Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Facade: A Deadly Dowry Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 23, 17 12:37 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 09/23/2017 at 10:09:24 AM PST

Foxy57
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Facade: A Deadly Dowry Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Foxy57 on Sep 23, 17 9:02 AM
I am working with Windows 10 but I did not get any technical problem ( I am not sure it is a blessing though).

I found this game very basic and should appeal to beginners. the plot has been seen many times over. I found one HO fun to play it was to reconstruct 3 signs. Other than that , this game bored me to death.. try it for yourself and see..

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Facade: A Deadly Dowry Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Sep 23, 17 10:04 AM
Had no problem downloading or playing demo. I thought it was very blah. Nothing interesting and the story didn't keep my attention. Graphics were clear and sharp but the colors were very dull. Certainly not worth a CE purchase so it's a no buy for me. Maybe during a sale as a SE i might consider it.

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Sep 23, 17 10:10 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Grim Facade: A Deadly Dowry Collector's Edition here. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread as the moderators will be removing any content that isn’t a review.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Grim Facade: A Deadly Dowry Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 23, 17 10:46 AM
Hello friends! As always, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story telling to those who do a much better job than I. Is this really #9 in this series? No, I do not have all of them. Graphics were actually quite good in this one, very clear and no blurring. Animation is fairly good and movements are smooth. Voice overs were not bad, and we had frequent interaction with characters. The one thing that seems to show up in all the games in this series, is the need to "choose" dialog. This is boring for me and something that really puts me off on a game. If there is only a little, okay, but not with every conversation. Music is exactly the same as in all the others in this series and is fairly quiet. Sound FX aren't bad, but there are few of them. Game play was very good, with no problems during the demo and the scene fit my large screen. Colors were bright but not over-powering, and most scenes seemed to be a night. Guess ghosts only come out at night in this one. Again, you have a "memory sphere" that collects memories. I collected them, but not sure what good it did for me. Again, this was very boring for me and took away from the game play.

HOPs were a combination of standard and interactive lists. The scenes were fairly clear and items were not difficult to find. I did not see that you could switch to something else when you got bored with the HOPs. Puzzles were okay and I found some that did have some challenge to them, but didn't really take a lot of time to complete. Hint system is helpful, but you do not have a transport feature in this one. Yes, you can do a jump using the very bland map. Again, the map did not have anything that identified what the location was. Guess that doesn't really matter to some, but it is a map. SG is the standard set up and is useful if you are unable to find the collectible.

Collectibles were extremely disappointing. We collect coins to buy useful items to help complete tasks, but so far I only see 3 items to purchase. We also collect very large roses that will allow us to purchase bouquets of flowers for 9 ghosts. There was no challenge to finding any of these items. As I said, extremely disappointing.

I keep track of games I have beta tested, along with the rating I gave to each. I do not keep game names on my if I gave anything below a 4 and I don't have this one on my list. I did beta this one and I still do not feel it is worth a minimum of 4 stars. The story is just okay, but nothing new for this series. I think it's time to either upgrade or retire this one. Personally, I do not feel this game is CE worthy, due to the lack of collectibles and a better story line. It was an okay game for beginners, or someone who just wants to walk through a boring game. There was nothing about this one that made me want to buy it. I will recommend it for beginners, but not for a seasoned gamer. I usually will give the SE version a try and often find that it makes a much better game. However, I just don't see it in this one. No buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Sep 23, 17 10:53 AM
Here I go again! I'm on another paranormal investigation, and right off the bat, I pick up a large vase that seems to have something inside because it's rattling. Do I blow it off, because it's probably just chipped pottery? Do I turn it upside down and shake out the contents? Nope, I search my surroundings for something heavy enough to smash it to pieces! This isn't even my pottery, and I certainly shouldn't claim the prize as my own. Guess what I do next, I find an oil container, and yes, it too has magical anticorrosion properties!

Then I read the bulletin board and low an behold, Martinez is missing!!! (he's that really scruffy looking cat that shows up everywhere) WHAAAT?!? This seems like a much bigger case to me, who cares about another scorned undead bride, Martinez is missing people! Not to mention there's a 1000k reward which is way more than the chump change I just got for my traveling per diem!

On with my case and my first interview with the mother of the undead bride. Turns out her family fortune was squandered by her gambling hubby, which is probably good enough reason to roll over in your grave, but certainly not enough to make you want to get up out of your cozy coffin, so I'll have to investigate further. So I notice some interesting knight statues in the house, and the black bar tip says "I wonder if they are for sale?" Well it's a little too late for helping this poor old woman, and she's been through alot man, am I really going to offer to buy these after the poor woman lost everything? (well technically she still has her daughter )

You all can finish playing this game, I'm going to look for Martinez

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Sep 23, 17 11:47 AM
pennmom36 wrote:Here I go again! I'm on another paranormal investigation, and right off the bat, I pick up a large vase that seems to have something inside because it's rattling. Do I blow it off, because it's probably just chipped pottery? Do I turn it upside down and shake out the contents? Nope, I search my surroundings for something heavy enough to smash it to pieces! This isn't even my pottery, and I certainly shouldn't claim the prize as my own. Guess what I do next, I find an oil container, and yes, it too has magical anticorrosion properties!

Then I read the bulletin board and low an behold, Martinez is missing!!! (he's that really scruffy looking cat that shows up everywhere) WHAAAT?!? This seems like a much bigger case to me, who cares about another scorned undead bride, Martinez is missing people! Not to mention there's a 1000k reward which is way more than the chump change I just got for my traveling per diem!

On with my case and my first interview with the mother of the undead bride. Turns out her family fortune was squandered by her gambling hubby, which is probably good enough reason to roll over in your grave, but certainly not enough to make you want to get up out of your cozy coffin, so I'll have to investigate further. So I notice some interesting knight statues in the house, and the black bar tip says "I wonder if they are for sale?" Well it's a little too late for helping this poor old woman, and she's been through alot man, am I really going to offer to buy these after the poor woman lost everything? (well technically she still has her daughter )

You all can finish playing this game, I'm going to look for Martinez

You really made me laugh !!! Thank you,
M.

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Sep 23, 17 2:07 PM
I'm in for the search for Martinez, too!

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Sep 23, 17 2:50 PM
@rainworm

-We'll split the reward lol!

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Sep 23, 17 3:08 PM
Given I just got back from doing some shopping, I'm starting to want a piece of that cat myself...the question is, does he prefer a delicious cup of coffee, or a delightful cocktail?
Here, kitty, kitty...

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Sep 23, 17 9:30 PM
Well, I bought the game - only because I wanted something new to play. It's okay, nothing to write home about.

What I do find disappointing is that more and more of the developers are putting less and less "extras" into the CE games - there used to be all kinds of collectible items and morphing things to search for, whether they were in the scenes or in the HOP scenes. YAY - this one we get to collect coins to buy stuff and roses. WOW - that's it ??? And yet again, another "gimmick" thingy to slide across the screen looking for those shadowy balls gliding across the screen.

Ho hum............ oh well, will pass the time away tomorrow afternoon (Sunday) playing it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 24, 17 1:56 AM
I like this game. I am always happy when I can collect coins to buy stuff with it that I need in the game. I just wish there were more coins to collect and more items for sale.

What I can do without is the gadget to chase bubbles to see the past. I really don't care for any type of gadget in a game anymore. They bore me, and make the game less fun.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Sep 24, 17 1:33 PM
@nextgengranny

I don't know about the kitty, but I could use a cocktail followed by coffee

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Sep 24, 17 1:36 PM
I wasn't thrilled with the Beta, and the actual game shows no improvement. It hangs up for many seconds, even when closing out, and the first puzzle has no reset, so I'm assuming none of the rest do, either. I loved the first few Grim Facade games, but the quality has definitely gone down hill.

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Sep 25, 17 7:19 AM
I made a big mistake in not reading reviews first. I liked other grim façade games so I bought it. big waste of my money. I think it was buy one get one free. wasn't even worth that.

justaques
Stingray
Stingray
5,487 Posts

[Post New]by justaques on Sep 25, 17 3:54 PM
Very disappointed with this game. I always looked forward to each new Grim Façade game because it was always worth waiting for and would keep me busy and intrigued for a lot of hours because it would be somewhat difficult with lots of things to do while solving the many puzzles, mini-games, etc. This game was very short throughout and the theme was uninteresting and far-fetched. I had no problem playing this game until I just started the bonus game when it locked up and I had to do a Ctrl/Alt/Del to get out of the game. After that I had no problem playing the bonus game other than, in too short a time, the game ended leaving me with the feeling that the developers simply ran out of ideas, closed up shop and went home. Not worthy of CE status.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 25, 17 11:49 PM
Finished the game now, and enjoyed the game far more than I thought I might. I especially loved having to play a Text Advenure game. Used to play those all the time.

Forgot to mention: I also loved the Bonus Chapter.

Edited on 09/26/2017 at 2:46:56 AM PST

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Sep 27, 17 5:59 AM
I just bought this game after playing the demo and I enjoyed it. Like others I didn't care for the collecting memories mini games, but I didn't mind the dialogue selection. I kind of like those. Now let's just hope the rest of the game doesn't disappoint.

Go to: