general tips thread

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

general tips thread

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 26, 17 5:40 AM
Big...Fish...Hook... LOL couldn't help myself

This is a work in progress and I've played but a handful of levels so far, but anyone with tips to share is welcome to post. I'll add discoveries of my own as I go along.

Map navigation:

-Mousing over the map in the bottom left and clicking on the magnifying glass expands the map and lets you see how much of the required and optional goals you've completed.

-You cannot see a locked room on the map until you've unlocked the blue lock corresponding to that room, so check your corners regularly for locks to open. The tool you need to unlock that lock is often in another room, but will be under covered tiles somewhere.

-To rapidly jump to a different room, open up the map and click on any available room to teleport yourself there (saves a lot of tedious navigating in a level!)

Edited on 09/26/2017 at 4:53:34 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:general tips thread

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 26, 17 6:33 AM
Winning the level badge:

This is an optional level goal where you have to break all chains, unlock all treasure chests, remove all fog, break all wood boxes, iron grates, and covered tiles, and do all the puzzles/minigames/caves if present. If playing in normal mode, the limited moves seems generous until you try "doing everything"!

[update] Based upon posts elsewhere in the forum, it doesn't appear possible to ever pull levels up on demand for replays. So if you're the sort who must win all the achievements in a game and you missed the badge on a level, the only chance you will get to replay is immediately after finishing that level by clicking the replay button.

Edited on 09/26/2017 at 7:51:38 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 26, 17 6:38 AM
Trophy case:

-There are a lot of trophies to win and usually when you get one, a popup box appears on the top right showing what it is, but not always (perhaps a glitch, or I was just missing it). To see all the available trophies, check the main opening screen by clicking the back button and then click the trophies button. Some of these are hard as heck to get! (Again, that moves counter in normal mode is super generous...if you don't need to win everything...)

-To get the "try all custom cursors" you have to pick one, then play at least a little in one room of a level before going back to the options and picking another cursor, repeating the process until you've won the trophy.

-I haven't seen a general level map as of yet...don't know if this will appear upon game completion or when the castle gets completely restored, or if this was never included. So if you want the "replay level" trophy the only way I can see to do it is to click the "replay" button immediately after finishing a level.

[update]
-The one trophy I can't figure out is "make 8 matches in 5 seconds". I am pretty sure I've done this several times already but it's not crediting me. Perhaps I've uncovered a glitch? [sigh] Seems that all of this dev's games have some sort of minor bug(s) in them somewhere based upon previous games I've played.

Edited on 09/26/2017 at 9:14:53 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 26, 17 9:25 AM
Battle mode minigames:

Thanks to Lyndy20 for these in another thread

Yes, you need to make match 4 and match 5 for big strikes. Match 5 (the bomb) will give you an extra move.

Keep building up your sequence as this gives you additional hits. If you've not used sequencing yet, they're the icons alongside your character's life panel and you make the sequence from the bottom up.

Also, keep an eye on your opponent's sequence. The higher up that's highlighted, the closer your opponent is to a strike against you. You may want to delay that by matching your opponent's icons.

Don't waste moves. If you can't make a 4, 5 or sequence match, then "steal" from your opponent's sequence, if possible.

-I've also found that it's better to try to make a large match of 4 or more tiles as your highest priority over building your sequence. Making some other type of match (during battles only) not in your sequence doesn't break the sequence, so it's better to hit your opponent with a large match if one is on the board. As Lyndy20 was saying previously, getting the bombs for M5s or bigger also gives you an extra turn which delays any attacks your opponent could make.

-Cascades can help build your sequence, and if you complete a sequence with a match of 4 or more tiles, it damages your opponent a lot more.

-The computer quickly gets really smart with matches in the battles, so be careful not to set yourself up where your opponent can make a huge move on their next turn, as your opponent can also hog the turns with bombs, etc.!

Edited on 09/26/2017 at 9:26:01 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 26, 17 9:31 AM
Sequences: (in regular rooms)

-The sequence is the set of tiles on the right side of the screen in a regular M3 "room". It is a completely optional goal not listed in the level's "things to do" and doesn't have to be done for badges. The way to complete a sequence is to make matches of the tiles shown in the sequence starting from the bottom up. Doing this awards you a bit of extra gold, and if you do 5 sequences in one level, wins you a trophy. Another trophy is won for doing 50 sequences overall.

-Sometimes a sequence contains tiles which are only found in a certain room of a level, so you'll have to find that one room. [update] Sequencing gets hard quickly, because you often get sequences requiring you to travel between multiple rooms in order to do them. As long as you don't break the sequence with an extraneous match, you will have to jump around on the map until you find the rooms with the tiles you need if you don't see all of them in one room.

Edited on 09/26/2017 at 11:26:03 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 26, 17 9:50 AM
"My room's still gray" (no check mark for room on map):

-This usually means you have some optional item such as a cave, battle minigame, treasure chest, plain grid (I think they're called "iron bars" in the game?) tiles, plain chained pieces, wood boxes, or fog left in that room. As long as all the gold tiles have been removed from the level's rooms you can bail out early without the badge by using the green check mark that will appear. However, if you're a "do everything" type, you have to work on finding/clearing/breaking everything in order for all the rooms to have a check mark on the map.

-Gold tiles may hide underneath chains, grid tiles, ice cubes, wood boxes, dirt tiles, and webs so if you can't get a message for the room saying all the gold tiles were done, check these blocked spaces (especially the grid tiles) for gold tiles beneath them.

-Grid tiles can only be broken by making either an amphora or bomb with a larger match and getting it within explosion range of the grid before either double clicking the explosive item or dragging said item one space to blow it up. You can also buy bombs or use bombs you've got in your bomb stash on the left, but I've been finding all my gold is going towards building the castle, so extra gold for buying bombs is hard to come by...

-Many of the other blocked space type of tiles have to be cleared by finding some type of item/powerup in another room which will automatically trigger as soon as you return to the room with the blocked tiles that item clears.

I'm only on level 15 and I'm tired - this game is still quite the project to play, even if the cave levels are so far easier than the digging levels in Silver Tale!

Edited on 09/26/2017 at 9:50:34 AM PST

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Sep 26, 17 4:53 PM
Hello SynthpopAddict,

Thank you for taking the time to start this thread. Since it will be beneficial to other players, I've gone ahead and stickied it. Please don't hesitate to PM me or another moderator if any questions arise.

bfgBeruna

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 26, 17 7:28 PM
You're welcome bfgBeruna, and thank you for stickying the thread! It might just be me, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this game is thought of as a less-content heavy version of the previous M3s Playcademy put out. About the only things missing are not having to feed/care for a horse all the time and not having extra stashes of resources from the M3 boards to be able to click on a "finish" button for various quests. So having this thread permanently near the top of the forum page ought to be helpful, as I remember seeing many of these same questions in the previous games. Thanks again!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 26, 17 11:01 PM
Double bomb trick:

-If you align two bombs, two amphorae, or a bomb and an amphora and then drag one into the other, it clears out a row or column depending on which direction you dragged in. The two bombs might clear out a larger area, but I'm not sure since this is such a hard combo to set up. You get trophies for each combo as well.

-Unfortunately, this trick won't work across holes in a room, so if there are tight spots in corners it's better to try to get just a single amphora or bomb and double click on it or drag it appropriately.

Speaking of bombs in general, I'm currently at level 28 and there never seems to be more than 1 bomb in my bomb stash. If I use it, then I might get another bomb in a treasure chest afterwards.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 26, 17 11:06 PM
Cave minigames:

-From what I've played so far (which I will admit isn't all that much yet as the game looks to be very long), the caves are simplified versions of the digging levels from Silver Tale. Instead of getting silver holly you get a gold nugget for reaching the bottom. Your moves are unlimited in caves, so it's worth it to get some extra gold even if your move counter is running low otherwise.

-Work mostly from the bottom and try to create as many bigger matches as you can regularly since exploding amphorae and bombs helps you dig much faster.

Edited on 09/26/2017 at 11:07:08 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 26, 17 11:15 PM
Jewel matching: (no not that other series of M3s that the lead designer for Match Ventures also worked upon LOL )

-The game tutorial popups tell you that the colored jewels which unlock locked spaces in some rooms need to be dropped off the bottom of the room to collect. You can also explode an amphora or bomb next to them to get them, which is often faster.

-The swirly looking pieces that open "portals" in some levels can be collected in either of these ways as well. Although it seems that one room associated with a portal is off by itself on the map, you don't necessarily have to use the portal to navigate to it once you've got that isolated room showing on the map - the opening of the map and jumping yourself to the available room trick works.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 26, 17 11:18 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else sometimes think they put way too many blocked tile types in this game?

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Sep 27, 17 11:42 AM
Hi SynthpopAddict

Another great batch of tips from you!

I've revised my opinion of MatchVentures being less content heavy than Silver Tale. I'm realising, as the game progresses, that no it isn't! Loving it all the same.

Trophies: That 8 matches in 5 seconds is going to be a toughie for me. I'm too slow to do that the normal way. How I think I might be able to do it is by lining up doubles, so 4 moves instead of 8. But that will be a work in progress, alongside the match 7's, lol. A busy work period means I'm going to have to put aside the fun and games for the next few days.

Regarding bombs: you can buy additional bombs. Click on the plus sign next to your stash and you can buy another bomb for 50 gold.

Enjoy the rest of the game.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 27, 17 12:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback Lyndy20! I appreciate your sharing the battle minigame tips earlier because I will confess to getting beaten badly several times early on in the battles until I read those.

As for the 8 matches in 5 seconds trophy I'm starting to think it doesn't work for some reason or else one must make the 8 matches with some other condition like not having any cascades occur in between (nearly impossible) or breaking at least one tile with every move, which is also quite difficult once you've gotten past the very first few levels. I'm enjoying the game still, but it's hard to play for long periods of time with all the things to do. LOL I now have the strange idea that the M3 chain god met up with the gastroenteritis-looking tiles from Owl Rescue, and their union produced all the blocked tiles here!

Thanks for the tip on buying bombs. I was resisting that for the longest time but by level 35 or so I had to cave a few times. I also had to buy moves somewhere around level 38, so that moves counter is definitely not generous if trying to badge the levels!

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Sep 27, 17 1:42 PM
SynthpopAddict wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else sometimes think they put way too many blocked tile types in this game?

Yes, yes, yes! I'm realizing that more this time around! AND...I'm also realizing that there's a lot more to do than I thought from the first time around! Even though you probably would have ended up buying this game regardless of what anyone told you, I still feel a little guilty that I mislead you into thinking there wasn't that much content! But at least there aren't all those puzzles you provided solutions for in Silver Tale! Anyway, in addition to everyone appreciating all your tips, I think everyone also appreciates the fact that you're playing at the same time they are (a little buttering up never hurts!)

Also, I wanted to tell you that the "8 matches in 5 seconds" trophy was among some of the ones that I didn't get either during my 78 levels. And...I was trying to get everything just short of not doing the battles. I gave up my OCD because I kept getting mad at the computer outsmarting me!

BTW, because of your "strange" sense of humor , I will have to go back in Owl Rescue to see "those" tiles you're referring to!

Edited on 09/27/2017 at 1:48:29 PM PST

cabanaeast18
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

Re:level 27-help!

[Post New]by cabanaeast18 on Sep 27, 17 3:27 PM
he room with the triangles - can't finish. It's something simple, but I can't figure!

moonryu
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by moonryu on Sep 27, 17 3:59 PM
What is the pattern of the match 6 and match 7s?

I have tried
X
X
A X Z Y <-- moving the Y to the X position.
X
X
Moving the Y to the X position would make a 6 match.
And if the A was a X then the moving of Y to the Z would make a 7 match but neither
work? And I have does this on the same level -- does it need to be in the same screen on the same level?

moonryu
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by moonryu on Sep 27, 17 3:59 PM
What is the pattern of the match 6 and match 7s?

I have tried
X
X
A X Z Y <-- moving the Y to the Z position.
X
X
Moving the Y to the X position would make a 6 match.
And if the A was a X then the moving of Y to the Z would make a 7 match but neither
work? And I have does this on the same level -- does it need to be in the same screen on the same level?
Note the vertical line of X should line up with the Z but for some reason the post doesn't show that.

Edited on 09/27/2017 at 4:01:01 PM PST

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Sep 27, 17 7:50 PM
cabanaeast18,

I don't know specifically on level 27, but there are other levels (even prior to this one) where you need to find the various colored triangular jewels in another room that will eliminate the triangles. In the other room, you need to bring them down to the bottom of the board (or use the bomb/amphora on them). Once you have them, they will show up to the left of the screen, underneath the bomb powerup. Since I've played most of the levels, and I can't go back to replay this level, I can't tell you what color or where the jewel/s are. But, once you've found the jewel, and you go back to the room with the empty triangles, they will automatically be eliminated for you.

I don't remember what levels, but I believe there are some levels where you have to find 2 different colored jewels in separate rooms, before you can eliminate all the empty triangular spaces.

It just dawned on me that maybe you're just referencing the room that happens to have the triangular spaces, and something else in this room is not cleared. If so, the only thing you can do is double check the board to find any chains, fog, grids, dirt, crates, cave entrance, or treasure chest (did I leave anything out?)
It sure would help if we could pull up completed levels!

Edited on 09/27/2017 at 9:38:14 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 27, 17 9:36 PM
Hi moonryu, if you are asking how to match 6 or 7 tiles at one time, the way you do it is with a T shaped match. The T can be in any orientation, but for a M7 in particular, it's easiest to have the T shape look like the T in this text.

Here's a diagram of a M7 setup. The X's are tiles of the same type and you drag the top X down one space to match all 7 of them.

xxxxX
X XxxxX X
xxxxX
xxxxX

For a M6 you leave off one tile from any section of the T, for example:

xxxxX
X XxxxX
xxxxX
xxxxX

Since you can leave off the tile from any "arm" of the T, it's much easier to make M6s lying in any orientation, but I find I can pretty much only do M7s with the top diagram setup.

Go to: