Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: A Lover's Pledge Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Dec 2, 17 12:43 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 12/02/2017 at 10:33:51 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: A Lover's Pledge Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Dec 2, 17 6:06 AM
Its OK to pass the time, not the kinda game you look forward getting back to! Not sure about the ghost thing if its a ruse? If I did purchase it, it would be SE.
This is not a put down to others who like this sort of thing just my likes!
I think its made well! Don't too keen on repetitive lines like, "Suppose we should move along" Or map tells you your already in a area rather then just going back to area like other games have started to do! You'd think w/ the good technical aspect of the game they could modern it up a bit! I have I think I have most of the "Danse Macabre" games & I play lots of my older games, but not these!

Edited on 12/02/2017 at 6:09:05 AM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: A Lover's Pledge Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Dec 2, 17 7:25 AM

This game is so boring I don't even know what the story is about! Through sheer boredom, I either muddled through the demo on autopilot, or they have done a terrible job of relaying the plot. A Lover's Pledge? I met two women and a ghost in the demo, Julia Belmont and Clementine Lambert. The third character, Andrea Belmont had already committed suicide, so who pledged their love to whom is a mystery to me! One things for sure, I'm a Master Costume Designer, how exciting.

Danse Macabre is sliding down a slippery slope, one game at a time. The first few games in the series were really good, and they received a 4.4 average rating. By 2016 they slipped under the 4 star ratings, and by the end of 2017 the games are nearing the base of the slope as they dip dangerously close to average ratings below 3 stars. The truth of the matter is that this dev produces nothing but cookie cutter games, same story, same HOP's, same MG's, same Hidden Signs, same features, same graphics.

Lover's Pledge has everything you'd expect, it's predictable, it's just more of the same with a different title. Of course this Collector's Edition has 30 Hidden Signs, all Eipix games have Hidden Signs, and it's a feature that becomes so boring to look for after just a few scenes, that you don't care if you look for them or not. There's no challenge in finding them, they stick out like a sore thumb, and they aren't used for anything, they don't unlock special features, they just are what they are, "here's your sign". Other than a handful of Wallpapers and a Strategy Guide (which you won't need, it's an easy game) the only bling you get with this CE version are those signs, unless you count a Bonus Chapter as a plus. (which surely is just another chapter of boredom)

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Dec 2, 17 7:55 AM
Boring? Hm, yes. Must admit, wasn't blown away but didn''t expect to be. The first 2 games in this series were good. Then, as you say pennmom, the cookie cutter devil came up and I lost interest.

But I have read, this game is the last one, so I played the demo. Of course, sort of love story, only this time the lovers are dead already. The man, we see in the intro, was apparently killed in the ambush at the station and Andrea, who committed suicide, seems to have done so, because of her broken heart. When we arrive at the theatre, Andrea's sister (twin sister?)Julia is determined to perform in honor of the dead. Not too easy for her, as a colleague and a ghost are not too keen on her performance.
Julia thinks, we are a master costume designer, so she lets us mend her dress, but it is open, if we really are one. Nevertheless, we do the dress job and behind the stage we learn about strange things going on at the theatre. According to rumors, there is paranormal activity at work. Do we believe it? Not really, as we find the colleague Clementine dead in the instrument chamber, killed. But when Julia is drawn up to the catwalk by the cable winch for requisites, we are confronted with the ghost.
He is clearly after Julia, who he apparently mistakes for her dead sister........
Try it, if you like. HOS and puzzles were the usual fare for this series, so nothing breathtaking or especially creative.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Dec 2, 17 9:02 AM
Based only on the demo: I found this to be absolutely fascinating! You do need to take the few seconds necessary to read the dialogue and an occasional item that you find with information about the story to really understand the plot, however.

The music is very pleasant and appropriate, the mini-games are imaginative and have very clear instructions, there are collectibles in most, if not all, scenes and the HOS are varied and quite creative. The collectibles are musical notes and some take a bit of searching to find, but others are right out in the open. There is a ghost, but at least during the demo, it wasn't at all terrifying; just a bit threatening once or twice.

My one point of irritation is one that I have joined many others in asking this dev to change for a very long time: when the map is open and we click on our current location, the map should simply close rather than saying, "I'm already there." All other devs that design this type of game long since made that change and players are much happier about it. This is the only reason I gave this game four, not five, stars.

This will be one of the two CE's I purchase this weekend during the sale. (I have two GCC's saved and this is a great time to use them!)

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Dec 2, 17 10:33 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Danse Macabre: A Lover's Pledge Collector's Edition here. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread as the moderators will be removing any content that isn’t a review.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Danse Macabre: A Lover's Pledge Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBeruna

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Dec 2, 17 12:38 PM
This is one of the worst games. I lasted 40 minutes in the demo and definitely will not be buying this even as a SE. The graphics were not up to standards and boring as well as the game play and tasks. The 2 hos were horrendous...repairing a dress and the other moving coats back and forth...and back and forth. I had a hard time getting the jet out of the coat pocket in that second hos. It was totally tedious game play. The only thing I enjoyed was the maze mini game...that's it. It's like no one was really interested in putting any effort into this game.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Dec 2, 17 1:10 PM
as a few others have said, this is certainly not the most exciting game I've played. I have quite enjoyed the Danse Macabre series of games, however, glad to know that this will be the last of the series. Nothing spectacular at all, I found quite a few of the scenes to be quite dark and many of the collectible notes I found were very difficult to find as they were very dark on a dark background (had to resort to using the guide). AND, not even any morphing items.

The hidden object scenes were very short and quite humdrum.

I bought it to pass away a Saturday afternoon, in between doing laundry and cleaning - and I just needed a new game to play.

Will have to wait now until next Thursday for (hopefully) an exciting CE game. In between will have to replay some of my older games.

Oh well - I guess we can't always get what we want. Happy Saturday, all !

60schild
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by 60schild on Dec 2, 17 2:09 PM
Valdy wrote:Over the last month, from early November to early December, Eipix has given us 5 games. So, perhaps it's no wonder that something has been lacking lately in their games. I remember when a developer took a year to make a game. Now it's like they are coming from an assembly line.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 2, 17 4:13 PM
Hello friends! As always, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story line to those who can do a much better job than I. The graphics in this game were very nice in long distance scenes, but were quite blurry in the close up and cut scenes. They seem to have gotten worse with this game. Colors are bright and clear, but that doesn't help much. Game play was very good and I had no problems during the demo. Voice overs weren't bad, but not a lot of character interaction, which definitely helps you really get into a game. Not much in the way of sound FX either, so this game was pretty quiet, except for the music. Animation was quite good, with eye and facial movements.

HOPs are a combination of interactive lists and riddles. Items were fairly easy to spot, and again, some scenes were a bit cluttered. You can switch to a match 3 if you prefer. Puzzles are the same as always and are fairly simple as well. Hint system is usually helpful, but sometimes just tells you to move on. We do have the transport feature for long distance travel to other locations. Yes, there is a lot of backtracking. The jump map was quite boring and not very helpful, except to jump to a location. Easier and faster to just use the transport. Someone really got lazy with this one.

Collectibles are 30 musical notes, large and easy to spot. The game definitely needed something more in this department. Collectibles were very disappointing.

When I beta tested it, it seemed a lot more fun, but fell way short today. I was surprised at the extremely short demo as well. Hard to get into a game when it only lasts 30 minutes. This addition was not challenging at all, the story moved very slowly and often left you wondering what you are doing and why. It got to the point where I felt like I was just running back and forth. Not enough action or character interaction to keep you interested. Story could have been really nice, but without voices and sound FX, it just sort of slowed down to a crawl and became boring. It just did not flow very well. I really liked this series, but the last few have been very disappointing. I really do not feel this one is CE worthy. It would probably be a nice game for a beginner, but not for a seasoned gamer. I often find that a CE makes a better SE game, but I'm not sure about this one. Without extras, it's just a walk-though. I will recommend this one for beginners or those of us who just want a simple easy game now and then...I have a number of those. Unfortunately, not a buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Dec 2, 17 10:16 PM
I was hoping that this edition would be as good as the previous ones, but sadly, this was not the case. The storyline was confusing, my character was mistaken for a seamstress (or is that what my character actually is? I have no idea.), and there was a lot of running back and forth without doing much to progress in the game.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Dec 3, 17 7:43 AM
I agree with Thistle809. This game looks lovely. I want to buy it this weekend too. I have all the other Danse Macabre. I wouldn't mind being a dressmaker because I have made plenty of dresses. The dressing room has nice furniture and lovely wallpaper. It's so pretty to look at. I liked the 4 hops in the trial and the puzzles too.

I thought Eipix always had morphs in their hops and they didn't here. I hope this isn't the last game in the series.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Dec 3, 17 8:26 AM
The things that put me off this game the most were the complete abandonment of any time sense and lack of real understanding of the milieu the game is set in. It looks like it's supposed to be mid-19th century, based on the red dress Julia's wearing, but we encounter: a bright red light (meaning electricity) on a train at the beginning; Julia's long flowing hair which would belong to a woman from the mid-late 20th c. to the present; light bulbs; a dummy seated for some reason in the orchestra seats, dressed in a World War II costume; an airplane icon in a HOP; mid-20th century high heels; a wig from the late 19th-early 20th century (Gibson Girl) on a wig base from the 1950's or '60's or thereabouts; a wire cello string, and a closet of costumes ranging from early 20th century woman's dress to another World War II uniform. In addition we have this odd gizmo for marking rehearsal times, which include a 30 minute time slot for a dress rehearsal and a time slot for a singing rehearsal with an icon of a woman holding a mic; using a seam ripper to retrieve an object caught in the laces at the back of a dress by cutting the laces, then finishing the bizarre dress repair, completely ignoring that when Julia tries to put that dress on, it won't stay on because the laces were cut, but clearly the game makers didn't think that through. The dressmaker has a bunch of activities expected of her which dressmakers would never do. No one else is in the opera house but her, Julia and Clementine, although we're supposed to be surrounded by a bustle of activity, which seems to include a ballet corps (missing). Epix made this, you can see by the nice color and design, but with absolutely no sense of time and place, and not much understanding about mounting a production. A dress rehearsal means you run the entire play/production in costume. Everywhere I went I bumped into more anomalies, and for a while I stayed with it, trying to pin down when this game is set, but just gave up. For people who don't care about this -- I do because I've studied costume and I've been an actor/singer -- these may not be deal breakers, but for me, gah. I just gave up. I didn't find it as boring as some have, but that may be because I was so aggravated by the constant bumping into anomalies, I didn't have time to be bored.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Dec 3, 17 8:32 AM
NancySusan, you have said what I was trying to say, but couldn't specifically put it into words. Thank you for your post.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Dec 3, 17 11:55 PM
NancySusan-I noticed that I did feel like I was all alone or mostly alone at the opera house. You are right about the missing laces and the hack repair. But wouldn't they have different costumes and items there for different shows? I made a dress similar to the one she is wearing for my daughter.(the blue dress) We still have it for a costume and it's 2017. Are the different costumes there to stress the fact that they have all kinds of costumes.

I wouldn't have fun with any games if I take them so seriously. Only in game land. Have you ever seen the videos with mistakes from the major movie hits?
You have a right to feel any way you want to, toward any game.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Dec 4, 17 7:51 AM
I own all the Danse Macabre games in this series... While I have really enjoyed all the previous games, this one did not live up to those standards.. Nothing really special about this game and kind of boring if I must say. I like puzzles to have an easy vs. hard option... this game did not have that so I found that I skipped a lot of puzzles (don't usually like to do that).

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Dec 4, 17 1:14 PM
I just finished the bonus chapter and this game is not my favorite in the series. But it's good/OK to me. I have all of them in CE and I've played all but two. My favorites are Thin Ice and Moulin Rouge edition of Crimson Cabaret. I think only Domini Games have the easy/hard options.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Dec 8, 17 4:19 PM

I just finally finished the demo and I cannot give this game ANY stars! And yes I also gave it 6 thumbs down. It is so bad in so many ways. The lack of simple logic in actions, puzzles, conversations and just about everything was bad. I wouldn't play this game if I was a reviewer who was given free games!

I did get one good laugh near the end of the trial period. In the hidden object puzzle that used riddles for clues it had one that said:

"I CUT THE WIND AS I DANCE.."

Abs

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Dec 9, 17 6:10 AM
Miss Abby are you a Danse Macabre fan at all?

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Dec 9, 17 9:38 AM
Magisty, I think you need to read the BFG Review Guidelines especially Rule #2!

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Danse Macabre: A Lover's Pledge Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBeruna

Go to: