Would you recommend this game?

[Post New]by lori334 on May 18, 10 5:16 PM
Hi! I wish Big Fish had like a "ratings" thing done by players... I did the free trial, but I can't make up my mind on purchasing it... so like using a five-star rating scale, how many would you give it and why? Thank you!!!

emmychann
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

Re:Would you recommend this game?

[Post New]by emmychann on May 22, 10 8:16 PM
try looking at the fatal hearts page on Reflexive Arcade, there are ratings and reviews there.

the ratings very mixed. people who like reading and stories really like it. people who were expecting a more traditional casual game absolutely hate it.

there are a lot of endings, you find out everybody's secrets, and there's no "to be continued" stuff that just leaves you hanging like some games have. there are happy ends and sad ends.

if you played all the way through the trial and weren't bored you will probably like the whole thing, I guess?

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Sep 22, 10 1:35 AM
Yeah it's an odd sort of game. The puzzles are excellent but I almost worn my mouse out clicking through a whole novel of drivel. If you stand can clicking through pages of dialogue or like stories you'll probably love it.

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Sep 22, 10 1:46 AM
just done the demo....and i can say that if you love to read all the dialogue..and i mean ALOT of it, then you will prob enjoy this, i don't mind reading it in most games, as it gives the games storyline, but the pages of it in here is trivial and not imo, necessary to the game. the graphics are quite basic, along with the puzzles, although they can be a bit tricky. i only played 3 in the hour demo, which took a total of about 15min, and the rest was literally sifting through the dialogue...no I'm not exaggerating..the good thing is it seems to have a good replay value, as you have to pick an option/answer on where to go next..eg, get in the car or walk home, will take you to a different part of game and puzzle, so i think you would be able to keep replaying and finding out all the endings. the puzzles didn't seem to have a skip button, but i think you can change this, along with your screen view in the options, at any time.
i think this game would be well suited for the teenagers out there, or someone who loves to read, or if you have nothing better to do on a rainy day..but i would definitely recommend doing the demo on this one before you buy! 3/10 for me

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 22, 10 1:51 AM

It's not really a game, its a visual novel with multiple endings and its one of my personal favorites.
If you are expecting the usual game, you will not find it here.

Tellah
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Tellah on Sep 22, 10 6:31 AM
I personally loved the game and played it obsessively over a couple days to get all the endings, so I'd rate it 4/5 or so.

I definitely wouldn't tell anyone to buy it demo-unplayed, though.
I think this one's worth the price if the story grabs you. The multiple endings can vary rather dramatically. If you don't like a lot of story, I think your rating'll be much lower than mine- it's mostly story with some puzzles and such added in.

Sometimes the puzzles seem a little shoehorned in (like 'clean the house in the least number of moves'), and there's one puzzle where I found the controls really kinda floaty and hard to accomplish (a car chase). There's no SKIP button, but if you poke around online you can find the walkthrough and skip codes for the puzzles.

[Post New]by katsrplayin1 on Jun 30, 11 8:27 PM
NO I would not its stupid alotof reading would be ok for a teenager not that great I didnt even finish the trial. not great . first one on here so far i didnt like but thats me

nocturnadawn
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by nocturnadawn on Jul 1, 11 1:00 AM
I would totally recommend this game, but only after telling the person that it is an interactive novel, not a true game. Still, a lot of fun and multiple endings. Going to be playing this one a lot of times..

dogfish12
Stingray
Stingray
4,579 Posts

[Post New]by dogfish12 on Jul 1, 11 2:29 PM
As an interactive novel, perhaps, but I hate the no "skip" optiion, but that is just me. I knew it was the former when I bought it, but didn't know the later, which would have been an instant "no-buy" for me.

vervaine
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,122 Posts

[Post New]by vervaine on Aug 23, 11 8:53 AM
I would recommend this game to those who are not opposed to the idea of visual novel. It was short, but has a lot of replay value. I just forgot to save in the right slots...
so I have to replay from the very beginning.

Some puzzles are impossible though. I skipped, like, half of them.

Go to: