Love_rnr
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

Staying away for now

[Post New]by Love_rnr on Sep 21, 17 6:53 AM
I'm not going to look at any posts related to the new update until we (iOS) get ours. Some of the subjects are clear what they are about, others not so much. I just want to be pleasantly surprised at what is new.

I AM so very HAPPY that a tribute was made to Robyn & Shadow, that really personalizes this game to me, not many (if any) games have that.

~Paula

Edited on 09/21/2017 at 6:57:35 AM PST

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

Re:Staying away for now

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Sep 21, 17 10:41 AM
Hello Love_rnr,

I completely understand wanting to avoid spoilers about the latest update. The wonderful people at Apple are working hard to make the new update available to iOS players as quickly as possible. Once they've released it, the Moderation Team will make an announcement in the thread below.

NEW UPDATE available for Midnight Castle (iOS)

Thank you for your patience and your passion for the game. As always, please PM one of the other active Moderators or me if any questions arise. Until then, happy gaming!

bfgBeruna

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Sep 21, 17 12:27 PM
Sorry you have to leave the forum for a while.

I completely understand why. I stumbled on all the info about the new update in various threads and now it is spoiled for me.

There will be no surprises when I reach those new levels. Why? Because everyone was mentioning what happens to the characters on many different threads without marking headings as "Spoiler" or changing text to white with an indication to highlight to read.

Very disappointed because sometimes us lower level players do like surprises. We want to have the same reaction as those that got there first.

I wish players would consider that when the next update comes. Perhaps start a specific thread titled "Spoilers - current update chat". And keep all spoiler information contained in that thread.

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on Sep 21, 17 1:24 PM
I'm still not finished playing the update, but I don't mind spoilers. Unfortunately, while the idea of having one thread is a good one, it just wouldn't work. That's evident by all the multiple threads about Arabella missing, or the Dragon missing, or friend requests, etc. No matter how hard we all try, there will always be multiple threads.

The only way to ensure not to read spoilers, marked or not, is to just not read the forum. Or Facebook either. Especially right after an update comes out. After a couple of days, it usually dies down a little. Extreme, I know, but the only sure way.

Pazlovejoy
Herring
Herring
316 Posts

[Post New]by Pazlovejoy on Sep 21, 17 1:36 PM
I'll try remember to stay away next time there is an update. I'm disappointed that I have been thoroughly spoiled about the new content since spoilers are a pet peeve of mine, but I agree that spoilers are inevitable if you read the forum. Everyone is excited about the new content and some players are asking for help. Multiple threads will naturally be started.

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Sep 21, 17 1:50 PM
We shouldn't have to leave the forum. Those that are on higher levels can have the respect and courtesy to at least change spoiler text to white with *** before and after the text so others who want to know can highlight the hidden text and know where to place the curser.

It is how ALL other forums work. It's fine to ask a question. Your not giving away the plot. Answers should be careful if you're going to give something important about the story away. If you're going to give away the fine details "like what happens to the characters" could have been made invisible text.

Arabella disappearing is not giving anything away. Telling the fine plot details are. Maybe I wanted to be surprised to see what happened to Hansel and Gretel. When I saw the puzzle all I thought was "how cute". I had no idea what it was meant to be. Until I read it in the forum.

I don't accept the answer that if I don't want to know... don't visit the forum. That said; maybe I should go away until I decide to level up. I will, from now on, ONLY read and post in the DQ thread.

Bummer. As the forum is one of the things that keeps it interesting to play. Playing by myself is lonely and makes me NOT want to play at all.

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on Sep 21, 17 1:57 PM
I understand completely that many people want to be surprised. And I do make every effort myself not to post spoilers, but if the whole thread is a spoiler, then I just assume someone who doesn't want to know what's in it will read the first few words and back out.

Like I said before, it's impossible to get so many players from all over the world to adhere to a format. You certainly have more experience than I do at other forums, but MC is unique.

Players get excited and just can't wait to share the latest pets, or achievements, or avatars or characters, etc. There's really nothing that can be done about that. I never, ever meant for anyone to leave the forum. But not reading the forum is really the only way to be truly surprised. Or at least choosing very carefully which threads to click on.

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Sep 21, 17 2:17 PM
I guess I'm lost because, when I look back at the titles on every thread I posted, they had to do with the update..... soooooooooooo, if someone doesn't want to know about an update......... why click on a thread about that update?

Pazlovejoy
Herring
Herring
316 Posts

[Post New]by Pazlovejoy on Sep 21, 17 2:18 PM
I got spoiled reading posts with innocuous sounding titles. It would help if people labeled their postings with a spoiler alert, but that is probably too much to expect.

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Sep 21, 17 2:24 PM
I did deliberately try to keep my first posts as vague as possible... then when the whole Arabella debacle happened... more things had to be explained.... whitebutterfly is right, people get excited and want to share ... as long as I've been on this forum, that's the way it's always been.. there have been times I've started to read a post or a thread and backed right back out - nope- next.....

AuntieRoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,393 Posts

[Post New]by AuntieRoo on Sep 21, 17 2:48 PM
I think it's worth remembering that there are new players all the time & they may not be aware of putting 'Spoiler alert' on a thread & this update has had some problems which In turn means more posts.
I have never been on any other forum so until now knew nothing about invisible text.
I'm sorry silver_hawk that this update has been spoilt for you.I am on iOS & have yet to get the update but as frustrating as that is I personally wouldn't want to stay away from the forum.

Bemused123
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by Bemused123 on Sep 22, 17 9:07 AM
Real life has meant that I have not come into the forum as much as I'd like to do. Noticed the positive posts about the update and did not take much notice. I have now read a few and think that by the time I get there (I am on level 70) I still will have a surprise. Glad that I decided to read more now as I had not noticed the new puzzles LOL. I told myself a few chosen words and will make a note to self to read what the content of an update is.

Pazlovejoy
Herring
Herring
316 Posts

[Post New]by Pazlovejoy on Sep 22, 17 11:01 AM
Maybe this will be seen as an evil suggestion, but since there seem to be many more IOS players, it would make sense to hold the updates until all the platforms have cleared the third party hurdles. Why frustrate so many of your customers unnecessarily?

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Sep 22, 17 11:14 AM
Pazlovejoy wrote:Maybe this will be seen as an evil suggestion, but since there seem to be many more IOS players, it would make sense to hold the updates until all the platforms have cleared the third party hurdles. Why frustrate so many of your customers unnecessarily?

sometimes they wait.... I'm guessing, sometimes they have to wait so long for the apps to be approved that they go ahead and let the PC players start.... that's a guess.... This also lets PC players be the Guinea Pigs for potential glitches ... hopefully, once they are found, all the kinks are worked out before the mobile devices get the update....

gtminer
Clownfish
Clownfish
812 Posts

[Post New]by gtminer on Sep 22, 17 11:27 AM
Seems to be bugs with updates, so maybe it is better for them to wait? Last update they lost blue key quests for a bit. Pretty sure others were glad to wait

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Sep 22, 17 11:37 AM
Seems to me, they have updated everyone at once before, then the devs and tech support got hit with customer service reports from all three devices at once making it take that much longer for everyone to get their games back up and running correctly...

Wasn't it the last Fall event update where so MANY lost their games and had to start a new game, get a new ID, re-invite all their friends again?.... and the TIME it took for everyone to get back up and running again, the Fall Event (and Castle Challenge,too if I remember correctly) was well under way by the time everything was fixed.....

If I were tech support, I might want to only handle one group of problems at a time... especially if it's a major glitch and hits a large population of games....

Wanting an update before it's ready may end up being: be careful what you wish for, you just might get it....

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on Sep 22, 17 12:02 PM
I don't consider your suggestion evil, it has been said many times that the less-popular PC players should be penalized in some fashion for not having the latest and greatest techie hardware.

What newcomers will never know is how long us PCers have been playing this game (getting close to 4 years now) and how many positive changes to the game we've championed through the years.

There was a time when airships required inventory items rather than dedicated airship items; we originally could only gift 5 a day, that was changed to 15; the tweaking of the Find Button; the ability to buy a gift for a friend; showing how many of an item you have before gifting to a friend; show the name of the item in inventory; add separate tabs for inventory, crafted items, pets, etc.; get rid of the red "x's" on the Crafting Wheel; recoding the old Bow Figurine/Six Paws and many, many other changes made at the behest of "old PC players."

All new players have benefited from the positive changes made to this game; so perhaps giving PCers first access to a new update represents a "tip of the hat" in our direction for always striving to make the game as good as it can be.

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Sep 22, 17 2:35 PM
Many of us are not tech savvy, have poor eyesight, poor hand to eye co-ordination, just some of the many benefits of ageing.

I have only just now, after have a very underused Facebook page since 2009, how to stop all the drivel that is written on the wall, one of the reason I rarely go there. Since I have only been playing MC since 01/01/14 I figure it will take me another 5 years to learn how to write a spoiler.

That said I have no problems reading a spoiler, one of the benefits of ageing is the ability to forget what I have read by the time I reach the new content.

It took a forum friend to message me to tell me how to figure out how to change something in my game spreadsheet.

Just my two cents worth

Pazlovejoy
Herring
Herring
316 Posts

[Post New]by Pazlovejoy on Sep 23, 17 1:35 PM
AnnaDownes01 wrote:
That said I have no problems reading a spoiler, one of the benefits of ageing is the ability to forget what I have read by the time I reach the new content.

Just my two cents worth

I have been practicing intentional forgetfulness. If I don't allow myself to think about the spoilers, maybe when I get to the new content, I will be a little bit surprised.

Go to: