amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

not a collector's edition

[Post New]by amj0963 on May 5, 10 12:17 AM
i am a bit disappointed as this has been on other portals for about a week now and it is a ce on those sites, i was hoping when big fish got it that it would also be a ce because there is a hansel and gretel adventure when you finish the game.

has anyone else seen the ce version on these other sites as well as the developers site?

i may just have to go somewhere else and buy that version as i was holding out because i figured if everyone else had the ce that big fish would also have it

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

Re:not a collector's edition

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on May 5, 10 12:28 AM
The collector's edition was nothing to write home about.You got a strategy guide but you won't need it.I'm not much for those because you can find help all over the internet for free.This game is really not bad.I was just irritated that,at the time Big Fish didn't have it.I hate to go elsewhere for my demos and full games.Here,it's only 6.99 and from the publisher it's 19.99.Not worth it.I say,"Demo time!"

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 5, 10 12:45 AM
I did the same thing with Virtual Villagers Tree of Life. I wanted it from BFand on my gmgr and list of games. 3 punches isn' so bad either. Never bought a CE before but this would be it. Then BF decided it wasn't extra gameplay so only issued the reg version. So bought Lord of Mirrors CE instead to treat myself. Oh well, got VV4 free today with my punch code from April. That'll show 'em Best I waited til free walkthroughs are up on 2 places now, probably won't have to buy the SG which I wanted, this game looks like a hum-dinger needing some guidance to lift off.

Ironic, we complain about CEs arriving on the market choices, then complain BF doesn't offer some LOL.

Sorry you didn't get what you wanted where you wanted it either. You want extra play, I want integrated guide nobody else wants. But I gotta say for waiting over a month my price was right. Nothing. So I'm happy.

ToonaCat
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by ToonaCat on May 5, 10 1:47 AM
Hi There, I played the CE version of this game, and the Hansel and Gretal bonus is pretty short. It's fun, but I don't really think it's worth the extra$.

Just my 2 cents! The game itself is pretty fun. It does have lots of back and forth adventuring, but at least there is a map in it that shows you where you need to go to find active items and puzzles.

Art really good, premise great. HOG pretty clear, Puzzles medium. played it in about 4 hours.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on May 5, 10 2:00 AM
At the rate that CE's have been on a steady decline on what they have to offer I am glad to see it's not offered as a CE! Way to go ! ! They got it right the first time as far as I'm concerned. I liked the MCF: Dire Grove CE and then it seemed that after that the CE's have all gone down hill. I mean that in the nicest possible way too.
On a side note; I had the opportunity to beta this game from another site so it's fun to see it out here! I look forward to trying it again...as a regular game not a CE! YAY!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 5, 10 2:57 AM
Since the Hansel & Gretel extra play is so short, I wonder if that is just a teaser or prequel to their next Fiction Fixer game. Then the reg version would be longer.

re strategy guides and walkthroughs, I'm finding that some of my newer games won't play in windows, even alt tab screws things up. May be a W7 issue on my new laptop, widescreen. But the game doesn't go wide, only one so far had that option. So you have to exit the game, go look at WT or ask for help, then return. I think the integrated SGs are worth a bit extra. I'm enjoying Lord of Mirrors soooo much, didn't really expect to like it if too much wandering to get lost. Actually it is an easier game (for me) than some I haven't finished and haven't had to use it much. But nice right at your fingertips.If I have to use one separate not worth it when WTs are free.

ETA I guess I DID finish Lord of Mirrors CE, just didn't go on to click on another door which I guess is the extra play. Got so into Deadtime I forgot to go back and explore what that is. But even that game alone is worth $20 IMO, if you love beautiful HOGs and appreciate the art, lighting. It's just great to be able to buy more games when they are only $6.99 (or a freebie)

Edited on 05/05/2010 at 3:03:35 AM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on May 5, 10 3:31 AM
I played the CE as well because the site I played it on allowed you to use the fun pass for it. The Hansel and Gretel part was a short version of the story and then after that you got to play a small mission on your own without your fiction fixer partner. And to me it was longer than 4 hours. Four hours MAYBE if you searched a lot with the hint button and missed some of the mini games. She did mention the Illiterati is on hold for now and it did sound as if they were going to put another one out. I hope so because I really enjoyed this one. It was an awesome game. But the one part that got to me was that if I heard that Queen say "Off with your head" one more time I felt like taking hers off just to shut her up, darn!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on May 5, 10 3:45 AM
Capthowdy64 wrote:The collector's edition was nothing to write home about.You got a strategy guide but you won't need it.I'm not much for those because you can find help all over the internet for free.This game is really not bad.I was just irritated that,at the time Big Fish didn't have it.I hate to go elsewhere for my demos and full games.Here,it's only 6.99 and from the publisher it's 19.99.Not worth it.I say,"Demo time!"

the one on the publishers site was the ce and would of been the same price if the ce was here 19.99

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 5, 10 4:01 AM
I am happy, that the game is not a CE, because I have already bought Royal Envoy & Ranch Rush 2 last month as a CE and I am not interested in the strategyguide and the other extra content.

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on May 5, 10 4:11 AM
Thanks for the comments on the CE extras.
So far I have only palyed CE's when the come as trial. I have never felt compelled to actually purchase one, especially since it also seems to me the extra goodies lately are basically SGs and some music. I might give myself a treat and buy one if it offered something else, but with so many cool games out there -and such a tight budget ) I already have big trouble deciding where to spend my credits.

morticia6
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,044 Posts

[Post New]by morticia6 on May 5, 10 7:51 AM
i bought the ce and the comments are right. the hansel and gretel extra game while nice, is very short. also with the ce you get the achievements to go for and there are playing cards scattered all around to collect. not sure what happens if you get all 52 as i only got 51. then, of course, you have the strategy guide, screensavers and wallpapers. all in all i think it's a great game and i had a lot of fun playing it. it stays pretty true to the story of alice in wonderland which i liked.

ADTech
Herring
Herring
374 Posts

[Post New]by ADTech on May 5, 10 10:15 AM
I am glad that BF version is not a CE as I think it would just be a waste of money. I like it just the way it is.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on May 5, 10 11:58 AM
I agree!

Happy Gaming

PEN

LoriW
Clownfish
Clownfish
769 Posts

[Post New]by LoriW on May 6, 10 5:38 PM
It seems with the CE you get a strategy guide, collect cards to unlock wallpapers and there is a Hansel and Gretel bonus game. However, I have seen complaints on the length of time of the bonus game with at least 1 person stating they completed it in about 5 mins.

[Post New]by InsanityGoodness on Jun 1, 10 3:34 PM
I have to say I got the "Collector's Edition" version and I found that the strategy guide included with the game was not very helpful at all. I had to search for a walkthrough to help with the one puzzle I got stuck on. Overall, I would say go with Big Fish's $7 version because you aren't missing anything that's worth the extra $12.

Goop_10
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by Goop_10 on Jul 15, 10 8:19 PM
I also got the collector's edition from the other website, because i want to play the bonus mode "Hansel and Gratel"

dogden2
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by dogden2 on Jun 24, 14 6:47 PM
i have the ce version and it if you want to collect the cards then i would buy the ce, the standard doesn't, it is up to you and my guide is find the only time i went to a walkthrought is the golf course.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Jul 23, 14 6:37 AM
The version does have a strategy guide included, but you have to go to the menu to get to it.

Go to: