Gifting wish list

BillyeLH
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

Gifting wish list

[Post New]by BillyeLH on Sep 24, 17 4:46 PM
I have several neighbors that do not gift me the items (free ones) that I request on my wish list. It's not that I don't appreciate all the gifts but if they don't help me with the items on my wish list, why should I keep them as neighbors? I gift them the items that they request. Always the free ones and if possible, gifts that I have in my inventory or the priced ones (i.e., peacock feather, jade key, etc.).

I have tried gifting them items not on their wish list to see if they will get the point, but that doesn't seem to get through to them. And, some of them don't have items on the wish list, so I guess it doesn't matter to them. But, I always gift them.

I always try to be a good neighbor. I will always help my neighbors if they request it or if I see an expedition, I gift to the max. Not to get the top chests but to help them open their expedition.

Any suggestions or am I wrong in my thinking about receiving items not on my wish list? Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Billye

Edited on 09/24/2017 at 4:47:37 PM PST

Evalm
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

Re:Gifting wish list

[Post New]by Evalm on Sep 24, 17 8:32 PM
Billye, you are always a good neighbour and while I don't think this will help you, just wanted to agree that no, you are not wrong re: wishlists.

I have several neighbours that only ever ask for BP gifts which I don't always have. I will give them if I have them (otherwise common charges), and I have several more that only ask for free gifts.

Additionally, many others with empty wishlists whom, like you, I also take the time and trouble to gift with common charges - If these empty wishlisters are not happy with what I gift, they may feel free to put an item, any item on their wishlist

Most of the people who only ask for BP gifts do gift according to my wishlist - I very rarely ask for anything other than free items - but there are many, usually lower level players and empty wishlisters who will gift me out of date quest/offer charges or refreshing dew or some such. I wonder sometimes if this is because I don't gift them the BP items that I don't have?

Other times I try to think more charitably, that they just don't have the time to run through people's wishlists .... which is really the crux for me. I don't have the time either, some day's I cannot play the game or comp because I spend so long gifting i.e. visiting, re-visiting to check if wishlists have changed and generally just trying to give what is requested or something appropriate. I have even been known to chase a few ghosts on my own board to try and get parts for White Noise, Nautilus etc. that people are asking for.

Gifting is one of those areas that is repeatedly discussed on the boards here every few months or so and I do not know what the answer is. To be honest, gifting has become a chore for me rather than a pleasure and it is probably the main thing that will stop me playing the game permanently ....

BillyeLH
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by BillyeLH on Sep 25, 17 10:08 AM
Evalm wrote:Billye, you are always a good neighbour and while I don't think this will help you, just wanted to agree that no, you are not wrong re: wishlists.

I have several neighbours that only ever ask for BP gifts which I don't always have. I will give them if I have them (otherwise common charges), and I have several more that only ask for free gifts.

Additionally, many others with empty wishlists whom, like you, I also take the time and trouble to gift with common charges - If these empty wishlisters are not happy with what I gift, they may feel free to put an item, any item on their wishlist

Most of the people who only ask for BP gifts do gift according to my wishlist - I very rarely ask for anything other than free items - but there are many, usually lower level players and empty wishlisters who will gift me out of date quest/offer charges or refreshing dew or some such. I wonder sometimes if this is because I don't gift them the BP items that I don't have?

Other times I try to think more charitably, that they just don't have the time to run through people's wishlists .... which is really the crux for me. I don't have the time either, some day's I cannot play the game or comp because I spend so long gifting i.e. visiting, re-visiting to check if wishlists have changed and generally just trying to give what is requested or something appropriate. I have even been known to chase a few ghosts on my own board to try and get parts for White Noise, Nautilus etc. that people are asking for.

Gifting is one of those areas that is repeatedly discussed on the boards here every few months or so and I do not know what the answer is. To be honest, gifting has become a chore for me rather than a pleasure and it is probably the main thing that will stop me playing the game permanently ....

Evalm, I hope you don't stop playing but I especially can understand if you do. Since I stopped for a long time.

I thank you for your comments & advice!

The ones that really baffle me are the ones that have played the game for a long time and should know better. I can understand the "newbies" not gifting what I have requested but not the ones that are high up in levels.

Again, Evalm, thank you!

Billye

Desp1na
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Desp1na on Sep 25, 17 12:16 PM
Dear Billye & Evalm,

This is truly a difficult subject, YET it could be so simple!

I agree with everyone's way of playing, but to ask for a simple "FREE" charge, seems to become difficult for some of the players. I respect their choice of play.

We all could voice our opinion, but not everyone will adhere.

You are both my neighbours for a very long time (even when you both took a long break, I kept the lights on).

You're the best and I thank you both for everything.
Kind regards,
Despina

Cyberfox277
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by Cyberfox277 on Sep 25, 17 12:51 PM
I can only speak for myself, of course, but since you've asked, and you're a new neighbour. I can tell you that I don't have time to go through WLs every day, it's going through WLs or play, when I have a WL I don't have time to play, simple as that

So in my case, I wish you'd send me something you need and I'll return it, saves time and trouble for everyone

BillyeLH
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by BillyeLH on Sep 25, 17 3:42 PM
Desp1na wrote:Dear Billye & Evalm,

This is truly a difficult subject, YET it could be so simple!

I agree with everyone's way of playing, but to ask for a simple "FREE" charge, seems to become difficult for some of the players. I respect their choice of play.

We all could voice our opinion, but not everyone will adhere.

You are both my neighbours for a very long time (even when you both took a long break, I kept the lights on).

You're the best and I thank you both for everything.
Kind regards,
Despina

Thank you very much, my dear friend, Despina!

You are a wonderful neighbor to keep the lights on & for bugging me to come back to RoM! LMBO!

Hugs to everyone!

Billye

BillyeLH
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by BillyeLH on Sep 25, 17 3:43 PM
Cyberfox277 wrote:I can only speak for myself, of course, but since you've asked, and you're a new neighbour. I can tell you that I don't have time to go through WLs every day, it's going through WLs or play, when I have a WL I don't have time to play, simple as that

So in my case, I wish you'd send me something you need and I'll return it, saves time and trouble for everyone

I was your neighbor before, Cyberfox! Thank you for the information.

Billye

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Sep 26, 17 6:15 AM
I have a suggestion - which is what I would do when it mattered to me that I got what was on my list, and didn't really want anything else - cause what was on my list was what I needed. (shew - runon sentence there, right?)
(I want to add that you get to a point in the game, eventually, when you have 400, maybe even 500 of each charge item that is giftable, and it doesn't matter at all what people send you - or even if they send you anything! - so at this stage of my game, it doesn't matter to me what people send me. .... but ... anyway ....)

what I used to do was to send people in-game mails through their mailboxes. I'd ask if they could please send me what was on my wish list cause I really needed those things.
Some did as I requested thereafter. Others did not.
I deleted the ones that did not because they are of no use to me - AT THE TIME!

You'll get past the point where what is on your wish list matters all that much. The things you really end up needing are the things that can't be gifted !!

Good luck with all this, and do enjoy your game. After all - it IS ... "YOUR" game!
Play it the way YOU want to play it!
and remember - YOU are in control of who is your neighbor - or not!

Namaste.

BillyeLH
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by BillyeLH on Sep 26, 17 9:20 AM
marliza wrote:I have a suggestion - which is what I would do when it mattered to me that I got what was on my list, and didn't really want anything else - cause what was on my list was what I needed. (shew - runon sentence there, right?)
(I want to add that you get to a point in the game, eventually, when you have 400, maybe even 500 of each charge item that is giftable, and it doesn't matter at all what people send you - or even if they send you anything! - so at this stage of my game, it doesn't matter to me what people send me. .... but ... anyway ....)

what I used to do was to send people in-game mails through their mailboxes. I'd ask if they could please send me what was on my wish list cause I really needed those things.
Some did as I requested thereafter. Others did not.
I deleted the ones that did not because they are of no use to me - AT THE TIME!

You'll get past the point where what is on your wish list matters all that much. The things you really end up needing are the things that can't be gifted !!

Good luck with all this, and do enjoy your game. After all - it IS ... "YOUR" game!
Play it the way YOU want to play it!
and remember - YOU are in control of who is your neighbor - or not!

Namaste.

Thank you so much, Namaste! I really appreciate your comments! They are very helpful!

You must be up there with my friend, Despina, because I'm finally over 1,000 (levels) and I still need items to complete the talismans that I like to use.

You are right & it is my game. I just feel bad about deleting some of the people. Yes, I know that I'm an "Old Softie"! LOL! I have some neighbors that are asleep & I know will probably never come back to RoM, but I won't delete them.

You can be my neighbor anytime, Namaste!

Again, thanks!

Billye

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Sep 26, 17 10:37 AM
Hello again Billye ----
no, I am only in the 500's level. But I compete. When other competitors see my level, they tend to back out of competitions. Not only that, but I've made every artifact lots of times and have lots in my backpack that I hardly ever use. So - I don't "need" for anything that is giftable.

I'm glad you liked what I had to say. I just didn't want you to think I was over 1000 level, cause I sure am not!

Best Regards,

Marliza
(oh --- and Namaste, also. )

rilana58
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by rilana58 on Sep 27, 17 10:49 AM
I've got plenty of neighbours who gift me, mostly with what I ask for, and mostly free gifts.
I've got plenty of neighbours who gift me never ever.
Each day I play I make a tour of my neighbours and gift what they ask for, when possible of course. But when they don't ask I don't gift.

It's a game, not necessary to get frustrated about gifts/gifting

[Post New]by mistyshadow on Sep 27, 17 12:37 PM
I agree with you BillyeLH,

I have several neighbors that do not gift me the items (free ones) that I request on my wish list. It's not that I don't appreciate all the gifts but if they don't help me with the items on my wish list, why should I keep them as neighbors? I gift them the items that they request.

I have 110 neighbors, a few extra over 100 due to some sleepers, & if they were all awake I would send BP items to the rest. Out of 110 I only receive 36 gifts per day. A neighbor over 1000 has never, never sent me any gifts! Mind you at times I've sent this person BP items. I am not a high level player so when I do send a BP item it puts a bit of a strain on my game, but I enjoy helping my neighbors when possible.

I find that I cannot continue playing with only 36 gifts per day, it takes forever to collect enough charges to assemble anything & level up. Some days I do not visit neighbors, I just gift from their WL, from the window above their name. It takes no time at all to do it this way, allowing me more game play time.

Soon I will have no choice to either leave the game, delete sleeping/ non gifting neighbors. I will not feel bad as I once would have, because it seems that they have no desire to help me with my game. If they can't help me with my game, why should I feel bad when I do not have the BP items they request or the food to help them with expeditions?
I have neighbors who take 3 chest while holding a dragon expeditions! I just gave you all the food I can afford at the time, & you are so greedy to take all the chest!

I DO have some wonderful neighbors, just not enough to get me to the point where I will no longer have to rely on them for gifts. The 1st ones to go is the over 1000 non gifter & the one who never gifts from my usually free item WL.

Just to let all my neighbors know I will be cleaning house soon, & if I delete anyone by mistake, please re-request friending me. I hold no grudges on anyone for their gift, or non-gifting. Perhaps by reading this, my troublesome ones will not like my point of view & leave on their own.

Everyone remember, we all need support of our neighbors, whether it be for gifting, feeding dragons, or visiting them to gain gifts while in their hood. I can no longer help the ones who show no respect toward each other or me.

I want to play the game as much as anyone else!

thurber
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
482 Posts

[Post New]by thurber on Sep 27, 17 7:14 PM
There must be something about gifting I don't understand. Like Despina, it seems easy to me and takes less than five minutes. Maybe something I do will help others or someone can tell me where I'm going wrong.

I have about 100 playing neighbors plus some sleepers (too many. It's time to clean house again). Most of you who posted here are my much appreciated neighbors.

Visiting can go fast or slow depending on how many creatures I feed. I have a list of sleepers and as I visit it's easy to make changes to the list.

After visiting, I begin gifting with the lowest level players so that if they need backpack items I'm low on, they get them first. Those who have empty wish lists get nothing at the moment.

When I get to the end (highest level neighbor), I choose someone I've already gifted and hit 'gift.' This brings up a list of people I have not gifted. I choose a gift. For me, that's flints or ores on alternate days (I know Despina - LOLOL). Using my list of sleepers I can quickly gift those who are not sleeping but whose wish lists are empty. Easy and done in no time!

The issue of non- gifters and those who do not gift from my wish list, which always has free gifts, is thornier. I let those who ignore my wish list pass once or twice. People get busy. But if it continues, I in-game message them or send them something totally useless, ignoring their wish list. No response? Out they go. There are lots of good players out there to take their place.

As to people who do not gift - I admit I'm mostly unaware because I don't pay attention. Early on I kept a list of who gifted and who didn't. It got time consuming so I quit. But when I do notice I WILL pay attention and if it turns out to be chronic, again, out they go! I have a low level neighbor now who never gifts. I have stopped gifting her and when I get around to it, will delete her.

I hope this helps someone, or someone will tell me a better, easier way.

[Post New]by VictoriaFine on Sep 29, 17 9:05 AM
This thread has helped me very much. I have been a bit too concerned about gifting flints and ores because I was once told it was a no no. I do gift free common charges though, even though I am pretty sure my high level neighbors don't really need 'em.

I am not at 100 yet and am astounded at how low I always am on charges and coins.

You guys are great neighbors and I for one would rather you gave me an ore or a free common charge so you could have time to play if it meant keeping you in the game.

thurber
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
482 Posts

[Post New]by thurber on Sep 29, 17 4:06 PM
Some people like flints and ores. Some people don't (LOL - you know who you are!). The reason I give them is two-fold:

1) Long ago, in a galaxy far away, we in the pond decided that since we can't put them on our wish list, if a player left their list empty, they needed flints or ores. Thus, a tradition was established.

2) OK, so that was then. After a while, newer players said, "Hey what's with this flints and ores stuff?" So much for tradition... I continue to give them because we still can't ask for them, everyone can use them on a daily basis, and I have no other ideas about what an empty gift lister wants. If they wanted common charges they'd put them on the list, right? Also I'm a sucker for tradition.

glca
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by glca on Sep 30, 17 1:33 AM
Thurber, we run out of flints & ore pretty much every time we visit; so if a N is short on time we'll always use those. We have players that we've agreed to ignore the freebies on their WLs and send Ore on Tuesday & Thursday & flints the rest of the week.

We really like it when our Ns have a freebie on their WL. If they don't, I have a list of basic freebies; a different one for me & John each day. Today is Friday (was Friday) so our Ns without a freebie get Earth Essence from John & Heat of Fire from me.

So I visit each neighbor and gift what they are requesting including any b/p items we have to spare. Then those without a freebie get what's on our list for the day.

No matter how high a level a N is, everyone can use a basic (Rocks, Dark Matter, Magic Dust, etc.). i haven't had any complaints yet. I also take special requests, so if there's something you need just ask

Gabrielle

clm5457
Catfish
Catfish
1,588 Posts

[Post New]by clm5457 on Sep 30, 17 3:24 AM
thurber wrote:Some people like flints and ores. Some people don't (LOL - you know who you are!). The reason I give them is two-fold:

1) Long ago, in a galaxy far away, we in the pond decided that since we can't put them on our wish list, if a player left their list empty, they needed flints or ores. Thus, a tradition was established.

2) OK, so that was then. After a while, newer players said, "Hey what's with this flints and ores stuff?" So much for tradition... I continue to give them because we still can't ask for them, everyone can use them on a daily basis, and I have no other ideas about what an empty gift lists wants. If they wanted common charges they'd put them on the list, right? Also I'm a sucker for tradition.

I totally agree with you. I was in that galaxy far away when we decided on this. I would love it if my neighbors gave me only ores and flints. And your right, you can use them everyday. I have over 2500 free charges which I will never use.

But, everyone is different.

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Sep 30, 17 4:08 AM
On FLINTS and ORES - you can now buy them in the store, under the creature tab. (just wanted to point that out as they are now quite available).

thurber
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
482 Posts

[Post New]by thurber on Sep 30, 17 4:10 PM
Of course you can buy flints and ores but I'd rather not spend the coins (Cheapskate).

Phoebe1157
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Phoebe1157 on Oct 4, 17 10:00 AM
I think everyone does gifting different so the easy way is to find what works for you and your game play. It might be the wish list or to send people what you need and they send it back. If neighbors aren't gifting I would ask them why, only b/c at one time during my game play I was gifting and the neighbors weren't getting the gifts (occasionally) I sent. One thing I don't understand is the neighbors that don't have time to gift...confusing to me.. with 100 neighbors it takes about 4/5 minutes.

Good Luck Happy Gaming...!

Go to: