Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Roads of Rome: New Generation 2 here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 1, 17 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 11/01/2017 at 8:57:10 AM PST

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Roads of Rome: New Generation 2 here.

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Nov 1, 17 8:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread for Roads of Rome: New Generation 2! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on this game here. There are just a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Roads of Rome: New Generation 2.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.We'll be happy to assist in any way we can.

bfgArinelle

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Nov 1, 17 9:58 AM
OMNES VIAE ROMAM DUCUNT
It's all about the roads in this strategy based, time management series, and all roads eventually lead to Rome! It looks like the graphics have improved since the last release, and there are some added features as well. Some levels have hidden caches, which aren't really difficult to spot, it's just sometimes difficult to remember to spot them!

After the earthquake, the citizens of Rome were hoping the peace and tranquility would remain for the rest of their days, but that wouldn't be much of a story right? The Vikings attacked viciously and without mercy, they destroyed the empire's roads, bridges and just about everything else standing in their way. Marcus saves the day once again, as he leads his army and pushes back against the Vikings. Not wanting to be left behind, Valeria convinces her father to grant her the authority to help the residents of the Empire, and restore their lands to their former beauty. But first you need a road to travel on.

This is a Time Management game based on strategy because you need to do things in a certain way in order to achieve expert status on each level. I found myself replaying many levels to change the order in which I queued a task, or change the type of building I constructed, so I could finish the level before nightfall, because once the sun sets, you can't receive expert status. There are several modes of difficulty available: Relaxed, Easy, Normal and Hard, I chose Normal but was unable to queue tasks when no worker was available, the only downside to this game.

There are the usual Time Management tasks, clearing debris from paths, removing boulders and repairing flooded areas, and of course rebuilding several bridges, as well as gathering resources and finding Viking stashes. To complete all these repairs, pig farms need built to feed the workers, Sawmills need built to produce the wood needed for repairs, and Storage Building will increase and permanently increase resources. Many of the buildings can be upgraded, such as the workers camp to gain more workers. Some of the people you meet are willing to make exchanges of goods for a necessary resource such as bombs needed to clear huge boulders. Occasionally you come across speciality items, such as speed boots that allow the workers to move faster. or boots hidden or a clock, they will increase speed or freeze time once the path is cleared to them.

Although each level has different goals to achieve, the main goal is to build the road. In order to build the road however, you need to gather the necessary resources, and keep the crew fed. In order to gather enough resources and food, you need to strategically build the right buildings, such as farms, sawmills and quarries, at the right time. I love the updated graphics, and the day and night visual effects in this game, and that you need to use strategy rather than the course already laid out, "can't make a wrong choice" scenarios. Give this one a try, the series has been around for a long time, and each one is better than the last, enjoy!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 2, 17 1:31 AM
If you liked the other ROR games then you'll like this one! I bought it without trying the demo as this quality of TM/builder game is becoming a bit of a rare animal.

There are some subtle changes to the previous game; now you can choose which type of building you want e.g.sawmill or pig farm, gold mine or quarry etc. etc. Also they seem to have changed the way the power-ups work and I can't figure out how they activate. I build the shoemaker (no longer called cobbler!) but the little pair of fast-run shoes never seem to appear. I'll work it out eventually!

Otherwise nothing much new about this game but that's just fine with me; no need to mess with a winning formula. My only gripes with these games are the fact that you can't chain tasks and the constant flashing of parts that you can do something with. If you have enough resources, the game can't wait to show you the rock that needs removing or patch of road that needs repairing; 'flash flash flash, yoo-hoo look at this, you can fix/move this, can't you see this, what are you waiting for'. Yes I can see it but I'll do what I want when I want to do it, not when the game tells me to, thank you. I've ignored it in all the ROR games but you'd think the devs would maybe make it optional, like having sparkles or no sparkles in a HOPA. And the other thing they need to do is give you the choice to chain tasks; this is pretty much the only TM game series that doesn't and it slows the game down.

Otherwise I'm enjoying this unexpected treat Just waiting now for the next episode of Gardens Inc!

No technical issues with the bought version. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

ETA: I've worked out how the power-ups work And I have to disagree with the previous post; some of the hidden caches are really hard to find!

Edited on 11/03/2017 at 12:03:35 PM PST

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Nov 2, 17 3:00 PM
Yay! You all listened! Love this series - bought right off the bat. Thank you developers!

plat1098
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by plat1098 on Nov 2, 17 3:52 PM
This game was actually released, what, 8 or more months ago. It's built on the same premise as NG, there's more, much more in the way of decision making, and making each second count. Hard mode is unreal, you almost have to practice-run in normal mode, but there's untimed also. Secrets, yep. Valeria is a gracious nod to a female player but the workers are the same. Graphics are delicious.

Did not think NG could be improved upon but I was mistaken. This is good.

Edit: Not to give away too much, but if you build bonus shacks for speed/extra resource, please try to remember to activate them in the bar at the top! They won't activate automatically. Also, there will be times you have to demolish a building. Click the little fire icon, also at the top, only way to do it.

Edited on 11/02/2017 at 3:54:16 PM PST

[Post New]by noscamisme on Nov 3, 17 11:37 PM
loved the game but it finished too soon

dollfaye
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by dollfaye on Nov 4, 17 4:49 AM
I, also, loved the game but, like so many others, I had trouble with it crashing. I finally put in for a credit and gave up. Such a pity that the developers would rather ignore the glitches in a good game rather than fix them and make more money.

Kirland
Manatee
Manatee
3,699 Posts

[Post New]by Kirland on Nov 10, 17 8:58 PM
Great game. Had some glitches but followed BF advice and it seemed to clear up any problems I had.

Love this type of TM game. I really have to push myself to figure out the best plan of action and steps to take to get gold. I will reply each level until I get gold. Thanks to all the help from others in the Games Forum.

Big Fish, keep these games coming.

karenmusik
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by karenmusik on Nov 11, 17 12:01 PM
Love this game, but the fact that you can't chain actions really bugs me. Maybe use a free game for it.

tamk42
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by tamk42 on Nov 19, 17 4:04 PM
For a game you are advertising as #1 hit game----wondering if there will be an update as it doesn't work right. I already commented on the tech thread, as well as read all of the other exact same comments. I've just uninstalled it and would like to know if there will be an update??? If not I guess I have to forgo playing this one and get a credit. Very disappointing.

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Nov 19, 17 4:29 PM
Hi tamk42,

I certainly understand how this situation could be frustrating, and we apologize for any inconvenience troubles in the game have caused. We will be sure to make an announcement if or when we receive more information about potential updates. In the meantime, it may help to try running the game as an Administrator or checking for video card driver updates. If that doesn't do the trick, please reach out to our Technical Support Team for further assistance.

I'd also like to take a quick moment to remind everyone to please keep posts in this thread on-topic by posting reviews for the game. Technical issues should be posted in the Tech Issues thread; this helps keep the Review thread on-topic so players can find the content they're looking for with greater ease. Please refer to the following guideline for posting in the Reviews thread:

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Roads of Rome: New Generation 2.

If there are questions or concerns, please feel free to send a PM to me or another Moderator at any time. We'll be happy to provide any answers we can.

bfgArinelle

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Dec 7, 17 2:02 PM

Bought without trying because I know I like these TM games.

However, in this case, all Roads of Rome lead to BUG CENTRAL.

Plodding on through, restarting when I get chucked out, hope I can last out until the end of the game.

This is so darn irritating. Second game this week with bugs.

[Post New]by rennick on Jan 19, 18 10:24 AM
I agree with layzeedaisy. I purchased this game without checking the forums, because every game of this series I've greatly enjoyed. My main enjoyment, however, comes in solving every puzzle. Unfortunately, that's impossible with this game. Not because the challenges are too difficult (they're just about right), but because you risk the game crashing at any moment, usually just after you find that 5th hidden cache with only a few seconds to spare before gold time expires.

It's a good thing this is the last game in the series, because it would be the last one I purchase.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Mar 4, 18 7:13 PM
I didnt have any problems with crashing or tech issues but I was frustrated to find myself continually losing & having to restart lengthy, tedious levels. I ended up uninstalling at about 40% of the way through the game.

It just got to be too annoying running out of time & being forced to restart.

Sort of felt like a job.

Av8Trx
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

Best in the series so far - Highly Recommended

[Post New]by Av8Trx on Apr 15, 18 8:25 PM
I'm a fan of this series and this is by far the best release. Interesting new environments and some puzzling required to get through the level. They've also made some significant improvements over the previous releases. Bonuses (shoes, hammers, etc...) no longer drop like resources, so you don't get distracted by the audio prompt for assets over these items. Instead, there is a recharge bar for these bonuses. Also, the hidden caches are not as predictable as they used to be, they're now a fun challenge to find. Very well done overall. Enjoyed this game from start to finish.

Go to: