same devs, think this may be Russians. Ooozing with artistry, and that's just the graphics. One of just 3 games I turn off mute, earbuds are a must for stereo. Sit back, relax and play with it time for me.

At first I thought I won't get very far without a walkthrough, and it tells you you have to think things through yourself. But it's the kind of game if I would get stuck or spend more time than others on a scene that's okay. In fact, just to sit and admire the colors and drawings I want more time. So wouldn't matter to me if it were a short game, I can stretch this one out gladly. I was surprised I got as far as I did, into the second potion.

BIG PLUS for me, the beautiful botanical book pages, and the flora scenes where I could sit and try to ID the plants. I grew herbs for years and collect botanical books and drawings, so was a surprise to get that bonus. The history of herbs and uses through the centuries is one of my fav things.

Not much of a game review since it's concept for me, but the gameplay isn't above my brain (so far) Love the new HOGs opening here and there where I may not expect it, color glows, some instruction when/where you need a tip. Arrows to guide to another scene and back, the chapter seemed pretty self contained so it didn't tax my weakened short term memory. Was proud of myself I at least found my way through the gate to the house. Only got to doing the potion to clean the mirror.

OUIJA BOARD ALERT, for those with religious qualms. Fear not though, no fortune telling or divining, just a picture of alphabet where you point to letters to spell out words you already got as a clue. Don't need to be psychic LOL, like games you point and click numbers to open a safe or cash register. Got that one easy enough, no random guessing.

I think I clicked around enough to see there isn't a penalty or scolding for randoms or misclicks. And as long as I spend on a level the loops of music didn't feel repetitious to turn off, really sets the mood very well, semi-classic.

Here an unspent credit wants to jump on BUY and continue. I'm in that same quandry, wait a day, don't waste a punch being the 7th.....oh agony. Think I'll DL demo on my pc and give me another hour til the 1st.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Apr 29, 10 3:43 AM
This game is positively brilliant. I hadn't even used up my demo time when I bought it. The graphics are superb, there's a story line, different things to do, it's got some real challenges, and oh yes--it's creepy. Very creepy.

Deliciously so.

[Post New]by pratchettfan777 on Apr 29, 10 4:13 AM
Doesn't sound like it has a timer option and therefore would not be as enjoyable to some of us. Occult theme and graphics apart it sounds like the AVERAGE la de da ihog.

That being said, I might give it a try.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 29, 10 4:38 AM
No, there isn't an option, the game is untimed. Isn't that the point? to have time to appreciate the talent that went into it as a whole production? Time to just enjoy or think without pressure? Maybe I just have too much appreciation for others' talent, I don't fast forward through a good movie, maybe I enjoy just watching it again. I don't roller skate through an art exhibition with one eye on the exit. I say let's give a big score to the developers, let them have their trophies this time for a job well done. How anyone survives selling a product like this for $7 is beyond me. Guess that's why we have "starving artists".

It will surprise me if this offering isn't #1 soon on the charts and holding. But, as with everything else, we are all free to our opinions, likes and dislikes and tastes.

I don't even care for the creepy, and usually avoid it unless other elements balance out the horror or blood letting. But so far, if it doesn't change, may be like Sweeny Todd we know what's in the story but not in our face, so that's ok creepy and knowing it is fantasy or fiction.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Apr 29, 10 10:40 AM
I agree PUZZLE, it is NOT soooo creepy!

I like "some" horror flicks. I also, say its Fantasy

THANKS 4 your comments

Happy Gaming

PEN

PS LOVE the art work too

Emmmms1974
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Emmmms1974 on Jun 7, 10 2:42 AM
Absolutely LOVE this game, shame it wasn't longer but still an awesome buy!

Go to: