Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Harrowed Halls: Hell’s Thistle Collector’s Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 26, 17 12:34 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 10/26/2017 at 9:22:19 AM PST

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Harrowed Halls: Hell’s Thistle Collector’s Edition here.

[Post New]by judy76073 on Oct 26, 17 5:18 AM
only played about 30 minutes. Way too dark and dreary for me. Plus getting tired of the gimmicks (in this case a phone). will pass on this one as well.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Harrowed Halls: Hell’s Thistle Collector’s Edition here.

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Oct 26, 17 6:09 AM
I was a fan of this new series when Lakeview Lane was released last year, and (censored...H-e double L's) Thistle has exceeded my expectations! The graphics are some of the best I've seen in a long time, and although the story isn't exactly new per se, it does leave room for plot thickening and a few twists and turns. I love games that are based upon modern day events, and even though I'm not a fan of "ghost catching" devices, I'm willing to overlook the gimmicky device, because a cell phone is exactly what you'd expect someone to be using in current times. This edition has a whopping 72 Morphing Puzzle pieces (the beta only had 44!) that allows you to assemble Jigsaw Puzzles and save as Screensavers. You will also collect Coins throughout the game, that can be used to purchase Video Arcade and Billiards to decorate your virtual mancave garage, which also has a section to store your collectibles.

HARROWED HALLS GAMES AVAILABLE
Title***Collector's Edition Release Date***Average Rating
1-Lakeview Lane (October 20-2016) 3.6
2- (H-e-double L's) Thistle (October 26-2017) n/a
(?????? Why do they give these games a name that you're not allowed to write on a review??????)

This Collector's Edition has 20 Developer Diary pictures, 14 Wallpapers, 24 Concept Art pictures, 4 Music Soundtracks, 6 Jigsaw Puzzle Screensavers, 72 Morphing Jigsaw Puzzle pieces (to assemble the screensavers) 17 Achievements to earn, Collectible Coins (to buy virtual arcade and billiards) a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter, enjoy the nightmare!

MaryEl
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by MaryEl on Oct 26, 17 7:01 AM
Another game with "gimmicks" and other ghost catching devices. Cell phone in this game. Seems all the developers are running out of original ideas and resorting to these and other strange devices. It is supposedly a HO game, so why not just let the user find the objects themselves. Otherwise it looks like a good game, but maybe not for me unless a really big sale comes along. For those of you that like this kind of thing, enjoy.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 26, 17 7:59 AM
I played for a couple of hours, but then lost interest and quit the game. It was far too dark (in colour) and I had to go to the same rooms over and over to get things and do things, it got boring quickly.

cowgirl202
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by cowgirl202 on Oct 26, 17 8:29 AM
I only played the demo for 10 minutes and was bored. If you want a really good game go back to 13th Skull, Mystery Case Files...It's an old one but one of the best. Also really enjoying Evil Pumpkin.

bfgIlinalta
3,807 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIlinalta on Oct 26, 17 9:22 AM
Howdy Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Harrowed Halls: Hell’s Thistle Collector’s Edition here. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Harrowed Halls: Hell’s Thistle Collector’s Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgIlinalta

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Oct 26, 17 10:02 AM
pennmom36 you are right about everything in this game. I loved it, dark scenes and all. I believe this is the first time I ever seen you be so positive about a game. definitely a buy for me when a sale comes around. actually demo was pretty long.

[Post New]by sammie1212 on Oct 26, 17 1:38 PM
Thought it would be a good game, but too many cutscenes. It really interrupts the flow.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Oct 26, 17 6:57 PM
There certainly have been many games lately that have been 'same-old, same-old', with the missing zipper pull, and the ghost hunting app on the cell phone. I'm not looking for a game that is particularly 'jump out of my seat' spooky or creepy, just a decent storyline. There is something about this storyline that kept me interested and wanting to continue beyond the demo. This will be a buy for me.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 27, 17 3:53 AM
I lost interest the moment yet another gadget reared it's ugly head. How many more of these annoying ploys to lengthen a game are we going to endure before the devs realise many here are actually sick and tired of them

Then there's the missing you-know-what No doubt followed by the magic rust remover, the trusty oil can and a dozen or so items to open various doors, cupboards, electricity boxes (highly dangerous ), chests or whatever. And 'Hells' Thistle' doesn't exactly sound like something dangerous; you might get a nasty sting or scratch but I've never seen any signs saying 'Beware of the thistle'.

I don't care any more how good the story is or if the graphics are beautiful or the puzzles interesting. I'm just tired of the same old thing every week; if one developer comes up with something original, it's in every other game a few weeks later

I might try the SE if I have a PCC going spare but this CE was just not worth the extra money.

No technical issues with the demo which I didn't play to the end. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

Edited on 11/24/2017 at 3:23:31 AM PST

gertie23
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by gertie23 on Oct 28, 17 5:18 PM
This is a ridiculous game! Sometimes I had to click on something 3 or 4 times before it would actually take (wasted about 8 minutes), very little direction (in my opinion) even after clicking the hint button. I finally had enough while on the balcony and was stuck with the 'phone gadget', it kept telling me to click on the 'achievement button' but still went nowhere? I like a bit of a challenge but I do not like frustration (bad for the blood pressure).

Do not recommend this game.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Oct 29, 17 1:24 PM
judy76073 wrote:only played about 30 minutes. Way too dark and dreary for me. Plus getting tired of the gimmicks (in this case a phone). will pass on this one as well.

Exactly my thought!!! Only I played 20 min and I deleted it!

Pleas Devs, make games with more color!!

For people who enjoy it, happy ,
M.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 29, 17 4:54 PM
Hi all! As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to others. This is not my usual long winded review, as I just couldn't get into this game. I did play through the entire demo, but it was very difficult. The graphics were blurry most of the time. Colors drab, but then again, it was supposed to be an old spooky house. Sound FX weren't too bad, but not enough character interaction to even mention. The constant flash backs in the beginning were very annoying.

HOPs were highlighted words, interactive lists and straight lists. Items weren't difficult to find. The HOPs were few and far between. Puzzles were nothing new and quite simple. The map was blah and boring, but we did have a transport feature.

Collectibles were okay. We had 72 morphing puzzles pieces to find, which were not as easy as you think, then we needed to complete a jigsaw puzzle with the pieces we found. We also find coins to buy games and prizes. These aren't easy to spot, but are not terribly small either. Nothing exciting.

I just found this story very slow and much too quiet. It needed a nice combination of dialog and sound FX to keep you interested. A beginner might find this one fun, but not a seasoned gamer. When I beta tested it, I didn't even add it to my beta list. If it's less than a 4, I don't bother. I will recommend it to a real beginner, but that's all. No buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by cookiehoney on Nov 1, 17 9:39 AM
I seem to be in a minority here but I loved the game but I am a fan of spooky games. Loved the graphics and puzzles but am confused about the 72 morphing objects. I can only find one in each scene, can anybody tell me where the rest are please?

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Nov 9, 17 1:12 PM
Overall i thought it was a good game. My main complaint is the story got drug out for way to long and didn't really keep my interest after awhile. The story overall was good it just lost it's punch half way through the game and drug on with no real developments for periods of time. It's a long game so if anyone looks for that, your in for a long one. I thought the bonus game was a nice touch and complimented the main story well. It's short though which was fine by me as i was growing very tiresome of the story already given the game was so long. Just don't think they fleshed out the story very well.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Nov 13, 17 5:38 PM
I actually really enjoyed this game. Maybe it's because I haven't played a game in a while. It did have some of the same ol' things but it did also have some original mini games and HOGs and I didn't mind the phone HOGs too much, at least they were short! The story line really hooked me too!

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Nov 25, 17 1:43 PM
Why is this categorized as a HOG when there are hardly any hos? The 2 that I came across were repeated. This is a puzzle heavy game, some easy, some not. They are time consuming and enough time is spent going back and forth looking for inventory items. The teleport hint is very helpful. Some of the tasks are juvenile, which you know all about. I found the hos to be a challenge at times or so easy I just breezed through them. The were not very well done artistically. There is not much emphasis on them in this game at all. It is as though they just put a couple hos in the game to be done with it. Unless you are really into puzzle mini games, I would not even suggest this for a beginner.

I also do not feel this is CE worthy. I did not see where you can replay either hos or puzzles which should be added to a CE's extras. I don't care for wallpapers and concept art...and was concentrating more on gameplay than I was any collectibles in this particular game.

I am very disappointed in this game because the graphics are very good and really adds to the atmosphere and story. I played the complete demo for this and the SE. I really wanted to like this game, but honestly do not because of the amount of puzzles in it. There is no balance and I lost interest in it. It becomes boring after a while and I just didn't want to spend any more time....or money on it.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Feb 27, 18 12:50 AM
At last! A developer who finally, finally gives you something at the end from collecting coins instead of buying silly things for a house or a pet. I loved the arcade games you can play...so if you're reading the reviews, make sure you pick up all the coins otherwise you might miss out.

All in all, it was a pretty good game, though a bit too dark for my liking, as in the pictures, not the mood. It didn't really explain what happened to the kid to make her the way she was, but maybe I missed something?

The morphing objects were sometimes hard to find, the bonus play was a good length and not filled with one HOP after another as other devs do (drives me nuts).

Go to: