Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Morella Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Dec 16, 17 12:43 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 12/16/2017 at 10:49:59 AM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Morella Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Dec 16, 17 10:30 AM

Apparently I have been too critical of these games lately because everyone else seems to love them, but this game is no different than the last 11 games in the series. Nothing changes, same graphics, same sights and sounds, same tasks, same puzzle and HOP styles, and basically the same storyline.

For the life of me, I can't differentiate one charter from another, other than Detective Dupin! Louisa looks no different than Marie Roget, or any main character, Mark looks no different than any other male character either. The only reason Lilly looks different is because she has black eyes, and Dark Tales rarely features kids in their games, but I'm confident the next child will have red hair and braids!

I knew the second I freed Mark, that I was going to need to whip up an ointment for bandages, and didn't I have to free the last female character from a giant water tank, the same character that had an incurable "condition" just like Louisa? Do all women in EAP's novels have an untreatable illness? Do all of the manors have evil spirits? Are all Amulets/Medallions evil spiritually connected? Do all evil spirits have the same M.O of binding doors with thick vines? Do all statues, doors, mirrors, drawers, mailboxes, and picture frames require an emblem to access them, emblems that are ALWAYS missing. Have all evil spirits been banished, they apparently don't exist in the 1900's, because all Dark Tales seem to take place in 1840. These poor people, not only are they burdened with having to solve a puzzle just to enter the next room, but they always get trapped by their own devices!

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Morella Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Dec 16, 17 10:49 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Morella Collector's Edition here. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread as the moderators will be removing any content that isn’t a review.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Morella Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBeruna

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Dec 16, 17 11:11 AM
Hi pennmom, hm, these characters are indeed drawn much alike, at least physically. And Lilly will have red hair, later, when ......

Reading your review I had to smile because there are these similar appearances in the figures of all Dark Tales, the dev has this phenomenon for all series. But: Dupin's looks change! There are games, where he looks younger, in others older, then we have one with a roguish type of Dupin - so there is diversity at least in this one character!

But I like this game. It gets much better after the demo and is not a bad adaption of the literary template.

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Dec 16, 17 12:08 PM
I tried I just cant play this game! I really would love a new game that's somewhere between sappy sweet & spooky sick!

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Dec 16, 17 3:17 PM
WHY ? WHY am I wasting my time being confronted with one puzzle/mini game after another? What game play? There isn't any. If you're not confronted with a multitude of puzzles, you are searching for all these inventory items to complete a task. I love putting scissors together, and having to find a screw, don't you? What a relief not to have to find a screwdriver and then have to sharpen them, too. The 2 hos I came across were disgraceful....and I am noticing more and more in hos that they are placing a glaring light in them making it very unpleasant and difficult to see, not only because of a glare but because of background shadows....makes you want to put on sunglasses because of the bright light. It is a total turn off.

1st hos was finding 12 keys...well how long does that take? And the second was so shallow, it was like a first grader put it together...the items so apparent to find. It was all of the time consuming puzzles that you are confronted with that holds your attention hostage. I don't mind some puzzles and tried to do a few, but many of them are so frustrating, especially the one with the balls....you miss one in the bowl and you have to start all over again....forget it. I am not going to spend my time doing this waste. I want to relax and enjoy the game, the graphics and gameplay, but you can't because of all this other unnecessary mess that definitely overwhelms any story when there is too much of it.

The graphics were good as usual for this series and the story was so so...somewhat ridiculous. Couldn't really get into the story because everything else keeps getting in the way. You're supposed to collect fortune cookies...wow....and I don't think there was anything else outstanding. You can replay mini games and hos. Indicated 17 mini games to 15 hos. That 17 mini games is very misleading because there were so many in the demo, I lost count.

I was really hoping to like this game. I have most of the others...it seems like they keep getting worse and worse. It wouldn't be that way if there was some balance in this game, but there isn't. And I don't know if it was just me or not, but the demo seemed so short. I am a slow player, but was surprised when they just cut you off, saying thanks....Well, I am going to say, "no thanks" to this game. What another disappointment~

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 17, 17 1:31 AM
I am not a fan of the puzzles offered in this game - boring as heck. And we also have to deal with runes again. Another bore.

Also bored with the constant appearance of Morella, and she sounds like the girl from that first "Maze" game. And speaking of sounds: my character mispronounced Dupin's name. It's a French name, not an English one.

Not really interested in the game on the whole, so this will be the first game in this series I won't buy.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Dec 17, 17 11:31 AM

I found this game to be silly, repetitive and boring. In my opinion, this game, and most main stream games from BFG these days, are totally not worth buying! The plots are almost nonexistent except that they all resemble the last game. Runes, and glowing eyes, smoke, everyone possessed...gah! Please give us some games that make us think and use our brains!

I almost quit the demo, but then it ended! Not even a good time passer in my opinion!

Abs

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Dec 19, 17 10:33 AM
I finally finished this game. Was quite disappointed. Certainly not at all like the others in the series. Also, very disappointed in that there is no opportunity once finished to look for any of the puzzle pieces that were missed. I know I missed several. also missed one of the "tasty treats" - can't go back and find that either.

Alas, I was not impressed with this game.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 19, 17 6:21 PM
Hi friends! As always, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to those who do a much better job than I. Been recouping from knee surgery, so trying to catch up now. We have yet another addition to this series. I don't have all the games in this series, but what I do have I liked. Dupin is back, and for some reason, has very piercing blue eyes. Sort of creepy at first. The graphics are very nice and colors are clear and true. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo and it fit my large screen. Animation was fairly nice and smooth, with very nice mouth movements when speaking. Voices were the same as in the other games, but again, we do not speak. We have to read our dialog, which is not one of my favorite things to do in a game. Seems to make the game move quite slowly. Music was okay. Sound FX weren't too bad, but still not much.

HOPs are very few and far between again in this one. Items were not difficult to find and most of the scenes were fairly clear. HOPs are varied, with some very interactive lists and straight lists so far. I did not see that we could switch to anything else, which would have been nice. Some puzzles did have a little challenge, but still were not difficult to complete, just a little more time consuming. One puzzle I just do not care for is the "follow the line." It isn't fun for me and often frustrating. Hint system would often say "I must press on," rather than actually give us a hint. I did not see a transport feature during the demo. There is a lot of back tracking, so this feature would have been nice. The map was okay, but only helpful for jumping to a location.

Collectibles were okay, but not much. We have to find 60 fortune cookies that are holding a jigsaw puzzle piece. These are often small and easy to miss, so be on the lookout for them. Sometimes, a scene has more than one. Definitely could have used a bit more, unless I missed something.

Poe is one of my favorites, but not sticking to a story line does bother me a bit. If you are going to use a Poe title, use the Poe story. This story did nothing for me and I found myself wanting the demo to end. Fortunately, it was a short one. I found this one to be quite disappointing. It is not a bad game and one that I am sure some will like, but I do not feel this is CE worthy at all, so no buy for me. I will give the SE version a try when it comes out. Quite often, I find that the SE version makes a much better game.

As always, give this one a try and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

arrington1
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by arrington1 on Dec 20, 17 6:20 PM
At one time, these were some of my favorite games..no more, boring

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Dec 24, 17 11:32 AM
I usually love the dark tales games but this one was just boring. Maybe my standards are just to high after the release of the newest Christmas games but I just couldn't get into this one, Maybe the next one will catch my interest.

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Jan 3, 18 7:21 PM
35 minute demo...really? Based on the whole 35 min I got to play, there really wasn't enough to sustain my interest to purchase the game.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jan 13, 18 6:19 PM
Finished the game. some puzzle I had to skip as couldn't figure them out, & just wanted to to get to the end as I was getting bored.

Go to: