gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Cate West: The Velvet Keys Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 8, 10 1:07 PM
This is today's Daily Deal. I demo-ed it and bought it.

It's a HOG and it does have a relaxed mode.

The story's a paranormal one, but too far-fetched so far for even me to really get into - but I've only played an hour...

The scenes are European I guess, so the objects are a little different (which I like), but still include the ever-present (in HOG's it seems) umbrellas, crowbars, snakes, and scorpions.

I have neither rants nor raves about this one so far. But for Daily Deal prices, it was a no-brainer "buy" for me.

Update: Took me all day to play to the end. It gets a bit repetitious as to story and locations, but at least you do get to an ending rather than a "to be continued" or something. I got the "second best ending" - a higher score gets you a better ending it says. I definitely got my money's worth with this one.

Edited on 05/08/2010 at 7:36:32 PM PST

Doggy_lover
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

Re: Cate West: The Velvet Keys Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by Doggy_lover on May 8, 10 1:49 PM
This is one that I wanted to try eventually, so I went ahead and bought it. It's worth the DD price. I like the variety of hidden object searches, like placing objects according to an image or finding objects by clues. Decent minigames. I like the anime-style characters. My only real complaints are that the hidden object graphics aren't particularly impressive and that the different locations aren't very interesting. To any people who are undecided, demo this and see if you like it!

Edited on 05/08/2010 at 1:49:54 PM PST

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on May 8, 10 7:45 PM
I demo ed the game also since it was a 2.99 HOG. I really enjoyed and decided to purchase it. I like how it is a hidden object but also has a few spot the difference scenes. Also according to the walk through it looks like a nice long game.
This game is a sequel but it does not really give much back information for a new player. Although with no back story I'm not completely lost.

fragileind
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by fragileind on May 9, 10 12:46 AM
Medium grade graphics for **** searches, fascinating occult story, very nice play in relaxed mode, possible replay value because of variable endings. Not at all difficult. Wish the puzzles were a little more puzzling, but the "spot the difference" makes a nice change from the basic ****. No high marks for visuals but the story pulls you thru. Also, I never listen to the music, but this time I left it on by accident, and it's rather nice. Very Phillip Glass. Not done yet, a long game thru first time -- possibly because of extensive (skippable) dialogue. VERY worth the DD so far.

fragileind
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by fragileind on May 9, 10 12:49 AM
Re: previous comment: I don't know why the two letters "aitch" and "oh" were omitted above like dirty words after I posted. Can I say HOG ("aitch" "oh" "gee") here? C'mon, Big Fish, I'm not cussing.

fragileind
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by fragileind on May 10, 10 6:22 PM
Finished game, got best ending, first time through on relaxed mode, yet! Apparently the score level determines which ending you get, and I'm not sure why mine is best, but it does set up a sequel very obviously. The game gets repetetive, with 12 keys to find, and very few variations on how you get there. Long dialogues, which I'd skip on replay, but made for an interesting story first time thru. In order to boost score, do not use hints unless absolutely necessary. Be careful with random clicks. When in relaxed mode, you can take your time finding objects ahead of time, then find/fix/match several in a row -- there's a speed bonus. As the game goes on, some scenes become very familiar and you can stack up four or five clicks in a fast row and get a 200 point bonus on each after the first. The puzzles get more difficult as you go on -- the hardest (for me) are a sort of a "link the pipes" or "move bars into empty spaces to unblock the way." I skipped the last two, but the others became clear as I worked at them, on relaxed mode that's easy.

Bottom line: a good hidden object game with interesting story, but very repetitive. A few speed tricks boost the score. Definitely long enough (if not too long), and I'm glad I got the DD!

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on May 10, 10 6:58 PM
I'm really enjoying it! I'm glad I bought it, also The hidden object scenes kind of remind me of Lost in the City, there's a good story and enough variety in game play to keep things interesting. Good game!

Edited on 05/10/2010 at 7:06:23 PM PST

[Post New]by Bingoeight on May 14, 10 3:58 PM
Good game, puzzle also done well. Cate West games are overlooked, unless recommended.

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Jun 5, 10 5:28 PM
crazybluegirl200 wrote:I demo ed the game also since it was a 2.99 HOG. I really enjoyed and decided to purchase it. I like how it is a hidden object but also has a few spot the difference scenes. Also according to the walk through it looks like a nice long game.
This game is a sequel but it does not really give much back information for a new player. Although with no back story I'm not completely lost.

I finished the game a few weeks ago but I am just now getting back to this. The game is very long. Although it was long I just wanted it to be over. There wasn't very much development in the story. I just kept thinking they are horrible detectives waiting for the next victim to show up and not doing anything proactive.
The game claims the ending you get is based on how well you do in the game as far as speed and hints are concerned. I was really bored with the game for the last 4 or 5 chapters so I used the hint button a lot instead of looking for things. I got the best ending, I also skipped all the slider puzzles.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Jun 6, 10 9:58 AM
The following comments are based solely on the demo, played in relaxed mode:

I liked this one better than I did its prequel, The Vanishing Files. The storyline comes together from the very beginning rather than leave you wondering what's happening for the first few scenes. The puzzles started out mixed which was a plus since the ones in the original were organized in a definite formula (a HOG, a FROG, a spot-the-difference, a Guess Who, and then a correct-the-difference). Don't know if they settle into an exact formula later in the game or not. The HOG/FROG scenes are a bit cluttered, but not too junkpilish in nature. They're not crisp in nature though so some of the items are a tad fuzzy. The hint system refill in a reasonable amount of time and appeared to be unlimited.

Overall while this one didn't grab my attention completely, I wouldn't mind finishing it some day to see how it ends so it's going on my "Strong Maybe" list. If a Daily Deal rolls around on it again or if I run out of games on my "Absolutely Want" list, I'll certainly give it more consideration then.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jul 19, 10 4:05 AM
The game is an easy one for those who need easier hidden-object games.

I thought I'd try it because of the demo price, but I didn't care for it. I didn't like the many scenes with comic-book characters and line drawings that were so childish.

Not enough challenge for me and/or interesting gameplay but it would appeal to younger ages.

[Post New]by Linda_in_Aussie on Jul 21, 10 11:58 AM
Good game. Probably wouldn't have bought it for full price but excellent value as a Daily Deal. Basic HOG really but the variety of the puzzles was fun & challenging without being too hard. Only thing that spoils the game a little is the never-ending dialogue - I ended up skipping most of it and just got on with the game. out of 5.

joannickle
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
45,038 Posts

[Post New]by joannickle on Jul 21, 10 12:04 PM
I like Kate West stories. Bought this one before it is a dd wish I had waited, But you never know. Not sorry it is a pretty good game.

ilikegame
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by ilikegame on Jul 21, 10 5:50 PM
really like it. you won't go wrong for $2.99

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jul 21, 10 6:18 PM
I really enjoy the Cate West games. This is a steal at $2.99, in my opinion.

[Post New]by whatsup61 on Jul 22, 10 12:19 PM
Just d/l the game, states that I have only 34 minutes left. Whats up?
Am planning to buy anyway but was shorted minutes. Always come to forums for info for games. Thanks to all that contribute to the site.

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Jul 22, 10 12:48 PM
bought it with my coupon...did the hour demo and found interesting....but...got into my purchased game, and well sad to say need to finish....why?...at this time i really could not tell anyone...blonde moment....happy gaming

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jul 22, 10 1:22 PM
I don't remember why I didn't like the first Cate, and wasn't even going to demo this one because it looked like a lot of spot the difference minis which I hate. But I was wrong, these are NOT SPOT DIFFERENCE as we know and don't love them. They are the put objects back where they belong which I find a lot more fun, easier on the eyes and interactive.

The HOGs were the challenge for me, some clear but others very fuzzy to see or identify, so I used a LOT of hints to get on to the next mini, liked the putting together the victim's items, riddles etc. Very odd for me because I love HOGs and tolerate the minis. This game to my surprise I enjoyed all the puzzles and they weren't braintwisters, even able to do the pipes, easier, some sliders too.

The story, well, bizarre but if it is about a psychic you get away with about anything LOL. I just don't get why most the scenes are such dingy trash locations and not something to please the eyes, surely rusty old decayed places don't enhance the visuals. All in all though, as a "Catch" I spent hours on it and enjoying it. Only thing is I'm getting beaten up with random click penalties on the HOGS making guesses so I'll get the worst ending made with no points LOL. After 2 games that were clickoramas looking for hotspots, I just can't retrain my hand to NOT click, best to just use all the hints which charge fast. I would NEVER see or ID many of the objects to find. Worth $2.99? For me yes. Kept me occupied all night. Story makes no sense, but neither do I most the time

Edited on 07/22/2010 at 1:26:38 PM PST

coolkrunch
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by coolkrunch on Aug 1, 10 10:34 PM
Sorry, my first negative game review. Bor-ring...

[Post New]by bjmartin45 on Oct 15, 10 6:42 AM
I hated the 'dialog' part of this game and just skipped as much as possible. But I bought it anyway because the game play itself had some interesting twists on the usual.

If the creators improve their scripting and story presentation I'd buy all their games. As it is I would hesitate to buy the first Cate West even as a DD.

Go to: