Daxadillion
Salmon
Salmon
2,914 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Halloween Stories: Invitation Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 12, 17 12:43 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 10/12/2017 at 9:32:07 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,304 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Halloween Stories: Invitation Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 12, 17 2:54 AM
This being a new "Halloween Stories" series, does that mean we get only one "Halloween Stories" game a year, like we get only one "Christmas Stories" game a year?

I am not sure about this game. It just doesn't throw me off my chair with excitement, although it does have a few nice moments. I am also not happy about the graphics on the whole. I much prefer the graphics used by ERS and even Eipix.

Regarding the collectables: really can't get excited about them either. Don't much care for morphing objects anymore, and finding fragmented pieces of something or other doesn't fill me with a thrill either. The statues are all right, though, but I do prefer collectables that can be used: furnish a room, buy stuff for a room or a characters, things like that.

I am also disappointed with the Custom mode choices. Other devs give us a choice to either use the full tutorial, or a partial one with only the special parts, or none at all. With Elephant Games we only get either the full tutorial or none. I don't want to be shown everything, but do like to know about anything out of the ordinary.

Warning: you will come across spiders, if only for a moment.

pennmom36
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Halloween Stories: Invitation Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Oct 12, 17 4:35 AM
@Valdy

When I began playing this game, it gave me the option of using the full tutorial, none or special features, once I ran to the room to hide? Is that what you were referring to?

yvonnehoho
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by yvonnehoho on Oct 12, 17 5:00 AM
@Valdy: perhaps the time has come to start knitting

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,304 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 12, 17 5:27 AM
LOL yvonnehoho...

Pennmom, in Custom mode I unticked the Tutorial, and it didn't come up again after that. So I didn't get that option. Maybe if I had not unticked the tutorial it would have asked me again which one I wanted, but usually I get that option right in the Option section.

quynne77
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by quynne77 on Oct 12, 17 5:40 AM
I also got the choice to have a full tutorial or only the special features but that was when I started the game so maybe if you choose the option of no tutorial from the options (I usually only use it to turn down the volume at that point) you will not get that option in the game.

I am liking this game a lot more than I have liked others lately and not only because some of the features have different ways of getting the required results but I like the spookiness factor too which means that for me those not "perfectly clear" graphics are more suited here too!

I will buy this game I just have to finish and delete a couple first as I am running out of room!

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Oct 12, 17 6:32 AM
I liked this game. will buy when a sale comes up. spooky good fun.

[Post New]by coffeemom2 on Oct 12, 17 6:42 AM
I've only played about fifteen minutes, but how much fun is this game??!! So amusing trying to hide in the parlor, and those creepy pumpkins are a hoot. The HOGs so far are not necessarily anything different, but are well done and creative. This will be an instant purchase for me and I am looking forward to playing the rest of the game.

Frankly, I'm happy to have the chance to spend a few of my GCC's which have been building up. Over the past year or more, I've found very few games I felt were worth spending them on. I always buy the Christmas Story games and I hope the Halloween series will continue as well. Thank you to the developers for bringing this one to us.

anitra3
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by anitra3 on Oct 12, 17 6:52 AM
this game sounds right ''up my ally''
others will do a much better review than me so i will leave that TO THE OTHERS
the only complaint i have to ANY of you super reviewers out there: please please please leave 'the finding out of the story' to the gamers and do not give it away in the review!
have a super Halloween ('we' from across the 'pond' are only just getting used
to celebrating Halloween in the last couple of years) and happy gaming

pennmom36
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Oct 12, 17 6:52 AM
Haunted Hotel move over! This is the big leagues baby, and this will be an evening Jane and Joe will never forget, unless they die of course. Halloween costume, check. Huge pumpkin head mask, check. An extra pair of clean underwear, prolly not, but this looks like the most awesome Halloween costume party ever! That's because it's real, these guys are the real McCoy's, and these two orphans are in for an unforgettable evening, as they try desperately to find each other first, and then a way out, before the Beyonders do terrible beyonder things to them!

This is my favorite kind of game, filled with creepy Ninja dolls that climb the walls, evil sadistic looking clowns (I couldn't stop making the clown do his creepy eye laughing thing, I spent more time interacting with the weirdness than playing the game) Just when I thought this game was going to be the first game to push the limits of the horror genre games here at big fish, they backed off and added some pretty comical features. I'm pretty sure they weren't doing this intentionally, but for once I want to play a game that doesn't hold back, and I'm bettin' a game like that would skyrocket sales. I know a lot of people don't like dark games with things that go bump in the night, and I'm okay with glittery games filled with unicorns occasionally, but there's way more horror genre fans than not, otherwise there wouldn't be so many games like this offered. I say, make me show proof of age (cause I can double it!) and make me tremble with fear!

In this Collector's Edition version, there are Morphing Beyonders Objects to find in each scene, Album Picture Fragments to collect and assemble 4 eight piece puzzles, and 12 Rare Halloween themed Dolls to find. I'm glad I don't have to hang on to them for real, everyone knows creepy dolls are always possessed just like Annabel!

Right at the get go, Joe suspiciously disappears, and come to find out, he's been taken hostage. Surely it will be difficult to find Joe in this huge mansion filled with things that go bump in the night, right? Oh look, here's your sign..Hostage This Way, written in blood...red paint. That was easier than I thought it was going to be! So once I find a map leading to THE very room I need to find, I decide to investigate my surroundings, while trying my best to be stealth like so as not to alert the Beyonders.

First things first, fix the broken wire to the lights so I can see, I'm sure a light won't alert the bad guys to use as a beacon to find me. (why are wires always on the outside of the wall, and always frayed in half just shy of the switch?) By this point, I've already removed the famous broken skeleton key from the door lock, found away to open the ole "trap door hidden under a rug with a missing handle, used a coin as a screwdriver, solved a mini game to open a ridiculously complicated purse lock, used a rag as a tourniquet to compress solid iron pipes, found and used a razor blade to find a hidden treasure inside a sewn up patch, and of course found and replaced every emblem ever made since the beginning of time, to open up every trinket box and hidden caches I've come across, and this is just the third room!

Moving on to the hostage situation, I enter an underground maze of complicated tunnels, most of which lead to a dead end. At one point did this lead somewhere? Did they scrap this passage mid-way during construction? It's a good thing I have a map to follow, don't all mansions come stock with a map? Did I mention there's a horseshoe shaped magnet just out of reach that I simply must have, because I need it to remove an important object inside a Spider cage? Did I mention the bars on the cage are so wide I could stick my hand through them, if it weren't being guarded by an attack steroid ridden spider? He's still just a spider, I'm pretty sure he can slip through the bars with no problem!

By now I've had several close encounters with a ghost who seems to just float back and forth, with seemingly no rhyme or reason, surely it's a trick? Finally I reach the bedroom where Joe is being held hostage, bummer, the door is locked with a keypad. It's a good thing the code is written on the glass next to the lock. (the keyword is glass, Joe could have easily busted the glass and escaped) In all fairness Joe's hand are bound with magic rope? It's okay though, he knows they hid the special Magic Knife in the same room he's in, he just doesn't know where??

In order to find this knife, I need to look for some anti-rust remover, this stuff impresses me more than a Magic rope does hands down. But wait, first I need to find a drawer pull because its missing one, and simply placing a new drawer pull on the opening always seems to do the trick! While I'm searching for a way to free Joe, I may as well place these fragments on the picture and do a little Hidden Object searching. Man, this picture suddenly does seem larger up close, it's so big I have to look at it in 5 different sections as I practically do a 360 degree panoramic viewing!

I'm totally exhausted at this point, this is a big house after all. On a serious note, although it sounds as if I was unimpressed with this game from my review, I'm not. Quite the opposite, I just like to look at unrealistic things with a sense of humor. I loved the creep factor, and even though all of the tasks are predictable and obvious, I still had a blast playing it, in fact I've already bought it!

This Collector's Edition mostly has a bunch of creepy dolls and clowns speaking Latin, Spiders and cobwebs, shadows and objects that come to life and some even jump out at you. It also has 8 Concept Art pictures, 8 Wallpapers, 4 Music Soundtracks,7 Achievements to earn, a Secret Room, Collectible Fragments to assemble 4 Album pictures with 8 pieces each, 12 Collectible Halloween themed Doll Figurines, and Morphing Objects, enjoy the escape!

MaryEl
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by MaryEl on Oct 12, 17 7:30 AM
Looks like an interesting game. Just had trouble with the first "slider" puzzle as moving the slides was rather awkward. Did not move very smoothly. Gave up and skipped the puzzle which I usually do not like to do. Will wait to see what other reviewers are saying and if there are any more problems with the game. Hopefully the rest of the game will work just fine.

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Oct 12, 17 7:31 AM
I love this game! So much that I bought it before the demo was over!

anitra3
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by anitra3 on Oct 12, 17 8:32 AM
MaryEl wrote:Looks like an interesting game. Just had trouble with the first "slider" puzzle as moving the slides was rather awkward. Did not move very smoothly. Gave up and skipped the puzzle which I usually do not like to do. Will wait to see what other reviewers are saying and if there are any more problems with the game.
Hopefully the rest of the game will work just fine.

You are absolutely right MaryEl the slider puzzle does work akwardly
allthough a tip to any other gamers who might also encounter this: you dont have
to use all the sliders!!(i stuck to it and found i was ready with only a few 'tiles'!)

bfgIlinalta
3,191 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIlinalta on Oct 12, 17 9:31 AM
Howdy Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Halloween Stories: Invitation Collector's Edition here. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Halloween Stories: Invitation Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgIlinalta

MaryLent
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by MaryLent on Oct 12, 17 12:24 PM
MaryEl wrote:Looks like an interesting game. Just had trouble with the first "slider" puzzle as moving the slides was rather awkward. Did not move very smoothly. Gave up and skipped the puzzle which I usually do not like to do. Will wait to see what other reviewers are saying and if there are any more problems with the game. Hopefully the rest of the game will work just fine.

Having trouble with those as well

Edited on 10/12/2017 at 12:25:59 PM PST

tophen
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by tophen on Oct 12, 17 1:08 PM
where is s guide?could not find it

tophen
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

tophen
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 12, 17 2:16 PM
Hello friends! As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story line to others, but I will comment on the story later in my review. Graphics are very well done, even with an occasional blur when going in and out of close up areas. Game play was excellent, with no problems during the demo and it fit my large screen quite nicely. Animation is nice, even though we again have people whose legs don't actually move, but other animation is quite well done. Colors are bright and true for a change. I figured they would be dark and gloomy, but they are not. Voices are well done, and the voices of the "bad guys" are quite creepy. Sound fx are appropriate for the setting and again, we have creepy and edge of your seat when the music is added to it. Be aware, things do jump out at you often and we have clowns, so if you don't care for any of this, don't get this game. Remember, it is a Halloween game and things are supposed to be creepy.

HOPs are well done and varied, with fragments, highlighted words, and lists. Scenes are pretty clear and items are not difficult to find. I didn't see where you could switch to anything else. I found the puzzles to be somewhat challenging, to the point where I actually had to "skip" one. These are very well done. Hint system is very helpful and we do have the transport feature. This is a good thing, since we do a lot of back tracking in this game. Yes, we have a jump map as well, but it is very bland and boring. If you have the transport, you don't need the map.

Collectibles are exceptionally well done. We have to find 12 various skeletons, not difficult to find; 15 morphing objects, challenging as they morph quickly and are easy to miss...plus, you can't pick them up until they do morph; we also have 24 puzzle pieces to complete 3 jigsaw puzzles, which are large enough to see, but easy to overlook. Really like the collectibles in this one.

I was drawn into this game from the very beginning. The story is a little different, interesting and fun. It seemed like the demo was quite short, but I actually spent 40 minutes on it. This only happens when a game is so good that the time flies by quickly. The game flows very well and is easy to follow. I think most all levels of players will like this one. I do not give 5 stars easily, a game must be exceptional throughout for that score, but I did give it a 4.75. The downgrade was because of the occasional blur, but even at that, I am most definitely adding it to my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

pennmom36
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Oct 12, 17 2:31 PM

@tophen

It is on the bottom left I believe, but it just looks like a pencil on a piece of paper, it doesn't say anything.

Go to: