cnmoore
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

Problem survives reinstall on new PC - how is this possible?

[Post New]by cnmoore on Apr 29, 10 10:31 AM
In the screen where you have to pick up two sticks of dynamite and distract the guard - the cursor doesn't work. Clicking on any of the objects does nothing except make the expected sound. The object isn't marked as found and doesn't disappear from the scene. In spite of many reinstalls and correspondence with BigFishGames when I had it running in XP SP3.

What is astonishing is that my old PC died and I have a new one, with Windows 7. So I thought happily "Now it will work". So I installed it from my Purchase History. But to my complete astonishment it still doesn't work. How can this possibly be? New hard drive, new operating system, new mouse, completely new download, but same old bug.

Perhaps even more astonishing is that it did work once on my old PC, but then never again.

Edited on 04/29/2010 at 11:15:17 AM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

Re:Problem survives reinstall on new PC - how is this possible?

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Apr 29, 10 11:36 AM
Same thing missing? My guess is that your Direct X 9 is not up to date.

cnmoore
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by cnmoore on Apr 29, 10 12:46 PM
Mr_Russ wrote:Same thing missing? My guess is that your Direct X 9 is not up to date.

On a brand new PC?

Dxdiag says I have DirectX 11. In any case I wouldn't suspect DirectX when the problem is that the game doesn't execute a mouse click. It does receive the click since it makes the "got it" sound. Just doesn't put the dynamite in Tools nor remove it from Items. Same for all items.

However you do have an idea.
Note:
- It worked once on my old PC with XP, then never again. Could it be that it only works with an older DirectX?
- There is no problem until I get to that particular screen. The earlier screens are fine.
- No other game has this problem on my new Windows 7 PC. The other Samantha Swift games are fine..
- I've tried running Samantha in compatibility mode - once with compatible to XP SP3, once with compatible to XP SP 2. Same problem, no change.

If it wants DirectX 8 then I don't have any idea how to proceed.

Edited on 04/29/2010 at 1:03:38 PM PST

cnmoore
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by cnmoore on Apr 29, 10 2:33 PM
Solved! As some of you may have realized, the constant element is me, the player.

I had the coins in my Tools, threw them at the water jug, and after that was able to get all the items. I just didn't realize I had to distract the guard first although obviously that makes sense.

Anyway I'm happy now. S.S. and Roses of Athena is one of my all time favorite games and now I can play to the end again.

Go to: