drkgordon
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

To Gift or Not to Gift?

[Post New]by drkgordon on Nov 2, 17 6:57 AM
So here's the thing...I have this wonderful gifting friend. They have in the past taken down their wish list for a very long time, but still continue to gift almost daily. I have sent back as soon as I see their wish list back up again but that's not very often.

I feel the need to reciprocate a gift and try very hard to make sure I do. It's just my nature or maybe OCD. Right now, they have their wish list up, BUT they have the message No Gifts Plz beside their name. The items listed are just regular inventory.

I want sooooo bad to gift them, but I also want to honour their request for no gifts. This is driving me nuts. Do I sneak one in there? Do I not? What to do? What to do?

sbaker2318
Manatee
Manatee
4,187 Posts

Re:To Gift or Not to Gift?

[Post New]by sbaker2318 on Nov 2, 17 7:00 AM
I obey MOST of the time...........but I do sneak one in now and then.

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Nov 2, 17 7:26 AM
I don't know about your friend but I'll give my two cents.

I have a NogiftsPls on my game too. I do have a wish list up. Normally I don't because I don't need anything but...

I have friends who do not have many friends and/or need to gift to get postcards to do Trina quests or for the achievement. For anyone who really needs to get a gift out I have a white stamp and a pumpkin right now on my WL for them. If they have any of those things on their WL I gift them back to them so they don't run low on their games.

There is no gifting rule. Just common courtesy. If you feel the need to gift them because they gifted you there is nothing wrong with that. It's like saying "I know you don't need anything but I'm sending this gift as a Thank You for helping me".

Do what feels right to you. But don't feel you have to gift back if they have a NoGiftsPlz message.

eli173
Manatee
Manatee
3,645 Posts

[Post New]by eli173 on Nov 2, 17 7:41 AM
If they are just regular items and you have received several gifts from your friend, I would say go ahead and send the gifts anyway.

Usually people with a wish list and a no gifts sign just want to transfer items from other games they may have, or increase the chances of the item dropping from HOSs or sometimes being gifted from John, in the case of expensive or much sought after items, such as seasonal items.

Placing regular items on your list plus the no gifts sign probably means that they don't really need the items but are placing them there to help their friends meet achievement and pet requirements with the cornucopia.

If they are seasonal or CC items they may just want to trade back and forth (eg. pumpkins).

Kimberly_63
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by Kimberly_63 on Nov 2, 17 7:53 AM
I have some incredible friends and a handful have taken down their wishlists. I absolutely love to give and every once in awhile I can sneak a gift in. In addition, I have tried to find their friend id so I can send them a pm - some I can't do i post periodic messages about how I appreciate their generosity. I post it under player acts of kindness in hopes more people will read it.

I didn't really answer your question though - if it makes you feel good do it - your intentions are honorable!

Edited on 11/02/2017 at 8:13:16 AM PST

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Nov 2, 17 8:31 AM
I have the message of NoGiftsPlz next to my avatar in my PC game .....and I usually have no wish list posted.

Here is my reasoning:
1. This game is mostly for getting statistics when updates are pushed (PC can sometimes get the update as much as a week before iOS, and that is a long delay to posting the changes to the threads I update). ..... I mostly have the friends in that game so others can have another Spring Terrace to visit, and so I can give out the few gifts under trees at Christmas.

2. I really don't need anything in that game.

3. I can't always log into that game 3x a day to return gifts, and if I post a wish list, I generally get more than 15 gifts ..... which results in me taking down the wish list to catch up.

4. I'm playing the CC on that game because of the Fall event, but I will not play the entire CC ..... I want to "get" the second avatar, but I don't plan to "claim" him to see if indeed, when the CC is over, it remains unlocked and unavailable. ...... again, statistical gathering. ..... during the CC, I will put up the toffee apple and orange candy, but I will remove it when I have the required number (and return the same to those who have gifted me).

But, in that game ...... when I say NoGiftsPlz ..... I really do mean that I don't want gifts .... and yes, I sometimes send out gifts (especially during the events) because I don't care about inventory on that game (not working toward any achievements).

Hope this helps.....

drkgordon
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by drkgordon on Nov 2, 17 9:00 AM
Both this friend and I are level 80. I have a wish list because I am working on the DQ achievements and the Magic Miser achievement. I have taken mine down also for extended periods of time and occasionally put it back up to help replenish inventory items and to help my lower level friends. I have also had a Do Not Gift message but still received gifts regardless. I just return the favour in that instance.

Thanks everyone for the opinions. My curiosity about what other long term players have done has been satisfied. I must ponder now.

susiewastaken
Salmon
Salmon
2,847 Posts

[Post New]by susiewastaken on Nov 2, 17 9:09 AM
Some players have/had some sort of message about no gifts when they meant 'please don't bother gifting ghost traps which are just on my list for hos drop or John"

I would sneak in a gift. Oops!

gripes
Clownfish
Clownfish
517 Posts

[Post New]by gripes on Nov 2, 17 9:40 AM
I have two or three friends .. who gift regularly and rarely have a wish list.. I keep count of all the gifts I receive and from who.....the minute I see I am able to gift these folks I take advantage and do so...

[Post New]by cochise08cc on Nov 2, 17 11:10 AM
I'm not trying to post inappropriately, but I sent out tons of friends requests when i first started playing and did not get but a couple of responses. Is there a place I can go and post that I need friends? Do I just type in a name and click the plus sign for all hoping to get a hit? I am at level 47 and it is getting harder and harder to complete things on my own.

my friend code is i2180161 - but I can post this elsewhere if I'm out of line asking here. I just saw the word "gift" and thought "I need friends for gifts"! LOL

Thanks - have a great day!

cc

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Nov 2, 17 11:16 AM
Yes, indeedy, there is a specific thread for posting friend requests ..... you can add your request to the bottom and accept as many invites as you get ..... AND you can send invites to some of the players who have posted at the end of the thread .....

The thread is always available from the Helpful Links for Midnight Castle .... scroll down to the Friends section (2nd one) .....

Since you are on iOS, here is the one for iOS players:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/275474.page
(copy and paste into your browser)

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Nov 2, 17 11:32 AM
cochise08cc wrote:I'm not trying to post inappropriately, but I sent out tons of friends requests when i first started playing and did not get but a couple of responses. Is there a place I can go and post that I need friends? Do I just type in a name and click the plus sign for all hoping to get a hit? I am at level 47 and it is getting harder and harder to complete things on my own.

my friend code is i2180161 - but I can post this elsewhere if I'm out of line asking here. I just saw the word "gift" and thought "I need friends for gifts"! LOL

Thanks - have a great day!

cc

As AEG suggested; go to the last page of the iOS friend code thread to see the most recent entries. Copy those down working backwards in the thread and invite those players. You'll have better chances of getting accepted invitations that way.

Also, many will not accept invitations to anyone who has a game name of "Player". Too many with that name to keep track of who gifted and which one to gift back.

So... if by chance your game name is Player you will need to change it to something else that suits you. Just click on your avatar in the upper left corner. When the achievement page opens click the pencil below your avatar. Backspace out the name Player, then type in a name you'd like to call yourself.

[Post New]by cochise08cc on Nov 2, 17 5:39 PM
Thank you, I have hit the friend code thread! I appreciate the info!

Cochise8

Go to: