Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Wonderland 8 here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Dec 18, 17 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 12/18/2017 at 12:32:41 PM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Plese post your REVIEWS for Christmas Wonderland 8 here.

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Dec 18, 17 6:23 AM

I look forward to Christmas Wonderland every year, it's not Christmas until this game is released! If you've never played any of these games, you really should, they are old school Hidden Object Games, but really fun! This dev also brings us Vacation Adventures: Park Ranger, and Cruise Director as well as several Holiday themed games. I say this every year, but it's oh so true, these games are Family games, they are designed to be enjoyed by the entire family, young and old will be delighted. It's not as easy as it looks at times, some of these objects are very well hidden! You can play in Casual or Challenge mode, depending on how fast you want the hint feature to recharge.

Each scene has beautiful Christmas themed graphics and several listed items to search for within the scene. You will also need to find a Golden Angel, and each scene also contains lost and found items, which are shown as silhouetted shapes inside an icon on the left of the screen, the door will close when all items have been found. Some of the items to find are listed in red which means that the item is hidden in or behind something, such as a backpack, which can be clicked on to expose the item. Items in blue text require some type of interaction.

After each seek and find game, there will be a mini game or puzzle available such as rotating puzzle pieces, putting together a puzzle one piece at a time, flipping over two ornaments at a time in search of matching pairs and even my personal favorite, spot the difference.

Your score will be tallied at the end of each scene and you will earn a bronze star if you find all of the items to complete the scene, a silver star if you complete the level and find all of the angels OR all of the silhouetted shapes, and a gold star if you complete the level, find all of the angels AND all silhouetted lost and found items. You can replay any level at any time in order to find items you didn't find the first time.

There are Trophy achievements to earn and you can visit the shop to buy Christmas presents to display on a shelf. There is a regular Hint as well as a Mega hint which highlights all items for a brief period of time, but you will earn an Eagle Eye bonus if you don't use any hints. Make this game one of your family traditions, enjoy!

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Dec 18, 17 9:01 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread for Christmas Wonderland 8! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on this game here. There are just a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Christmas Wonderland 8.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators. We'll be happy to assist in any way we can.

bfgArinelle

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

Re:Plese post your REVIEWS for Chwristmas Wonderland 8 here.

[Post New]by divaprods on Dec 18, 17 11:21 AM
FINALLY!!

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Dec 18, 17 11:43 AM
A JOY~ Have been anxiously awaiting this to add to my collection of all CW games. And what a way to begin a new week. Love these games and have all of the other series they develop....Vacation Adventures, both Park Ranger and Cruise Director....Halloween (wish they would add another) and Easter. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Thanksgiving theme to add?

In this delightful game, you once again collect Lost and Found items which are silhouetted in the lower left hand corner snow globe and when you have found them all, the globe will show Santa and his sleigh. We also collect golden angels and when you have collected all of those in the scene the doors close on the pic next to the snow globe. Some of these are very hard to find, as well as other items on the find items list.

I replayed the first 2 scenes 3X. Each time you replay a scene some of the items are the same you searched for the first time, but many of them are different items...and some very hard to find. I had a difficult time finding the fairy to put on the tree in the second scene...because it isn't a fairy you are looking for, but an angel.

At the end of a scene or puzzle you go to a map area and at the top are pictures of scenes that you can go back and replay, but when you do that, you have to replay everything else that comes after that particular scene before going to the new scene. I made a mistake by clicking on the 2nd scene where they were decorating the tree and then being confronted with the newspaper puzzle to do again, which I skipped. Once was enough for that one.

There is a variety of things to do....something for everyone...even spot the difference which I don't care for. Not interested in points, but they are there if you so like that...and you can buy gifts...and visit the areas where your collections are. The graphics and scenes are so "wonderfully" done...some very busy. The more you look into them the more you see, which is why I enjoy replaying some scenes. The Advent calendar is a beautiful touch. And one thing really nice is that no scene is repeated...not so far in this one, but it is not typical of them to do. I am really looking forward to taking my time to enjoy the rest of this delightful Wonderland, indeed... and like all the others....replay again.

One more appealing factor adding to this Wonderland is that no one ages....message.... Always Stay Young at Heart...no matter what your age~

Enjoy everyone~

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Dec 18, 17 2:18 PM
cathybobcat wrote:One more appealing factor adding to this Wonderland is that no one ages....message.... Always Stay Young at Heart...no matter what your age~

True... nobody ages. But I have to laugh; I recently played all the Park Ranger games through one after the other, and just yesterday I finished playing all the previous Christmas Wonderland games through. I've noticed something... the mom in these games hasn't changed her shirt or her necklace in at least 3 years! I think she's got different jeans on, though. The dad is still wearing the same sweatshirt he had on before, and the daughter, I think, is still wearing the same top.

I realize it costs money to make changes from year to year, but it just struck me funny at how much this family doesn't change!

It's nice that they got a new house, though. Maybe that's the reason they never wear any other clothes - they've been thrifty in saving up for the new place.

(Such are the thoughts that occur when a person replays these games all within a two-week period; odd things get noticed.)

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Wonderland 8 here.

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Dec 20, 17 6:31 AM
I too noticed they didn't age or change. I think we would keep the series longer if they don't age or change because people would be divided on the older and newer versions if they changed now.

Edited on 12/21/2017 at 7:01:38 AM PST

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Dec 20, 17 1:55 PM
Majestyx12 wrote:I too noticed they didn't age or change. I think we would keep the series longer if they don't because people would be divided on the older and newer versions if they changed now.

I've finished the game now, and noticed that the "new" house is the same one that the other family (different set of kids) lived in several games ago. The kids' bedroom in #8 is the same one as the other kids had in a couple of the earlier games. So maybe they swapped houses?

There's a delightful surprise in Christmas Wonderland 8 for fans of the Park Ranger series of games.

I really enjoyed this edition, and look forward to the next one.

gertie23
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by gertie23 on Dec 20, 17 9:08 PM
Finished it just over 2 hours. Nothing new really, except it's 'good' to see they finally have a father. I don't remember ever seeing him in any of the others. And what happened to Grandma, they were talking about taking a tree to Grandpa & Grandma's house but no Grandma in the scene, maybe she is where Dad has been for the past 7 games?

[Post New]by cljmovies2 on Dec 21, 17 5:34 AM
I hate to admit it. But I was kind of disappointed after waiting all year for this to come out. For me it seemed to short. The other versions took me a lot longer to finish. This one I was done in under 2 hours. Which really surprised me. It was also a lot harder to find items. They were hidden in unusual places. And the ones that were hidden behind other items were all but impossible to find. Which after a while became EXTREMELY frustrating. I found myself hitting the hint button way more than in any other version. I also had no use for the puzzles this year. They were very complicated. And even with the addition of the A and B buttons to help you out. I found them of no help and ended up skipping them. And there were way to many search a word puzzles included this year. One or two are enough. I own all of the Christmas Wonderland games and have given them all a 10+. But this year I would have to give Christmas Wonderland 8 a 4 and I'm being generous. I really hope Christmas Wonderland 9 is much better than 8 is!

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Dec 21, 17 10:54 AM
gertie23 wrote:Finished it just over 2 hours. Nothing new really, except it's 'good' to see they finally have a father. I don't remember ever seeing him in any of the others. And what happened to Grandma, they were talking about taking a tree to Grandpa & Grandma's house but no Grandma in the scene, maybe she is where Dad has been for the past 7 games?

The father was in a previous game, in the part where they went to the tree farm (he hasn't changed his clothes in 2-3 years - still that same green sweatshirt).

Grandpa and Grandma rented a cabin at Pinecreek Hills in this game, and she was at the far right of the screen, in the kitchen. I had to wonder at her makeover, though. She looked younger, with a younger hairstyle (hair still grey, but no longer up in a bun and looking 10-20 years older than Grandpa, as in previous games). So either she got a makeover or Grandpa remarried?

Something I meant to mention before that actually does annoy me about this game: There are numerous scenes where the family is outside - at the tree farm, at the gas station on the way to Pinecreek Hills, at church... the wind is howling in the background, everyone else is wearing winter jackets (one woman at the church is bundled up in a heavy parka)... but the family is in shirtsleeves! No jackets, no toques, no mittens, no boots! I had to check the mom's footwear at the gas station to see if she was wearing shoes or sandals (shoes, fortunately for her feet).

This is something that people in warm climates might not notice, but to those of us who live in the northern regions (ie. Canada, where I'm looking at the snow coming down as I type), something like this is ludicrous. I remember thinking that this family must be polar bear changelings, or something. I realize it would cost more to design outdoor winter wear for these characters, but it would be a good thing, as seeing people in shirtsleeves in weather that's obviously cold enough for the background characters to bundle up just takes me right out of the story and into annoyance.

Edited on 12/21/2017 at 10:56:08 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 22, 17 12:38 AM
Valkara wrote:Something I meant to mention before that actually does annoy me about this game: There are numerous scenes where the family is outside - at the tree farm, at the gas station on the way to Pinecreek Hills, at church... the wind is howling in the background, everyone else is wearing winter jackets (one woman at the church is bundled up in a heavy parka)... but the family is in shirtsleeves! No jackets, no toques, no mittens, no boots! I had to check the mom's footwear at the gas station to see if she was wearing shoes or sandals (shoes, fortunately for her feet).

This is something that people in warm climates might not notice, but to those of us who live in the northern regions (ie. Canada, where I'm looking at the snow coming down as I type), something like this is ludicrous. I remember thinking that this family must be polar bear changelings, or something. I realize it would cost more to design outdoor winter wear for these characters, but it would be a good thing, as seeing people in shirtsleeves in weather that's obviously cold enough for the background characters to bundle up just takes me right out of the story and into annoyance.

Valkara, I have spoken to the developer about this over 2 years ago. I don't care for the flimsily dressed people in their winter games either.

I have also notice that there are a lot of the same people, and not only in this game, that have been there before. They are even in the same position, but just in different scenes. Although, I did see a few of the same scenes as previously as well, just slightly altered.
Would be nice if they could give us something really new. Springfield must be as large as the state of New York from the many places there are in this town.

[Post New]by cljmovies2 on Dec 22, 17 12:47 AM
I noticed a long time ago in the other games that the characters in the back ground would be all bundled up in coats, hats and scarfs and the main characters would be without coats in the snow. And even sometimes the back ground people would be without coats. Which never made sense to me. One of the things I didn't like about version 8 is that I think too many of the backgrounds and scenes from the other versions had been used and changed just a little bit. It just didn't seem as original as all the other versions had been. That was a lot of the fun of playing the other versions. Seeing the new scenes. They were fresh and new. The scenes in version 8 where older scenes with a few new additions added to it. Am I the only one who is a little disappointed with Christmas Wonderland 8?

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Dec 22, 17 6:20 AM
I waited too long to be disappointed. I checked for it every day this month. I like finding the words in the grids. I redo every time I use the hint. I'm doing scenes 3 or 4 times. I'm really taking my time. Sorry I really like it so far. Stopped to play Yuletide Legends, so haven't finished yet.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Dec 22, 17 6:25 AM
I haven't figured out how to use the quote yet. I try to use it and it has all of their review instead of a sentence. I would also be happy to have a Thanksgiving one.

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Dec 22, 17 11:56 AM
cljmovies2 wrote:I noticed a long time ago in the other games that the characters in the back ground would be all bundled up in coats, hats and scarfs and the main characters would be without coats in the snow. And even sometimes the back ground people would be without coats. Which never made sense to me. One of the things I didn't like about version 8 is that I think too many of the backgrounds and scenes from the other versions had been used and changed just a little bit. It just didn't seem as original as all the other versions had been. That was a lot of the fun of playing the other versions. Seeing the new scenes. They were fresh and new. The scenes in version 8 where older scenes with a few new additions added to it. Am I the only one who is a little disappointed with Christmas Wonderland 8?

I had replayed the entire series during the previous week or two (discovered that I'd missed the first 3, so had to get those), and finished up #7 just the day before #8 came out. So the series is fresh in my mind, and you're right. A lot of the same people show up, sometimes in the same positions they were in when they were at Pinecreek Hills in the Park Ranger games.

This cartoon-people-with-no-winter-clothes isn't just a problem in this game series. If you ever read Archie comics, you'd notice that frequently the characters weren't wearing gloves or mittens during winter, and a lot of times they would just have on a long-sleeved shirt with a scarf to denote that it was cold out. To someone who lives on the Canadian Prairies, that is just ridiculous, and tells me that somebody from a warm climate must have composed the pictures.

I don't know where the Christmas Wonderland creators are from, but the series is set in a region of the U.S. where they really do get cold, snowy winters. I guess I can forgive the fact that these people have not changed their clothes in years (maybe they have multiple copies of their outfits or run them through the laundry every other day), but there's just no in-story justification for the main characters not to wear coats and hats outside in the winter.

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Dec 22, 17 12:04 PM
Valdy wrote:
Valkara wrote:Something I meant to mention before that actually does annoy me about this game: There are numerous scenes where the family is outside - at the tree farm, at the gas station on the way to Pinecreek Hills, at church... the wind is howling in the background, everyone else is wearing winter jackets (one woman at the church is bundled up in a heavy parka)... but the family is in shirtsleeves! No jackets, no toques, no mittens, no boots! I had to check the mom's footwear at the gas station to see if she was wearing shoes or sandals (shoes, fortunately for her feet).

Valkara, I have spoken to the developer about this over 2 years ago. I don't care for the flimsily dressed people in their winter games either.

I have also notice that there are a lot of the same people, and not only in this game, that have been there before. They are even in the same position, but just in different scenes. Although, I did see a few of the same scenes as previously as well, just slightly altered.
Would be nice if they could give us something really new. Springfield must be as large as the state of New York from the many places there are in this town.

Agreed. And something else: The new house the family moved into this time is the same house that the previous family in this game series lived in - in another town! So the only way to reconcile this is to assume the same company built the same style of house in both towns. Otherwise, I have to assume that the first town changed its name and was mysteriously picked up and moved to the physical location of Springfield (which is apparently just a stone's throw away from Pinecreek Hills National Park, going by the map).

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Dec 22, 17 12:11 PM
Majestyx12 wrote:I haven't figured out how to use the quote yet. I try to use it and it has all of their review instead of a sentence. I would also be happy to have a Thanksgiving one.

You can highlight and delete the part of the other person's post that you don't want to have in your own post. Just keep the part of it that you do want. You can either use the "delete" button on your keyboard or highlight the text and press CTRL+X (don't press the actual "+" key; the X has to be pressed while the CTRL is still pressed). This will delete the part of the quoted material you don't want.

Or you could type it out using BBCode:

Make sure you get all the square brackets and slashes in the right place or it won't work properly.

Edited on 12/22/2017 at 12:12:16 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 22, 17 1:30 PM
Valkara wrote:I don't know where the Christmas Wonderland creators are from, but the series is set in a region of the U.S. where they really do get cold, snowy winters. I guess I can forgive the fact that these people have not changed their clothes in years (maybe they have multiple copies of their outfits or run them through the laundry every other day), but there's just no in-story justification for the main characters not to wear coats and hats outside in the winter.

The devs are based in the north/east of England, although one of their team is from the US. Go to their website and click on "About Us", and it will tell you their address.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Dec 23, 17 11:17 AM
Valkara wrote:
Majestyx12 wrote:I haven't figured out how to use the quote yet. I try to use it and it has all of their review instead of a sentence. I would also be happy to have a Thanksgiving one.

You can highlight and delete the part of the other person's post that you don't want to have in your own post. Just keep the part of it that you do want.

Valkara......Thank You for your help. This is my first attempt at your quote.

Go to: