Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for The Legacy: Prisoner Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Dec 5, 17 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 12/05/2017 at 8:23:26 AM PST

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for The Legacy: Prisoner Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Dec 5, 17 3:18 AM
Based on the demo: Lost Lands 2.0. Other than some of the creatures & characters, the graphics are quite good. It looks to be a mostly light, bright game, w/ good colors, although certain areas, by virtue of their nature, are understandably darker. There's one collectible & one morph per area, & the collectibles vary, although not 100%; my guess would be there's four or more "sets" of them. You can choose to have the map show whether you have any of these left to find in any given area or not. The HOPs in the demo consist of one standard list & two progressive, w/ each of the latter including a small, simple puzzle to solve. The mini-games in the demo are all ones that I recognized from the Lost Lands series, but if I recall correctly, they've mostly only been used once before; they were somewhat simplified from the original versions. There was a little too much hand holding for my taste, such as being given the solution to a problem in the same moment in which you encounter it. As w/ it's predecessors, there's a fair amount of dialogue (which you can skip or click through if you wish), brief cut scenes, & running around (good jump map, though). All I all, I think many people who have played the Lost Lands series will enjoy playing this one, though some may lament the simplified gameplay. For myself, for now at least, I'll stick to replaying my Lost Lands CEs, as I can't see paying twice for what essentially amounts to the same thing I already paid for once. Happy gaming, all.

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Dec 5, 17 3:54 AM
A couple additional thoughts: I should probably have said, "More of Lost Lands 2.0", as this is the second in the Legacy series. (I did purchase the first one, but didn't end up being all that happy w/ it, as it was just too similar to Lost Lands, & as much as I enjoyed playing Lost Lands, I was hoping for something new from this dev at this point.) My d/l time for this game was about half of what it usually is, my play time for the demo was about 45", & the demo appears to consist of the first three chapters out of six total (unless it cuts out in the midst of chapter three, as opposed to at the end of it); hopefully, the last three chapters are substantially longer. Hint & skip recharge can be set as low as five seconds.

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Dec 5, 17 6:13 AM
I love Five-Bin games! I miss Susan from the others series but Diane's cool! Some of the mini games are easy, others tedious! But I'm not a mini game fan. Its simple,relaxing, the way I like games! I like variety of HO scenes, I'm more of a fan for word HOs instead of pics.I like the blend of modern world to past! Id say try it! Trial gives enough time to know if you want to purchase it!
It has 6 Chapters & add to that a bonus one. That's how games used to be! Not sure how fast the chapters move, but you don't see that many chapters in most games anymore!

Edited on 12/05/2017 at 7:06:29 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 5, 17 6:32 AM
I enjoyed this demo with it's Mayan theme and elements from 'Stargate' as well as Indiana Jones. Diane is drawn very realistically; if those jeans were any tighter she'd have trouble doing much of anything! The old man wanted water but what about food?? Not much to eat in a dungeon.

Good graphics, varied HOS, puzzles that I liked a lot, a map that transports, collectibles and morphs that were reasonably easy to find and a Strategy Guide that's easy to follow. I didn't notice the extras and never have music on.

A definite buy for me as I have to know who's hand that was pulling Diane out of..... well, try the demo and you'll find that out! A really enjoyable game

No technical issues with the demo which ended with 23 minutes remaining. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

Edited on 12/05/2017 at 6:40:47 AM PST

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Dec 5, 17 8:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread for The Legacy: Prisoner Collector's Edition! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on this game here. There are just a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on The Legacy: Prisoner Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators. We'll be happy to assist in any way we can.

bfgArinelle

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Dec 5, 17 8:30 AM

Five-BN Games have created some powerful games before, but this sequel has to be their best creation yet. I'm a fan, I can honestly say that every game series they have created is amongst my favorites, and they are truly worthy of a 5 star rating! Lost Lands, Darkness & Flames, New York Mysteries, House of 1000 Doors, Sacra Terra, Eternal Journey, and one of my top 5 favorites, Forbidden Secrets: Alien Town, are just a few of their epic games available. The Legacy is quickly becoming a Legacy adventure.

The sights and sounds are so realistic, I have surround sound speakers hooked up to my computer and I can't tell you how many times my poor little dogs and cat, have perked their ears up and looked all around the room, to try and figure out where those birds were. They have done a fantastic job of creating an atmosphere to make you feel as if you were there. I love the abundance of Collectibles and Morphing Objects, and that they unlock puzzles and mini games in the Extra's section of the Collector's Edition. Each and every scene has them, they blend in with the scenery very well, AND you can choose whether or not you want the cursor to change when you scan across an item, and if you want the items to be included on the map as to whether or not they have all been found, how awesome is that!

This Collector's Edition has 21 Wallpapers, 37 Concept Art pictures (wow) 16 re-playable Movie Videos, 8 Music Soundtracks, 13 re-playable Mini Games, 7 re-playable Puzzles, 22 Achievements to earn, 30 Morphing Objects that will unlock a Bonus Game in the extra's, 48 Collectibles (4 Vases, 4 Masks, 4 Golden Dishes, 7 Seashells, 5 Beetles, 6 Skulls, 12 Statuettes) that will unlock a new Bonus Puzzle for each Category Completed, a built in Strategy Guide and a Bonus Chapter, enjoy!

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Dec 5, 17 9:21 AM
A golden bust from Diana’s exhibition in the museum is stolen. But this case is special. The guard, sitting in front of his monitors, is alarmed by a signal of the motion detector. On one monitor he sees an alien creature. Hypnotized by the alien’s stare, he sets off to the room, breaks the showcase, takes the golden artifact and jumps out of the window, then running away with it.
Diana learns about the incident, when she comes to work in the museum. The broken showcase holds her exhibition and she realizes, what is missing. With the help of the bust’s GPS code, she can determine its location and starts off to pursue the thief. The navipad leads her to an abandoned place. There the thief throws the bust into a dried up well. It is David, the guard, but Diana won’t question him, instead she goes after her exhibit first. At the bottom, the well looks like a decorated worship chamber. Standing in a ritualistic circle she accidentally activates a portal and falls into another world. She lands in front of an ancient temple. With no apparent way back, Diana enters the temple and meets an old man, Kitron, who introduces himself as guard of a dangerous prisoner, the demon Rhitoris.
We are back in a blend of fantastic sci-fi with co-existing worlds. Diana enters through a portal, that immediately closes. On the one hand our protagonist finds her way via modern devices as navipads but is trapped in an ancient culture, where she has to meet challenges without the technical achievements. It is more an adventure game with more challenging mini games and mult-layered HOS mostly. The animations, artwork, and graphics are simply beautiful. Music is suiting and I like the characters. Diana is not drawn as a hero, able to answer all challenges without batting an eyelid. So it is easy to follow her as the protagonist in finding a way out of this world as well as keeping her own one save of danger.
Not necessary to mention, that I have bought the game. It is worth 5 stars, no question!

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Dec 5, 17 2:37 PM
I think this one is a 5 star production! Really enjoyed both the game and bonus chapter. This is my 2nd purchase of the developer's new series. And, I'm certainly looking forward to Diana's next adventure. Hope they haven't finished with Lost Lands - I loved Folnur and they left him in a bit of a pickle, i.e. in glitter particles, But, back to this one, everyone has hit all the great points so I'll just say, what a good game and I'm off to play again to get the collectables I missed. This one definitely has replay value.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Dec 5, 17 7:24 PM
I agree with nextgengranny about this series so alike to "Lost Lands". But Legacy "atmosphere" is totally different IMO, and because I'm original from S. America, I like it!

It's true they have similar minigames, I think the one with the crystal skulls, and that is a pity for these good Developers, if they start to make 'copy and paste' in future games. I don't mind the same way for morphing, collections, map, etc. in both series, I love the neat game style they have.

Anyway, I'm going to buy it with a good sale, I want too to know who's hand is...

And please Five-Bin, take your time making these great and enjoyable games,
M.

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Dec 5, 17 9:18 PM
minesita, the first Legacy had either a Central or South American theme as well, if I recall correctly? That's the one standout thing for me about this series, it takes us places we don't seem to go to very much (at least in the games I've played so far).

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Dec 6, 17 9:02 AM
nextgengranny wrote:minesita, the first Legacy had either a Central or South American theme as well, if I recall correctly? That's the one standout thing for me about this series, it takes us places we don't seem to go to very much (at least in the games I've played so far).

Hi Granny , may I call you this? Yes, the first one should be Central or south North America. The Mayan culture was in south Mexico and Guatemala.

Of course, nobody had blue eyes , and in this new game I don't know yet where is situated, I need to wait for a better sale to buy it!!!

M.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Dec 6, 17 10:05 AM
It's a nice game but a bit on the short side.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Dec 6, 17 1:40 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game - I really like the first one, too. Yes, there are similarities to Lost Lands, but I put that down to 1: mostly the same voice actors, and 2: the same graphic artists. Rather like the other well established Devs, lol

My thought on Lost Lands, much as I loved the series, is that it is most likely finished. Susan has gotten progressively older with each adventure (proving time has passed), and in the last, Folnur sacrificed his life to save hers Of course, they could decide to continue on and use her son, lol.

Back to this one, I like to think that the "rules" on appearance (such as eye colour) are different in these other worlds (it saves me a lot of angst and yelling at the monitor because they 'got it wrong!', lol). And I also find myself actually looking for 'reminders' of various movies and stories - sometimes I count them

I played the whole game as well as the Bonus game and loved it. I even managed to play most of the mini games (skipping the ones I really don't like, but luckily there weren't too many of those), and had no trouble with the game mechanics (pc, Win 10). Music was fine, and the graphics well up to Five-BN's usual high standard.

As a possible Spoiler, you will notice a rather obvious difference in the appearance of the Village Elder/Shaman in the two stories, which makes me think the Bonus game is set earlier in time.

As always, try the demo first, and if you like it, buy it

Cheers,

Jen

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Dec 7, 17 4:05 AM
Hi, mamajay. I always play w/ the sound off, so I can't speak to the voice acting, & the graphics aren't particularly similar or dissimilar to me.

My personal theory is that Five-BN wanted to "reinvent" Lost Lands in a series they hoped would have more appeal for a younger audience. As you point out, Susan was getting a bit long in the tooth; her son would likely be an adult himself at this point. Thus, Susan is replaced by a younger PC who provides a character a younger player might more readily identify with.

The similarities between this series & Lost Lands are obvious to anyone who's played both. An appreciable drop in production values is demonstrated by things like the heavy reuse of mini-games & there being fewer collectibles included. I do think this series is intended to both replicate & replace Lost Lands. I also think the bar has been lowered, significantly. That doesn't mean that plenty of people won't still enjoy playing it, it just doesn't appeal to me personally. And if the devs succeed in attracting new players to their games, it will make it easier for them to continue developing them, so there's that.

I hope you don't mind me responding to your comments by presenting my own perspective. It isn't my intention to argue but just to present my POV as part of a conversation, which I understand there used to be a lot of in this forum.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Dec 8, 17 12:53 AM
Hi Granny

I don't mind at all - I think it's great that we can all share our differing opinions on these games.

Like you, I have noticed the similarities, not just in the stories, but where they take place, the graphic style (particularly in the cut scenes), and yes, the mini games, lol. But I try not to get too upset about them anymore, and just enjoy the game for what it is.

Of course, we have seen other Devs fall into the same trap (ERS and EIPIX come to mind), and they never seem to realise that changing up their styles can sometimes be a good thing, lol. Ah well, c'est la vie

As for this game, I have to say I was very impressed with how the characters appear - I really liked that Diane, our heroine, was allowed to get wet, and a bit dirty, and we also got to see her face as she talked to people - I think that is a new thing?

So again, even with less collectibles (which I also enjoy finding), I must say that I found this game to be well worth playing, probably because I really enjoyed the actual story.

If Lost Lands does continue, I will be quite happy - I have invested a lot of time in that place, lol.

Cheers,

Jen

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Dec 8, 17 3:49 AM
Hi again, mamajay. It was before my time here at BFG, but I've seen where the forums used to be much more active, & I'm sorry I missed that. As someone who has come to thoroughly enjoy playing HOPA games, I enjoy discussing the ins & outs of them w/ other players.

Like you, I don't get upset when I see signs that one dev or another has begun cutting corners, because it saves me money. (Devs, are you listening?)

I end up buying a lot of older games, but the one dev that's actually gotten back to pleasing me of late is Eipix. I've had my ins & outs w/ them over the past two years, & they've had their share of two star ratings from me, so it's good to see them rediscovering their roots, & listening & responding to the people who play their games again. (I feel like I should knock on wood when I say that, though! )

I'm glad you're enjoying the game, hopefully a lot of other folks are, too.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Dec 13, 17 11:17 PM
I quite liked this game. The voice overs were good, graphics excellent, lots of tasks, different sites, things to collect, interesting and beautiful cut scenes.

It's a game that to me meant the developers put a lot of time and thought into it.

Thoroughly enjoyed. Two thumbs up.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Dec 14, 17 7:59 AM
After yesterday good sale (Thanks BFG), I bought this game and finished it. I was a little disappointed, it was too short . In two hours more than the demo I completed the main game.

I prefer Lost Lands, but I like Diane, not her voice, and I hope the Devs will be preparing both series different not alike.

Have all of you a Happy and Blessed Holidays ,
M.

lapphund
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by lapphund on Dec 18, 17 6:59 AM
Only played the demo, didn;t like it at all, short playing time to much dialog and cut scenes

Go to: