gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Dale Hardshovel and the Bloomstone Mystery Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 4, 10 1:41 AM
I've played half the demo so far with no tech problems.

It's a linear set of puzzles - that is, it appears that every replay, you'd be faced with the exact same puzzles. If you don't mind that sort of puzzle game, this one starts out easy enough and pleasant enough. I did not feel rushed or punished for mistakes.

However, I also did not feel compelled to buy it. Someone with different tastes in puzzles may like it, though.

tinkz2007
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

Re: Dale Hardshovel and the Bloomstone Mystery Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by tinkz2007 on May 4, 10 3:16 AM
Have just played about 10 minutes of this game, and it is definately not for me. The puzzles are tedious and quite repetitive.
I suppose those that enjoy puzzle games, may like this game, but I didnt.
There is a help button, although you are limited to 3 tries (I think), the music is annoying, but I turned the sound off on my computer. The graphics are not brilliant, have definately seen better.

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on May 4, 10 3:19 AM
I played for a bit and I know a couple of fishies that may like this one. I thought it was challenging and frustrating. I noticed that the levels were getting harder, but also notice as I got further in the game some levels were rather easy. Dale Hardshovel is a brain teasing puzzle game that will have you matching relics, you can also obtain trophies and I believe it has about 100 levels. Some fishies may have the patience for these games, for those that do Kudos in the exteme!! Happy Gaming!!

Edited on 05/04/2010 at 4:38:59 AM PST

churly72
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by churly72 on May 4, 10 4:07 AM
more kidstuff...2 games in 1 day...pretty pitty.

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on May 4, 10 6:03 PM
I guess puzzle games aren't really my thing, but I though I would give this one a try. Played for 4 minutes before giving up in frustration. And I really don't see what the puzzles have to do with what I read about the story. Since I can't get past the second puzzle, I guess I'll never find out. I think someone who likes to solve puzzles would like this one, but it's just not for me.

beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by beckx020 on May 4, 10 6:38 PM
I've only played half the demo but I love it! I'll finish playing the rest of the demo time and if I don't run into a level I can't do, I'll buy it.

I found it more challenging than match 3 games etc. It IS a puzzle game. I think it's a keeper. Along the lines of Mortimer (the castle one, not Becket).

I wasn't able to complete the bonus puzzle where you find keys and avoid the mummies. I got some keys, but it said I ran out of time. And I lost lives too. Maybe I'll get better as time goes along.

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on May 4, 10 9:10 PM
Really hated this game, I did not even finish the demo.

The puzzles are tedious and graphically not very amazing. I would expect to find this as a free online game not a downloadable game.

The mouse controls are not very good in the mini-game, the maze one, the gaps in the wall are tricky to get through and as I am someone that has grip and pain problems in my mouse hand it left me in a lot of pain trying to do it.

Will not be buying this one at all.

Good games have been a bit thin on the ground lately, what is going on??

kitty1
Flounder
Flounder
2,194 Posts

[Post New]by kitty1 on May 5, 10 8:31 PM
I thought this was a pretty good game & different than the usual TM, match-3, HOG. However I am not very good at these kind of games & so I really needed more hints & finally gave up in frustration. However if you are good at these types of puzzles I think you would like it.

Marg2
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Marg2 on May 13, 10 3:40 AM
When this game was out years ago in DOS - can't remember the name - I loved it, though I was never able to finish all the puzzles. So I was excited when I realized this was a game with the same type of puzzles. Actually, some of them seemed to be the exact same puzzles. What a disappointment! Not only are the graphics and story mediocre, the gloved hand at times feels like wearing a work glove trying to pick up a pin, in other words, sluggish and awkward. A good remake of the old game I would buy in a second. I'll have to pass on this one. Too bad!

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on May 15, 10 7:56 AM
Deleted the game after just playing it for 3 minutes.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on May 21, 10 10:46 PM
Thanks TerryMann for your even mindedness!

I like puzzle games and mostly enjoyed this one. I agree with one of the above posters that the game play is addictive. I have not played the Prof. Fittzwizzle games and so can't compare.

The wrapping (sound, voice, and graphics) seemed sometimes charming to me and sometimes annoying. Let's say they were charmingly annoying. For example, I couldn't decide if the guy said "Now you're in the bizzo!" one more time I would go on a tri-state killing spree or take it on as my own catch-phrase. Yes, I realize those two reactions are not mutually exclusive. I did like it that I'm not really sure if that's what he was saying or what it means. But I imagine it's what an Australian guru says to his best students when they are about to achieve enlightenment -- "Now you are entering the bizzo" -- something like that.

Anyway, minor complaint is too many easy puzzles. I liked that there were a variety of easy and challenging and often the easy one prepared you for a challenging one. But I'm petulant anyway.

The major complaint was those **** mummy mazes. The mouse control was horrid and there was no option for using arrow keys. At least the game let me keep going despite absolute failure at this. Fast mummies too! What is the world of horror coming to? Fast zombies and now fast mummies!? They should all be tested for steroids.

Guamchef
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by Guamchef on May 21, 10 11:08 PM
I really got addicted to this game, witness the fact that it is two in the morning and I am looking for a soultion to level 97. I hope eventually I will be struck by a bolt of genius but if not, I hope someone will eventually post a help or solution. I hate to be so close and yet so far.

Go to: