Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Legends: The Cursed Gift Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Aug 24, 17 12:41 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/24/2017 at 6:53:27 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Legends: The Cursed Gift Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Aug 24, 17 4:02 AM
Oh great another creepy game! NOT! Maybe there will be a little lighter one Saturday!

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Legends: The Cursed Gift Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Aug 24, 17 6:55 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Haunted Legends: The Cursed Gift Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Haunted Legends: The Cursed Gift Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Aug 24, 17 7:35 AM
I didn't know what to expect from this game, as I've never played this series, but this demo was really boring to me. Everything about it seemed lacking in any kind of creative spark; it felt like playing something that had come trundling down a conveyor belt on an assembly line. Usually, there's at least one or two things I enjoy about a demo, even if I don't care for it overall, but I honestly can't think of a thing in this case.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 24, 17 10:15 AM
Feels like they have wrung everything out of this dwarf that was worth using. Getting old. Series seems to have run its course. This episode seems to be disjointed and choppy. Just my opinion. It's free to try, so try.

scpotamus
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by scpotamus on Aug 24, 17 11:40 AM
This series and many others have become much too easy of late. Highly boring and rote. I'd also like to see much less fantasy and cutesy and little helpers. This one, as far as I know, didn't have a helper, but Saint Germain is getting on my nerves. Can't really recommend this game. But I have become a bit jaded.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Aug 24, 17 2:03 PM
I've gotta hand it to the new developers, Amax, (formerly ERS) they were somehow able to revamp a dying series. It's obvious that they have combined new forces with the old, to bring this series up to speed with fresh new ideas and features, while still keeping the original essence, inspired by the father of Russian literature, Alexander Pushkin. The graphics are stunning, the game mechanics are flawless, and the storyline flows well from beginning to end. I'm still disappointed however, in the fact that they continue to overlook the fact that none of their games automatically support widescreen. Their games always require me to either play in windowed mode, or adjust my screen resolution (which is a huge inconvenience, after the game, I have to go back into my screens resolution and readjust back to the original setting) If I don't opt for one of these solutions, the game plays in a stretched manner, and I lose the ability to see anything on either side, particularly during a Hidden Object Scene! If other devs are able to solve this issue, why can't they? The second feature I find annoying, is that the HOP's are always repeated in the same location at least once, which becomes boring a second time around, even though they usually change the type of HO's.

HAUNTED LEGENDS GAMES AVAILABLE IN ORDER
Title***Collector's Edition Release Date***Average Rating
1-The Queen of Spades (December 15-10) 4.2
2-The Bronze Horseman (September 11-11) 4.0
3-The Undertaker (November 15-12) 4.4
4-The Curse of the Vox (June 30-13) 4.0
5-Stone Guest (November 15-14) 4.0
6-The Dark Wishes (May 15-15) 3.7
7-The Secret of Life (November 5-15) 3.9
8-The Iron Mask (July 30-16) 4.1
9-Faulty Creatures (December 3-16) 3.1
10-The Black Hawk (March 9-17) 4.3
11-The Cursed Gift (August 24-17) 4.2

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Aug 24, 17 8:21 PM
This is another short demo for yet another series that should have ended awhile ago. I am wondering if there are levels of immortality because it seems that the really annoying, already immortal dwarf is searching for a way to make himself 'more' immortal'. HOPAs and puzzles were nothing new. On the positive side, there was no cute helper, missing zipper pull or gimmicky gadget in the demo, and the graphics were good, but dark. Sorry, but I will pass on this one, as I have passed on many before this one.

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Aug 25, 17 2:05 PM
Well, I have to say that this is clearly from the new developer. Although it looks the same, it feels different. For one thing, as everyone is mentioning, the dwarf is already immortal so the reason behind the storyline is not valid. For those of us playing the series from the first one it is just blah. Saint Germaine's backstory was wonderful, but the series has not taken into account that we know that. Pity.

As a stand-alone story this would be fine, but still a bit disjointed. The multiple doors to get through to see the child reminds me of the Redemption Cemetery series. The mini-games have been almost too easy; the HO scenes are easy, but too dark for old eyes. Collectables are way easy, and not exciting, plus the pop up when you get an achievement are really annoying.

Not sure if I will buy or not; probably the SE if I do.

CelticCoco

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Aug 25, 17 5:21 PM
@ CelticCoco, I basically played this demo as a stand alone game, & I still didn't like it...the references were so hackneyed & clichéd that it was tiresome/irritating to me. By contrast, I turned around & demoed the CE of the other game you refer to (Secret of Life), & was VERY impressed. The difference between the two was like night & day to me. The demo for Secret had great graphics, fun HOPs & mini-games, good collectibles, morphs (NOT in HOPs, but rather, one in each area, which I prefer), & above & beyond all else, it was creative & fun to play. I now plan to purchase the Secret of Life CE as soon as we hit a BOGO sale once I've got two credits (I need the original Phantasmat CE as well). I may investigate other earlier games in this series, as well. Regards, nextgengranny.

Edited on 08/25/2017 at 5:22:41 PM PST

RasmusB
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by RasmusB on Aug 26, 17 7:46 AM
Really "impressive". I wasn't able to complete a single minigame in the bonus game, without skipping. I have never experienced so many unplayable minigames before. Without the bonus game, I would have rated this 4/5. WITH the unplayable minigame only 1/5. The story, the atmosphere, gfx and voice acting was so good, so extremely dissapointing.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 26, 17 3:24 PM
Hello friends! As always, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to others...mostly. I've lost count in this series, but there are way too many. Graphics are nice and clean. Colors are somewhat muted, not as sharp as in other games in this series. Game play was good and the scene fit my large screen nicely. Animation was quite good and movements are smooth. Voices are age and character appropriate, and actually show a bit more emotion and fear. The dwarf's voice sounds better in this one and he isn't constantly grunting. Sound FX aren't bad, but again, we have more music than sfx. The music seems a little better and does move with whatever is happening in the scene at the time. The creepy dwarf is still with us. I'm just tired of him and his antics. He's boring for me.

HOPs are a combination of interactive silhouettes, finding pairs and interactive lists. There isn't anything else you can switch to when you get bored with the same old HOP. Items are not hard to find and the scenes are pretty clean and clear. Puzzles are not bad, but are very simple and take no brain power to complete. I still do not care for the "follow the line" puzzles at all, but it seems that they made it not so touchy in this game. There is no challenge in this addition to this series and it feels like I'm just walking through the game. Hint system is quite helpful, but it still does not transport to longer locations. You continue to do a lot of back tracking to the same locations. There is a jump map that you can use and it does identify locations of interest. The map scenes are small and do not show if you have missed a collectible.

Collectibles were okay. We need to find what looks like odd shaped hearts, which in turn give you coins to refurbish the run down mansion. They are large enough to easily see. They come in 3 different colors and each color gives you a different number of coins. We also need to find different shaped medals for a box to open. Have to wait to collect them all at the end of the game to open it. Very disappointing, to say the least.

The story is a little better than the last, but you still have that boring little dwarf to contend with. I managed to get through the entire demo, but it was difficult. I am sure there are those who will find this one a nice game, but I believe it will be mostly beginners who have not played any of the numerous others just like it. There comes a point when a game needs to end and this is past that point. I have some of these games, but I just can't bring myself to add another. I will recommend this one only for beginners, but not for seasoned gamers who have played them all. No, I will not be adding this one to my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

Go to: