skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

Bonus Games (Spider in Particular)

[Post New]by skpjazz on Nov 4, 17 12:28 PM
The instructions for Spider 4 Suits say that you have to have a pile in descending order from King to Ace in the same suit, in order for it to be moved automatically from the tableau to the foundation. By accident, I learned that this is not correct (in this version anyway) -- you can mix suits and color in order for it to be moved to the foundation. But, while you're trying to build that pile, you can only move small piles of cards within the tableau if they're arranged by the same suit. The idea is to expose as many cards on the tableau and create empty spaces, so that you can use that space to help you move cards around. But try not to mix suits with too many cards in a row, otherwise it will be harder to move them and place new cards as they come up. In other versions of spider, you can't draw from the stock pile if you have empty spaces in the tableau. In this version, you can (don't know if that's just an oversight).

Beware of the autoplay, because where the card is placed, may not be to your advantage. (At least you can use the undo for one move at a time.) The autoplay was annoying to me, and even when I unchecked it on the bottom left, it didn't seem to turn it off. If you hold onto a card too long with your mouse, it will move it for you, and if two cards are moved in a row, the undo only undoes the last one played. (I may be wrong about what the autoplay does, but I would rather use the hint if I don't know where a play is, and move the card myself.)

As you can see, it is very difficult (at least for me) to explain the rules. I just wanted to mention a few of them, in case anyone was having trouble with this game, because if you follow the game's instructions, it will be much harder and not as fun. As with any game, the more you get the hang of it, the more fun it is. I'm looking forward to learning how to play some of the other ones, but I can't count on learning it from the in-game help. (Sorry, Suricate.) I love JMS overall, anyway!

Edited on 11/04/2017 at 2:11:10 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:Bonus Games (Spider in Particular)

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Nov 4, 17 3:23 PM
Yikes, if you can win the spider 4 suits you'll have my eternal respect because I remember trying to play that many years ago in the free version provided with Windows and I only ever won it on 4 suits once! I've noticed that even the 1 suit spider is super hard to win because you can't move big stacks of cards around like in the free Windows version.

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Nov 4, 17 4:48 PM
Thanks, SynthpopAddict, for your eternal respect , but I know that you would be able to win both the easy and harder versions of spider, with just a little more understanding of the rules! If it's not your thing, you're still the "master M3 player"!

Try the 1 suit spider again, because you can move big stacks around -- as long as they are of the same suit (and in the 1 suit spider, they are, LOL). Unless we played different versions years ago, that isn't any different from the version on JMS.

You probably haven't reached the "ah ha" moment in this game, where you might have had a slight misinterpretation or misunderstanding of the rules! That's exactly what happened to me, when the JMS help said that the stacks you created had to be of the same suit (in the 4 suits version) in order for it to be moved to the foundation. After I realized that you could mix up the suits, I started to win more games.

I know that your preference is M3, but I bet you if you give the easy version a few more tries, you'll discover how "easy" that one is to win!

BTW, I have won at least 10 games in the spider 4 suits, but it didn't trigger the trophy for winning 10 bonus games. So I guess I'll have to win some of the other bonus games to get that trophy. The only other ones that I know and am good at, are Klondike, and Freecell. There is not a new M3 out there, so I can spend time on learning the other solitaires!

Edited on 11/04/2017 at 5:12:47 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Nov 4, 17 6:01 PM
I heard the Ace trophy was still glitched, but also am not sure if they meant that you have to win 10 different bonus solitaire games either. From what I could tell, many of the bonus games especially the CE extra ones are crazy hard. I haven't been able to win any of the CE bonus solitaires at all, and the CE bonus game Aces Up crashed on me and erased my 3 bonus games won trophy in the process. I've since noticed that Royal Family is no longer winnable for me because the game is always deleting one random card from the pile so there is no way to ever win the game. Did report that to the dev, so hopefully there will be another fix.

I did try to play the easier version of spider a few more times but alas still no luck. For some reason I'm not getting the cards to line up correctly and the best I ever did was get one stack of cards to the foundation. Right now I'm tempted to buy JM Twilight Solitaire to see if they fixed the Ace trophy problem there, as I did notice an update to the game had been released for the PC version at least. But I'm with you on needing a new M3 fix...right now am playing DragonScales 3 once more...

Edited on 11/05/2017 at 9:28:57 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Nov 4, 17 11:21 PM
Update: I finally figured out how to get Royal Family to be winnable again...I had to shut off the autoplay feature by trying out another bonus game with it off first, then when I tried playing Royal Family it was winnable again. Too bad, as I liked the autoplay automatically moving cards to the foundations in some of the bonus games since I don't always spot the available moves there otherwise, but it's better to be able to win the games.

BTW skpjazz I finally managed to win a game of the 1 suit spider but it took a lot of tries. Still haven't been able to win any of the CE bonus solitaire variants. I have confirmed that the Ace trophy doesn't work because I finally did win 10 different bonus games in the regular bonus menu this morning and the trophy didn't unlock.

Edited on 11/05/2017 at 9:30:26 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Nov 7, 17 6:45 PM
Aces Up Easy will not win if you have a card in the discard spot in the top right...I've found that in order to win it you have to make sure that spot is empty along with having just the 4 aces in the tableau.

@skpjazz: You've still got my eternal respect for being able to win 10+ games in spider 4 suits. I can't even get a stack built with mixed suits to get anything to go away there!

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Nov 9, 17 11:18 AM
I haven't checked the forums for several days, so I'm trying to catch up! I also "took a break" from the card games.

SynthpopAddict: I'm sorry that I didn't notice your morph, but I do think the manatees are cute (big but cute), so....enjoy the seagrass and new teeth while you can, because before too long, that tail of yours will be throwing out venom! Actually, if I were you, I would prefer to skip on over to the dolphin. He's smart AND lovable.
It's going to take me a lonnnng time to get to the parrotfish, if I don't start posting more often.

Congratulations on winning at least one spider game, but (to use one of your favorite acronyms) I'm ROTFL as I'm telling you this! (Just kidding!)
Actually, knowing how you operate, you'll be winning the spider 4 suits before too long. That is...if a great new M3 doesn't come along.

In all seriousness, it took me a while years ago to "master" this game, because I'm not really a "card person". But one thing I can tell you that might help is to plan the placement of your cards thinking ahead to the next deal of cards. Also, try to get that empty space as soon as you can, so that you can move a card there to turn over a usable card -- this is where the "undo" comes in handy, because it's a hit or miss thing. In addition, try to keep as many open spaces as you can (or at least the one) so that you are able to rearrange the stacks. And...when you place certain cards, try to see if you can place it somewhere else as well, so that you don't limit your possibilities if a better card turns up. And the last thing I'll mention is to NOT think you should only place cards that will create a movable or winnable stack. You need to turn over as many playable cards as you can, but without boxing yourself in.

Don't know if any of this helps, because it's basically just "card common sense", but if anything, it sure feels good to be giving you advice (for a change)!!

P.S. I certainly hope all is going well this week! I expect an update after that "one-week mark"!

Edited on 11/09/2017 at 12:16:05 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Nov 10, 17 7:00 AM
Hi skpjazz, it's good to see you again! Week one at the new job has been all new hire orientation and a lot of document reading. I'm hoping to get into the lab work soon though. LOL I actually like the stingray, even if stingrays are a type of shark and all sharks pee through their skin.

Thanks for the card advice. Somehow I miss the patterns of where things can go and am always getting boxed in so I don't know if I'm ever going to master the spider 4 suits but I did manage to win many of the other bonus games.

Go to: