bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Eternity

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 1, 10 1:59 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Eternity? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Eternity

[Post New]by bribling on May 1, 10 2:49 AM
For me it is an OK game. I find it a bit annoying and some objects too small.

It is annoying because I have a wide screen and there is no wide screen option. The full screen option stretches and distorts the images. The wondowed version is too small and the desktop view is distracting for me. I don't need it to fill the wide screen but i would prefer to have the game window set with black borders filling my screen and the game in the middle with no distortion. If it were set that way, I would find it easier to enjoy and might have bought it. It would be borderline for me anyway. It is a bit too easy most of the time (which really isn't do bad) and the only thing that has made it hard for me it the small objects, i have not finished the Demo and don't expect too.

Again, I will say it is an OK game and will probably sell well. I always enjoy time travel and this is not a new theme but it does have some slightly different interaction which makes it stand out from most other IHOGs It is more of an adventure and might have made an excellent LF game.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 1, 10 2:53 AM
I'm going to have to play the last half of this demo at a later date... Blame it on PMS if you like, but I just want to tell these presumptuous men to get bent... You want *me* to build you a *what*? I agreed to help Grandpa - not every freakin guy throughout time who can't even be bothered to say "please"...

Update: I finished the demo. It's ok. It's quick and easy to change scenes with this interface, which I like. Starting to get more used to the rationale this game uses - it's not always easy to figure out what you need to do - at least not at first. There's objectives for each scene and hints, and I think it probably gets easier to interpret those as you go along. And of course, the check mark on the scene when you're thru with it is very helpful.

Someone else mentions not figuring out the right and left side of the time machine. It's that thing hanging toward the back with the green spiral tubing around it and the pointy ball at the bottom on the left - you're supposed to build up the one on the right side to match it. Took me a frustrating while to figure that out myself - and possibly a few hints...

Edited on 05/01/2010 at 4:09:27 AM PST

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on May 1, 10 3:01 AM
I think it is a very nice game, going to buy it.

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on May 1, 10 3:34 AM
I just finished the demo and the game was okay. The graphics during the adventure part are very nice but why is it when it came to the hidden object parts they were terrible? I did like the use of the different rooms and the check mark when all was complete. Some of the objective could have been more clear, like finding the coal.
Also, when a developer is going to give you puzzles that need to be rotated why can't they just make the right mouse button the rotate button? It becomes very annoying when you keep left clicking to rotate the item and you keep dropping it, moves once, drop it, etc.
I may have bought it but for now maybe it will go in my list for DD.
I hope the rest of you fishies who have bought it have hours of fun. Enjoy your weekend all.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on May 1, 10 3:47 AM
You want *me* to build you a *what*? I agreed to help Grandpa - not every freakin guy throughout time who can't even be bothered to say "please"...

ROFL! so true... Despite that, I'm planning to buy it with my next punchcard-code.
Likes: Custom cursor can be turned off. Hint refills fast. 2 play modes: Classic and Easy (spells out the tasks in every locale), choice at the end of the 1st level. From then on, one can switch between modes anytime (via Menu options). Finished locales are marked.
Not so great: in Hidden Object Lists, not all items are shown at once, and they vanish from the list after finding them (I prefer crossed out). Items sometimes have to be clicked on 'precisely' (f.e. bicycle pump on the body, not the handle). No cursor hint for the spot where to use items.

According to the Walkthrough there are 14 levels. The first one took me 30 minutes, w/o looking at the W/t, cos there's a rather pushy intro-help in the game, but using some hints - esp. as I never found that 'left side' of the Time machine Grandpa was talking about, so had no idea where to put what.
As others have mentioned, I find it more an Adventure game with H.O. combined also. Really curious to see whether all ppl we meet through times will be men... *G*

added: choice of game mode after level 1

Edited on 05/01/2010 at 5:50:22 AM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on May 1, 10 4:17 AM
I played just a tiny bit of this because I'm reeeeally trying to train myself to go to bed earlier, BUT from what I've seen looks good. I think this will suffer some by following on the heals of Deadtime Stories, which was so exceptional anything of average good quality will pale. I honestly felt sorry for the developers on start-up realizing a few days ago I would have been far more impressed. (was playing Deadtime while waiting for the download even) I like IHOGs a lot and like the lens for different area travel. So far (and seriously, only played 10 minutes) I'm looking forward to continuing which is a good sign.

...but yep, one negative is the overly picky cursor.

More later, but good so far!

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on May 1, 10 4:52 AM
I played the demo and I still don't know if I'm going to buy this game...There are some I like a lot more than this one ! We'll see and wait for others who completed it !
My first impression is : a bit confusing !!!
Raska

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on May 1, 10 5:09 AM
I have played 20 minutes of the demo and had to quit because I got so annoyed with the game. I will probably pick it back up later, and finish the demo. What's with that draw the cart scheme thing? I click on the wall to try to draw and all I get is "draw the cart scheme here." Don't know what I'm supposed to do there if it won't let me draw something. I like that there is a check mark to let you know when you have finished an area, and there are lots of hints if you need them. I will reserve judgment until I have finished the demo, but right now I don't think it's a buy for me.

sokjeff
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by sokjeff on May 1, 10 5:18 AM
Someone mentioned two play modes in this game (easy and classic). I was not given that option at the start of the game nor was it in the options menu. How do you choose the difficulty?

Thanks

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on May 1, 10 5:35 AM
Hiya sokjeff, you have to complete something in the first task, then you are given the choice. Think this comes after the time machine has been made...........if this is not correct, can someone point the way for sokjeff?

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on May 1, 10 5:44 AM
bootsie you're right, the choice comes somewhen then.
sokjeff, I at least forgot to mention the choice doesn't come at the start of the game, sorry. Now I forgot already the exact point, around end of lvl 1 I think. From then on, one can change anytime.

ETA: Checked in the W/t, yep, end of level 1. Will edit my review post, too.

Edited on 05/01/2010 at 5:47:05 AM PST

s_jjones
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by s_jjones on May 1, 10 5:56 AM
I played the 60 minutes and unsure if I'll purchase. I got to that scene where you have to push the stone face buttons in a certain order and I could never figure that out, the Help just twinkled on the buttons but without a clue or hint no matter what button I pushed, got the message: these must be pressed in a certain order, very frustrating. Was stuck there for the last almost 10 minutes, sigh.

I tried this Forum to see if there was a walkthrough, but haven't found it yet, although some have mentioned it. Anyway, liked the game, once there is a walkthrough I might reconsider purchasing it.

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on May 1, 10 6:02 AM

You can find the walkthrough by copying and pasting the link below into your address bar:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/eternity-walkthrough/

Good Luck,

Margie B

jboliver1999
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jboliver1999 on May 1, 10 6:13 AM
The game wasn't bad but also wasn't great. Just ok. I wouldn't mind it for $2.99 or with a free code.
s_jjones, you need to finish the room with the skulls and gems so you can see the order of the face buttons. I got frustrated too when I pushed each button to start and it kept telling me you need to push them in the correct order.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on May 1, 10 6:13 AM
I actually found this game rather interesting ..only played 1/2 ..but what I played kept my interest ..I got up to building the cart ,, I haven't noticed the bug in the hint system,once you figure out how the game rotates around 4 scenes in each level ..It's different ..So far haven't been annoyed by any of the characters ..But then again ..I haven't completed the demo ... So it's a maybe ?

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on May 1, 10 6:14 AM
A deffinite buy. Not even a moment of hesitation.

sokjeff
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by sokjeff on May 1, 10 6:23 AM
Thanks for the response on the difficulty level. I just didn't go far enough in the game. Have a great day!

guylee1
Marlin
Marlin
8,309 Posts

[Post New]by guylee1 on May 1, 10 6:28 AM
I agree with sunny! What hooks me most with a game even if it is mediocer is great music. This one caught me as soon as it started, The other thing that got me was when Grampa started talking my name was there. I hardly got to see my Grampa (what I used to call him too) and he kind of looks like him as well. All that combined I'm going to buy it!

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on May 1, 10 6:46 AM
sokjeff wrote:Someone mentioned two play modes in this game (easy and classic). I was not given that option at the start of the game nor was it in the options menu. How do you choose the difficulty?

Thanks

I was given that option after fixing time machine and b4 going on first adventure

Go to: