gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Mystic Diary: Lost Brother Review and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 10, 10 9:25 AM
This is the Catch of the Week for this week - that is, current price is $2.99. After playing the demo, I bought it. Better than today's TGT, but that's not saying much .

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

Re:Mystic Diary: Lost Brother Review and Comments

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on May 10, 10 2:31 PM
Thanks for posting a "Comments and Review" thread, gimmegames. I demoed this game when it came out last year but I forgot what it was like. I just now downloaded it again but my trial time has expired so do I buy it for the $2.99 DD and hope I like it and hope it plays on my computer right? I guess for $2.99 I can't go wrong. I just hope will be willing to exchange it if I can't get it to play. I wish would give us 15 to 30 minutes to try older games again so we can make sure they will still work.

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on May 10, 10 3:46 PM
I faintly remember the demo but then again,I demo a lot of games here.I think I'm gonna give this a shot at $2.99

catscat
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,293 Posts

[Post New]by catscat on May 10, 10 5:48 PM
I vaguely remembered demoing this last year when it came out, but didn't buy at that time. Now thanks to having done a complete install awhile back of Win 7, I get to try older games again. Great for those that I can't remember if I liked or not, or maybe I was just too broke at that time to buy.

Anyway, this one is pretty easy, good for a beginner. It pretty much walks you through each step like handholding. Most search scenes seem to be by shape rather than than list. You basically are going to pick up everything in the scene, but not till it's shape is shown. Shapes of items are oriented correctly, so if there are more that are similar, as shells, you can pick the right one. It doesn't seem to care if you click all over repeatedly. You can turn off the custom curser. Hint refills fairly quickly. There is lots of reading the journal. Music and sound effects are not annoying. You also combine somethings in inventory by just putting one on the other.

It's OK for 2.99, but not much challenge for a seasoned player. I'm not sure how long it is as I haven't looked at a walkthrough. In 45 minutes I am at a temple of sorts after dynamiting a cave.

Happy gaming
Penny

silkywings
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,043 Posts

[Post New]by silkywings on May 10, 10 10:33 PM
Your Catch of the Week was very satisfying and the taste was superb. I am so glad I went fishing today...I really enjoy this game. I only played 20 minutes because when I know I will buy a game I want to be surprised when I start playing it after the demo. Thanks again for a super catch!

Ridnhi
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by Ridnhi on May 11, 10 8:21 PM
I tried the game...liked it and bought it. I'm well into it and very satisfied with the game and the price. Its past my bedtime but I hated to stop. Don't know how much longer the game is but you can't go wrong for the price. Its not too hard for a relaxed evening of hidden objects and puzzles. For you old timers who like a real challenge it will probably be too easy. For me, who has only begun with these adventure type games with lots of hidden objects, its great. I'm amazed that BF can keep giving us such a good price on these games. YEA...! BIG FISH!!!!

Doggy_lover
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by Doggy_lover on May 12, 10 3:25 PM
Short comment: Well worth $2.99, everyone should at least try the demo.

Long comment: The game has fun hidden object scenes and the graphics are very clear, which is a big plus. There is some inventory/item usage, for the IHOG fans. ^_^ I'm only a little ways into the game, so I'm not sure how long it is. But it doesn't take long to figure out whether a casual game is worth three bucks or not, unless of course you finish the game within the demo time.

So far the minigames are way too easy, though. The people who I can imagine would dislike this game are those who absolutely HAVE to have a challenge, or those who are just so good at HOGs that this would be too easy for them and they'd breeze through it. Those who would get the most out of this game are those who are new to HOGs because of the gentle difficulty level. I like the nice change of pace. It's easy, relaxing fun!

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on May 13, 10 8:59 AM
Just finished, and it's neat that the game keeps track of your playing time,
so I can report that this slow old lady got 7+ hours of enjoyment.
Now, I do read everything, admire the graphics, play all the minis
and really try to find that last little teeny-tiny without using a hint.
Lest I mislead you, very, very few are tiny, but sometimes tiny and
well-hidden are too much for me. I, too found the minis fairly easy, but
I did skip 2 which I will catch on the replay.

A real winner at Catch of the Week, but would have been worth full
price for me. Looking forward to a sequel.

S_Sorcha
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by S_Sorcha on May 13, 10 9:25 AM
Demoed the game since it's the weekly deal. I wasn't very impressed. I was just finishing Level 9/13 (based on walkthru) when my hour ended. It's not that I don't like shadow games or short games, I just found it tooooo easy. You didn't even have to look at the shadows, you could just click...it was intuitive to the scene. The cursor was also a bit of a pain...on smaller objects you have to kind of click below the item to get it. It has nice graphics and the story line is fairly interesting, but for me it's a no go.
Glad other people are enjoying it though...keep swimming Fishies!!

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on May 14, 10 1:42 AM
Itsupikachu wrote:Thanks for posting a "Comments and Review" thread, gimmegames. I demoed this game when it came out last year but I forgot what it was like. I just now downloaded it again but my trial time has expired so do I buy it for the $2.99 DD and hope I like it and hope it plays on my computer right? I guess for $2.99 I can't go wrong. I just hope will be willing to exchange it if I can't get it to play. I wish would give us 15 to 30 minutes to try older games again so we can make sure they will still work.

Picman said the devs won't agree to it when I asked the same thing b/c I remember demo'ing this & that's about it, not a clue otherwise.

Dynastia
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Dynastia on May 14, 10 6:14 AM
I played the demo.

It is a fun game but I see no replay value. Not a buy for me.

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by CiCiRR on May 14, 10 6:44 AM
I bought the $2.99 game - and I'm glad I didn't pay more. My comment - "Where's the beef?" Way too easy, even for beginners.

lizinfl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by lizinfl on May 15, 10 8:12 PM
This game is ok... you don't have to go looking for things to make other things occur like the new orleans theme hidden object game. it's a fast game, the only down fall is the list of items to find is just an outline, if it was solid color or the word like is "Love & Death - Bitten" it would be easier to find the objects. the mini puzzles are easy. this game was ok - as a mom of a 2 1/2yr old and a 8mo old, i dont have time for story lines and guessing what is supposed to occur, if you have a coupon use it....full price, the you can wait till it's on sale, not worth the full game price. graphics are good though.

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on May 15, 10 9:53 PM
Everyone is complaining about this game.Why? Based on the new releases lately it's not a bad choice.I have it I like it. It's not that bad.I've sure played worse.Just never went to the message board of that game and said that.

Deeisme
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by Deeisme on May 15, 10 10:11 PM
I, for one, will NOT brag about being GREAT with all my 'hidden Object' games, but this one bored me to TEARS....I shall wait untill BFG offers this game for 99 cents, then, and ONLY THEN, I shall buy it! Sorry, BFG, NO prize, this time, anyway!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 15, 10 10:23 PM
The lists are mixed, some are words, some are shapes. I do prefer games that give an option on hints, I think Return of Monti Cristo was one, maybe Sleepy Hollow too, or Cassandra series on hints. Words are left brain, shapes are right brain, when I get stumped on a word and can't find it, then switch to a shape and it pops right out of the screen at me. Maybe because I have "artist's eyes". Everything we see is made up of shapes, just how your brain is wired which is easier. I think shapes are great for non English speaking players, and kids.

Replay, items needed to interact never do, you need those, but I'm quite sure lists do for hogs, I've enjoyed replaying several times when it was new. Just the right length and fair difficulty for me and wonderful art. Many items never seen in other games of genre. If you don't like shapes challenge yourself, you'll be exercising your right brain and become more intuitive

Easttboy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Easttboy on May 16, 10 5:34 PM
Liked the demo. It's on my list of games to get...

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on May 22, 10 1:17 AM
It was easy, the mini games always show you the way to finish them.. too easy and I like easy!!

But I could not wait to be done it was sooooooooooooooo boring!! Cheesy story..not much to it too. I guess it was worth the 2.99 for a punch.. sooo glad I didn't pay full price for this one. I fell asleep playing it twice..I bet if I had not I could have blazed through it in an hour and I also like to take my time and read the story lines.. not this guy.. his clothes looked like the came straight out of Prince's (Or the artist formally known as and is a weird symbol now!) closet! and the concern he had for getting them dirty was stupid. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaddd plot! No penalties for clicks so I quit looking at the outline of objects that looked like blobs anyway about halfway thru and just clicked anything I saw..some items blended in by color, unlimited hints but the refill was slow....just an annoying and very very VERY boring game!

Edited on 05/22/2010 at 1:19:40 AM PST

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on May 25, 10 5:11 PM
I bought the game when it was a deal-of-the-week and played it with my kids (ages 14, 11, and 7). They loved it; I thought it was just ok. I think it was worth the $3 I paid for it, but I'm glad I didn't buy it at full price.

grover3e
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by grover3e on Jun 7, 10 3:33 PM
Bought for $2.99. Barely worth it. It took me forever to finish, cause I was so bored with it. Overall game play time was 2 hours, 14 minutes (it tells you at the end of the game). Bleh.

One and a half of five stars.

Go to: