marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

What is a letter "F" doing in the Boulangerie, anyway?

[Post New]by marliza on Aug 25, 17 3:02 AM
What is a letter "F" doing in the Boulangerie, anyway?

How did it get there?

What does it mean???

(LOL)

... and what other "odd" things are there to find in these rooms??
Hmm??

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

Re:What is a letter "F" doing in the Boulangerie, anyway?

[Post New]by marliza on Aug 25, 17 3:10 AM
...and why do they call an ice cream cone a party hat?

hmmm?

sir_vival
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by sir_vival on Aug 25, 17 4:04 AM
You never know translations are right.

You never know what's going on in a 'Boulangerie' and how those activities are named.
Maybe they translated the 'F' wrong

rebjayne
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by rebjayne on Aug 25, 17 5:28 AM
And why do they call a bagel a pretzel? That Boulangerie is just all kinds of wrong.

I don't want to buy my pastries from a shop that has a live hummingbird flying around inside it. For all I know hummingbird poop looks just like chocolate donut sprinkles.

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Aug 25, 17 7:08 AM
LOL

Tee_Rex
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Tee_Rex on Aug 25, 17 5:38 PM
I suppose F is for Food.

But as for the rest (bagels, hummingbirds, rollers, you name it) I think I agree. Not that the other rooms don't have odd choices of items as well.
Except, of course for the mention to the party hat. That is obviously no ice cream cone at all, it's a party hat, even though nobody that I am friends with would wear such a ridiculous hat, but it IS indeed a birthday party hat (or some other type of party maybe too). It's an american culture sort of thing, I guess.

thurber
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
482 Posts

[Post New]by thurber on Aug 25, 17 6:52 PM
Too funny rebjayne!!! I shall now look at doughnut sprinkles a lot more closely.

**Waffle Cone** not party hat.

rebjayne
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by rebjayne on Aug 25, 17 9:01 PM
We do have party hats shaped like that in America but they are always brightly colored. We also have a type of ice cream cone that is cooked on a waffle-maker and then rolled up into the cone shape before it hardens. These are light brown and textured so they look exactly like the "party hat" except you can eat them.

It seems to me that every room has at least one item in it that is completely inappropriate for the room and would be unlikely to be found there. I think this is a little joke from the designers.

cyndi322
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by cyndi322 on Aug 25, 17 9:28 PM
I have so enjoyed his topic and all the responses! I've always wondered about the sea-turtles, they show up in the strangest places and all the paw prints!

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Aug 26, 17 10:40 AM
I agree about the sea turtles and paw prints!!!

And yes - it's a **waffle cone**!! - quite edible!

... and hey - why do they sometimes put TWO items in a room - one staying, one going ... like the umbrella in the mysterious express or .... I dunno - I know there are more, but hey. those sneaky devs!!! ... oh no ... not THAT one over there, but THIS one over here! ...

I think i'm so conditioned now to overlook the duplicates, that I can't even think of any anymore!!

javacupper
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by javacupper on Aug 29, 17 6:09 PM
I get a kick out of the "maracas" in the Boutique. My mother had a darning egg in her sewing kit. I always figured it would be perfect for bopping my sisters!

amina046
Herring
Herring
330 Posts

[Post New]by amina046 on Aug 29, 17 8:44 PM
Flute is a frenche bread and so is Ficelle!

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Aug 31, 17 4:59 AM
Javacupper, my Mom had a darning egg in her sewing kit, too!!! I think even I used to have one, though I have no clue where it is today!! Now every time I am asked to get the maracas, I will think of you and the darning egg!!!

And what is it with the letter S in that room anyway? - the Boutique.

I can't remember any other letters anywhere. Are there more?

moshermind
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by moshermind on Aug 31, 17 12:49 PM
Hey rebjayne, I have wondered about all those things, too. One other thing I've noticed is that in the Cafe the sign above the restaurant says "Cafe de France" while the chalkboard/sandwich board standing on the sidewalk says "Cafe de Paris." Bit of a continuity error there... good conversation in this thread!

rebjayne
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by rebjayne on Aug 31, 17 4:35 PM
The thing about the Cafe is that I can pretty easily justify every "to be found" item in it, which is pretty unusual if not unique among RoM rooms.

However! I absolutely despise that sidewalk sandwich board and, in particular, those obnoxious women portrayed on it. I can only suppose that they are the leading lady and her understudy in a nearby production of "Breakfast at Tiffany's" who are doing some character research in their costumes.

My favorite scenario is when the waiter gets to drip ice cream on their backs and my second favorite is when one of them has to wear the bicycle helmet.

Maybe someone at the "Cafe de Paris" also disliked it and dragged it over in front of their rival, the "Cafe de France." Intrigue.

[Post New]by nautilis123 on Sep 2, 17 8:51 AM
Well I thought I had seen it all LOL! In the cheese yard one of the items to find is cheese...drove me nuts! There are at least 25~30 pieces of cheese there! Come to find out the search is for the word cheese. Also in the cheese yard there is a coffee urn they call a samouer...no such word that I can find.

Edited on 09/02/2017 at 8:59:25 AM PST

[Post New]by _Sweetgrass_ on Sep 2, 17 10:21 AM
nautilis123 wrote:... Also in the cheese yard there is a coffee urn they call a samouer...no such word that I can find.

Nautilis, the word is samovar. They're urns, used to heat water to make tea, that I believe are Russian in origin.

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Sep 3, 17 7:17 AM
LOL. My Mom had a samovar, too!
It IS a word. - Is it Russian? - or French?
She was of Czech origins on one side. Maybe it's more Slavic?

From "dictionary[dot]com":

1830, from Russian samovar, literally "self-boiler," from sam "self" (see same ) + varit "to boil" (from Old Church Slavonic variti "to cook," from PIE root *wer- "to burn"); but this is perhaps folk-etymology if the word is from Tatar sanabar "tea-urn."

[Post New]by nautilis123 on Sep 3, 17 11:46 AM
Thanks I just found it myself, my v looked like a u when I scribbled it down. In and around Russia as well as in other countries: Central Europe, South-Eastern Europe, Eastern Europe, Iran, Kashmir and the Middle-East. This game has Russian roots doesn't it?

Edited on 09/03/2017 at 11:50:11 AM PST

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Sep 4, 17 7:48 AM
Yes, Nautilus. The game originates from Russia!!

Go to: