bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Hamlet

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 12, 10 1:40 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Hamlet? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Hamlet

[Post New]by eddyatwork on May 12, 10 4:35 AM
General recommendation: Buy only if you like puzzles that are illogical and are a fast clicker otherwise don't bother.

I really wanted to like this game but the puzzles were very frustrating for me and from other comments I read there are parts where you need to click rapidly which is a major turnoff to me. I liked the graphics and the jokes in the game which made it more playful but overall it was too frustrating. The hints are very long in charging and even with them it's still not clear sometimes what you should do.

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on May 12, 10 6:09 AM
Really Big Fish? Seems the more we complain about the games, the worse they get. This is getting very old!

ToonaCat
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by ToonaCat on May 12, 10 6:39 AM
If you like tricky/clever puzzles and fast reflexes this is a great game! I had to resort to the walk-through on another site a bit too often for $$. But glad I demoed it. I like the graphics and the humor of it, but also can't click as fast as I used to - needed for the boss games at the end of each level.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on May 12, 10 7:08 AM
I didn't really like this game because of all the quick clicking and the music got to me. I've read other gamers like it and I'm happy for them but, it just isn't my cup of tea.

maglad
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by maglad on May 12, 10 7:53 AM
I haven't got very far in the game yet (trying to figure out how to get a penguin to catch a fish), but it reminds me very much of the Samarost games which are also quirky!!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on May 12, 10 8:15 AM
I like this game. It really is not easy and not a kid game. Probably will not buy though because of the length-very short. Too bad. Similar to Machinarium which I hope Big Fish will get.

ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by ihateshopping on May 12, 10 9:09 AM
it's a great game. yes, i DO like the mini-games and puzzles (logical and otherwise), adventure and arcade elements. The arcade elements (boss fights) are tough, but not near as tough (the first one, anyway) as in the original incarnation that was released about a month ago, elsewhere.

the developer, mif2000, is also great. he listened to customers complaints about the first boss fight and changed it to make it easier. you had to have been there! it was wikkid difficult. LOL

back to the game...

...the audio is wonderful (i loved the heavy metal music in the first boss fight), great tongue-in-cheek humor, the puzzles range from fairly easy to absolutely, diabolically clever (these were the yummiest, IMHO) and really creative tweaking of Shakespeare's classic play. i even liked having to click 50+ times on a door (made me chuckle and it only happened once, so it wasn't a continuing, annoying element) and using my grey matter to figure out what to do next. The most difficult puzzles were actually fairly easy. The hardest part was figuring out the logic and mechanics, like any true adventure game, of them...like unlocking Ophelia's cage, underwater. Figuring out what to do was a real challenge; the actual puzzle was quite easy.

the replayability is limited. once you've finished the game, put it away for a few months so you forget most of the solutions then you may like playing it again (i played through twice; once in the original, harder version and then in the updated version). it did suffer a bit in the English localization, but the dialogs are few so it wasn't a big issue for me. also, it could have been a bit longer (no mention of the 3 witches, Yorrick, etc.).

now, if you're not a fan of adventure games, arcade games and/or difficult puzzles, you may not like this game. just because you don't care for a particular type of game doesn't make it bad (i hope people will refrain from posting "don't buy," or "this game stinks," type personal taste opinions), it just means that it's not your "cup of tea."

for those that DO like adventure, arcade and difficult puzzle games, you'll REALLY like this one. i give it 9 stars out of 10 (took off 1 star for localization issues and overall shortness). all in all, it was a great game and worth the purchase price.

Edited on 05/12/2010 at 9:10:07 AM PST

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on May 12, 10 9:35 AM
This is a game I like. Makes me think of "machinarium" ! Tricky puzzles, but logical ones...
Not for kids, but for adults who like to use their brains instead of looking for long lists of "hidden objects" ....
:hear: Raska

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 12, 10 10:59 AM
Love the artwork and general tone of the game, but had a hard time progressing. Hints take quite awhile to charge. Got frustrated and quit halfway thru demo.

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on May 12, 10 11:53 AM
This game was not for me. Had to delete in the first 10 minutes. Felt like an idiot when I could not figure out how to get into castle after hitting the "hint" button. I would have liked to continue but could not get my thinking cap on tight enough.

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on May 12, 10 12:17 PM
I didn't like it. I thought most of the puzzles were not too clever (castle door, or blending in the mob, guitar, laertes fight, paswsword,....)
A few I just couldn't see the logic in (corridors).
Graphic art is at least different. But other puzzlers around have given me more fun time and challenge without making me feel dumb (I felt stupid at the hideout door, for example).
The arcade parts I found irritating, yet I still managed to get through them without using the hint.
Ok for a trial, but I will not buy it.

kiwis00
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by kiwis00 on May 12, 10 1:06 PM
I'm not much into playing games that much but I watch my nephews (12 & 10 yrs old) and one of my grandsons (5 yrs old) play most of BFG games. So I decided to play the Hamlet demo, EXTREMELY EASY. I finished the game way before the DEMO EXPIRED about 8 minutes left. It is not worth buying it! My 5 yr old grandson played it too and finished within the hour after he watched me play. So if you want to waste your money on this game, it is completely worthless. You grownups, please don't buy it unless you are buying it for your kids 14 and under.

gpherder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gpherder on May 12, 10 3:51 PM
For game developers:

Some people like not having to listen to your lame music and/or sounds. I play ALL my games with the sound off. Some people CAN'T listen to your lame music and/or sounds. My sister-in-law is deaf.

So making people listen to your lame **** music and/or sounds in order to complete the game is idiotic. Don't do it.

puppycake
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by puppycake on May 12, 10 4:31 PM
Another VERY short game *sigh* Has BF changed owners? There has been many more complaints recently, games are lower quality, I'm not the only one wondering what is going on recently. First time ever I have credits been hanging around forever. Even some of the games I do half like I won't buy because they are under 2 hours playing time. The games have definately been getting shorter.

nantyglyn
Salmon
Salmon
2,939 Posts

[Post New]by nantyglyn on May 12, 10 5:32 PM
I didn't think I would like this game, given the look of the graphics. But I played the demo and found myself sucked in. I was surprised when the demo came to an end (at the music notes - hard to do that one). I'll have to check the length. If I'm not halfway through I'll have to get this one.

[Post New]by pratchettfan777 on May 12, 10 6:49 PM
Raska wrote:This is a game I like. Makes me think of "machinarium" ! Tricky puzzles, but logical ones...
Not for kids, but for adults who like to use their brains instead of looking for long lists of "hidden objects" ....
:hear: Raska

LOL

Ucwatuget
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by Ucwatuget on May 12, 10 7:11 PM
Actually, I really liked the game. It was difficult/tricky. But, the game was far too short. I completed almost the entire game before the 60 minute trial ran out. The cartoonish outline was cute. I liked that the hint took several minutes to recharge to allow me time to use my noggin. The clicking out of sequence of needs was ineffective but did not automatically make you die or anything. The story was cute. Some of the puzzles were very difficult to figure out. The "boss" level was very difficult tho because it required really fast clicking that also required accuracy. Not an easy task and I disliked that portion.

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on May 12, 10 10:33 PM
Sorry, didn't care for this one at all. No logic in it, graphics too cartoonish for me. Kind of harkens back to the old DOS days. Way too plain for me.

2easy
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by 2easy on May 12, 10 10:43 PM
I couldnt even get into the castle....so goodbye game...delete

Go to: