Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Fright Chasers: Dark Exposure Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 21, 17 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 10/21/2017 at 10:32:58 AM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Fright Chasers: Dark Exposure Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Oct 21, 17 6:50 AM
This is the part where I sing praises about Mad Head games, usually. I felt a bit let down by this new series intro, because it's anything but Frightening! Mad Head may want to go back to the drawing board, they're beginning to get stuck in a rut. Same graphics, they stand room for improvement because at times they are blurry and cartoonish in nature, it's hard to feel scared when they remind me of a Saturday morning cartoon! Same symbols, there's symbols all over the place, including the same CE Spiral Collectibles, not to mention the fact that you would expect to see astrological symbols in this game, but they still chose to rehash their "Beyond" symbols. And now for the really disappointing news....they chose to add a Spirit Camera to reveal supernatural elements, a.k.a balls of white light. gasp, sigh, gasp. I was on the fence with how I really felt about this game. Initially I was only going to give this game 3 stars, however, I did love that this game takes place in current time. I have a cell phone for reference, and a drone as my helper. Also I liked that I didn't have a broken purse zipper!

Fright Chasers have set up camp near the Kilbourn Observatory, home to Ryan and Anne Kilbourn. Rumor has it, Anne still roams the hallways of the observatory as her grieving husband works diligently to find a way to defy the laws of physics, to join her. Before you can find a way inside (it's complicated) your partner Lisa becomes a victim of something supernatural, or at least astrophysical. One thing's for sure, ghosts really do exist, and Lisa will have plenty of things to blog about, if she makes it out alive!

This Collector's Edition version has everything you'd expect from Mad Head, because they offer the same exact bling in the same exact fashion with all of their games. Remember Rite of Passage Heart of the Storm? Remember Shadowplay, Maze Subject 360, and Beyond? These games came roaring in like a lion with fresh storylines, and sharp detailed graphics like no other dev had presented before. I fear they have fallen into the epix trap, where they are pressured to create a new game each month, sometimes multiple games a month. I've got all the time in the world, to wait patiently for that next "cutting edge" game. I'll gladly board the Mad Head train again, but first it needs to head back to the station for repairs.

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Fright Chasers: Dark Exposure Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by dtouchton on Oct 21, 17 7:22 AM
Thanks for the review. I am so tired of gadgets. We don't need them in a game. I'm with you, I'll wait until something new comes out. I'll only play the demo because I need something to play.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 21, 17 8:19 AM
What has happened to MadHead Games? Where are the brilliant story lines and unique elements that made their early games an absolute must-buy?? This game is another real disappointment from a developer I loved for their creativity and original thinking. And to add insult to injury, they've introduced a gadget that you get to use over and over again to see balls of light I suppose I should consider myself lucky the zip was intact but yet again the magic rust remover makes an appearance. And the collectibles are the same in every other MadHead game.

The graphics are good enough, as are the puzzles and the very few HOS I came across. The story is set in modern times, using a drone for various tasks which was fun to navigate and as usual it appears everyone is from the USA. The game can be customised to suit and the map transports but as I said, the collectibles are a real disappointment.

You'd think this dev might make some changes to their games to stop them becoming repetitive but apparently that isn't a priority. I assume from the many game series they now release that profit is their driving force, rather than customer satisfaction. Perhaps they should change their name to something beginning with 'E'; how about ELEPIXERS, a neat amalgamation of those other devs producing repetitive games. It should suit very well

My report would read: 'Very disappointing effort. Must do better or players will be looking elsewhere for something more entertaining and original'.

No technical issues with the demo, which lasted 65 minutes. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

Edited on 10/23/2017 at 1:36:29 AM PST

maggierose
Catfish
Catfish
1,717 Posts

[Post New]by maggierose on Oct 21, 17 8:30 AM
Sorry to see this decline in MadHead Games. They used to be so cutting edge.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Oct 21, 17 8:42 AM
Does it really matter who the Dev is anymore? Other worldly/ evil/ demon takes someone or something. You must save the world by using magical instrument/ tracing runes or some such silly repetition. They have all become the same. This is no different than the myriad of HOGs that BF has released in the last year. I'll pass on this as I have on the last 50 offerings.

As always try before you buy.
Happy gaming

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Oct 21, 17 10:31 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Fright Chasers: Dark Exposure Collector's Edition here. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread as the moderators will be removing any content that isn’t a review.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Fright Chasers: Dark Exposure Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBeruna

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Oct 21, 17 11:39 AM
Yes folks, agree with all of the above....sadly
My little heart took a giant leap when I came home tonight and saw the crazy bonces were back, but then..oh dear...
Graphics fab as always, spirally thing to collect as always...morph (terribly easy to find, I'm sure I used to have to really look hard for them, now they seem to pop out?) in HOP as always...
Finished demo with 10 mins to spare, I tend to have a good look around so don't rush, but didn't find any puzzles that needed to much brain power (have been at work today, so very brain-dead!) so here's the thing
I would buy IF there was another game I wanted in the BOGOF sale, but won't pay full price for it...sorry M/Head, I used to buy your stuff full price, but to keep us fishies interested we need variety, fun and DIFFERENT!

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Oct 21, 17 12:23 PM
You guys remember the days when you could buy a new series game without trying the demo, because you knew it was going to be top notch? Gone, gone, gone are those days!

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Oct 21, 17 1:20 PM
pennmom36 wrote:You guys remember the days when you could buy a new series game without trying the demo, because you knew it was going to be top notch? Gone, gone, gone are those days!

Hi ,

Tell me about it! The other day I was playing a old game " Gothic Fiction, Dark Saga", and I enjoyed it a lot. For some reason never I played it, and I bought this in 2012.

Pity for us that also Mad Heads, my favorite Devs are repeating the games with not creativity or difference.

I'll buy it as half price, but without too much enthusiasm.

Happy gaming ,
M.

Edited on 10/22/2017 at 9:27:24 PM PST

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Oct 21, 17 1:22 PM
I'm on the fence with this one. As many have said, it is the same old, same old - would be nice if they would change up the "collectible" instead of the same old spiral. getting tired of seeing that.

I too am tired of gimmicks - and no, I would not pay full price for this one. I will carry on with re-playing older games until the next CE game comes out next Thursday - so for the next 4 days, will not see anything that suits my fancy.

Oh well, such is life.

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Oct 21, 17 1:27 PM
Its not too bad! What I'm surprised is comments about Mad Head games, thieve never been all that great! Thieve had a couple that were kinda good, but for the most part they've always been kinda gimmicky & a little boring

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 21, 17 2:02 PM
Hello friends! As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story line to those who do a much better job than I. Other than a little blur in the close up scenes, which seem to be a norm these days, the graphics are very nice and clear. Colors seemed to have a little blue, but not over powering and not all the time. Otherwise, colors were true and bright. Game play was excellent, with no glitches or problems during the demo. Animation was excellent and realistic, with eye and mouth movement, and they are very smooth. Voices were age and character appropriate, with emotion that worked quite well together with the facial movements. Music was okay. I turn it down low so I can hear the sound FX. These are done very well. There did not seem to be any "dead air" during the demo.

HOPs are varied a bit, but mostly interactive lists. The scenes are very clean and items were not difficult to find. We do have a morphing object to find, which is not as easy as you think. Nope, no match 3 or jigsaw puzzles to switch to either. Puzzles didn't seem difficult to me and there wasn't anything new. I did find one that took me a bit to complete. There are not a lot of HOPs or puzzles in this one, at least not during the demo, hopefully it picks up a bit as we go along. Hint system is helpful, but it does not transport to longer locations. This would be nice, as you do a lot of back tracking. Yes, we have a jump map, but it is very bland and boring and detracts from the rest of the game. It needed some color and no pop outs!

Collectibles were nice, even though we had the standard symbol that this Dev uses in all their games. It is large and easy to find. When looking around at the extras, I found that we also have case file puzzles pieces to put together. No sure where those came from, but I completed 3 puzzles after the demo. These puzzles tell you a little about the picture you just put together. A little disappointing.

I found this to be an interesting story, even though we still had ghosts to deal with. Yes, we had a supernatural camera lens to hunt down "light balls" in order to talk to the ghost...not my favorite feature. The game started off well, but seemed to slow down a little, then pick up at the end of the demo, naturally. Still, it was not hard to follow and you are constantly on the move. It was not all that challenging, but what game is these days. That said, I like this game well enough to give it a 4.25 on my demo scale, and will purchase it for my collection. I think most all levels of players will find this one enjoyable for one reason or another.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

ttomm46
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by ttomm46 on Oct 21, 17 7:50 PM
About 15 minutes and i was done......The boring play devolved quickly into guess work and gadget operation.........

Hidden object and adventure can be great but irritating puzzles are with no logic involved just plain sucks, and this game has a superficial story with boring characters..A big pass for me..

Time for something different for a change like more pure adventure games without a lot of boring puzzles thrown in for good measure.......

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 22, 17 2:02 AM
Same old boring game. And unless Mad Head Games changes their Collectables, I won't buy their CEs anymore.
I buy the CEs not so much for the bonus chapter, but for the collectables. And preferably, there has to be more than one collectable and/or collectables with which I can buy something and/or furnish a room or something similar.

I have complaint several times about the dev's lazy way of always using the same collectable, and have had enough of it now.

charlene_lane
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by charlene_lane on Oct 22, 17 10:55 AM
I was going to buy this game on Saturday, but for the life of me I couldn't find another game to buy at the same time - you know, two for the price of one. So, I'm going to hold out and get it later in the week. Its sad to see that no-one liked the game, but I'm running out of games to play, so I will buy it. But don't panic, there are some fabulous games coming out. I had a look on 'All About Casual Games' and there will be your favourite ones coming. Just hang on ...

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Oct 22, 17 7:15 PM
I completely agree with all the reviews about this is another REPEAT!

When will the developers & listen to the Buyers of these games? Do you want our money ?

PLEASE LISTEN TO THE BUYER'S. MAKE SOME NEW STORY LINES. I'M NOT ASHAMED TO BEG...IF IT WILL CHANGE THINGS IN THE GAMING WOLRD. PLEASE!

This game is good for Newbies. But for the majority that have played and paid to make these games...over the last 10yrs, it's a REPEAT!

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Oct 22, 17 9:06 PM
I tend to agree with most of the comments, however, I think it's the Developers who should be the ones "sitting up and taking notice" as they are the ones making these games. BFG is making them available.

I would love to see more HOPA games - with lots of collectibles - and no more gimmicks, no more runes and no more portals to "another world" or whatever.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Oct 23, 17 7:28 AM
Valdy wrote:Same old boring game. And unless Mad Head Games changes their Collectables, I won't buy their CEs anymore.
I buy the CEs not so much for the bonus chapter, but for the collectables. And preferably, there has to be more than one collectable and/or collectables with which I can buy something and/or furnish a room or something similar.

I have complaint several times about the dev's lazy way of always using the same collectable, and have had enough of it now.

Well Valdy ,

You are not going to buy more those games. I played one week ago the last Nevertales in my Sneak Peek, and I had the same symbols as collectables, but I had also a morphing object in each scene.

Have a nice evening,
M.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Oct 23, 17 8:11 AM
I finished the game, and also the BC, and I felt very annoyed for the amount of HOS I played. The story was nothing new, and its flow was interrupted for the several HOS and minigames.

Once upon a time, Mad Heads were my favorite Devs. Now, they are rushing making games very quickly without quality. They forgot, we, customers are paying for those games. From now, if they don't improve I will not buy anymore them. Of course, they need to think making more games as adventure ones.

I don't have problems with the same symbol as collectable, I guess is a trademark for them.

For people who like it, enjoy ,
M.

Edited on 10/27/2017 at 6:23:51 PM PST

Go to: