bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Art Stories

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 17, 10 6:01 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Art Stories? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Art Stories

[Post New]by Smallhaven on May 17, 10 7:01 AM
Being a fan of this genre, I was anxious to give this game a go. But honest to goodness, after just minutes, I'd had enough. Full Screen does not full screen on my 22" monitor and I'm left with a window about the size of 18"; the tutorial is sorely lacking on even how to get started in game play (not that I need a tutorial but what the heck); the graphics are a disgrace for a game designed around art (I'm an artist so I feel I can say the previous with conviction); game play was boring for me... I could go on but won't. This is a definite from me.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on May 17, 10 7:15 AM
This is a unique Match 3. I, as did others, had a little trouble figuring out how to start playing. I still do not understand what the large blacked out center section with sparkles in it is for. I finally saw the tiny green dot and clicked on it.

I played "Relaxed" mode but still felt pressure to beat a timer. I failed one level apparently for being too slow to finish I think. The pressure was increased when I reached the action levels where you had to shoot down something in the bottom screen while making matches in the top in order to get ammo. i also had no idea what some of the ammo was and no idea what some of the power-ups did. Trial and error for those.

I liked the M3 boards and the power-ups were fun once I figured them out. I liked the movement and color. The graphics are excellent. I sometimes did not like the music but there is some variety there and you can always turn it off. The game play is good but just requires too much action for me. The game size is very large especially for a M3. With DSL, it took 30 min. to DL and install it on my laptop.

You are ranked on each level. Ranking is not cumulative so you start at the beginning on each level.

Judging by the size of the game, there must be many levels. This should be a very good game for M3 fans who love action and a challenge. I can no longer play any game quickly so i will not buy but i think that many are going to like this one. If I were faster, I would love it myself.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on May 17, 10 10:25 AM
To be perfectly honest, after two hours of playing this game, I still don't know if I love it or hate it.

The hate part: The "picture" levels are hard to figure out, although I have passed them all after switching to relaxed mode. In all levels, there is a significant timed element: The multiplier gage on the left goes to zero the minute you stop to think or look over the board. The colored balls are uninteresting. They might have been made a lot prettier.

The love part: This is a quirky and different game, and it is rather fun to interact with the pictures. I also like the powerups. Hint: If you do not immediately double-click the "special" tokens, you can accumulate several of them and shoot them off all in a row, which can score a lot. Also, if you include two "charged" tiles in a single match, you get two different power tokens.

This is quite a nice game for people who like to play fast, and I think you get the basic hang of the picture levels after a while (Hint: figure out which items you can drop are useful, and how to aim them, drop the others near the edges to get rid of them. Some of this is trial and error.) I'll call this one Lisa-approved with a cautious

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on May 17, 10 11:36 AM
Considering the size of this game I was most hopeful that it would be out of this world. I'm sure younger players will really enjoy the fast paced action, but it's not my cup of tea. The match three is a bit boring, and I don't care for the arcade action with the pictures. However I do appreciate option to play in relaxed mode. I also think it is a really well developed nice game, just not my cup of tea.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on May 17, 10 11:39 AM
I think this game doesn't know what it wants to be. Is it match 3? An action game? No clue.

As a match 3, it's ordinary and boring. As an action game, it needs a way better tutorial to identify all the power ups.

Basically I got killed trying to defend my castle and I have no idea why. Not a good thing.

I guess some people might like this but not me. I normally love challenging, action-filled match 3s but honestly I have no idea what the heck this game is. Or wants to be.

willows23
Minnow
Minnow
223 Posts

[Post New]by willows23 on May 17, 10 12:50 PM
Hmmm... interesting.

It's a match 3 game with action sequence after every 5 levels or so.

The match 3 part was pretty lackluster. Nothing great and rather boring. For some reason every once in a while the board balls would "shake" and I found that rather distracting and annoying. The music wasn't great, either. I didn't really feel rushed during the match 3 part, but was rather confused about the multiplier and the graphic at the left side of the screen. Could it be I accidently skipped over it during the "tutorial" (Or what little tutorial it had)??

The action part of the game was after so many levels there is an action level that splits.... one screen on top has match 3 and the screen on the bottom had art. The first action level had you shoot down another ship. It took me a while to figure out what the heck I was supposed to do. No mention that the bombs had to be "built". So I wasted a lot of the trial trying to figure that out. Could NOT beat it unless it was on relax mode. (unusal for me... very unusual). And one of the art like levels it seemed to take me forever because you had to drop your "bombs" etc at exactly the right time while still playing the match 3 on top.

In a nutshell.... Boring match 3 play. Interesting action play. Not a game for me... but great idea. (just needs more tweeking or something first)

cucumber89
Salmon
Salmon
2,807 Posts

[Post New]by cucumber89 on May 17, 10 4:12 PM
Apparently I am the only one who adores this game! lol

Arizona08
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Arizona08 on May 17, 10 6:07 PM
I would love to give a review on "Art Stories", but first of all--I was unable to get into the game once I downloaded it. I kept getting a message saying that I need to load a chip or something similar to that. So, I uninstall the game, and I think I downloaded what I needed to, but when I went back and installed the game again, it told me my time was up. So, I guess that is one game I won't be trying or buying.

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by mgpaquin on May 17, 10 6:51 PM
As a lover of Match 3 games this gets a from me. The "regular" M3 levels are boring in the extreme, and the "fights" are not worth the time (to me, at least) to try to figure out what to do. I play M3 games for relaxation, and this doesn't offer that. You're either bored to tears or trying to figure out how to kill things. Nope. Not for me.

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on May 17, 10 10:00 PM
I'm fairly new to the genre. But I'm not stupid. This game is boring.It just doesn't have anything to make me want to buy it.With the big selection of Match 3 games here on Big Fish,there are too many for me to keep this mess.There are better games here.Some have stories,graphics,all the things you want.All for the same price.Now if you have run over your wife's flower garden or something and need punishment,here ya go!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 18, 10 2:10 AM
My first attempt to play, the game wouldn't show up on my screen and all I got was some game music. But I figured out I needed to increase my screen resolution first, and then the demo ran just fine. (The game didn't like 800x600).

Thanks! to the comments on this forum, I was able to find the green buttons to click on to start the game, and I tried to pay real close attention to the tutorials. So I set the game to relaxed mode, and played without any of those sorts of problems, and won all levels and battles during the demo hour.

My impression is that the battles are supposed to be silly in a Monty Python's Flying Circus sort of way. I didn't worry about which colors did which thing so much, as just made lots of matches and dropped whatever I got onto the targets the intro to that battle said to. Since I was consistently winning, I put some attention to *enjoying* the animated scenes, rather than just frantically making matches.

The match-3 boards between battles are the sort where you clear the background tiles that are placed on it. And there are some power-ups you can earn/create to help you with that. Clearing background tiles is one of my favorite aspects of match-3 games, so for me, it was adequately amusing.

Comments have been made about the music... I didn't mind the music. I thought it was kinda cool. But I do hope the rest of the game has some other music for the match-3 boards for part of the time - this same one over and over thru the whole game would likely get to me some...

This goes on my "may buy" list. I'll be looking at the forums to see what those who've bought the game and played clear thru it have to say... The huge download size sure makes me curious...

Edited on 05/18/2010 at 2:30:02 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 18, 10 10:28 AM
I don`t like this game very much, no buy for me

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on May 18, 10 1:59 PM
For those of you who, like me, are not good at rapid matching, beware: I made it halfway through the game (at least what shows up on the initial screen), and have now failed the same level five times because of not being able to keep the multiplier gage high enough. Someone earlier mentioned the balls "shaking." That means your multiplier went to zero. This happens either because you paused to think between moves, or because you made an "unproductive" move (a move that did not break any tiles). I like to play a Match-3 as a logic game, not as an arcade game, and it is sad that this game is aimed only at people who are physically capable of lots of fast (but not necessarily smart) matches.

badoodie
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by badoodie on May 19, 10 11:37 AM
The instructions are as clear as mud on the warfare areas. I lost and had no idea how. Through much trial and error (and losing) I finally figured out some of what the various attack items were. When I have to "figure out" the basics of gameplay I have no inclination to buy the game.

Rhowennah
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Rhowennah on May 19, 10 7:33 PM
This is a no go for me... Like some of the others have said, I thought with the size of the game it would be awesome... but too bad, so sad... Next please BF....

[Post New]by Whiteowluk on May 20, 10 1:28 AM
Hi All.
I'm still fairly new to the match 3 genre, but this had me either frustrated or irritated. That's not a good result for any game. I was frustatrated because the action levels had no clear explanations as to what to do. The action tutorial seemed to consist of you hitting things at an easier level, but not why or how it was guaging success. I still don't know why I won some levels and failed others.

Also like an earlier reviewer I am a professional artist and am similarly disappointed with the graphics which are cartoonish at best. Actually thinking about it, that is unfair to many cartoonists as most cartoons have some skill, wit or humour. The graphics here had no such redeeming qualities. This and the boring gameplay of the non-action levels irritated me to the point that after some time spent playing it I was uninstalling it and thanking my lucky stars that it was only a demo and that I had not paid any money for it.

The title of Art Stories is misleading, I was expecting some kind of stories about art perhaps as a reward for gameplay, not to have to interact with a picture which is at best an exercise in how to drop things and be beaten before you can figure out a use for them. All in all this game gets a definite from me. Avoid it all costs.

Best wishes, Whiteowluk

euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

[Post New]by euphoria on May 20, 10 10:28 AM
As an artist, I really wanted to love this game. Unfortunately I can't decide at this point whether to love it or hate it. The tutorial was ridiculous; it tells you how to play a Match 3 game (don't we all know how to do that by now?) but, inconveniently, leaves out many of the specifics of the arcade levels. You're supposed to blow up a pirate ship in the first one, and it does show you how to get cannonballs and how to get water to put out the fires on your ship. And that's it. Then all of a sudden there are eight or ten other things you can get, most of which seem nonsensical or useless. An ice cube turns into an ice floe with dancing penguins on it. Okay...why? Of what use is that? The penguins showed up again in the next arcade level, so maybe they're the "cute mascot." (Um, where is the "art" part of this game, again?)

Once I figured out how to blow up the pirate ship and defend the castle (by being forced to choose "relaxed" mode, which I've never had to do before), it was fairly enjoyable, but the levels in between the arcade games are very similar to each other and you do have to be quick. The tutorial didn't tell me why the screen would every so often shiver like a chihuahua on ice; I eventually figured out this was because my "get more points" thermometer dealie had been deactivated because I took more than .02 seconds to make another match. Don't really like that part.

Still, I'm on the fence. I played the whole hour, mostly befuddled, but as I started to figure stuff out (no thanks to the tutorial), I began to enjoy it more and am actually rather intrigued as to what comes next. I think at this point I'll leave it until there's another 30% sale (maybe for Memorial Day, eh?) and then if it gets worse, I won't feel as ripped off.

weissvonnix
Marlin
Marlin
8,067 Posts

[Post New]by weissvonnix on May 20, 10 2:06 PM
l tried this game for round about 20 minutes. l was curious about the story line, the title is interesting for an artist.
But l´m still looking for the artists part in this game.
It has absolute nothing to do with art, like drawing or painting or similar things.

The tutorial isn´t worth to use it, it has many lacks. No description for power ups except the 2 most important and at first especially for the battles you´ll get some false pretenses. l.e. the bombs you have to "earn" don´t show up as fast as in the tutorial. Far away from it. Also it seems the progress decreases, when you´re too slow or don´t get enough requested colour balls, because they simply don´t show up. Further the battle tutorial doesn´t describe all functions of power ups. l´m still wondering why you can get fire power ups, if you can set only your own ship under fire. Some power ups seem to block the rivals bombs, which immediately start to hit your ship, but also seem to block your own bombs. Fair, but you´ll know it not till then, too late when it happened.

The normal match 3 is boring, but solvable without a problem, even in timed mode.
The time for the battles is way too short, but after failing at least you can switch it to untimed mode.

The main critic for me is still the title. Whatever the developers had in mind with this, it will be an unsolved mystery.
For me this game is an absloute waste of time.
Perhaps an app for FB or as online game, but not worth the 6.99$

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 21, 10 1:41 AM
I bought this game with my game credit partly so I could say something about it for this forum, and partly cuz I'm a match-3 hound and curious as heck about this huge-sized game.

To win a match-3 round, you have to make it to the Untouched score on the upper right. Your score accumulates just below that. If you clear all the background tiles without reaching that score, you will fail the level and have to replay it in order to move forward.

So it's not just about clearing the background tiles, but *how* you clear them. Focusing on the power-ups from the get-go gives me higher scores, even if I take my time looking for moves (- relaxed mode is all I've played). The pieces shiver a little when you slow down making moves, but I've been ignoring that just fine.

You create a gamepiece with an icon on it by creating a match of 4 in a row (instead of just 3). Then you have to match that iconized gamepiece with 2 others of the same color to create a power-up. Then you double click on the power-up to detonate it. It seems like you can't just wait till you have a couple background tiles left before creating and using power-ups, because it doesn't seem to give points for destroying stuff besides background tiles.

The adventure rounds... the intro screen for each one shows which objects dropping where will win the round. There's pictures in circles on the right and left side of the intro picture. Click on either one of those to scroll thru other screens about that round, including the background story of it. There's also a screen that keeps track of a whole group of things you can achieve in the animation for that round, but you don't have to achieve all of those to move forward. You can always go back and replay these rounds by selecting them on the map to try to meet the rest of the achievements for it.

The adventure rounds can take some patience to get thru, so just go along for the ride and enjoy the various cause-and-effects of dropping things onto other things.

So far I've finished chapter 1 and played thru the first adventure round of chapter 2. That means that a second piece of the map screen is lit, a vertical strip to the right of the starting one and about the same size as that one. The look of the gamepieces changed when the chapter did - not *too* radically, but still, a nice detail in the mix.

I'm enjoying this game so far. I hope these explanations help some more folks enjoy it too - or at least go into the demo with a clue...

Edited on 05/21/2010 at 2:29:15 AM PST

Go to: