Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: Behind the Veil Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 11, 17 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 11/11/2017 at 10:35:49 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: Behind the Veil Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Nov 11, 17 4:44 AM
Epix Devs are geniuses when it comes to the technical aspect of games but there story lines are weak! I keep saying find some good writers & they'd be the best out there! I do like Myths series! But no so creepy like this one. But if that's what your in to you'll like this one! Demo gives a good idea on story line!
HOs are good!
Color great!
Don't like mini games, never have, but Epix tends to go too deep w/ theirs! So I skip
99 outa 100. It does show there intelligence, I guess mine isn't that deep when it comes to gaming, I like to relax not burn my brain cells out! LOL

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Myths of the World: Behind the Veil Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by judy76073 on Nov 11, 17 5:06 AM
nanafraser wrote:Epix Devs are geniuses when it comes to the technical aspect of games but there story lines are weak! I keep saying find some good writers & they'd be the best out there! I do like Myths series! But no so creepy like this one. But if that's what your in to you'll like this one! Demo gives a good idea on story line!
HOs are good!
Color great!
Don't like mini games, never have, but Epix tends to go too deep w/ theirs! So I skip
99 outa 100. It does show there intelligence, I guess mine isn't that deep when it comes to gaming, I like to relax not burn my brain cells out! LOL

I'm with you, nanafraser - I play to relax - most mini games I tend to skip. I would rather just enjoy the story line, look for collectibles, morph items, etc, etc and go from scene to scene searching for things.

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Nov 11, 17 6:01 AM
I am the same as you too, which is why i appreciate it when a dev gives a quick skip button. Puzzles just make me want to pull my hair out and mini games every now and then if one interest me i will play it. I am more into the story and finding stuff myself. Not sure if i like this game or not, everything seems great just don't think it's my kinda story line though. It doesn't keep my interest

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Nov 11, 17 7:14 AM

Unlike yesterday's incredibly creative game, Behind the Veil won't overload your cerebral cortex, however, the occipital lobe is a whole different matter. I don't recall any Eipix game having such bright, beautifully vivid graphics. (perhaps my hippocampus needs some neuron stimulation) This is a very short demo too, I still had a half hour left on the demo clock!

I have to give these developer's credit, where credit is due. I think they are finally beginning to realize that we are no longer content to accept cookie cutter, sub par games, that are being released at a breakneck speed, with minimal attention being paid to the details, and with repetitive story lines that barely have a plot. In the past, it was difficult to tell one series from another offered by this dev, but the tides are turning, and it's clear to see they are trying to see what works and what doesn't. I think they are getting there, improving the graphics is a great start, but I think they are having difficulty leaping over the hurdle to create a different kind of "bad guy."

This game had promise, but in the end, it's just another floating spirit seeking revenge. In my opinion, the "bad guy" should never be revealed during the demo. Instead, the villain's character should be mysterious, and the plot should thicken just before the end of the demo, we should be left saying "I've got to find out who or what is responsible!"

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Nov 11, 17 7:18 AM
Game starts out with a few nonsensical mini games. Lost my interest immediately. If you like mini games, this is a game for you. At least you can choose to play the custom option and set the skip time way down and turn off the HOP penalty. Try it, you may like it. Not my cup of tea

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Nov 11, 17 9:27 AM
I gave the game 5 stars - for the demo! Had I played on, and met a talking skull and other features, I would have rated it down. But I was warned, what the developer had hidden behind the veil and only unpacked after the demo. Not fair.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Nov 11, 17 10:15 AM
@rainworm

I hate it when games take a compete 180 after the demo too. It's kind of like putting a quarter into the bubble gum machine that only shows pictures of the colorful bubble gum balls, but all you get is a plain ole white gum ball!

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Nov 11, 17 10:35 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Myths of the World: Behind the Veil Collector's Edition here. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread as the moderators will be removing any content that isn’t a review.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Myths of the World: Behind the Veil Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBeruna

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Nov 11, 17 11:53 AM
on the fence here fishies Loved the demo but reading about the continuing storyline I'm rather 50/50 about buying the game...There is a BOGOF this w/end, but I don't need another turkey in my coop....do turkeys live in coops?
(sorry, I digress as usual...)
I think I may succumb if nothing else rears its head, collector-wise...I do love a mini-game, a morphie and pretty graphics...I play for fun not brain-pain. Me job is enough thanks!!!!

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Nov 11, 17 12:48 PM
There are too many mini games/puzzles which I am not interested in wasting precious time with. It is distracting, tedious, frustrating and draining to be overwhelmed with them in games. Sometimes they are surely not good for one's self esteem. I skip them. From the extras I counted 21 mini games to 14 hops. The graphics are beautiful with extremely vibrant and festive colors. A great deal of effort went into its artistic creativity. I did enjoy the few hops I came across which were different and not your typical kind, although because of the bright colors, I did find some objects difficult to find. I liked the one with the stone...and that to me, was a combination of a mini game/hop, but was very creative.

I played the entire demo, but found myself getting bored with it...perhaps because of all of the scenes being the same bright colors. It has a tendency to make the scenes look too similar. Story line is ok, but appears to be slow moving. The game has a definite atmosphere to it...loved all the skeletons, It does have a different ambience to it, setting it apart from the other games coming out lately. Am undecided as to whether I am going to buy the CE or wait for the SE. Have not read any opinions as to whether this is CE worthy. The story line might not be all that great for some, but if you enjoy a different kind of game, overlook all of the mind bending mini games, then maybe it is the one for you. And if you are one who is into puzzle/mini games, then I think this would definitely be to your liking.

Decided no buy because of all the mini games/puzzles. I don't care at all to have an option to replay them or the hops in this game. Will wait for the SE, so I can look at the walkthrough.

Edited on 11/12/2017 at 8:24:14 PM PST

[Post New]by MaryCricket on Nov 11, 17 1:52 PM
I am so glad I read all the reviews, I love Myths of the World series have all of them, I wont buy this game until they have a 65% off, Like many of you I have played the demo and like it.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 11, 17 6:18 PM
Hello friends! As always, I review on the game play and seldom on the story line, as others do a much better job of that than I. Graphics are very nice, very clear, but I did notice a "wave" over the face of our heroine in close ups. As always, there is some blurring in the close ups as well, which seems to be the norm lately with all the games. Colors are beautiful, bright and true. Game play was excellent, with no problems during the demo, and the scenes fit my large screen quite nicely. Voices are very well done, and are age and character appropriate. They even show emotion and not just someone reading a script. Music was soothing and not intrusive. Sound FX were nice and fit whatever scene or area you were in at the time. Animation is smooth and quite realistic.

HOPs are varied, the scenes are fairly clear and items are not difficult to find. We do have morphing items in these HOPs, which I kept forgetting to look for. The HOPs seemed few and far between during the demo. Hopefully we will have more as the game progresses. You can switch to a match stones game, which is simply a match 3 game. Puzzles aren't difficult, although a couple took me longer than I expected them to. Don't know if it happens in every puzzle with multiple things to do, but in one puzzle, I was able to skip part without skipping the entire puzzle. That is a great feature for me. There is a jump map, but jumping was about all it was good for. When you click to open a picture in the map, it was a little blurry. The hint system is very helpful and it did transport to longer locations, which came in quite handy, since you do quite a lot of back tracking.

Collectibles are a bit disappointing again. All we have are 35 signs, which look like multi-colored scorpions. These are not as easy to see as you think. They have done a pretty nice job of hiding and blending them into the scenery. Still would have been nice to have something else as well.

This addition makes lucky number 13 in this series. I have all of the others, but not all are CE versions. This story reminded me a lot of the Cadenza series, which I love. Still, it is it's own story and is well done. The game is not really challenging, but it flows very well, so it is easy to follow and objectives are clear. The story was interesting enough to make me want to play it out and see where it goes. I think most levels of players will find this game worthy of a CE. Yes, I am going to add the CE to my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Nov 12, 17 7:43 AM
This game reminded me a lot of the Cadenza games, too. I own most of the Myths games but will not be adding this one. The defs put so much effort into the graphics but for me that's where it ends. It is way too linear and there is simply not much to do.

Athenatoo
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Athenatoo on Nov 15, 17 1:39 PM
Art is excellent albeit seriously creepy. I understand that this storyline is about the Day of the Dead (which is not my culture) but talking about dressing up as dead people and eating candy skulls was really hard to deal with. The story itself was good, and the journey to collect soulstones was well done. I am not a fan of having so many mini-games; a few are OK, but this was loaded with them. The HOPs were quite well done; finding objects was a good challenge!

A couple suggestions: a) add a "brightness" option under "custom"; (and don't call it "gamma", which has no meaning to non-graphic artists); b) make sure the "helpful text" actually makes sense in English (if English is the language of the game).

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Nov 27, 17 8:50 AM
I almost passed on this game because of the many puzzles but the cheerful graphics caught me so thank the powers that be for the quick skip button so I bought it. Entertaining, liked moving into various areas to find soul stones. I did notice that there were some puzzles with no skip (bells on the tree branch) with no skip available and the hint wasn't really helpful so I resorted to the SG and making a pic of the picture with my cell phone to figure it out. That takes the fun out of the game. You lose sight of your main goal when you have to go to such lengths to get past a very small puzzle. On another note the talking, painted skull was hilarious if you can forget he is a skull even if he is made out of sugar.

Go to: