Trav3lbird
Clownfish
Clownfish
823 Posts

What city would you like the game to visit?

[Post New]by Trav3lbird on Sep 15, 17 1:51 PM
It has been suggested that lots of players would like to visit some particular city as part of the game so here is the thread for all to add to.. it would be interesting if you can add a reason also. I will start with
GRANADA in Spain - how I loved the Alhambra and the General life gardens and the amazing history

Re:What city would you like the game to visit?

[Post New]by glitter2goldfish on Sep 15, 17 6:14 PM
I would like to see the game visit Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Not only is it the Capital City of Alberta it has much appeal and many attractions. I was able to research six buildings the game could feature as monuments to build. I have taken the liberty of posting some of what I found about these buildings below and just in case they do not choose Edmonton as a city to visit at least my Gummy Drop friends will read about some of what Edmonton has to offer.

The Alberta Legislature Building is the meeting place of the Legislative Assembly and the Executive Council. It is known to Edmontonians as "the Ledge". Built between 1907 and 1913 in the Beaux Arts style. Beaux-Arts buildings are characterized by a large central dome above a spacious rotunda, a symmetrical T-shaped plan, doors and windows decorated with arches or lintels, and a portico supported by massive columns. The project cost over $2 million at the time.

Art Gallery of Alberta is a public art gallery with a collection of well over 6,000 works of art includes historical and contemporary paintings, sculptures, installation works and photographs by Canadian and international artists.

West Edmonton Mall is a major tourist attraction, is Canada's largest shopping centre and one of the largest in the world. The facility contains a hotel, movie theatres, a huge water park, ice rink, and Galaxyland; the largest covered, indoor amusement park in the world. There are all kinds of rides including a triple-loop rollercoaster.

The Royal Alberta Museum is one of Canada's leading museums of human and natural history, dedicated specifically to telling the stories of Alberta’s people and landscape over time.

The Telus World of Science Centre attracts over half a million visitors a year and has Canada's largest planetarium dome theatre. It consists of four main areas: WaterWorks, the Construction Zone, Discovery Den and Potters Corner. Some of the highlights include a giant piano, which you play by walking on the keys, a multi-level water table and a multitude of blocks.

The Muttart Conservatory is a botanical garden which consists of three city-operated greenhouses, public gardens, as well as four feature pyramids for display of plant species found across three biomes, with the fourth pyramid hosting as a seasonal display. A fifth minor skylight pyramid lights up the central foyer.

I hope you enjoyed your mini-history lesson about Edmonton, Alberta, Canada my home and native land.

keitht53
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
461 Posts

[Post New]by keitht53 on Sep 16, 17 7:32 AM
Not a city, but Crete is packed with history and could make a fascinating destination for GD.

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Sep 20, 17 12:36 PM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much for starting this conversation, Trav3lbird. I think this is an awesome thread and want other players to be able to find it, so I've added its link to the Helpful Links for Gummy Drop!. I sincerely hope others swim by and suggest more cities.

Personally, I would love to see Chicago or Washington, D.C. added to the list. I was really excited to see Lima's release recently.

Happy gaming to all!

bfgBeruna

Trav3lbird
Clownfish
Clownfish
823 Posts

[Post New]by Trav3lbird on Sep 20, 17 12:43 PM
WELLINGTON known as the greatest little capital in the world - lots of awesome things there, Weta workshops (think Lord of the rings. The hobbit, avatar) zealandia huge predator free space with endangered and rare species living free, world of wearable arts, Te Papa national museum, fabulous harbour, beautiful botanic gardens, the Beehive parliament buildings, so much to see and do there!

Major_Mom
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by Major_Mom on Sep 20, 17 5:10 PM
San Antonio, Texas - I'm a Texan and would love to see a Texas city added. San Antonio has the beautiful Riverwalk and historic Alamo. It also hosted the World's Fair in 1968.

[Post New]by Mags82888 on Sep 20, 17 8:37 PM
How about any city that doesn't zoom in on the last place you stopped?

NeenaL60
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by NeenaL60 on Sep 21, 17 1:41 PM
Louisville, Kentucky USA...
The locals here are absolutely the best, so friendly and you'll never find any better cooks anywhere! Best of the best, southern cuisine..home to Kentucky Fried Chicken, Louisville Slugger Baseball Bats-Home/factory museum makes baseball bats for .major league teams all over the world, for kids and dreams too....
Several world reknown bourbon distillerys here Jack Daniels...if you don't drink I bet you'd still enjoy like the candy "Bourbon Balls" divine-Heaven/Jack Daniels and a bit of chocolate! YUM!
Home to the run for the roses, Kentucky Derby-we have the best Thorobreds horse farms where many Derby winners were trained, stand at stud, board...there are many, many more reasons I'd like VISITORS to see our city added (because I'm here too!)
*I'll edit to add them later when my brain is working,...Sr Citizen syndrome**.....

[Post New]by Monkeyland45 on Oct 6, 17 10:13 AM
I agree with Major_Mom on San Antonio, Texas

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Jan 16, 18 5:22 PM
I thought I would have a look at the world globe before, to see which areas of the world GD has not really covered in any way. There are numerous cities covered in the USA, Europe, Asia, Africa, South America and now two in Australia (thank you for putting Melbourne on the map), and although I realise there are many thousands of cities that could be added in, and this game is infinite in that respect, I notice that there are huge gaps in the area where Siberia is, so I looked up what the capital is, its 'unofficially' Novosibirsk. Third most populated city after Moscow and St Petersburg, but it would fill a big gap in the map. And Anchorage in Alaska would put a city up in a region where there is nothing as yet.

And another huge gap in the map, would be to visit Antarctica. How good would that look!!!!! WOW, you could do so much with all that beauty. I know there are no capital cities etc, hardly anyone lives there besides people on the research stations, but its an international place, it has amazing wildlife and landscapes, there are a lot of conservation projects, there are whales, penguins etc which could feature in stuff in the info etc. And just because there is no capital city, that hasn't stopped GD from including a location before. For example, in GD, they put in Hawaii, Maldives and Tahiti. They ALL have capitial cities, called Honolulu, Male and Papeete. I don't understand why they are called by their country or island name as all the other cities on the GD map are named with the city name. Antarctica really could be added in and imagine what you could do with the graphics there! It would be so beautiful. So GD team, please consider Antarctica, and not as an event city but a proper mark on the map.

Edited on 01/16/2018 at 5:24:56 PM PST

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Jan 17, 18 7:45 PM
Africa, South America, and Canada are all huge without much representation. If GD doesn’t think a specific city has enough interest, couldn’t they combine landmarks and areas of interest? (Hawaii included multiple islands within the state, and Los Angeles included Santa Monica and San Marino, which are not within the city.)

[Post New]by LavenderLion on Jan 17, 18 9:05 PM
I see jules already listed 2 that I was going to suggest:
1) Antarctica - for monuments you could have McMurdo station, Ross ice shelf, the Ad. Bird monument and more. The last one would have to be the pole itself!

2) Alaska - either Anchorage or Fairbanks or even Nome (or all of them!)
FYI ... Alaska is big as half the continental US!

another choice for me would be

3) Boulder, Colorado! or if that isnt big enough at least do Denver
the Rocky Mountain area is not covered at all, so lets have a mountain city (either US or Canada)

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Jan 17, 18 9:09 PM
Denver Colorado sounds lovely, right now its very hot here in Melbourne, some cool weather which they would be getting there would be lovely. But it would also be a stunning part of the USA too.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Jan 17, 18 9:19 PM
I just thought of something else, maybe not for a 'city' but for an event, how about a trip on The Orient Express, (from Paris to Istanbul) you could have stops along the way. Or a train trip through the Rocky Mountains, or the Trans Siberian Railway. Any of those would be amazing, but I have always dreamed of going on the Orient Express but will never in my lifetime be able to afford it, so a little holiday there in GD would be nice.

[Post New]by LavenderLion on Jan 31, 18 11:59 AM
I've an idea for a challenge similar to climbing Everest: How about the Iditarod dog sled race? Its 1000 miles across Alaska. The levels could be the major stops along the way, starting with Anchorage and ending in Nome. The character would have to be a musher of course! Or the lead dog! woof!

The real race is only a month away so it would be very topical.

NeenaL60
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by NeenaL60 on Feb 28, 18 5:48 AM
HEy DEV's, I've another idea for the event city, how's about "Kentucky Derby" first Saturday in May every year brings tons of celebrities and wannabes to Louisville where the pretty people gather... The horses jockeys wear thier "colors" (numbers) silks, while they are in the starting gate (start) each one runs thru gates (levels) until get to winners circle (top-end)... In winners circle, huge horseshoe shaped (roses) are huge on horse...
Louisville is home to a lot, more than you can stand of southern hospitality and southern pride.. Home of the Kentucky Hot Brown, a world reknown chef creation only shared here in Ky, home of Louisville Slugger-biggest bat anywhere and factory where bats of the World Series are made! Down the road a bit is the Ky HorsePark where anything and everything "Horse" can be found! Must see! Jack Daniels located on the bourbon trail...a sampling of many of the bourbon distilleries in the area- nothing more soothing than a Mint Julep on a hot Ky porch! On the river is the Belle, a honest to goodness Riverboat where races are held on the Ky River! Step back into time as you enjoy a riverboat cruise, southern cuisine, maybe even Kentucky Fried Chicken....only one place it was created and that's here too...just a glimpse into our fair state that has much to offer! Stop by and stay a spell! You'll be glad you did...
(Did I make my case, loud enuff for anyone to hear me.....) thanks! Thank you for the many events you do!

keitht53
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
461 Posts

[Post New]by keitht53 on Feb 28, 18 6:19 AM
OOo_jules_oOO wrote:I just thought of something else, maybe not for a 'city' but for an event, how about a trip on The Orient Express, (from Paris to Istanbul) you could have stops along the way. Or a train trip through the Rocky Mountains, or the Trans Siberian Railway. Any of those would be amazing, but I have always dreamed of going on the Orient Express but will never in my lifetime be able to afford it, so a little holiday there in GD would be nice.

Only just picked up on this one. I love the idea of an Orient Express event.

keitht53
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
461 Posts

[Post New]by keitht53 on Feb 28, 18 6:21 AM
Suggestions for locations. York (UK) 2000 years of continuous history so I'm sure they could find 12 items of interest. Crete, Malta both again with millenia of history and places of interest to choose from.

Go to: