battle rooms

[Post New]by DavyRavenhorst on Sep 25, 17 6:27 PM
Hi fishies:

I was having trouble with the battle rooms, namely level 11 which does have one battle room. Is there any strategies/tips on how to beat these battle rooms?? I keep on losing these rounds and have to start it over again. I read somewhere else (in another thread) that the battles are entirely optional and they can be skipped. I would "hate" to skip and ignore these, as I would not get a badge, and I am one of those people that like to collect everything and get the badges, so please help me out fishies!!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:battle rooms

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 25, 17 6:49 PM
Haven't played yet since I can't d/l it today but a friend told me you apparently need to work on making bigger matches of 4 or more tiles.

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Sep 26, 17 6:44 AM
Hi Davy

Yes, you need to make match 4 and match 5 for big strikes. Match 5 (the bomb) will give you an extra move.

Keep building up your sequence as this gives you additional hits. If you've not used sequencing yet, they're the icons alongside your character's life panel and you make the sequence from the bottom up.

Also, keep an eye on your opponent's sequence. The higher up that's highlighted, the closer your opponent is to a strike against you. You may want to delay that by matching your opponent's icons.

Don't waste moves. If you can't make a 4, 5 or sequence match, then "steal" from your opponent's sequence, if possible.

Hope this helps.

KDinMD43
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by KDinMD43 on Sep 27, 17 6:34 PM
Thanks for the info. It just seems impossible since it seems like my opponent is able to make bigger sequences than me. And he seems to be able to do double hits too! The battles are the only sucky part of this game. Loved the matches in Silver Tales.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 27, 17 9:25 PM
Hi KDinMD43, I will confess to getting my tailfin kicked in the battles until I saw Lyndy20's tips here. In case you didn't see my additional notes in the tips thread on the battles, I've also found that you don't just want to worry about building your sequence. It's better to make a big match of 4 or more tiles if one is available than work on your sequence, because doing "non-sequence" matches in battles will not break the sequence. Not only do the bigger matches give you a hit on the opponent but M5s or bigger give you a free turn, delaying the opponent's attacks.

If you get a cascade going, it can count towards your sequence if some of the cascade included the required matches in your sequence. If you finish your sequence with a M4 or bigger it's a double hit to your opponent. Pattern recognition is important when choosing your matches. Try not to make a match where the tiles are going to fall in such that your opponent can make a big match on their turn, because they are playing under the same rules as you, and the computer gets pretty smart with building the opponent's sequence and making bigger matches.

Good luck, and hope that helps!

[Post New]by JeansLady1 on Oct 9, 17 5:43 PM
I am stuck on level 22. Game won't play - click on things and absolutely nothing happens. The arrow is over my opponent's head and stays there. So extremely frustrating to be this far into a good game and then you hit an immovable glitch. I uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing changed. Still stuck with no ability to play level 22 or even pass the level.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Oct 9, 17 5:52 PM
Hi JeansLady1, I never had any freezing issues so am not sure why so many players are experiencing that problem. It seems to be a random occurrence and my guess is that because the game is such a resource hog not all computers are going to be able to run it. The battle games probably take more "juice" than anything else to run due to the complexity of having the computer play against you and the computer steadily getting smarter and smarter the farther you go.

Someone mentioned that toggling the game mode in the game options regenerates the level so you might want to try that as well as avoiding the battle rooms altogether if the game keeps freezing on you. There is no trophy or other achievement for getting the badge on a level and the previously played levels disappear into the ozone anyway once you go on to the next level.

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Oct 10, 17 4:07 PM
I am completely lost in these battles.. What am I supposed to do. and how can you bypass. How can I make these optional (DavyRavenhorst) and go to the next level?? I would dearly like to skip these, as I do not really care if I get badges (don't think that I have any)!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Oct 11, 17 6:48 AM
Larissa, the third post further up in this thread has the best tips on how to play the battles. If you just want to skip them, mouse around the edges of the room until you find the doorway you came in from and use the blue scroll arrows to back out. You can also avoid opening the room altogether as all battle rooms are the ones needing a battle shield to open.

The levels will not auto-complete if you don't "do everything" but if you have done the base goal of clearing all the gold tiles there should be a green check mark at the bottom right of the screen which you would click upon and choose to end the level early in order to bail out without the badge. Badges here mean nowhere near as much as they did in Silver Tale.

GreyGhost
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by GreyGhost on Oct 14, 17 6:29 AM
I had figured out how to do really good in the battle rooms during the first part of the game, but since reaching the higher levels (I'm like only 4 "builds" to completing the castle rebuild), I have noticed that no matter what I do, the computer seems to give all the good plays to your opponent, making it almost impossible to win the battle. I can spend an entire minute scouring the board for possible 4 and 5 matches to hit my opponent with, look for ways to keep him from moving up to an automatic hit, then make my selection to move up on my own, only to have the emblems fall into a 4 or 5 hit for him. And it seems like he'll get that hit AND fill his own column of emblems to get a double or triple hit against me, sometimes within the first couple moves, making my health drop a whole lot faster than his ever does. That tells me the battles are rigged after a certain point so you can't get the points awarded for winning and finish up the game in the same timely manner as you moved forward through the first levels. I've also noticed a dramatic decrease in the amount of gold and prizes you get to "trade in", sometimes only 2 or 3 pieces of things. Was fun at the start, now it's just a chore and I"m not sure I'm even going to finish the game out, which would be a first for me.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Oct 14, 17 6:38 AM
I noticed that too with the computer getting super smart/lucky by the time you get to around level 60. Even with all the tips for playing well, I was only able to win about 50% of the time. It is possible to keep badging the levels all the way through to the end game sequence...you just have to be really persistent with playing the battles. When the computer is this smart, you want to try to keep your matches up at the top of the screen so a huge cascade doesn't start and benefit your opponent on their turn. The computer and I were "playing chicken" near the top of the room quite a few times when neither of us could find a match to steal from the other's sequence nor could find a bigger match.

BTW, you can finish the levels without the badge by using the green check mark when it appears at the bottom right. Since the levels are going into the ozone once you go onto the next level, badges really don't mean much as there is no trophy to win for them either.

ekstra2000
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,357 Posts

[Post New]by ekstra2000 on Oct 14, 17 5:33 PM
I found I could generally beat most of the opponents until I got to the warlock overlord. After losing about 3 times, I did a little better and beat him (BARELY!). Once I had beaten him once, I was able to do it again.
It seems to me that as you fight and lose to the higher level mages, you may be gaining some sort of "experience" points that will assist you in later battles. So now, if I lose, I play the same foe again at least two or three times while I'm in that room. If I still can't win, I seem to be in better shape in the next level when a battle comes up.
Maybe that's all just "wishful thinking"...but I know I got to a point when I was able to consistently win, in my first game. I'm now on the second, and waiting to see if it works that way for me again.

firekat7
Clownfish
Clownfish
954 Posts

[Post New]by firekat7 on Nov 25, 17 10:29 PM
ekstra2000, I am in level 52 battle room with the warlock overload, and I swear he is cheating. He gets 3 turns for every 1 of mine. Towards the end of the battle, he may get 4 to 5 turns in a row. One time, he even got about 6 more turns after the battle was over. Is there something wrong with this level, or is the warlock overload just an a*****e? lol

Edited on 11/25/2017 at 10:30:20 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Nov 26, 17 11:02 AM
@firekat7: By that point of the game the computer is super smart in the battles as I'd posted earlier. You have to concentrate on finding a large match (not necessarily in your sequence) to make so the opponent doesn't take it on their turn. If there is no large match available, steal the next move from the opponent's sequence if you don't have a ready match for your sequence. If there isn't a match to make for that either, make a small M3 near the top of the room so a cascade doesn't start which will likely help the opponent on their turn. Every time you or the opponent make a M5 or bigger it gives that player a bomb which not only is a hit to the opponent but also gives an extra turn. That's probably why the computer seems to be getting more turns that you.

Pay attention to how the tiles are going to fall when you make your matches so you don't leave a setup for the opponent for them to shaft you with. If either player happens to get a cascade going, matches within their sequence that happen to occur during the cascade count towards the sequence. It's a lot to pay attention to late in the game, but the battles are still winnable if you keep trying.

Edited on 11/26/2017 at 11:06:49 AM PST

firekat7
Clownfish
Clownfish
954 Posts

[Post New]by firekat7 on Nov 27, 17 9:17 PM
Thanks SynthpopAddict,

I had tried all of the strategies you've laid out here except the part about doing small matches at the top. That strategy worked for me. I ended up winning the battle after about 4 more tries. I haven't had that same problem with battles on later levels. I guess it was just super bad luck on level 52.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Nov 28, 17 6:20 AM
You're welcome firekat7

I had the same experience with battling the warlock overlords too. They are just so sophisticated with the battles that I could only win about 50% of the time late in the game even "playing chicken" with them using the small matches at the top strategy (you'll notice the opponent will do the same thing).

Go to: