cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Magic Encyclopedia: Illusions comments and reviews

[Post New]by cche on May 2, 10 2:40 AM
Played 50 minutes, making it most of the way through chapter I. (I think)
A FROG up to Alawar's standard. This one seems a bit easier in the puzzle department, and tougher in the HOG realm.

Graphics are bright where they should be, and nothing terribly difficult to find once you figure out where (or how!) to look.

Music is acceptable, clips are long enough that I don't find them irritating, nothing special though.

hints are unlimited as far as I could tell, but often not helpful.

All in all, a decent product. 5.5 on my scale of 10. Might buy it if I am feeling flush.

Edited on 05/02/2010 at 1:22:17 PM PST

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

Re:Magic Encyclopedia: Illusions comments and reviews

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on May 2, 10 4:16 AM
Great game! have fun!

[Post New]by chris122049 on May 2, 10 4:19 AM
I loved ME I and 2 but this one is a little different. At first, I didn't like having to switch my view of scenes but they make it easier in the third scene and then I enjoyed it.

I love this game and found it very captivating.

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on May 2, 10 4:55 AM
Out of five I would give this three stars just because it takes a while to get into the game. As the way to search for objects is quite unique to the game, your brain needs a while to adjust.

Before I buy it though I would like to know how long it is. Anyone know??

The graphics had a child like innocence about them, if you get what I mean. This did not detract from the game too much though.

I also liked the fact that there was not too much talking, sometimes it seems like you are buying a book rather then a game.

The few things I disliked where the awkward changing from one area to another and the objects are too cleverly hidden. For example there could be a picture of string and you have to find a bit of string...that is just stupid.

I think this will stay on the old wishlist until I know how long it is.

Good game though.

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on May 2, 10 4:55 AM
Enjoying the game. I feel the switching of the scenes is appropriate seeing
that this is an Illusions game.
Some objects (at least in chapter 1, which is as far as I got) were not
easy to find.
No Timer, CasualGran. I believe that arrow on top is an indicator of how
far you've gotten in that particular chapter. Moves after you've accomplished
a goal.

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on May 2, 10 5:08 AM
I think some kids will love this game, but I don't ! And although the mini games are too easy, looking for the hidden objects are not... I had to click on the hint button a lot of times during the demo since those little pieces are not easy to find !!!

I didn't enjoy the game and this one will not be a buy for me... Next time, better ?

Raska

tabsy
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by tabsy on May 2, 10 5:18 AM
Just played the demo and it'll be a buy for me. It looks a good length 5 chapters and I haven't finished chapter 1. Objects are well hidden but not unfairly so, and the gameplay is reasonably challenging.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 2, 10 5:32 AM
This is a NO for me. Got stuck, stopped and consulted the walkthru, went back and continued playing, got stuck again, and that's when the demo ended. The ingame hints are occasionally helpful, but in many cases could just as well be replaced with a laugh track .

MissMoraduke
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by MissMoraduke on May 2, 10 5:57 AM
I almost finished the demo, the game is intriguing enough for me to buy, I like the magic elements, it reminds me of Tarot Cards, I am going to read a little more of the reviews before I click the BUY button.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on May 2, 10 6:05 AM
I am into chapter 2. I bought it after chapter 1. I really like this game.
It's a 'take your time' game. Playing in 2 modes gets some getting used to. But it gets easier. The pieces are very well hidden so that's a challenge. I love the graphics.
The best of it (for me) is the hint system. I have used it often just to get me used to playing the game. Very helpful. I will let it sit and start over again in a bit now that I am have adapted to the game play.I like the minis as well.
Thanks BF. I bought this after 10 minutes of play. Love it!

selkatz
Herring
Herring
358 Posts

[Post New]by selkatz on May 2, 10 6:12 AM
RainbowElf wrote:Out of five I would give this three stars just because it takes a while to get into the game. As the way to search for objects is quite unique to the game, your brain needs a while to adjust.

What do you mean?

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on May 2, 10 6:28 AM
I just finished playing the game and loved it although I found it a little frustrating in the beginning until I understood the game play. I took me 6 hours. The graphics and settings were outstanding. My only complaint is that there is too much random clicking when in the illusion mode. However It is one I will play many times just because of the graphics and variety in settings. I hadn't intended to buy it after the demo but the realized I had been hooked so bit the bullet and purchsed it.

Edited on 05/02/2010 at 6:29:50 AM PST

Chexmixmonet
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,816 Posts

[Post New]by Chexmixmonet on May 2, 10 6:28 AM
Darn, I just bought this three days ago from the other site. DAAAAARRRRNNNNNNNN

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on May 2, 10 6:36 AM
Unbelievable game (for me at least) Extraordinary graphics, rivals with the best of them. Unique game play even for IHOG and FROGS and extremely immersive story line (or was it the screens?).

I read comments from people taking a pass on the game because of small objects. By no stretch of the imagination can the hidden objects be called small, VERY cleverly hidden at times, yes - but not small. Other comments have mentioned that this new twist to the standard IHOG/FROGS game play is confusing. I have to admit, it adds another element, but I find it rather refreshing, and quite ingenious. It's easy to catch on to once you realize where the game is going with it (after the first screen.) By the third location you'll be a ham at it. If you enjoy (and are only looking for) the standard "same-o same-o" HOG games, no interaction, just straight HOG, then this game is not for you. Or if you hate the idea of adjusting to or trying something new, then this game is not for you. But if you are getting tired of the standard HOG, then you definitely want to at least DEMO this game. Don't let all our references to "2 Play modes" scare you. It's not that difficult, just hard to explain in writing.

Great graphics, fast hint system, no timer, take your time and enjoy, my kind of game - I'm totally hooked! Meant to only spend the one hour playing he DEMO and was FINALLY able to tear myself away after an additional hour Out of the 200+ BF games I have, this has to rank in the top 5.

Thanks BF, this is definitely filling the void while waiting for the standard version of Royal Envoy to come out. Three weeks, four days and counting.

10 out of 10

snoopy13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by snoopy13 on May 2, 10 6:45 AM
Not for me this time. I'm still engrossed in Deadtime Stories.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on May 2, 10 6:58 AM
I bought this game from another site & loved it ..Once you figure out how this game works ...which could be a bit frustrating ..I't's nothing but fun ..!!! At least for me anyway ...So if you have the patience to get thru the first chapter ,,you will get the satisfaction of a very enjoyable game,,..I gave this game 5 stars ,,

I have to say this too!!! ..I finished this game with out a walkthrough ,,Very frustrating,,But well worth it ....Cheers ...

Edited on 05/02/2010 at 7:26:13 AM PST

[Post New]by OregonPandora on May 2, 10 7:05 AM
I just bought it without even a demo. I liked the first two so Know I will like this one.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on May 2, 10 7:28 AM
This Magic Enyclopedia game is nothing like the other one. I find this one was made cheaply compared to the first one. I will not be buying this game. When I first saw the name I thought I'd just buy it because I loved the other one. Thank goodness I demoed it first because it is a huge dissapointment. I hope all the fishies who do like it, have fun playing. Happy gaming

Jewels69988
Herring
Herring
364 Posts

[Post New]by Jewels69988 on May 2, 10 9:19 AM
I did the beta for fish on this one and have been waiting patiently for it to be released. Wonderful game. Very different and challenging. Give it a try.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on May 2, 10 9:26 AM
This is a buy for me as it has been recommended elsewhere. It looks suitably challenging.

Go to: