cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Fiction Fixers: Alice in Wonderland comments and reviews

[Post New]by cche on May 5, 10 2:46 AM
Played 30 minutes, completing 5 tasks. Based on story and game structure, I estimate 3 hours of play. It's an iHOG with easy puzzles and quite a lot of guidance built in. You do need to travel back and forth among locations, and the map is useful in letting you know where there are things you need to deal with, but you still need to click through successive locations to get to them. I like it better when I can travel directly to my destination by clicking on the map.

Graphics are decent, hidden object scenes are a moderate challenge though I have needed no hints.

Music is appropriate, and failed to irritate. That is good.

Story seems aimed at the 6 to 10 age range. I personally find this use of the classic jarring. Would have fit better with a Seuss story.

All in all, not a bad product; a bit "young" for me. 4.5 on my personal scale of 10. I'd probably pay $2.99 for it.

Edited on 05/05/2010 at 9:18:04 AM PST

Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

Re:Fiction Fixers: Alice in Wonderland comments and reviews

[Post New]by Mistickel on May 5, 10 3:51 AM
Im feeling split about this one. It's almost top notch, it has alot of good aspects and some not. The lead in story is great animation, cartoon movie quality. The artwork on the scenes is great, but the graphics on the hidden object areas is terrible. I enjoyed the artwork in the different areas and on the tasks, but hated that the hidden objects were so very fuzzy and hard to make out what the objects were. At least they werent tiny. Im puzzled why the artwork was so good in most places and so lousy in the **** scenes.

More good things are.. there is no timer, no penalties for mis-clicks, can advance or skip story, the inventory items are used logically and not frustrating or too difficult to figure out. The music was ok, not annoying, however I found the voices and the dialogue of the two main characters to be VERY annoying. Too much dialogue and help than I care for. Strange, but I would have liked this one better if they plopped me down the rabbit hole and let me go at it on my own.

It has a good map that shows where you are and areas that still need to be completed, but it would have been much better if you could click on the area and be taken there instead of having to back track so far. Some are several scenes back, if you dont like that, this isnt for you.

The hint button only gives hints for the hidden objects, not if you're stuck as to what to do next and takes about a full minute to load. It felt just a little bit too long for me as I usually only need it for the last two objects I cant find or in this case because the graphics were so bad.

So far the minis are the same old ones, but with nicer artwork. There's no walk through yet, so cant check the length, but if what's behind the other doors is as long as what was behind the first one, this will be quite a lengthy game. Im thinking in the 6-8 hr. range.

It's good enough that Im going to buy it even though there are some parts of it Im not thrilled about. I rate it 7 of 10.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on May 5, 10 5:31 AM
I bought this game from the developers & I paid $$ , It does have the extra chapter enclosed with it ,,,When I bought this it was in CE category , which I felt cheated to be honest , the price that they have for here is much more appropriate ,, I thought it was rather short ,,but that's me ..I finished it in a couple of hrs,.I do agree , that the characters are a bit on the annoying side ,I think if I had payed 6.99 ,they wouldn't have annoyed me as much ,,I normally don't listen to the sound ..so that's not a issue for me ,If I remember correctly the extra chapter , was only about 1/2 hr ,This is all fact & not fiction from my point of view , At the time it was a good game but that was 3 weeks ago , & a lot can happen in the game world in 3 weeks (deadtime) , so that's how I have to compare this game ,,You be the judge ,, Cheers

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 5, 10 6:03 AM
The game demo hour really flew by. Seems to be a good game - definitely worth demo-ing in my opinion.

Hints are great for hidden object scenes, but otherwise they just tell you to look in the journal. So it seems possible to get stuck, although I was able to figure out myself how to move on when I got sorta stuck during the demo.

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on May 5, 10 7:05 AM
I thought I was pretty well entertained for my hour! I got to the part where Alice is in Rabbit's house. I found the adventure part to be easy to follow along with but I'm not sure about the rest of the game it could get complicated. So far it was fun! I loved the comments when I chose the wrong things to use to figure out how to proceed. The indignation of the Alice character was a hoot! The graphics were just great! The HOG scenes were tricky.
Just a tip on those...move your monitor screen back and forth slightly when you can't see something clearly. You might find it will clear up for you and lighten just a little. For example: When I move my monitor screen back slightly it becomes clearer and a touch darker. When I move it forward it gets lighter. I found this out a few years back when playing the HOG games.
I would say this game is a buy for entertainment value and good clean fun!
Nana

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on May 5, 10 8:24 AM
This is an absolutely great game in so many ways.

First, the graphics are very well done, and exceptionally beautiful. And, for those who know and love the original Alice in Wonderland, this version is the most faithful to that story of any I've seen in games.

I'm almost finished with the game, having already gotten it elsewhere before it showed up here. And I've found so much to enjoy.

Finding all those cards is almost like a bonus. And I liked the adventure-style challenge of having to remember where I'd seen something earlier (just like exploring in real life!). Good brain food, coming across something you need and then having to stop and think--oh yes, I saw that through this other door, down that path and ...etc.

If you know a youngster who hasn't had the pleasure of the original Alice, this would be a great introduction. The literary aspects of the game plus the artistic aspects combine to make this an A+++ game.

Then add in fun play, brain challenges, fun mini games (that you can skip--as my hands are hurting I finally gave up --this time---on the croquet), and beautifully-drawn hidden object scenes with items that are at just the right challenge level (not impossible, not too easy), and it's a clear winner.

I estimate that I've used, at most, one hint per HOG scene, and mostly from impatience. I've only skipped a couple of mini games.

There's also a good sense of play and good humor in the game. The "bad guy" I hope is someone that is a precusor to more games like this.

Now I must get back to finding treacle tarts.

tehi
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by tehi on May 5, 10 8:30 AM
Hi everyone and thanks Nana I discovered this trick of moving my monitor only after playing on my daughters laptop. I did great with her computer but my desktop was terrible at some of the HOG'S. Finally have my own lap top and I love it. Especially in a game like this or deadtime stories. I have to comment that the screens are great, not fuzzy or grainy, but the objects are VERY cleverly hidden I have not finished the demo and am in the rabbits house. I had to use one hint in one hidden object scene and only because I was looking for a scythe with a curve. I didn't know they made straight ones I'm going to buy using my presious credit and am sure will enjoy. Seems like many hours of play. I love when the game doesn't hold your hand and you can fumble around knowing that if you DO need help it's there

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on May 5, 10 8:46 AM
I'm really enjoying the demo. I love the adventurey style of game play so that is good for me. Finding it easy so far, I've not used any hints or skips, but you still have to think which is VERY good also.

Without re-reading the book it seems to me that some of the dialogue is exactly as Lewis Carroll wrote - or at least as near as dammit! That is such a pleasure - takes me back to my youth - a long time ago now! Do youngsters still read Alice I wonder?

Anyway, I would like to thank BF for some marvellous games recently, Deadtime, Life Quest - I'm more than satisfied.

bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTigris on May 5, 10 9:17 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm gonna go ahead and sticky this for the Comment and Reviews thread.

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy Posting!

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on May 5, 10 10:05 AM
I am truly happy that Felix has decided to allow us to purchase this game at BFG. I beta tested this and have played the demo and simply love it. It has beautiful graphics, wonderful music, and a storyline most of us are familiar with. It gives you the chance to keep your brain cells awake and active while immersing yourself in a classic tale of a fictional adventure. There is no timer or penalties for mis-clicks. You can move back and forth between locations to clear your brain if you need to. (Sometimes a fresh look at things makes it easier to find a solution.) You do need to move through various locations to gather items to solve problems. This is a perfect game for an entire family; since it is based on a lovely children's story. I like the fact that the title gives hope of many sequels; since there are so many classic fictional stories that could need to be "fixed".

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on May 5, 10 10:31 AM
What a cute little game! I didn't "stretch" it to fit my screen, so I had the black border, but it didn't bother me in the least. IMO, a very well developed game. Good graphics and mix of adventure and hidden object (thank goodness, not a FROG). Well worth the $6.99 price!

tinkz2007
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by tinkz2007 on May 5, 10 10:59 AM
Ive just played the hour demo of this game, and got through to the 4th door. I really enjoyed playing this game, I thought the graphics were lovely and it really followed the story of Alice in Wonderland.
As in some of the other comments made, it would have been a lot easier if you could just click on the location on the map, however, this wasnt too much of a problem.
I think I will use my credit to purchase this game.
My 5 year old thought this game was very pretty, and was happy to help find the hidden objects - so a big thumbs up from him.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on May 5, 10 12:01 PM
Mistickel wrote:Im feeling split about this one. It's almost top notch, it has alot of good aspects and some not. The lead in story is great animation, cartoon movie quality. The artwork on the scenes is great, but the graphics on the hidden object areas is terrible. I enjoyed the artwork in the different areas and on the tasks, but hated that the hidden objects were so very fuzzy and hard to make out what the objects were. At least they werent tiny. Im puzzled why the artwork was so good in most places and so lousy in the **** scenes.

It's good enough that Im going to buy it even though there are some parts of it Im not thrilled about. I rate it 7 of 10.

I agree. The things about this game that I'm not thrilled about are 1) Most of the objects are appropriately challenging to find. However, you get to the last 1 or 2 items and they're almost off the page. I've had to use a hint to find these items. Without the hint, I would still be looking -- The other thing that I'm not thrilled about is some of the mini-games. While they are not difficult, I could do without sliding pieces to fix the picture.

Good storyline if you like the Alice and Wonderland. I do and enjoyed following the story. I had my sound on -- a rare occasion -- and it enhanced the story. out of 5 -- good graphics, story nicely done, challenging hidden objectives (though at times difficult to find). --

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on May 5, 10 12:16 PM
Pepper, what did you mean by this?: " Finding all those cards is almost like a bonus"...what cards? Am I missing something?

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 5, 10 12:29 PM
What a nice surprise to see this game released today at Bigfish! I have betatested this game and loved it. Very cute Alice, nice story. Very good ihog! I will buy it!

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on May 5, 10 12:41 PM
nykelli1843 wrote:Pepper, what did you mean by this?: " Finding all those cards is almost like a bonus"...what cards? Am I missing something?

Yes. Throughout the game, the 52 cards are scattered around. Find them and you get a bonus.

Good Luck!

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on May 5, 10 12:43 PM
Spot on OldBay,

If I had demoed this pre "Deadtime", I would have absolutely loved it, but
"Deadtime" is a hard act to follow. Stopped the demo with about 15
minutes of play left and took a break to think about it. Result, I REALLY
want to play, so using up my punchcard credit I was trying to save.

Maybe it is a little childish, but sometimes I just feel like letting my
inner child take over. Off to the rabbit hole it is.

And thanks pepper010 for your great review.

SueDee67
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by SueDee67 on May 5, 10 12:45 PM
I liked this game, and bought it. It entertained me, which is what it is meant to do.
Cute, and clever in places as well.

I'd say 4 out of 5

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 5, 10 1:43 PM
Sante001 wrote:
nykelli1843 wrote:Pepper, what did you mean by this?: " Finding all those cards is almost like a bonus"...what cards? Am I missing something?

Yes. Throughout the game, the 52 cards are scattered around. Find them and you get a bonus.

Good Luck!

I think thats a misunderstanding. You can`t collect the cards in the standard version. Thats part of the preminum version, which isn`t avaiable at Bigfish (Hensel & Gretel game).

msmithnc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
439 Posts

[Post New]by msmithnc on May 5, 10 2:11 PM
I'm enjoying the demo. I agree with the comments that the mini-games are pretty easy and the Hidden Object scenes not as good as some games. The dialog of the characters does seem to be pretty close to the original. Has anyone read the wonderful "Thursday Next" books by Jasper Fforde? I wondered if the game writers were inspired by the Literary Detectives in this imaginitive alternate history series...

Edited on 05/05/2010 at 2:12:30 PM PST

Go to: