gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Monster Quest Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 15, 10 9:38 AM
I demo-ed this game just now since it's today's daily deal. No tech issues for me. Picture areas are smaller than most - game interface takes up a lot of space - I had a hard time finding objects.

I'm going to pass on this one, but someone else may enjoy it - especially at daily deal pricing. For me, it just didn't seem fun.

cspmbs
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
447 Posts

Re:Monster Quest Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by cspmbs on May 16, 10 9:01 AM
I have to agree. I'll keep my $2.99!

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on May 16, 10 12:01 PM
Sorry I didn't like it either. Looks like a mans game to me. Just not interested in the subject I guess. I will keep looking

[Post New]by Thalomarre on May 16, 10 12:33 PM
I bought the game, and it might have been worth the $2.99 just for the pleasure of seeing how atrociously bad a game can be.

After presenting you with bodies of text at the beginning and end of each level, it quizzes you immediately afterward as though the game doesn't trust you to actually read the text of your own volition. It's kinda like being in grade school.

The acting is pretty terrible. Almost invariably the "talent" seems to be either trying too hard or not trying at all. I think maybe three or four people voice all the various characters, and it shows.

The scenes are a weird mishmash of stock photos apparently thrown together with little regard to lighting and perspective. Photographs used as clues have a similar problem. In fact, the ones that are eventually exposed as fakes are more convincing than those not even brought into question, where they've obviously pasted in people and objects without bothering to make even basic corrections for lighting and atmosphere. And then the game has the gall to tell you about how photo manipulation has been abused since the advent of photography. At least the hoaxsters do a decent job of it...

(Minor spoilers ahead, if anyone cares.)

Everything I've investigated so far has, predictably, turned out to be a case of mistaken identity or a hoax. I know this is supposed to be a "realistic" game, but it makes for some rather lackluster conclusions. It'd be nice if once or twice an investigation would come back as "inconclusive," allowing for the possibility of something more interesting than some frog and lizard bones glued together. Still, I haven't finished the game, so maybe there's still hope.

Actually, I like to think there is hope for the last investigation I completed. I was looking into reports in London of a Mothman-like creature they called the Night-bat (which I guess describes a bat that comes out at night. Not like the day-bats with which we're all familiar). The final clue was a journal from a local university that supposedly settled the matter as a hoax. It opened by describing a man "of wit and humor."

Yes, "humor." Not "humour." In a London university.

Clearly, this missive was not written by an English university student, but by an American game designer - thus proving that the journal entry exposing the creature as a hoax... is a hoax! THE NIGHT-BAT LIVES ON!

Hey, for $2.99, I've gotta derive amusement from this game somehow.

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on May 17, 10 7:27 PM
You should like the last case a little better then. I just finished it.

EnvirEng
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirEng on May 28, 10 10:03 AM
I bought it as a DD. For $2.99, it was entertaining. Yes, it is seriously hokey. The game designers had a good really good idea, unfortunately, something went wrong during the execution of said 'idea.'

As a DD, you will get your money's worth. Use the hints liberally--since some items are impossible to find. Just have fun. Remember: Not everything has to be Dire Grove.

Additional Note: Just finished the entire game. The developers had a really good idea, but it really did go wrong. I still believe the game is worth $2.99, but it could have been so much better. The Lab work (like mini games) were some of the most original I've seen, unfortunately some were too hard and too tedious. Fortunately, the help recharges quickly.

Edited on 06/09/2010 at 8:06:16 PM PST

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on Jun 3, 10 8:31 PM
This game was fun for me. I have played a lot worse. It was entertaining and fun to go on the hunt. I am wondering if History will put out more games?

Go to: