Shawkn
Clownfish
Clownfish
754 Posts

PacNW Power Outage

[Post New]by Shawkn on Oct 18, 17 4:05 PM
Hi, Everyone:

This is kind of a public service message for all of you who live or have friends in the Pacific Northwest...

WA State is getting hit with a powerful rain and windstorm for the next two days. It's referred to as an "atmospheric river" and yes, I am a weather geek . Gusts may go as high as 50+ with the strongest winds expected from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM tonight. Storm may stall over my particular region (Puget Sound) for up to 36 hours.

I am taking a moment to let the MC family know that if they have friends, family, etc. in the Pacific Northwest, (WA, OR, etc.) they may have their power go out. Safety first of course, but also a reminder that they may have no access to the game.

I am trying to beat the clock. I gave out 5 gifts when I got home from work and can't give again for a little over an hour. I may have no power by then since I have already had a brief power outage and expect a longer lasting one will happen.

Nathan and I are fine. Anything that can fly around in a windstorm has been taken down and stored, curtain/blinds drawn in case something hits and breaks a window, got gas for the generator, etc. This is a common occurrence up here.

Anyway, just thought I should put out the word and have fun at the castle even if I can't.

Kate / Sayadina

AuntieRoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,393 Posts

Re:PacNW Power Outage

[Post New]by AuntieRoo on Oct 18, 17 4:30 PM
Just batten down the hatches & be safe.

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Oct 18, 17 4:53 PM
Yep, been through them before. I was there for the inaugural day wind storm in 1993. Lots of trees down. Lots of property damage. And then some. Was in a wheel chair at the time after having knee surgery and was stuck at work with the power out.

I only have two words...

BE SAFE !!!!

What many don't realize is that a powerful windstorm (even at only 60 mph) in the Pacific Northwest can be just as bad or worse than a hurricane as far as damage and loss of life.

Check back in as soon as you can.

Edited on 10/18/2017 at 4:53:47 PM PST

[Post New]by Elsaemerald on Oct 18, 17 5:06 PM
Stay safe!

We had the worst of our wind storm yesterday with gusts up to 100k in some areas. Two train derailments are thought to have been caused by the extreme winds. Extreme spreading grass fires as well. There is more to come but I hope the worst is over.

Hang tight!!

Kimberly_63
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by Kimberly_63 on Oct 18, 17 5:13 PM
Take care everyone in the PacNW. Geez this weather is crazy and out of control. We don't mess with Mother Nature!

Stay warm, safe and dry!

kkreisman
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by kkreisman on Oct 18, 17 6:37 PM
Kate, I grew up in Fife and spent the 1st 10 years of my marriage in Browns Point, so am aware of those storms. Be safe and warm, my friend.

Dry at last,
katiek

mamarose1900
Flounder
Flounder
2,190 Posts

[Post New]by mamarose1900 on Oct 19, 17 7:25 AM
Hmmm...thanks for the warning. It's interesting that no one at rehearsal last night seemed worried, though. I'm a PNW newbie, so we'll see what happens here. Currently, it's not raining and not windy where I am.

Have fun stormin' the castle.

Shawkn
Clownfish
Clownfish
754 Posts

[Post New]by Shawkn on Oct 20, 17 12:08 AM
mamarose1900 wrote:Hmmm...thanks for the warning. It's interesting that no one at rehearsal last night seemed worried, though. I'm a PNW newbie, so we'll see what happens here. Currently, it's not raining and not windy where I am.

Have fun stormin' the castle.

We're used to it, I guess. Mainly just wanted folks to know that fellow players may have a power outage and to check in on them after the storm,

We had pretty high winds on the Kitsap Peninsula but power stayed on where I live. It was hit or miss with co-workers - some didn't get power back on until this afternoon. Problem was the rain stalled here for over 24 hours and it's just now stopping. Soggy ground. Luckily, I love big storms.

Shawkn
Clownfish
Clownfish
754 Posts

[Post New]by Shawkn on Oct 20, 17 12:14 AM
silver_hawk wrote:Yep, been through them before. I was there for the inaugural day wind storm in 1993. Lots of trees down. Lots of property damage. And then some. Was in a wheel chair at the time after having knee surgery and was stuck at work with the power out.

I only have two words...

BE SAFE !!!!

What many don't realize is that a powerful windstorm (even at only 60 mph) in the Pacific Northwest can be just as bad or worse than a hurricane as far as damage and loss of life.

Check back in as soon as you can.

OH WOW! What an awful experience!!!!

I wasn't here in 1993 but I was here for the 2007 Hanukkah Eve Storm of 2007. If you find a satellite picture of that, it absolutely looks like a hurricane from space. Snow was blowing sideways and over the several previous days we had conditions that put ice on the roads, snow over that, more ice, etc. until Puget Sound was an ice skating rink. Then the actual storm hit. We have such weird weather up here but I love it.

Kimberly_63
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by Kimberly_63 on Oct 20, 17 11:21 AM
I was just wondering about the folks in the PacNW thought we hadn't heard anything (had to go hunting to find it . Glad everyone is ok. On Twitter earlier this week it looked really bizarre, this weather has gone bonkers with the rest of the world.

Go to: