maxbridge
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

Anyone else finding the Arena too hard and too expensive? - GREAT ADVICE & RESULT!!

[Post New]by maxbridge on Aug 30, 17 1:34 AM
I am halfway through Woodlands - I am now finding the Arena almost impossible apart from the occasional "fluke" or cheaper enemy.

Needing to beat a score of 500+ makes it impossible to do without expensive boosts which cost more than the possible prize, so it's just not worth it.

I don't mind a challenge but it has now just got unrealistic.

Am I missing something or has anyone else got similar thoughts??

Thanks.

Edited on 08/30/2017 at 2:55:45 PM PST

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

Re:Anyone else finding the Arena too hard and too expensive?

[Post New]by gohill on Aug 30, 17 5:41 AM
well..... maybe it's the outfit you're wearing.... after all this time, I still wear the Mountain Ruler outfit.... sometimes I can beat the 600+ monsters on my first try.... sometimes I have to spin the wheel..... if I haven't beaten the monster down to below 200 points, I don't spin the wheel but lose the life..... I immediately play again, and MOST of the time win on that second try .... If I lose again, I play again, and always win on that third try... but, 99% of the time, I win on the first or second try.... If I have to spin the wheel, I don't play again till the wheel is recharged....

I don't use bonuses... I play the arena to win bonuses and coins...

I play the worst monsters first.... this "wakes" me up in the morning... If I don't like a board, I "x" out of it ... pick the same monster .... I keep "x"ing out till I find a board I do like....

Kuddles3
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by Kuddles3 on Aug 30, 17 10:28 AM

I find I can beat all four in the Arena on most days (probably about 80/90%, I would say). Occasionally I will only get 3, and if one is particularly difficult, I will leave it. The worst are the ones where there are both ice and chains, and where it continually reshuffles, as the reshuffle always leaves just one very unhelpful move.

Like gohill, I always use the Mountain Ruler. I have noticed on the odd occasion when I have forgotten to switch to MR, that it makes a huge difference, as you can hardly beat ANY monster in the Arena without it. In fact, I now use the Mountain Ruler for everything, even in normal play, apart from sometimes the one which gives 3% extra score (if a particularly high score is needed), as I don’t find any of the avatars useful.

I try to pick the easier opponents first, so I know I will at least get something. When it comes to the harder ones, make sure the wheel is recharged before you play, then always spin as you will usually get 50% health or gold. I find that continuing with one 50% health will nearly always be enough to beat every monster, so if I haven’t won it, I will buy it. It does cost 150 coins, but you get 3 so have it available for another two monsters. I never use any other sort of bonus.

I agree that the rewards are woefully inadequate for the effort involved, and should probably be looked at by the devs, but they do add up eventually. As I now have every level of every World at maximum, and all the Achievements, I have nothing else to do, so the Arena provides a challenge and source of coins which I can’t get apart from the goldmine and sales in the shop.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

maxbridge
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by maxbridge on Aug 30, 17 12:58 PM
Thanks Kuddles3 and gohill - I will ensure I do that - i don't mind a challenge, so I will battle on!! Cheers everyone..

maxbridge
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

Re:Anyone else finding the Arena too hard and too expensive? - RESULT!!

[Post New]by maxbridge on Aug 30, 17 2:55 PM
Wow - what a difference using this outfit - thanks so much for taking the time to answer my query so thoroughly Kuddles3 and gohill - it's made all the difference - I am enjoying these again now... Good luck everyone..

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

Re:Anyone else finding the Arena too hard and too expensive? - RESULT!!

[Post New]by gohill on Aug 30, 17 3:01 PM
maxbridge wrote:Wow - what a difference using this outfit - thanks so much for taking the time to answer my query so thoroughly Kuddles3 and gohill - it's made all the difference - I am enjoying these again now... Good luck everyone..

COOL!!!! Glad to hear of your success!!!!!!! Happy Gaming

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

Re:Anyone else finding the Arena too hard and too expensive? - GREAT ADVICE & RESULT!!

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Aug 31, 17 12:38 PM
Hello Everyone,

I really appreciate the time you've all taken to start this thoughtful discussion. I definitely understand wanting to discuss the difficulty of the Arena battles. Although the Moderation Team isn't involved in making changes to the game, it's always our goal to pass your feedback along to the appropriate teams. I'll absolutely ensure this happens.

Thanks for your patience, and please don't hesitate to PM another active Moderator or me if further questions or concerns arise. We're happy to help.

Happy gaming!

bfgBeruna

linda43416
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

Re:Anyone else finding the Arena too hard and too expensive? - GREAT ADVICE & RESULT!!

[Post New]by linda43416 on Sep 3, 17 3:57 PM
That is such great advice-Gohill and Kuddles3, I use the same strategies, so I can confirm that these do work. Am going for the hardest enemies' first so I can have an easy kill for the last one!! The fellow players are so very helpful in the forum. To take the time and effort to clearly explain what works for them is so helpful for all players. Want to say "thank you", not everyone would be willing to put themselves to the effort of explaining how to master this game as you do. I am very sure that a lot of players have benefitted from the advice that you generously give. I know I have, many times. Just wanted to let you know how much your time and advice is very much appreciated. You must be very kind and compassionate individuals.

Kuddles3
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by Kuddles3 on Sep 5, 17 6:29 AM

linda43416 – thank you for your very kind words, and also maxbridge earlier. I am glad I was able to help, as I know what it is like to struggle.

I started playing at the beginning and got to the end of Woodlands without too much trouble. Then there was a very long gap of about 6 months with no updates and I thought the game had been abandoned like so many others, so I stopped playing completely. I did not check in at all, not even to collect coins (which I now regret!).

When Shivering Plains suddenly appeared, I came back and started with 21,000 coins amassed in the first 5 Worlds, but I found the next 3 Worlds very difficult and rather rashly used up all my coins. I then played Asian Garden and Viking Village very much “hand to mouth” with about 500 coins. At one point I was down to 50 coins, so do not lose heart - as even if you get this low, it can still be done!

I am now a little more cautious and try to keep 10,000 coins on hand to start each new World. I have quite a stash of boosts as I hardly ever use them, apart from the occasional trinket or hammer, and I have yet to use any potions. I find the key to success or failure is the number of moves – with enough moves one can get past most levels – so if I have failed a level several times, I will keep buying extra moves until it is done.

I usually power through each World to the end, collecting what is necessary, and then while waiting for an update, go back and get every level to maximum, and I play all the Events as the rewards are good. The airships have helped a great deal, but I only upgrade them to 400 and find this is sufficient with a little patience.

Good luck to everyone on their journey!

maxbridge
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by maxbridge on Sep 6, 17 10:20 PM
Thanks also again to Kuddles3 - your advice is indispensible!! Totally correct linda43416..we really appreciate your time and help..

I am nearly through Woodlands but sounds like the tough times are to come so this advice is just great.

I am only using the potions to buy bulk discounted boosts, nothing else. It doesn't cost a lot of potions funds, but it means that I am getting better value boosts, and likewise now I am succeeding at the Arena every day my funds are building up again - I will make sure I have a good supply of both boosts and funds before I go to the next world.

Go to: