Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Factory Katz: The Grand Banquet here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 10, 17 12:42 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 10/10/2017 at 6:32:34 AM PST

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Factory Katz: The Grand Banquet here.

[Post New]by judy76073 on Oct 10, 17 4:41 AM
WOW - lasted all of 5 minutes on this game. seems to be a really old game. I always play in "windowed" mode - NO option to change from full screen to windowed. very slow moving between scenes and an awful lot of talking.

NO buy for me, not even with a freebie PCC.

M_LADY
Clownfish
Clownfish
887 Posts

[Post New]by M_LADY on Oct 10, 17 5:37 AM
Based on the demo.

I found this to be a nice game apparently geared to younger players. Although I found it to be, for the most part, very enjoyable.

The game is very linear, but there is a transporting map and collectibles are indicated on the map.

HOS consist of list finds, collect X number of objects and there was a FROG at the end of the demo. And some of the HOS were the least enjoyable part of this game to me due to the extremely small size of the objects.

Collectibles are seventeen flying pigs! LOL Some are not easy, at least for me, to spot.

There is a fair amount of humor in this game. Oskar the cat is one of the main attractions. The minigames, with one exception, were fun and not difficult.

The hint system is quite different from what we see in games today, but it is useful...I used it quite a bit in the HOS!

There are two levels of difficulty. There is a clicking penalty in the more difficult setting.

I recommend trying this game if you want a humorous, easy-going game.

lj_brit
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by lj_brit on Oct 10, 17 5:43 AM
I stuck it out for 53 minutes! I think I just couldn't believe something exciting wasn't going to happen if I could just hang on! IMHO if this was the first game you'd ever tried, it would be your last game too. I do advocate trying all games, one man's meat ........, but in this specific instance, by all means try it, but if you don't enjoy the first 10 minutes, I'd move on to something else, because it's more and more of the same! I can't even say the scenery was bright and cheerful. The only positive I can say, it downloaded and played with no problem.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Oct 10, 17 6:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Factory Katz: The Grand Banquet here. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Factory Katz: The Grand Banquet.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Oct 10, 17 7:18 AM
Its funny other comments cause there all so true! Lol!
Game pretty much controls were you go even what hint wants you to find, so far just HO scenes! No voice overs except introductory for a short min! You have to read what janitor tells you to do, if I wanted to read Id get a good book!
W/ all that said I might get game w/ a free game coupon!(I know that sounds hypocritical) But its not super horrible! Ive seen worse, & w/ all the spooky games this ones relaxing!

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Oct 10, 17 7:46 AM
This is an old school, scroll to zoom into the HO scenes, because everything looks the same, game. It's very similar to the HdO games but you can't drag the scenes around with your mouse, at least not mine. The graphics are average, with an abundance of gold hues, and the music is neither here nor there. At the beginning of the game, a woman narrates the story of the Katz Factory, but it was if she were reading a bedtime story to a 4 year old, trying to make the story more interesting for her own benefit. After that, you meet up with Otto the plant manager, and he slightly moves his lips, but he has no voice, so you just read the text dialog.

You can choose between an Easy or Normal difficulty mode, and there are 9 Concept Art pictures included. There is a section called Concept Code, which I found to be hilarious, and the best part of the game. At first it looks like simple computer data coding used to create the game, but if you read the words you'll realize that someone has a sarcastic sense of humor! During the game, there are 17 hidden Flying Pigs to collect, and when I say hidden, I mean hidden because some of them are difficult to spot, mostly because of the dark graphics.

This is mainly a HOG, with Multiples of the same item finds such as 21 keys or torn paper pieces, Listed item finds and even Fragments. As you progress, bits and pieces of the story unfolds via the Log book, but it's not essential to read it to progress. During the HO's if you can't find an item, you can click and drag the Hint Music Box around the scene, the faster the music's tempo, the closer you are to an object. If you use the music box hint AND click on the object, you'll have to wait for it to recharge, however, I found that if you find the object with the box, but click somewhere that doesn't have an object, the music box will return to it's slot, you can then click on the object, and because it technically wasn't used, there's no recharge period. Eventually you will find Oskar the cat, who also seems to have a sense of humor and when you hover the mouse over him, he becomes quite opinionated. Some objects that you find go into your inventory, which appears only when an item is needed, such as keys to unlock doors.

There are Mini Games as well, however I cannot comment on these because I wasn't able to progress far enough to encounter one. This is because I ran into a glitch of some sort, when I couldn't access the clock tower door. I tried deleting the game, restarting my computer, and even a wild random clicking frenzy to no avail. I finally deleted my profile, and I created a new profile choosing the easy mode this time, and of course I had to start all over, but this worked because the door began to sparkle and I was able to enter the clock tower door!

If you enjoy a simple Hidden Object game with a few mini games thrown in, and you don't mind trying to find items that can be difficult to see at times because they are either small or blend into the same colored graphics, this game fits the bill. I will admit that I preferred the challenge of some of these HO's over the junkpile unhidden items usually offered in the big named games. But in the long run, this game wasn't interesting enough for my personal tastes to buy it, but it may be your cup of tea.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Oct 10, 17 3:23 PM
Wow, this is a fun crazy game. The developers have an amazing imagination. Unlike some in the reviews, I am finding it good fun! Have enjoyed it all morning. I'll look forward to getting back to it!

I am almost finished and will be sorry it ends. The graphics are fabulous. Every Scene. The hint which is clever makes it even more fun to find the objects. This game is a real sleeper. I suggest you try it for sure.

This is the best most fun game we have had in awhile. No murders, no spooks or gross people, some disgusting! Please give us more of the fun games!!! For the developer I would give him 5 stars!

Edited on 10/15/2017 at 6:00:48 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 10, 17 3:30 PM

Now where did I put those 50 keys?

First off, if you are not a fan of hidden object (HO) scenes you probably ought to just pass on this game because the play is mostly just that. If you decide to try it out, my guess is you will either feel the game has a pleasingly innocent charm, or you'll decide it's hopelessly outdated and bland.

While the style of the game lends itself to the younger player, the vocabulary used contains words that only adults would understand (nothing inappropriate, mind you!). It does have a lead-you-by-the-hand style. There is not much exploring, and the "story" serves mainly to lead the player from one HO scene to the next - sort of like if the Park Ranger series was set in a factory. Besides that there are 17 flying pigs to find.

As I do enjoy HO scenes, I enjoyed playing the trial to the end, The HO scenes are moderately difficult, the objects to find are small, numerous and well hidden. It seemed that the last one was always hard to find.

Even though I enjoyed the entire trial, I am concerned the game could get monotonous if the rest of the play remains the same. Even if you are a die hard HO player there are only so many times you'll want to find 50 keys or 50 butterflies. (on the other hand finding all the flying pigs is something I'd look forward to! ).

For HO fans, this is one I'd use a free coupon on for a light hearted diversion from all those dark, depressing games.

EDIT: I completed the game and it did not get monotonous. The HO scenes actually get more challenging near the end of the game. Also, you'll need all the flying pigs to finish, but using the map you can go back to get any you may have missed.

Edited on 10/12/2017 at 6:46:25 AM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Oct 10, 17 4:25 PM
steve_san wrote:

That's kind of funny
Did you get a chance to read the game's Concept Code section?

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Oct 10, 17 5:01 PM
Really wanted to like this game but the bizarre hint apparatus ruined it for me. Trying to use the hint button was just a waste of time. It did a lot a spinning without actually showing you where an item was located. Couldn't get past the 2nd HOS screen because of this terrible, useless apparatus. So, I just quit in disgust & hope a game that I actually like & can play comes up for sale, but again I hold no great hope for this to happen anytime soon.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 10, 17 8:33 PM
pennmom36 wrote:
steve_san wrote:

That's kind of funny
Did you get a chance to read the game's Concept Code section?

No, I was having so much fun I ran out of time. What does it say?

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Oct 10, 17 11:20 PM
There's something about this game that harkens me back to the first 2 Ravenhearst offerings except without the super-puzzle element (sadly). I loved the scenes and the detail was fantastic. And while I normally begin rolling my eyes during a HOPA about too many HOS, that's pretty much all this game is plus a few mini-games that were fairly simple but appropriate to the task at hand. I didn't mind the HOS at all, they were pretty tough but like steve_san says, it can get fairly annoying to continue to find x number of y even though the scenery may be different.

I'm a bit on the fence with this one; I'll have to check my PCC list as I might want to play this one out.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 11, 17 5:01 AM
nontechiegrannie wrote:Really wanted to like this game but the bizarre hint apparatus ruined it for me. Trying to use the hint button was just a waste of time. It did a lot a spinning without actually showing you where an item was located. Couldn't get past the 2nd HOS screen because of this terrible, useless apparatus. So, I just quit in disgust & hope a game that I actually like & can play comes up for sale, but again I hold no great hope for this to happen anytime soon.

Forgot to mention this, but the hint apparatus spins faster and faster (and makes more noise) as you get closer to the item.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 11, 17 5:55 AM
I bought this game (with a PCC) and am enjoying it! If you're looking for a game that shows you what to do, where to go and gives you loads of help, I'd give this one a miss. But if you want an actual challenge, give it a try.

It's pretty old school, the way games used to be before they got too clever for their own good. The objects to find are very small and blended into the background, so you will need patience and good eyesight (or glasses) to find them. There are also some mini-games which I found quite difficult; building a machine that's unfamiliar with only a drawing to go by was very tricky but thankfully there is a skip button.

Contrary to what someone said, the hint button does show you where an item is located. It's unusual in that it doesn't point to an object; dancers inside a glass dome rotate when you get near an object, getting faster and faster until the dome glows red when you locate the item. It's charming but I would have preferred a more direct path to what I'm looking for.

Oskar the cat makes amusing observations when you move the cursor over him and there are flying pigs to look for amongst the various rooms you enter. The one annoyance was the log book, which constantly sparkles until you read the new entries....and there are a lot of them. Unfortunately, just clicking on the book doesn't stop the sparkling.

It seems to be quite a long game, which I will play every now and then for a bit of relief from the endless stream of 'same old' HOPA's. I like it

No technical issues with the game. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Oct 11, 17 5:10 PM

@steve_san

At first I thought it was just random procedural generation codes that they used to create the game. I started reading the words, which are very small and looked insignificant at first but they are actually saying random funny things about the cursor that disappeared to who know where, and how they found it, I thought that was the best part of the game, it's full of sarcasm .

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Oct 12, 17 1:02 PM
Played part of the demo, until I just couldn't take any more. This is such an old-fashioned game - in itself not a bad thing - but it is so boring. Too much reading; objects too tiny; too many helpful hints. Can't really see a storyline, or at least not much of one considering all of the verbage. Ten years ago I would have probably liked this, but now - sorry, no. And for older eyes this is just not happening. Sorry devs.

CelticCoco

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Oct 12, 17 3:44 PM
This game is great fun. I like the "old school" approach and am thoroughly enjoying the mix of HOGs and mini games. I'm having a good laugh, too, thanks to Oskar, the cat.

This is the biggest thumbs up I've given a game in a long while!

j62janet
Clownfish
Clownfish
638 Posts

[Post New]by j62janet on Oct 13, 17 12:04 AM
This game is certainly different, and usually I say no to them, but this time I didn't, the HOS are challenging at times, and the hint system different, it took me until yesterday to see it lights up when it gets to the object.
I like the game, but I doubt I'll buy another game, I only got it because I had a token, and I didn't want to lose it, like I have in the past
I do love the cat, and the things he says, adorable

The one thing I do like about this game is, if you leave a HOS and exit the game, unlike other games, you don't have to start again, you start off where you left, which is great

Edited on 10/14/2017 at 5:19:12 AM PST

Go to: