Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Fears here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 8, 17 12:44 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 11/08/2017 at 8:18:37 AM PST

dollfaye
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Fears here.

[Post New]by dollfaye on Nov 8, 17 2:04 AM
I lasted 15 minutes into the trial before backing out. Cut scenes were excruciatingly slow and amateurish. In the very first HOS, I couldn't find the sharp object to open the suitcase but all the hint would do is show me the suitcase and tell me I needed a sharp object to open it.......Duh?? Too much risk for me even at today's sale price since there's no walkthrough.

addictedtofish
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by addictedtofish on Nov 8, 17 2:41 AM
dollfaye wrote:I lasted 15 minutes into the trial before backing out. Cut scenes were excruciatingly slow and amateurish. In the very first HOS, I couldn't find the sharp object to open the suitcase but all the hint would do is show me the suitcase and tell me I needed a sharp object to open it.......Duh?? Too much risk for me even at today's sale price since there's no walkthrough.

The knife is in the next hallway.
My problem is how do defeat the ghost and use the flashlight!!

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Nov 8, 17 2:46 AM
I had the same problem dollfaye until I decided to exit the HOP and have another look around. I then found the map which allowed me to access another area where I found the thing I needed to open the suitcase. Once opened, the suitcase gave me the remaining items in the HOP.

This is not going to be an easy game but if you like a challenge and something which plays more like an adventure game than a HOPA then this is certainly worth trying.

If you haven't already, do look at the guide and buttons and the tutorial, I don't usually bother with these but in this case I found them useful

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Nov 8, 17 4:20 AM
Thank you Belladonna for your useful hints! If it is more an adventure - then I'll try it!

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Nov 8, 17 4:31 AM
@Belladonna32

I had all kinds of issues with the flashlight, at one point the flashlight went bonkers and went back into it's inventory bubble and just began to flash rapidly, the flashlight turned red and a very loud and annoying static noise accompanied it which about blew my ear drums out! I couldn't pick it up or make it stop for nearly a minute! After it quit I picked it up again and just held it directly aiming at the spot the hint showed, after the ghost came at me about 3 times, the flashlight went back into it's place, the fog dissipated, and I was able to open the door.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Nov 8, 17 4:43 AM
*I would like to add 2 WARNINGS about this game (not a spoiler alert)*

The game has a lot of flashing graphics, many of which are strobe light type effects, so if you have any sensitivity's, I would suggest not to play this game.

This game's plot reminds me of the Saw movies, where the characters are forced to make brutal decisions, that could harm them. It's not quite as gruesome of course, but I just wanted to prepare you, in case you're not into this kind of genre.

MaryEl
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by MaryEl on Nov 8, 17 6:47 AM
Lasted 4 minutes. Too slow for me. This must have been in the BF attic for a very long time. Maybe it gets better but did not have the patience to wait and see. Maybe some players will enjoy it. If so, great.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Nov 8, 17 7:26 AM
far too much battles against ghosts without enough explanations of what to do!!! not for me

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Nov 8, 17 7:41 AM

This is one of the strangest games I've ever played, and quite frankly, I'm not sure how I feel about it!?! The plot reminds me of the Saw movies, because the main character is asked to do things that are potentially harmful, if he wants to save his wife. It's not really as gruesome, but there are some references of violence.

Confused? Me too! The graphics are strange and annoying with a constant flickering feature that's supposed to represent surveillance video footage, and that's without the optional "film grain" feature. The colors are all very basic, with hues of grayish green, but I'm okay with that because it helps set the atmosphere. The characters voices are atrocious, and the script is poorly translated. The game mechanics are slow and clunky, items often require you to click on a specific area. The hint system is basic and fairly worthless, the black bar tips are vague, and the map is as basic as they come. (it does however allow you to quickly jump to another area) The tutorial needs a tutorial to explain the tutorial! The Mini Games have the worse instructions I have ever seen.......and yet......

There's a certain appeal to this game. The lack of basics we've grown accustomed to, gives me the desire to continue. I'm not sure if this game is designed this way on purpose, to add more challenge, or if it's just another low budget introduction game, a one and done kind of game, created by a couple of guys one weekend. Just like a B rated movie you can't stop watching because you rationalize that it surely gets better, my mind keeps telling me to stick with it, surely it gets better.

The story begins with newlyweds, Faith and Tony, receiving an invitation to spend their honeymoon at the Creek Falls Mountain Resort. The invitation paints a picture of a beautiful, luxury hotel, and apparently they had made no other honeymoon plans, nor did they bother to do some research on Creek Falls, before packing their bags and heading for destination unknown! You guessed it, the actual resort looks nothing like the picture on the invitation, surprise! Things go from bad to worse, and Tony is faced with the reality that he must make life or death decisions, to rescue his wife from the former residents of Creek Falls. Let the games begin!

Bottom line is, this is a non-linear game with a very interesting story line. There is no hand holding, it took me a while to realize I had to exit the FROG to search for a sharp object and then return! The flashlight feature drove me nuts, and I nearly lost my mind trying to figure out the first Mini Game, because the instructions were so bad. (but I did eventually solve it!) This is the kind of game most will either love or despise. For me personally, I'm on the fence, I'm not sure I can put up with the flickering graphics, and horrible acting. On the other hand, there's something about the story line that urges me to return to Creek Falls to face my Hidden Fears!

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Nov 8, 17 8:18 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread for Hidden Fears! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on this game here. There are just a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Hidden Fears.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators. We'll be happy to assist in any way we can.

bfgArinelle

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Nov 8, 17 8:39 AM
Wow.....just wow....how bad can a game be?????

Takes forever to open, overloaded with cut scenes, tutorial is limpy and incomplete at best, HOPs are tiny items, mini game instructions were awful; I had lots of issues to pick up items I needed, the game mechanics need an overhaul. And to top it off that nonsense with those ghosts and the flashlight. And why is the map only usable part of the time???

There's also really not much to do . The ratio of cut scenes and game play should be the other way round.

I don't have a sensitivity to flashing lights but this game has so much of this even I felt uncomfortable.

I do like games that make you think and are non-linear but this one has nothing that appeals to me at all. Maybe if it would at at least work properly but such as it is? Pass.

I played the whole demo and didn't even get 30 minutes out of this.

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Nov 8, 17 10:06 AM
Didn't think I was doing too badly, then got to the ghost thing....WHAT IS THAT ABOUT?
The instructions are useless...I thought I had to click on the discs when they went green? It was blink and you miss it, tried following it around, next to impossible...stayed in the same place where it kept appearing, still no good...tried just randomly pressing the torch regardless of disc colour, nope, not working either
It looks like this is quite a feature running through the game as we encounter ghosts so for me it's uninstall and back to more run of the mill fare
I like to try new format games and have an interesting mix of stuff but this ghosty torchy thing just doesn't do it for me! good luck fishies!

pnk96722
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by pnk96722 on Nov 8, 17 11:27 AM
Haven't tried the game yet but on the game page in the description list it says, "Get ready to be scarred!"

Judging by the tech problems and the reviews, I'd say that was not a typo.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Nov 8, 17 11:28 AM
This could be a good game, but the moving screen precludes me from playing it. After about three minutes of rhe side to side motion, my motion sickness reflex kicked in.
As far as I could tell, the screen motion was just a cutesy gimmick and served no purpose to the game. Hopefully the developers will spend more time on the game and less on the gimmicks

[Post New]by bobtdog on Nov 9, 17 2:59 PM
Well, i decided to persevere with the game as i like this kind of stuff,its not easy and the instructions are useless as is the hint button, the battles with ghosts seem to be unwinnable but i stuck in there untill i got to the battle with the indian spirit thing and the game crashes ,its badly made and there is too much "interference"purporting to be surveillance camera type footage.This is probably one of the worst games BFG have released recently

gertie23
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by gertie23 on Nov 9, 17 3:47 PM
Horrible game! I lasted about 6 or 7 minutes and that was only because you can't skip the intro. Finally made it to the 'menu' page, created a profile, etc. Hit play and again took me to the hotel and the characters wouldn't stop talking (woman sounded like a valley girl from the 80's) and again no way to skip. I finally hit C/A/D and exited the game. This game is RUBBISH!

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Nov 10, 17 9:13 AM
Gotta say i agree with others. I didn't care for this game at all or how it played. It was frustrating is what it was. I was constantly wondering what i was suppose to be doing and why. The map was useless. then the constant cut scenes way too many of those. The game as a whole just didn't flow very well or the mechanics.

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on Nov 11, 17 10:19 PM
Strictly from the Way-Back Machine: very, very, very slow from the onset, with setting that is beyond dreary and stereotypic characters. In what year was this produced? Played it for the full hour, but it did not improve, unfortunately.

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Nov 12, 17 2:09 PM
played the whole darn thing...just ok

Go to: