Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Donna Brave: And the Strangler of Paris Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Aug 26, 17 12:39 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 08/26/2017 at 10:44:22 AM PST

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Donna Brave: And the Strangler of Paris Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by CiChDa on Aug 26, 17 3:49 AM
As always, this Dev does a wonderful job on the graphics, the music, and the overall game mechanics.

I really did have high hopes that the story was going to be a bit different, but, here we go again, we have the evil lurking, the gadget to use. Same old extra's that are not very challenging or as appealing as they use to be.

Another CE I think I will pass on.

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Donna Brave: And the Strangler of Paris Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Aug 26, 17 4:12 AM
I always love Mad Head games. Everything about game is great graphics HOs scenes. But I cant deal w/ creep factor of a supernatural monster. If it just had been a mystery of something not supernatural, I would a have purchase it in a heartbeat! I haven't purchase a game in a while because of this! I understand there's a audience for this kind of story line but not w/ me! & know there's lighter games out there, I beta tested them, don't know why just one doesn't get released! Not putting others down for there taste its just not mine! So a little respect if you want to jump down my throat on my comment! Ive seen others comments the same as me! If games keep coming out like this after 9yrs w/ BF Ill have to give up gaming, I'm wearing out my old games

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Aug 26, 17 4:27 AM
A good ole' Who-done-it' game, now that would be appealing.

Sorry, had to support nanafraser on that post, I too am so over all the super natural creepiness in the games offered.

Wouldn't it be a hoot' to even get a western?

Ok, back to this game, enjoy everyone, as these Dev's are one of the best around.

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Aug 26, 17 4:51 AM
Another game w/ the same annoying gadget I already have to use in at least three games I already have...no, thank you. And please, enough w/ the runes, already.

[Post New]by kaypeter on Aug 26, 17 5:41 AM
I've just started it and can's find the 4th postcard. Can anybody help.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Aug 26, 17 5:53 AM
@nextgengranny

I agree, I'm so tired of symbols and "magic" runes, and the Memory Medallion feature is so stupid and illogical. I can't for the life of me figure out why MadHead opted to include this feature!?! This game would have been super cool if they stuck to a whodunit murder mystery that wasn't supernatural. Or, it should have taken place in New Orleans, perhaps leaning towards voodoo and superstitions. I still think BF should have us fishy reviewers write the storyline, and have their devs design the game around our plot!

With that being said, even though I thought the supernatural "being" was way to hokey,I personally enjoyed playing the game for the most part, I liked the game, I just didn't love it. I really wish they hadn't included a memory medallion, how exactly would an item such as this work, through brainwaves and telekinesis?

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Aug 26, 17 6:40 AM
Yoohoo' pennmom36, I was thinking the same,
strength in numbers maybe?

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Aug 26, 17 6:44 AM
@pennmom36, I know, right? And it's gotten to the point w/ the runes that if I see them in a demo, I have to actively resist the urge to just bail. Personally, I was hoping this series would lean more toward adventure, but it doesn't look like it. (BTW, I think your NOLA idea sounds pretty good!)

Edited on 08/26/2017 at 6:58:11 AM PST

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Aug 26, 17 10:03 AM
Nanafraser, I will defend to the death your right to express your true feelings about any game! I always hope that game devs will read these outpourings of emotion (and lack of outpourings of money) and design their games accordingly. I've downloaded the demo for Donna Brave as I'm always willing to give MadHead a try, but the second I see a missing zipper pull/valve/key hidden in a sealed tin can/puff of evil black smoke with red eyes - or any other done-to-death game cliché - I'm hitting the delete button. Here's hoping!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Aug 26, 17 10:10 AM
Ditto, ditto, and ditto again. I got so excited this morning when I saw what I thought was a good old fashioned mystery game with me as a detective. Sooooooo over supernatural creepy games! Please, Big Fish, give us what so many of us are craving!
Just a balance is all we're asking!

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Aug 26, 17 10:44 AM
Greetings Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Donna Brave: And the Strangler of Paris Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Donna Brave: And the Strangler of Paris Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBeruna

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 26, 17 11:21 AM
II have to agree, this mystic evil is getting overdone IMHO. The game looks like fun anyway, but I can't bring myself to buy a mystic evil game right now. I love the art deco graphics, and the music isn't too awful bad. I'll keep it in mind for when BF has a decent sale. In my opinion, I didn't join the club to pay 50% off of retail. (OOPS Shouldn't of said that, I'll probably be censored by the monitor. So much for the 1st ammendment.

Juddang
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Donna Brave: And the Strangler of Paris Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Juddang on Aug 26, 17 11:44 AM
I thought this section was for reviews? All I'm seeing is the usual complaining. I'd like to see an actual review. They need to have a section for complaining.

Edited on 08/26/2017 at 11:44:39 AM PST

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Aug 26, 17 12:44 PM
Add me to the list of the disappointed. I, too, was excited this morning when I saw what seemed to be a good old murder mystery. And from Mad Head Games--my favorite! When the runes appeared, I thought "that's not a good sign". Then the medallion. Mad Head develops phenomonal games, I have to wonder why they feel the need to continually add those ridiculous magical gadgets/medallions/amulets to every one of their games. No thanks. Very disappointed.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Aug 26, 17 1:06 PM
@nanafraser

When you stated that you hope no one "jumps down your throat" for your thoughts and opinions on the game, it caught my attention. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, and that's a wonderful thing! You're completely right in your opinion, because it's your opinion, just because someone else has different tastes and opinions, it doesn't make your opinion wrong. Nobody should be faulted because they like or don't like a particular genre. If everyone enjoyed the same things, the world would be pretty boring

jachern
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by jachern on Aug 26, 17 1:08 PM
nanafraser wrote:I always love Mad Head games. Everything about game is great graphics HOs scenes. But I cant deal w/ creep factor of a supernatural monster. If it just had been a mystery of something not supernatural, I would a have purchase it in a heartbeat! I haven't purchase a game in a while because of this! I understand there's a audience for this kind of story line but not w/ me! & know there's lighter games out there, I beta tested them, don't know why just one doesn't get released! Not putting others down for there taste its just not mine! So a little respect if you want to jump down my throat on my comment! Ive seen others comments the same as me! If games keep coming out like this after 9yrs w/ BF Ill have to give up gaming, I'm wearing out my old games

I agree completely. I just want an ordinary murder mystery. No evil ghosts,demons, witches, etc. What happened to Murder She Wrote, Castle, or even Law and Order?
Thanks for your comments.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Aug 26, 17 1:22 PM
@Juddang

You're absolutely right, we all seem to be on a complaining roll, lol. We do need to start a new "complaint" discussion thread, it's a great idea. My only complaint is that we should have thought about that sooner

WhiteladiesRd
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by WhiteladiesRd on Aug 26, 17 1:50 PM
The title of the game reminded me of Dana Knightstone, such a great series!
As Brave Donna might be, she can't hold a candle to Dana.

Dana had wit and guts, I thought Donna is rather boring.

Strangler? All I've seen in the trial is a "marker", strange runes appear on his victims and another shadowy ghosty supernatural appearance. And a gadget.

I'm still a fan of well done HO's, but the ones I got to play here were not very captivating.
Nor were the puzzles.
No option to block pop ups.
I prefer to play with "inventory unlocked", the constant swaying every time I got or used an item was really off-putting.

Sorry, another pass.
Happy Gaming to those who like this game!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 26, 17 2:04 PM
Hi friends! As always, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to those who do a much better job than I. This game reminds me a lot of "Off the Record" games, which I love. It is set up the same way with beautiful graphics and excellent game play. Colors are a bit golden, but still quite nice and not over-powering. I think it's because of the "era" of the game...it fits. Voices are well done and are age and character appropriate, with just the right amount of accent. You can click through dialog if you read faster than they speak. Animation is very smooth and also well done. Music is nice and not intrusive at all. Sound FX are nicely done as well.

HOPs are a very nice combination of place item in scene, interactive lists, straight lists and highlighted words. The scenes are fairly clear and items are not difficult to find. The challenge here is finding the morphing item in the HOP. I did not see that there was something else you could switch to in this one, if you didn't care for the HOPs. The one thing I didn't care for was that the screen moved in some of the HOPs...annoying. We do get to travel back in time to gain more insight into the story and also to pick up a helpful item to progress in the game. I really like the puzzles. Some are quite different and have multiple levels, and we do still have some of the same old same old thrown in as well. Some puzzles are quite challenging and take some time and brain power to complete. The hint system is very helpful and actually gives you a hint when you ask for it. There is no transport feature in this one, but the jump map does a nice job of that for you.

Collectibles were a little disappointing, in that we only had to find a symbol. It really is not hard to see and in some cases was quite large. Still, not a game changer. Check the bottom left corner to see if there is one in the scene and if you actually found it.

As I said, this story is interesting and different. I was pulled into it almost from the very beginning. The game and story have a very nice flow and it is quite easy to follow. I was surprised at how quickly time went and how disappointed I was when the demo ended. When I beta tested this one, I gave it a 4.0. It looks like they listened and jumped this one up a notch. As you know, I do not give 5 stars easily. A game must be exceptional in all aspects for that, but this one fell a bit short, mostly because of the collectible and the moving screen. Even at that, I gave it a 4.5. I think all levels of players will find this one fun and somewhat challenging. Yep, adding it to my collection of CE games.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Go to: