Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: The Sword and the Fury Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 16, 17 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 09/16/2017 at 7:53:47 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: The Sword and the Fury Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Sep 16, 17 7:54 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on The Sword and the Fury Collector's Edition here. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread as the moderators will be removing any content that isn’t a review.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on The Sword and the Fury Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: The Sword and the Fury Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Sep 16, 17 8:14 AM
Oh look, more symbols! Mad Head games must have a graphic's symbols department.

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Sep 16, 17 8:38 AM
@pennmom36, I'm glad I wasn't sipping my coffee when I read that, lol.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Sep 16, 17 9:11 AM
@nextgengranny

I'll keep trying

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: The Sword and the Fury Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by jennsmom on Sep 16, 17 9:29 AM
pennmom36 wrote:Oh look, more symbols! Mad Head games must have a graphic's symbols department.

More symbols with "drag the cursor around to match them," which is even worse. I wasn't nuts about the beginning, but when that gimmick came up, it was an automatic trash can for me.

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Sep 16, 17 10:21 AM
@pennmom36: !!

@jennsmom, a lot of games lately have resorted back to using the click & drag function, I don't know what's going on w/ that.

justaques
Stingray
Stingray
5,487 Posts

[Post New]by justaques on Sep 16, 17 10:34 AM
Tried to get interested in this game and could find nothing to keep me playing. Felt like I was playing something from about ten years ago. Very disjointed game-play so will delete.

bobhillman
Clownfish
Clownfish
688 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: The Sword and the Fury Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by bobhillman on Sep 16, 17 10:54 AM
nextgengranny wrote:@pennmom36: !!

@jennsmom, a lot of games lately have resorted back to using the click & drag function, I don't know what's going on w/ that.

Are they designing the games for use with touchscreens, where the action is much simpler than with a mouse?

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Sep 16, 17 2:12 PM
@bobhillman

I think they're going for the, what's old is new effect. I know there's thousands of games out there, but you'd think there was somebody out there that had some fresh ideas for a plot, one that doesn't involve swords, symbols, shadows, cloaked men, cloaked men wearing a beaked mask, princesses that get kidnapped, Queen's without an evil agenda, or purple mist. While I'm on a roll, how about not using oil to make metal look brand new in 30 seconds or less, using acid to instantly eat through metal (why is acid so readily available in the first place?) a hidden object scene that doesn't involve finding a bell, a feather, a horseshoe, an apple, or a gear, and for once, can I hang onto the screwdriver, lighter and knife for the entire game?

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Sep 16, 17 3:28 PM
a nice "whodunit" murder/mystery would be awesome to get - WITHOUT the use of gimmicks and gadgets, monsters, runes and various colored mists !!

ediegamer
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by ediegamer on Sep 16, 17 3:40 PM
Way too many games. Not for me.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 16, 17 5:03 PM
Hello friends! Well, this is #7 in this series. As usual, I review mostly on the game play and not the story line, as others do a much better job than I on that portion of the game. This addition has excellent graphics, very clear and sharp. Animation is extremely well done. Great facial features and movements. Voices are extremely well done, age and character appropriate, with all the emotions included. Sound FX are very well done and heard throughout the game play. You have just the right amount of sound and music when something is about to happen. Game play was excellent, with no problems during the demo and the scenes fit my large screen quite nicely. I was put off a bit by the pop up of achievements in the beginning.

HOPs are interactive lists and silhouettes. They are somewhat cluttered, but I still managed to find the objects without too much frustration. We also have morphing items in the HOP scenes, which are not easy to catch, so be on the lookout. I did not see that there was anything else we could switch to, if we got bored with the HOPs. Puzzles, weren't too bad, some familiar, some frustrating and some that took some time and thought to complete. I did not especially care for the symbol puzzle with the sword...it got boring very quickly. Still, nicely done. Hint system is helpful, but it does not transport to longer locations. You do back track quite a lot in this game, but you have a jump map that is fairly clear and easy to use, it's just faster to transport.

Collectibles are disappointing. You need to find a symbol in each scene. They are often difficult to see, as some are very small or in dark areas and blended very well. I didn't see anything else, other than in the HOPs. Definitely needed something more.

This addition isn't bad, but not really challenging and nothing new in the story line either. Again, I found the "new clue" notice popping up all the time extremely annoying. It doesn't tell what it is, just that you have one. The story moved slowly and I felt we spent a little more time in one location that needed before moving on. Yes, we have to find Grandpa, but I think there's a little twist to this story. I am curious to see what it is, but I'm not sure this one is CE material. This is one of those games for a rainy, do nothing day when you don't want any challenge but want to play. I'm sure a lot will like it, but I think I will put this one in my puddle and see if the SE version moves me more. I often find that if I don't feel a game is CE worthy, the SE often makes a better game.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: The Sword and the Fury Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 17, 17 12:52 AM
pennmom36 wrote:@bobhillman

I think they're going for the, what's old is new effect. I know there's thousands of games out there, but you'd think there was somebody out there that had some fresh ideas for a plot, one that doesn't involve swords, symbols, shadows, cloaked men, cloaked men wearing a beaked mask, princesses that get kidnapped, Queen's without an evil agenda, or purple mist. While I'm on a roll, how about not using oil to make metal look brand new in 30 seconds or less, using acid to instantly eat through metal (why is acid so readily available in the first place?) a hidden object scene that doesn't involve finding a bell, a feather, a horseshoe, an apple, or a gear, and for once, can I hang onto the screwdriver, lighter and knife for the entire game?

And don't forget my all time favourite; the missing zip(per) pull I don't know what's happened to MadHead; their games were so innovative at the start but now they've turned into another Eipix. Loads of games released and the same old thing in all of them. It's like deja vu all over again and a real disappointment to see. Oh and the same collectible in every game is just downright laziness

Edited on 09/17/2017 at 12:54:49 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Sep 17, 17 5:00 AM
This I think is one of there better "Rite of Passage" W/ others comments maybe I breaking down on my entertainment level since theirs not a lot to pick from in last couple of yrs, but I like this one! Not big on mini games, but never have been. I do like the variety of HOs & that's #1 w/ me! Not too creepy or spooky, & yes the repetitive story line has been done, but its hard to come up w/ new material after yrs of games! Like the portals of going to different places rather then staying in same scenes!
So like always try it for yourself & its just my likes! Which we all are different! I don't appreciate being put down for my review, & not afraid to defend it if it is!

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Sep 17, 17 10:01 AM
Nothing really "grabbed" my attention in this game. And, another game WITH MORE PORTALS... really? Some scenes are so dark it's almost impossible to find the collectable symbol. I usually really like Mad Head games, but not this one. Sorry. I'm ready for a game with an original storyline.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Sep 17, 17 10:41 AM
Against my better judgement I am buying this game because I'm tired of El Senor chopping bushes and Vikings busting stones. This game has waaay too many puzzles but TYG for the fairly quick skip. Graphics are good but I'm not too fond of the garish purple-magenta hues. I can see myself using that skip alot on the swordplay. Come on Mad Head lets get some new ideas going. You were putting out great games. Throw out the cookie cutter.

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Sep 17, 17 4:57 PM
Amen guys! this is why i have taken a long vacation from HO games, I played the demo and the reviews given so far pretty much summed up what my impressions were. After awhile the same old same old just gets old and way too many devs are guilty of it.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Sep 17, 17 10:40 PM
I did buy the game. It's OK - nothing to write home about, but it has sufficed as I'm tired of re-playing my older games again and again. It is very puzzle heavy (too many for my liking. Pretty easy to get through. Somewhat boring, but it's passing the time for me.

[Post New]by sammie1212 on Sep 19, 17 2:16 PM
So, so many cutscenes. It interrupts the flow of the game. Will not buy.

Go to: