Florida Resident(s)

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

Florida Resident(s)

[Post New]by marliza on Sep 5, 17 6:03 AM
Okay you guys. This Irma storm is heading for us I think. If anything, I imagine we will be without electricity for a while after it passes through. So if I am not around, that is probably going to be the reason why.
This one is scaring me, but --- I have preparations to make and do, so that will keep me busy until it gets here.
I am praying it goes easy on us all - or just decides to go out to sea and leave us all alone.

amina046
Herring
Herring
330 Posts

Re:Florida Resident(s)

[Post New]by amina046 on Sep 5, 17 11:11 AM
I am praying first for all the small Caribbean Islands who will get the first impact of this horrible storm and who do not have a powerful and resourceful country behind them to help out!

Caribbeans be safe!!

lorakeet
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by lorakeet on Sep 6, 17 4:00 AM
Yep! We are getting ready for this monster of a hurricane! Hope everyone stays safe!

aurendel01
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by aurendel01 on Sep 6, 17 4:53 AM
Amen! Those poor islanders are always getting walloped by storms. Stay safe, Lorakeet. We're battening down the hatches here in Tampa, too, even tho' it looks like the storm may turn north and east.

I also may lose electricity & internet sometime in the next few days. If I do, there's no telling how long til I'm up again. The year of hurricane Charley, when we had so many storms blow through, I had no electricity for a week. This storm could do worse.

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Sep 6, 17 1:02 PM
We got a direct hit by Wilma here in 2005. I remember going out and looking up through the eye!!! - That was the SECOND time I did that!! - I don't remember which hurricane was the first for that. BUT - We were without power (and many others, too) for 3 weeks!!! That was really really tough!!! -- I couldn't take a shower because of not having hot water - and when I tried to get into the water, I thought I best not - for the shock of it. Being hot all the time (without a/c) and getting into cold water for a shower was just something I didn't think I could do. I was worried I'd have a heart attack!!! - I had to wash as best I could and dress for work every day. It was horrible.

Reminds us so much to count our Blessings - especially the ones we don't even know (or realize) that we have!!!

As another note - a friend of mine over the on the West coast of FL said that I 45 is already a parking lot of cars. I do hope it's because of people getting out of work and not just people trying to get out. I haven't heard anything about the roads here on the East coast. We have an 8 hour drive north to get out of the state from here.

We are still uncertain as to whether or not we are leaving, but we do have reservations near Atlanta (yes, Georgia).

Phoebe1157
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Phoebe1157 on Sep 7, 17 2:01 AM
Stay safe everyone in Irma's path..! Looks like a lot of destruction has been left behind in it's path. Please remember if you can't take your animals with you don't chain them up for rescuers they have a better chance on there own to survive..
May god bless and keep us safe

clm5457
Catfish
Catfish
1,588 Posts

[Post New]by clm5457 on Sep 7, 17 3:16 AM
Saying a prayer for everyone in Irma's path. Please be prepared!!

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Sep 7, 17 3:06 PM
Hi there,

I just wanted to pop in here and let players know that the Moderation Team's thoughts are with the families and friends of everyone that is or may be affected by this event. We wish safe passing and it is nice to see that the community is supportive of one another.

bfgBellerophon

cgiestela
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by cgiestela on Sep 7, 17 7:55 PM
stay safe!!

lorakeet
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by lorakeet on Sep 8, 17 4:18 AM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and concerns!

Ellei4997
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by Ellei4997 on Sep 8, 17 1:15 PM
My Thoughts and Prayers are with all in the path of Irma

Stay safe

thurber
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
482 Posts

[Post New]by thurber on Sep 8, 17 8:44 PM
Prayers up!

Wave at us when you can to let us know you're safe!

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Sep 9, 17 6:30 AM
Hi Guys!
We have made it safe and sound and are settling in here in Georgia. My whole family is here - with our animals, too - in different rooms, and we are watching the storm from time to time and sending up prayers and hopeful thoughts for all who stayed behind.

It is quiet in my hotel room as daughter I travelled with is still sleeping - and not a lot to do, as we will need to save pennies as we will need them we can head home when the storm is done. It's nice to have laptop and be able to be in touch. I just really wish my game would load (I have that 89% thing going on so far in my tries), as I know it would keep my mind off of other things. Maybe I'll see you guys in a competition room later on?? - who knows???

Desp1na
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Desp1na on Sep 9, 17 8:41 AM
My prayers for everyone in Irma's path.
Stay safe !!

aurendel01
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by aurendel01 on Sep 12, 17 8:04 AM
I'm back!

We are so thankful the hurricane weakened. Those poor islanders--they always bear the brunt of the storms. I hope that since Florida has received less damage than anticipated, that we'll be able to help those in the Carribean who are worse off, and those hit by Harvey earlier.

In my neighborhood, we were fortunate. No major damage to homes, just lots of debris--mostly tree branches--to clean up. A tree fell on a power line, but the electric company got it fixed and our power back already. Years ago, when Hurricane Charley blew by, we lost power for a week instead of just a day and a half. The city was much more prepared and organized this time.

I hope & pray the rest of my fellow Floridians made through safely as well (I'm looking toward you, Lorakeet!).

lorakeet
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by lorakeet on Sep 13, 17 3:25 PM
We remained safe! Never lost power but was without internet until 20 mins. ago! Thanks to everyone for staying neighbors and for your good thoughts and concerns!

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Sep 13, 17 6:11 PM
I am back from Georgia!!! - safe and sound. Tree branches and yard stuff everywhere!! We got in at 5am and I didn't get to sleep until after 6. Was up early, and did some cleaning up - to at least get the car into the driveway, and to get out some food for lunch (from our cooler), but mostly relaxed. There is much more yard work to do. It is way hot here - in 90's by day - so the going is going to be tough, and according to the temperature outside. Not at all like the Georgia we left - in maybe the mid 50's or low 60's with a constant sprinkle and cold cold high winds (the storm hitting there as we left, still).
All of us - daughter, dog, and I - are all a bit traumatized, from long long ride of many many cars - and many traffic jams going 10mph for long stretches of time and stressful driving, and making decisions constantly - as to what do we need, what do we need to do - first. Should we stop for a break or just keep going?

Glad to be home with no damage to house. But it will take some time to get back to "normal" here.

One day at a time, for sure.

I will be back up and playing and gifting and all as soon as I am able, or need the wonderful getaway that this game and all my friends here provide. You have no idea how much I love you all !!!!

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Sep 13, 17 6:14 PM
It is sooo good to hear that others are back, or made it through safely, too!!!!

Phoebe1157
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Phoebe1157 on Sep 14, 17 3:45 AM
glad to see Floridians are BACK..in town I feel terrible for those who lost everything homes,memorabilia, etc.. now worried about Jose coming this way
Be safe gamer's..

aurendel01
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by aurendel01 on Sep 14, 17 5:02 AM
So thankful to hear, Marliza & Lorakeet, that you're ok and your homes are intact.

Here in Tampa the city's solid waste department has started picking up storm debris from people's stacks of branches and junk that lie in every front yard. My husband was wielding his chainsaw yesterday clearing the large, hanging tree limbs. He'll be at it again today! There's half a tree that fell in our front yard--fortunately it fell AWAY from the house, and another tree caught it so it didn't block the street.

Go to: