mumma_1
Herring
Herring
343 Posts

What's your strategy for 'use 100 hints' CC

[Post New]by mumma_1 on Sep 13, 17 4:14 AM
I'm undecided whether to play the long game and use the game hints button, or use wands etc.... I've built up a good amount of wands during this CC and don't know whether to use them or not

What's your strategy?

KC_512
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

Re:What's your strategy for 'use 100 hints' CC

[Post New]by KC_512 on Sep 13, 17 4:25 AM
I don't have a lot of the wands and the other 2 items built up, so it'll be a long road using the hint button...that and the bottle of wine I found in the back of the cupboard while cleaning, instead of building up my supply of wands and the other 2 items.

LJM5091
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by LJM5091 on Sep 13, 17 4:40 AM
In the past, I didn’t normally keep any great amount of the 3 hint aids. The hint button is enough.

With the last two challenges, I changed my strategy. I now keep them all and use them up in the Castle Challenges. I lose patience with the ‘long game’.

El62
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by El62 on Sep 13, 17 4:45 AM
it depends on the wheather , if it is nice I'll do the short version and go gardening, if it's raining I'll stay with my game.

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
3,802 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Sep 13, 17 4:57 AM
I've accumulated a few dozen Lightning Flashes, & never use them, because I immediately turned off Nightmare mode as soon as the option became available, & I really don't mind silhouette or mirror mode.
I'm considering turning night mode on, just until this challenge is done, so I can use the Flashes to get rid of it. Then do the hint button ad nauseum, and the occasional wand to get rid of spiders.
It will still be a long slog - 100 is a LOT - but the flashes & wands will help.

tennco
Clownfish
Clownfish
882 Posts

[Post New]by tennco on Sep 13, 17 5:11 AM
LOL Funny.

...that and the bottle of wine I found in the back of the cupboard while cleaning, instead of building up my supply of wands and the other 2 items

Wow I just figured out how to quote something from another post. I guess you can always learn something new everyday.

Edited on 09/13/2017 at 5:14:22 AM PST

mumma_1
Herring
Herring
343 Posts

[Post New]by mumma_1 on Sep 13, 17 5:47 AM
KC_512 wrote:I don't have a lot of the wands and the other 2 items built up, so it'll be a long road using the hint button...that and the bottle of wine I found in the back of the cupboard while cleaning, instead of building up my supply of wands and the other 2 items.

, what a great idea

Desertdruid

I'm considering turning night mode on, just until this challenge is done, so I can use the Flashes to get rid of it. Then do the hint button ad nauseum, and the occasional wand to get rid of spiders.
It will still be a long slog - 100 is a LOT - but the flashes & wands will help.

I have turned night mode off too. But in the past even though night mode is off it still shows in your inventory on the bottom of the screen in some HOS and out of curiosity I clicked the lightning flash and it turned the HOS around (like mirror mode). So don't know if it counts as a hint used

Thanks for your help guy's, I think I might try half and half and have a mediumish game.

Edited on 09/13/2017 at 5:49:02 AM PST

tutorqueen
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by tutorqueen on Sep 13, 17 5:51 AM
I just hit hint at the beginning and then everytime it recharges as I go through the HOS. Don't really use any other time since I have played each area so many times waiting for new updates. Remember those flashes are worth 75 gold coins each!

Edited on 09/13/2017 at 5:52:21 AM PST

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
3,802 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Sep 13, 17 5:57 AM
I could have sworn they're only worth 50 ……
Gonna have to go back & check ……

I still think they're too valuable as hints to sell, though, even if they are 75.

Yep, confirmed - flashes sell for 50 coins.

Maybe they cost 75 to purchase? Things often sell for less than what they cost.

Edited on 09/13/2017 at 6:05:34 AM PST

silver_hawk
Stingray
Stingray
5,514 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Sep 13, 17 5:59 AM
mumma_1 wrote:

I have turned night mode off too. But in the past even though night mode is off it still shows in your inventory on the bottom of the screen in some HOS and out of curiosity I clicked the lightning flash and it turned the HOS around (like mirror mode). So don't know if it counts as a hint used

Thanks for your help guy's, I think I might try half and half and have a mediumish game.

The Lightning Flash turns all modes back to normal play mode (Mirror Mode, Silhouette Mode, and Night Mode).

Normally I play the long way using just the "free" hint. I just keep playing HOS until the free hint is recharged and ready to use again. I do that because I do the Daily Quests and I need the airship items and will be playing HOS anyway to get them. Even if it took me all day to finish the CC.

This time I have a doctors appointment and will be having a small procedure that will have me feeling poorly the rest of the day when I get home. So... This one time... for the CC I'll be using all hints possible to get through it.

mumma_1
Herring
Herring
343 Posts

[Post New]by mumma_1 on Sep 13, 17 6:16 AM
silver_hawk wrote:
mumma_1 wrote:

The Lightning Flash turns all modes back to normal play mode (Mirror Mode, Silhouette Mode, and Night Mode).

Normally I play the long way using just the "free" hint. I just keep playing HOS until the free hint is recharged and ready to use again. I do that because I do the Daily Quests and I need the airship items and will be playing HOS anyway to get them. Even if it took me all day to finish the CC.

This time I have a doctors appointment and will be having a small procedure that will have me feeling poorly the rest of the day when I get home. So... This one time... for the CC I'll be using all hints possible to get through it.

Sending my best wishes and hope you have a speedy recovery

Thanks for clarifying the 'flash'. I wasn't sure about why it still showed up even though night mode was switched off

plduncan
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by plduncan on Sep 13, 17 6:51 AM
Last CC I was short on time and discovered that you do not have to finish the HOS to get credit for the hint and that I could use more than one hint per HOS. Now mind you there is no coins or gifts or anything else if you don't finish the HOS but you dont have to wait for it to recharge and it did save me on being able to complete the CC and earn the last avatar. Just letting you know in case there are desperate players out there and the days are short to the end of the challenge.

Edited on 09/13/2017 at 7:43:26 AM PST

playingthegame
Manatee
Manatee
4,007 Posts

[Post New]by playingthegame on Sep 13, 17 6:55 AM
I only use lightning flashes in tandem with my no-countdown amulet to maximize the hour's time.
As I need airship items it will be a routine HOS slog using one hint button for each.

Each person will have a different strategy and I suppose that as usual eastendteddy and betslou23 will tie for first over the line at two minutes past zero hour!

[Post New]by Littlepoppi on Sep 13, 17 6:57 AM
You can turn off night mode??!! Will someone please tell me how?!

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
3,802 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Sep 13, 17 7:02 AM
Select the gear icon in the upper right corner. Choose "Additional Settings". Check the top box " Disable night mode".

silver_hawk
Stingray
Stingray
5,514 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Sep 13, 17 7:03 AM
Littlepoppi wrote:You can turn off night mode??!! Will someone please tell me how?!

When your in your game...

Click the gear in the upper right hand corner.
Click the blue button that says "Additional Settings".
Put a check in the box next to "Disable Night Mode.

gohill
Manatee
Manatee
4,343 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Sep 13, 17 7:12 AM
Though it's not my first choice, it's often over looked that you "can" use a diamond to recharge the hint button...

IF a player is short on time but long on diamonds, the player "could" use 99 diamonds in one HO ....

I see this as a "break glass in case of emergency" situation....

For instance, someone who is catching up towards the end of the challenge and doesn't have the time to do another 100 HOs.... (if someone gets their power turned back on the last day of the challenge, they could use nuclear options like amulets and diamonds to help them get that last avatar)

silver_hawk
Stingray
Stingray
5,514 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Sep 13, 17 8:00 AM
gohill wrote:Though it's not my first choice, it's often over looked that you "can" use a diamond to recharge the hint button...

IF a player is short on time but long on diamonds, the player "could" use 99 diamonds in one HO ....

I see this as a "break glass in case of emergency" situation....

Thanks gohill. I never considered that. Due to me being out tomorrow I may combine that with the other hint objects. Just want to get it done quickly this one time.

This has been a rough week (symptoms) for me and I haven't played much this week. Barely getting through the DQ's let alone the CC. Your suggestion just might be the perfect solution.

gohill
Manatee
Manatee
4,343 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Sep 13, 17 8:37 AM
Whether someone uses them or not... it's nice to have options

mamarose1900
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,953 Posts

[Post New]by mamarose1900 on Sep 13, 17 8:37 AM
I usually do this in stages because my tendency toward carpal tunnel means doing 100 HOS at one go gets painful. It looks like I could take more than one day, if I need to and catch up with the later challenges. The Zoom Zones and morphing objects could both be done the last day, so if I get behind, I can catch up then. Anyway, because I want to collect maximum airship items, I do it the long way. I just hit the hint button when it recharges.

Have fun stormin' the castle!

Go to: