Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark City: London Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 30, 17 12:37 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 11/30/2017 at 8:14:17 AM PST

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark City: London Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Nov 30, 17 1:55 AM
Based on the demo: The only truly noteworthy thing about this demo, for me, was getting only a 60 minute one, as opposed to the 90 which has become standard fare. I was also able to download this game in only half the time usually required to download a CE, & the mini-games in this demo seemed designed to chew up time, which led me to wonder if this game was on the short side, hence the 60 minute demo. However, I've since learned that my experience in that regard was an exception to the rule, & others s/b getting the 90 minute demo, as per usual.

I personally didn't find this demo to be rewarding to play, for several reasons: The HOPs are all straight lists; the mini-games are time consuming w/o being (to me) very rewarding; & if the character representing me, as the player, in a game is said to be a detective, I would like to be allowed to have to detect something. In this demo, the detecting & deducing are done for you; it's used as a means of conveying the storyline. The only involvement on the part of the player is playing a small HOP.

If you're a fan of straight list HOPs, based on the demo, you will get an abundance of them in this game. This is also a good game if you prefer easier mini-games. It is an excellent game if you want every last detail of what to do, when to do it, & what to do it w/ spelled out for you.

If you're a fan of this dev & have hankered for a game that follows in the footsteps of their other games, where gameplay is concerned, but in a somewhat different sort of setting, this game may be just the thing, as it does seem somewhat darker. Also (SPOILER ALERT, though only a small one, & hopefully therefore forgivable if you read it w/o intending to), I have to admit, the cat in the net w/ the sausage was cute. (Seriously.) And whether, having used said sausage to obtain said cat, I would then trot it around w/ me on the off chance that I might need it to chase away some overly-aggressive fish in an overgrown fountain so that I can pilfer the coins isn't particularly germane. I've lugged around ladders & even small bridges before, so a sassy, sausage-battened little kitty should be no problem.

This obviously isn't a game for me, but I recommend doing the demo if you think it may be for you. Happy gaming, all.

ETA: You're a guy this time.

Edited on 11/30/2017 at 7:21:42 AM PST

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Nov 30, 17 2:00 AM
Well this game has a different type of game play than we are used to. Personally, I am intrigued. There were a couple of typos that I noticed. One was in the "deduction mode" or whatever the eye in the triangle in the bottom corner is called, which is a HOS. It was towards the end of the demo where you click on the gazebo. One of the items listed was a chair, when actually it was supposed to be a chain. The other was at the end of the demo when we were supposed to look for Cooper, but it was spelled Copper. Other than that, I had no tech errors with the game. This game has several modes of gathering clues. That was the part that intrigued me, there was always some sort of search or puzzle happening, rapidly one after the other. There are collectible dominos as well as two morphs per scene, a plus in my book. The one thing that sort of confused me about the story is that this clock maker placed this curse right before he died, but his death was sudden beheading after falling into the clock gears. Not much time to place a curse, but I guess it works. Like I said, I found the game intriguing, and am going to buy.

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Nov 30, 17 4:43 AM
I'm not into ghosts so I played whole demo to see if headless man is just a ruse! It might be! So I purchased it! I may just be desperate for a new HO game since I wait 5 days for one & am running out of replaying my older games. I'll get back to forums to see if I'm right or wrong!
Everything else about game is well made HO scenes, mini games aren't to tough so far you don't need to do any mathematical problems to figure them out, graphics are great, but that's what I like about 4Friends Games! The voice of detective has been used in there other games, but its pleasant so I'm cool w/ it! So Ill see!

Edited on 11/30/2017 at 5:07:18 AM PST

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Nov 30, 17 8:13 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread for Dark City: London Collector's Edition! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on this game here. There are just a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark City: London Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators. We'll be happy to assist in any way we can.

bfgArinelle

mcquigan
Clownfish
Clownfish
726 Posts

... REVIEWS for Dark City: London, Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by mcquigan on Nov 30, 17 8:35 AM

Details, the devil is in the details.

As Squirrelgirl pointed out there were a couple of typos

There was a puzzle where you needed to look for five clocks, one of these was actually an hour glass; I really dislike mis-clicks and spent my time futilely looking for a fifth clock.

In an HO at the circus a monkey isn’t considered part of "a circus related item" but one scene later you have a monkey in a cage to play a game with.

I always go for 100 percent accuracy as quickly as I can and find looking for morphing objects within HOPS distracting. I really enjoyed the morphing objects being outside of them for that reason.

While It seemed like a map wasn’t really needed (you arrive everywhere you need to be and are within one click of having what you need) it was nice to double check and see if I had all the morphing objects and tiles; I forget from one scene to the next sometimes :-) so I appreciated that very much.

I don’t mind the old fashioned graphics at all; they were well done.

Wasn’t that the shoeshine boy from Sherlock?

I have to wonder if Nextgengranny didn't mail it regarding the 60 minute demo. Or, this was a much older game that originally had a 60 minute demo and they scrubbed the code and added new elements. Update: I played this for about 20 minutes last night and then deleted it. After reading the reviews I downloaded it again, it said I still had 57 minutes so I think there is a glitch regarding game play time.

I like a challenging game so this isn’t for me. People who want to kick back, relax and not think too hard will probably enjoy it.

Edited on 11/30/2017 at 8:41:29 AM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Nov 30, 17 9:20 AM

When Big Ben's cursed chimes play, London's sky will burn, the waters of the Thames river will rise and boil, the moon will eclipse to bring forth the Headless Clockmaker to herald the apocalypse of Death! The Headless Clockmaker will spare no one, his fury is fueled by revenge. His vengence is an unquenchable thirst, a thirst for blood from those responsible for his families demise. How can you stop a force as powerful as a dead man's sorrow?

Welcome to London Detective, what a case! Not only are you tasked with finding the jealous culprit responsible for the clockmaker and his son's death, but also with solving a supernatural case of a curse as well! Is someone trying to sabotage the unveiling of Big Ben, or has the clockmaker indeed, risen from the grave to enact the unthinkable?

You're a Detective, one of London's finest, so you won't be needing a puppet on a pillow, a scarecrow kid with glowing eyeballs, a mysteriuos device that checks the room for glowing orbs, or even a supernatural pair of glasses that let you see past events. Nope, you get to use a case file journal, and good ole' investigative reasonings and deductions! Hmf, imagine that! You don't even have to trace an imaginary symbol without going outside of the line, to draw a conclusion, hmf, imagine that too!

Oh, this game is looking better and better to me, 4 Friends has included Morphing Objects and collectible Dominoes in every scene, and sometimes more than one in this Collector's Edition! There is a pull out tab on the left of the screen that tells you how many of each remain, AND they unlock special bonuses and games. Move over E, I've got a new best Friend 4ever, and they don't think it's too much work to offer Morphing Objects in every scene vs. only within a handful of HOP's, and collecting and playing dominoes is way cooler than finding the same old sign over and over in every single game.

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Nov 30, 17 2:03 PM
Its not as creepy as ones might think! Pretty good game too!!!

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Nov 30, 17 2:11 PM
Yes, a nice game. Been whiling away the afternoon and enjoying it. Graphics are great, v/o also great, background music very unobtrusive.

For the way I like to play the HOPA games, this one suits me quite fine.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Nov 30, 17 3:42 PM
Could only play 15 min of the demo before I had to leave this tedious, boring, monotonous game.

Graphics are amateurish & in some instances crudely drawn.

Mini games are another example of the same old thing. Nothing new or original is offered. I couldn't make myself finish the first HOG as it was just another jumbled nonsensical mess.

Do not understand how these mediocre rehashed games garner so many stars & ecstatic reviews. So try the demo for yourself & see if the enthusiasm hits you or not!!!

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Nov 30, 17 3:58 PM
Played 40 minutes...that's it. Didn't care for this one at all. The graphics were dark and the story uninteresting. There were too many time consuming puzzles which I skipped. I didn't like the black and white or sketch hos...or word ones or finding an amount of items. They were poorly done. Thought it was amusing to need to find a zipper pull in the list hos. The creativity and emphasis was more on puzzles.

It was depressing to see someone killed under a bell. All I wanted to do was get him out....and I never heard of a cat liking sausage either. I don't care for acting as a police officer fighting with anyone or making arrests. Hand cuffing the kid in the carriage was when I had enough. Too much of that in real life and it is not entertaining to me.

Scenes were depressive and I had a difficult time seeing the collectibles because of the scenes being dark and not very clear due to the poor coloring. The extras include replay of mini games/puzzles and hos. I wouldn't even consider wanting to replay any of them....or continuing on with this game. It was boring and stupid.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 30, 17 8:06 PM
Hello friends! As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story line to those who can do a much better job on it than. Where do I start with this game? The graphics are excellent, very clear and clean. I really like how the dev incorporated a cartoon-like graphic to tell the story and background of what is happening, and included HOPs in them as well. Colors are bright and true, but not over powering. Game play was awesome and perfect, with no glitches or bumps along the way. Animation is very smooth and realistic in all aspects of play. Voices are extremely well done, being age and character appropriate. Unlike some other games, we actually have different voices for the characters. They all have very realistic emotions, and not just someone reading a script. You can click through most dialog, if you read faster than they speak, and you won't miss any important information. Sound FX are throughout the game and very well done. Music is soothing until that "edge of your seat" moment is about to happen. Very nice.

HOPs are exceptionally well done, very different. You often have puzzles within the HOP. Scenes are very clear and items are not difficult to find, but you do have to work for some of it. We have a combination of highlighted words, interactive HOPs, and items related to other items. I love HOP games and I have never seen HOPs this well put together, nor this much fun. I did not see that you could switch to something else, but I really wouldn't want to either. Puzzles are interesting, fun and challenging. Most take a bit of brain power to complete, not a lot, but they do take a little time. You do a lot of back tracking, but not really any long distance. I got so engrossed in the game that I didn't even look at the map. Hint system is quite helpful, but I don't recall a transport feature during the demo.

Collectibles are not what they could have been, but still very nicely done. We have to find 28 skull dominoes. These can be challenging, as some are quite small and easy to overlook. We also have 31 morphing items within the scenes. Some have more than one and have a very subtle morph, making them often hard to spot.

I really like this type of game, putting together clues and evidence to figure out who is doing what and why. Exceptionally well done! I seldom give a game 5 stars, as it must be exceptional throughout to get them from me. That said, I have not seen a game this good in a very long time. The story is similar to other detective stories, but still different. I got caught up in it very quickly, and was quite disappointed when the demo ended. This dev has spent a lot of quality time on this one and put out an excellent game. I believe all levels of players will find this one entertaining and challenging. Yes, I am adding this one to my collection and I am giving it 5 stars!

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think we all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Dec 2, 17 10:53 AM
Just a quick gripe.....(not about the game, yet!)
Fire hydrants have never been used in Britain (England etc) EVER....and certainly wouldn't be during the Victorian era, if this is when it's supposed to be set!
I found it a bit weird that all these people were milling around with a dead guy under a bell right in front of them...no wonder the girl was crying...what sort of parents are they?
Anyhow, I have a sneaking suspicion I may buy this, morphies and collectables always make me happy, so all I need to do is make sure the storyline is good (mixed results in so far!)

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Dec 6, 17 7:12 AM
just a short review. i loved this game. so much different than other games. a buy for me.

kloanne
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by kloanne on Dec 8, 17 4:23 PM
So far I'm enjoying it! Yes, some of it is pretty easy and linear, but I like the story line and the graphics, and enjoy the HOPs. The mini-games are generally easy, but some of them are different from the usual. Glad I bought it!

[Post New]by MaryCricket on Dec 10, 17 10:37 AM
This is a really good, I becoming to like this Developers, two games, two hits in row,
This game is so good I plain on playing it again, I like everything about this game

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Dec 21, 17 7:31 AM
They sure do make good and fun games. I Love the throwback to Living Legends and Bridge to Another World. They're posters by the ticket counter. They make fun games for fun people. I didn't find this game super easy, just fun. I think serious people always have to shoot down fun things because their serious mind won't allow them to have fun.
That's why they say they can't believe people chose and want fun. Grannies. This is a 33 five star winner.

This game doesn't do everything for you! Don't believe it. They do have a expert setting if needed. I don't know why some experts don't use the expert setting. The Hops category isn't suppose to be head cracking hard. It's suppose to be relaxing.

Edited on 12/22/2017 at 6:08:52 AM PST

Go to: