Mare45
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

Index shows players

[Post New]by Mare45 on Nov 16, 17 12:38 PM
Was just scanning for a new game and noticed that it says over 7000 players in Rooms of Memory. I'm still getting message saying it's down. I'm confused

lorakeet
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

Re:Index shows players

[Post New]by lorakeet on Nov 16, 17 3:20 PM
Yeah, I don't get that either.

ratchetr
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by ratchetr on Nov 16, 17 5:25 PM
I'll take a stab at explaining this. Not sure if it will be understandable (or even 100% right). (And it is bound to be way too long).

There are still a lot of people playing. The game server(s) in Russia (or wherever they are) are still up and running.

What has changed is how we get to those servers via BFG.

Until recently, we used a link like this:
http://www.bigfishgames.com/online-games/23808/rooms-of-memory-free-to-play/index.html

If you try to use that link today, BFG sends you here instead:
https://www.bigfishgames.com/online-games/23808/rooms-of-memory-free-to-play/index.html

The difference is HTTP vs. HTTPS. I think most people know by now that the S in HTTPS stands for secure. And secure is better.

BFG is doing the right thing by forcing HTTPS. But there is a problem:

We don't really play this game on a BFG server, we play it on a playme8 server somewhere in Russia (or wherever).

Buried somewhere in the BFG page for ROM is a request to load the real game from:
http://<link to external site>

Here you have a secure site (BFG) trying to load stuff from an ordinary, insecure HTTP site. This is called 'Mixed Content'.

Modern web browsers try really hard to protect us from this situation, for good reason. If this was your banking site, would you want some arbitrary code from Russia (or wherever) looking over your shoulder while you pay your bills? Me neither.

Depending on what browser you use, accessing 'Mixed Content' may be trivial, or (maybe) impossible. Comments on how to do this for IE and Chrome have been posted on other threads. The BFG game manager is working for some people as well.

So, those 7,000 people playing either have old enough browsers where the effort is trivial, or they deliberately configured the browser to ignore the risk.

Is it safe to play?

I can't answer that, I can only offer my personal opinion. We are still connecting to the real game server using HTTP just like we always have. It's a game, not your bank. I am willing to take the risk (because why shouldn't I trust playme8 and their insecure servers in Russia or wherever....OH, WAIT..What?)

Sorry, that was way too long an explanation.

ETA: removed link to external site at request of moderator.

Edited on 11/17/2017 at 2:55:21 PM PST

Mare45
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by Mare45 on Nov 16, 17 8:52 PM
Well ratchetr, I really appreciate your comments but I guess to make a long story short we are hooped until BFG gets it straightened out. I hope I don't loose all my friends in the process. Hopefully some of them will read these comments and see that I am blocked out.

Phoebe1157
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Phoebe1157 on Nov 17, 17 6:40 AM
Thank you ratchetr... I didn't think your explanation was to long it was perfect. I was thrilled to be able to get back into playing the game I will say I do worry a bit more about a virus but.. hoping I and others will be okay

Thanks Again
Happy Gaming...

[Post New]by tthompson12 on Nov 17, 17 12:18 PM
Thank you for the explanation as to why this no longer works. Yesterday, and the day before I was able to access this using Chrome (as posted in another thread). Something must have changed because today I am unable to load it and the little shield icon on the top right corner is no longer there...? So now I am stuck and left out of the game. Hopefully this will become resolved soon.

4253dmale
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by 4253dmale on Nov 18, 17 5:12 AM
I also continue to play. I don't really think it's necessary for me to have a secure game. If Experion can loose all my credit info, I can't believe I have any threat of losing important data through BFG. And thanks to Ratchtr I was able to get on with Chrome for a few days, which enabled me to see my chest. I was hopeful I could play magician's guild games, but there didn't seem to be enough people playing to find a competitor. Then yesterday, like tthompson12, Chrome didn't have the little shield icon for running unsafe scripts. Now I'm back to playing on IE11.

ratchetr
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by ratchetr on Nov 18, 17 6:22 PM
Just to follow up on my last post:
It looks like a change was made Friday to load the game from playme8 using https. And, it looks like playme8 has set up there server to accept HTTPS (fairly sure it didn't earlier in the week).

But-- Now things start to load using HTTPS, but the code then tries to load some additional stuff...using HTTP still. So it still fails.

I believe this is why Chrome and BFG game manager stopped working. Not sure why Chrome doesn't allow an override in this scenario, but it doesn't.

So it looks like the only options left are to use IE and click the 'Show all content' button.
Or wait..............

Trying to be optimistic here: I think it's a good sign that playme8 has apparently made changes to try to fix this. They just aren't done yet. But I'm guessing they aren't pulling all nighters this weekend to try to get it resolved

[Post New]by musicdancer on Nov 18, 17 7:19 PM
like your way of thinking Ratchetr!
I will wait till they resolve it though.

missourigem
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by missourigem on Nov 18, 17 7:51 PM
Yes ratchetr... you have it exactly! IE override or wait... appreciate all your time in explaining... you did an excellent job. Thanks.

draeko1
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by draeko1 on Nov 19, 17 2:22 AM
Thanks for suggestions but I can't get ie to load even after allowing all content. I am stuck in the same boat as everyone else. SIGH!

afspam
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
468 Posts

[Post New]by afspam on Nov 19, 17 5:15 AM
It really doesn't make any sense to me that the theory is the developers were having us play a non-secure version of the game.

Especially since, as mentioned in another post, when you play the version on playme8 it loads as https.

Phoebe1157
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Phoebe1157 on Nov 20, 17 3:03 AM
I had problems with IE and Chrome but.... Firefox works

Energyworker
Herring
Herring
335 Posts

[Post New]by Energyworker on Nov 20, 17 4:45 AM
I'm on Firefox and it's not loading for me.

[Post New]by gengen1273 on Nov 20, 17 12:55 PM
i cannot get on either playing on tablet omg having bad withdawls lol please neighbors don't delete me hopefully they will get it fixed soon

Go to: