bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

Your comments and reviews for Dale Hardshovel and the Bloomstone Mystery

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on May 4, 10 9:11 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Dale Hardshovel and the Bloomstone Mystery? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and reviews in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

LadyReah
Herring
Herring
372 Posts

Re:Your comments and reviews for Dale Hardshovel and the Bloomstone Mystery

[Post New]by LadyReah on May 4, 10 4:13 PM
Played about 30 mins and finished 25 levels. I usually like this type of puzzle game and although this is not bad, it isn't one that I will be getting. After 25 levels I expected the puzzles to get considerably harder than they did, but they still seemed quite easy. I also don't care for each level being timed because when I play this type of game I like to be able to look at the level and plan out my moves. Very hard to do that when you are only given 30 seconds for some levels. I did not see an option to turn off the timer.

The game ran fine with the exception of the cursor being not very accurate. It's a big glove type hand cursor and more than once I had to restart a level because an item would be dropped in the wrong spot. Of course that could be user error.

The game would have been better if there had been more options and a bit more tweaking IMO.

LadyReah

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 4, 10 7:46 PM
Downloading now, and then saw your post and the keyword 'timed' flew out at me. Will uninstall, and not even bother with this one. Got to go hunting again...

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on May 4, 10 8:13 PM
Very cute little game. I'm usually more of a HOG/iHOG person, so this is a nice breath of something different. The graphics are cute/cartoony, but very clear. The music is awesome! I thought I was listening to a flute solo from the Moody Blues. The game itself is pretty easy. You get multiple retries if you don't succeed at first. Overall, a nice game. Thanks BF!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 5, 10 12:41 PM
Not really my cup of tea. I like normally puzzles games, but this is not a game for me. No buy

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on May 7, 10 3:32 PM
No buy for me - found the music and the game play annoying.

mysticmomma
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by mysticmomma on May 10, 10 2:03 AM
OMG Did anyone actially like this game?

I too am usually a HOG person but this is a pleasant little distraction from my usually fare.

I found it highly adicting and while some levels were easy some were quite hard. Usually it was a single tricky spot I got stuck on. Didnt find the clock to be invasive at all. Didnt feel rushed and took my time to figure out my strategy,

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on May 15, 10 10:59 AM
This game is similar to Professor Fizzwizzle games which I really enjoy. As I already own a couple of these and since I don't find this game better than PF, it's a no buy for me. Also, I don't like the timer either.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 28, 10 3:51 PM
I love puzzles so this was a very enjoyable game for me. It is very similar to Professor Fizzwizzle but not quite as difficult. The puzzles start out simple and uncomplicated and progressively get more difficult. New puzzle mechanical elements are added from time to time to make the puzzles more interesting and fun. I kept being pulled along through the game by my desire to finish just one more puzzle.

I found Dale Hardshovel’s comments a little annoying and they broke my concentration so I kept my speakers turned off. I like the cartoon atmosphere and the variety of the different whimsical artifacts that you have to connect. I was glad that the puzzle screens and the items in the puzzles were big and not difficult to see.

I did not like the bonus level where Dale's daughter runs through a maze while trying to avoiding mummies and collecting keys. It moved too fast for my old reflexes so Dale’s poor daughter was swamped by the dust old mummies without fail. I think the keys would have provided extra hints but luckily for me I only used one hint during the game.

For the most part the puzzles were interesting and varied enough that I was not bored and they were not so difficult that I was frustrated. A couple of levels at the very end were challenging and took quite a lot of head scratching.

It was unfortunate that on the last level of puzzles when you really need to use a hint, they are not available for those levels. If you have 20 or so hints why not be given the help when you ask for it. I disagree with developers that seem to enjoy throwing in really difficult puzzles or levels at the end of a game and then offering no way to get help with them. This is the main reason I would give this game 4 stars instead of 5 stars.

I took videos of the more difficult puzzles as I solved them and I am in the process of posting them on youtube.

Edited on 05/28/2010 at 3:58:31 PM PST

valerie68
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by valerie68 on Jun 9, 10 9:16 PM
Seriously addictive and absorbing. Not my usual type of game; prefer HOG but got into this BUT Cannot get past Game97. Any clues peeps?How to drop down objects onto magnet button? When you've got one of the bones on the magnet what next?
Baffled Fishy.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Jun 13, 10 6:38 PM
I only got to play about 5 minutes of the demo for this game because I got stuck on the second puzzle. That wouldn't have been so bad if you could have skipped it and continued on, but you couldn't so I was stuck. I suppose I could have looked for a walkthrough and come back to play some more; but to be honest, nothing about the game shouted, "I'm worth the effort!" So I deleted it without further thought.

Go to: