bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Magicville: Art of Magic

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 15, 10 1:09 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Magicville: Art of Magic? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Magicville: Art of Magic

[Post New]by govegril on May 15, 10 8:50 AM
Wow, a Match 3 game I like. Not many of those in my collection but I am enjoying this one. The match 3 part so far is fairly simple- maybe that is why.
The graphics are very nice in this game. A bit of a story as you journey around.

You have choice of Adventure or Speed mode and can play Adventure relaxed or timed.
You buy powerups as you go from a spell shop.

You collect inventory items that you must use or give characters you meet.

There are mini puzzles in between such as gear, pipes and leapfrog.
I don't think you can skip the minigames - I had to redo the leapfrog as I failed first time so hope those do not get more difficult.
The gear and pipe puzzles so far easy enough.

It might be a bit easy for seasoned Match 3 players. I am finding the inventory items interaction and the mini puzzles keep it interesting and entertaining me so far tonight.

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on May 15, 10 9:08 AM
Graphics are very good on this one. However, if you're looking for a match 3 game, you may be disappointed. Simple, small match 3 grids (at least so far) are not much of a challenge. But I can deal with that. Then there are the mini games. I have less tolerance for those. Gear one was fairly easy with the hint. And then I get to the pipe mini game, which I will admit that I absolutely hate. And I'm stuck. No way to go past the game. Have created a flow from top to bottom and it doesn't like it.

I like some of the features of this game and, as I said, the graphics are very nice. However, this one is going to be a pass for me. I like match 3 and have a lot of them and I like the HOG and IHOG and have a lot of them, too. But I can always refer to a walkthrough to get past puzzles in the HOGs or just skip them. Without a skip button on the puzzles, it pretty much takes the fund out of the match 3 part, at least for me. If there was a skip mini game option, this might be a buy , but as it is...

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 15, 10 9:30 AM
Just finished the demo. An odd little mix of a game. No tech issues, but the transitions take some time to load, and there's lots of them. Probably an ok way just to kill some time, but hard to get into any real gameplay. For me, it goes in my pile of "may buy if it's a daily deal" games.

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

As previously discussed...NO SKIP/NO BUY

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on May 15, 10 12:49 PM
This was a nice enough Match Three...okay graphics, straight forward if somewhat simple play. THEN I realized that there was no skip feature, and after five minutes of play, deleted. I will never, not ever again, buy a game without a skip feature. Maybe, after several generations of this, game writers will slowly, V E R Y slowly, figure out that we LIKE having the ability to skip games we detest. As I said, it will probably take generations, but maybe our childrens' childrens' children...game developers are not the quickest learners (as evidenced by some of the spelling and grammatical errors we have seen) It is my game. I will not spend my time playing a minigame that I think is stupid or tedious.

NO SKIP/NO BUY.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 15, 10 1:26 PM
I actually am enjoying this game. Not stressful, and kinda fun. So far managed all the mini games...even when I thought I didn't, lol. Weird in a way, but good for me.

Jadee41
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by Jadee41 on May 15, 10 1:42 PM
I totally agree.... I just finished the Demo and did enjoy playing the game ,but the lack of a Skip option on the mini games will probably keep me from buying this one unless there is a walkthrough somewhere...

jentzie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by jentzie on May 15, 10 2:37 PM
It's a no buy for me. No skip - no purchase.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on May 15, 10 4:55 PM
Hmmm, lately I seem to be on the fence with a lot of games and this is one of them. The match three does get progressively more difficult. I do like that you have an option to play timed or relaxed. I'm sorry I started out on timed adventure. I like a story and 'distractions' when playing match 3 so that part I really enjoy. The story is there just barely but the graphics are nice. Hmmm. On the fence here. I'm going to put it on the back burner and think about it. I just bought both of the Trial of the Gods games and have only finished the first.

Also, I do appreciate the option to skip and am sorry it is not on this game.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on May 15, 10 6:18 PM

This one isn't grabbing me.

One of my pet peeves is having to look too long to find a match in a match 3.

Also, and maybe this gets better as you go, but it seems like I am collecting and carrying a bunch of stuff without much interaction with them.

And here is where I get extremely nit-picky (lol) What a freaky looking fairy!

Rhowennah
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Rhowennah on May 15, 10 7:14 PM
This is a no go for me... I thought the game was too slow and hard to figure out just what you were supposed to do.... Anyway, I was hoping for another good M3 game but not this time... Still looking...

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on May 15, 10 8:04 PM
I am also someone who just can't get cozy with this game. The mini-games don't seem obvious, and there is no skip. At the same time, the Match-3 games seem like a half-thought-out device for getting to the mini games. Sorry, no thank you on this one.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

As previously discussed...NO SKIP/NO BUY

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on May 15, 10 8:57 PM
GoddessOdd wrote: This was a nice enough Match Three...okay graphics, straight forward if somewhat simple play. THEN I realized that there was no skip feature, and after five minutes of play, deleted. I will never, not ever again, buy a game without a skip feature. Maybe, after several generations of this, game writers will slowly, V E R Y slowly, figure out that we LIKE having the ability to skip games we detest. As I said, it will probably take generations, but maybe our childrens' childrens' children...game developers are not the quickest learners (as evidenced by some of the spelling and grammatical errors we have seen) It is my game. I will not spend my time playing a minigame that I think is stupid or tedious.

NO SKIP/NO BUY.

I agree! NO SKIP-NO BUY and that goes for any game!

barbspin
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by barbspin on May 15, 10 9:00 PM
I need help getting past the balisilk. I can't give him anything or use anything on hime to remove him.
Love this little game - I've been playing it all day (and not doing my homework!)

vkacademy
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by vkacademy on May 15, 10 9:26 PM
I enjoyed the demo. I like match 3 games, I like adventure games and I like a variety of mini puzzles, so this was right up my alley. The minigames weren't that difficult but not ridiculously easy either. A pleasant way to pass the time. I liked the music too, actually.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 16, 10 12:45 AM
Downloaded the demo but, as for The Spell, it blocks just after I entered my name. The Spell worked after I bought it ! But I do not want to buy this one "les yeux fermés", especially after your comments. Not being a genius, I like games where you can skip a game when you are really stuck. Off to download it again............

[Post New]by jangodarkblade on May 16, 10 11:10 AM
I get the picture with this game...if you're depressed, then don't buy it. You will end up even more depressed. During the match three levels I would've liked some kind of power up (like the one in Big Kahuna!). But to just sit there, (for what seems an eternit!y) waiting for a match to drop in because you haven't got any spells left is, in my opinion, a waste of time. Oh! In case I forget, I HATE SOLITAIRE!

All in all I've played much, much better games. Sorry I bought it. Waste of a credit & would advise not to buy. 2/10

Edited on 05/16/2010 at 11:13:33 AM PST

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on May 16, 10 12:24 PM
Match 3 too easy, no skip on puzzles, no buy for me.

FeyKina
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by FeyKina on May 16, 10 1:08 PM
No thanks, clunky, boring and unchallenging. Graphics looked to be promising but they too were in reality lacking . I wish they would make more like "4 Elements" and the Atlantis series. Hard to find a new quality Match 3.
Wish I could be more positive....

onetoomany
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by onetoomany on May 16, 10 2:55 PM
I bought the game after the initial confusion on the first mini game was cleared up. Pros: Excellent graphics, good story, great music (Plenty of variety, that every gameboard has a different melody and if it is repeated it isn't noticeable.) Not "childish/cartoonish" looking/playing. Finally a M3 with the graphics of a well produced HOG.
Con: NO SKIP BUTTON for the mini games. Fortunately the mini's aren't "pulling my hair out".
Minor issue: Transition from screen to screen takes a few seconds to load. But it's OK since the trade-off is fantastic graphics.
I am 3/4 through the game, have not encountered any "glitches" and really like this game. M3's and HOGs with Fairy/Fairytale/Spooky/Mystical themes are my favorite. This would be a 5 star game, except there is no "skip button" for the minis.

Go to: