bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Strange Cases: The Lighthouse Mystery Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 20, 10 1:20 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Strange Cases: The Lighthouse Mystery Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Dee_H
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Strange Cases: The Lighthouse Mystery Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Dee_H on May 20, 10 3:17 AM
I like this game better than the first one. I did not need to use any hints in the trial hour (and I am not afraid of using that hint button if getting frustrated), nor did I access the strategy guide. I wanted to use the trial stumbling around a bit before getting into the strategy guide and spoiling my play time (no self control, I would have paged forward and looked at what was coming next) and had no moments where I didn't know what to do next. Another comment was made that this had the feel of an adventure game and I agree that it does have that feel, but is much easier than most adventure games I have played where you need to know where your walkthrough is at all times to progress in a timely manner. Unfortunately, since I did not access the strategy guide during my hour trial (what a snooze ), I have no idea if the game (and the bonus game) are worth the CE price. Would someone please take a moment to comment on length of game and (if it mentions it) info. regarding the bonus game? On the positive side, my dilemma also tells you that I was engaged enough in the trial to forget about researching the strategy guide near the end of my hour! I am on the fence on the purchase, will stay comfortably in the herd and wait for more reviews/info!

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Strange Cases: The Lighthouse Mystery Collector's Edition

[Post New]by TerryMann on May 20, 10 4:08 AM
To: All of the fishies that are enjoying this one, well-deserved don't you all think, have a good time.

The graphics were great and the story was intriguing, a nice IHOG. I know some IHOG fans will really appreciate this game, I was disappointed when the time was up. I was getting into the story, the "back and forth," is something I don't care for too much. I like to get all of my items in one room, instead of thinking, "Oh no," I hope I didn't forget something, so I will have to pass on this one. Have a great day and as always...Happy Gaming

Edited on 05/20/2010 at 6:11:04 AM PST

lj_brit
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by lj_brit on May 20, 10 4:31 AM
I like your reviews CasualGran and this one is no exception. I would just add, I was thrilled to have a game download and play with no problems, at least I didn't encounter any. I've never bought a CE, really tempted with this one, not for the "extras", but impatience.

I did venture out into the WWW and couldn't find anything on the length of the game. I'm sure we'll find out shortly. I am also curious to know is the Bonus Game, The Case of the Missing Scientist, an actual game, or the first chapter of the next game? Different review sites seemed to imply they are one and the same.

[Post New]by pawnbomb on May 20, 10 5:12 AM
I agree with all the reviews so far. Not really sure if I should just wait or buy the CE? If anyone has any information on how long the game is, it would help me make my decision. Thanks BE for two good IHOGS in one week!

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on May 20, 10 5:23 AM
Hi, CasualGran, I must have missed you there. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed the game, good for you!!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on May 20, 10 6:06 AM
I really enjoyed it, but can't afford the CE, and not sure I want to buy one anyway, so I'll have to wait!!

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on May 20, 10 6:23 AM
There are 7 chapters including the bonus chapter. It took me 20 minutes to do the first chapter. So if I go by that, it will take about 2 1/2 hrs for me. But it could get harder and chapters longer as I go and I won't be playing it straight through. So hopefully that will help you.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on May 20, 10 6:32 AM
This is a nice enough game- same style as the first Strange Cases where you are given your object searches from cards you have to find.
The style is adventure and is interactive.

Graphics for the most part are very good and there is some voice acting with the cut movie scenes.

The puzzles were varied with some arcade type as well as logic.

The game and story started off very intriguing and the tale promises to be gripping.
However the inbetween chapters lose some of the suspense as you settle into a routine of finding objects, next room and move on.
The final chapter for me was totally disappointing and honestly quite ridiculous- not the story itself which is total fantasy of course but it seems to me they were lazy with gameplay and made a fast and easy finish.

The game took me 3 and a half hours and the bonus chapter another half hour.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on May 20, 10 6:37 AM
Thanks Gove! Still undecided if I'm going to buy. I want to but hate spending that kind of money and not get my money worth in play time.

Dee_H
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Dee_H on May 20, 10 7:06 AM
govegril wrote:This is a nice enough game- same style as the first Strange Cases where you are given your object searches from cards you have to find.
The style is adventure and is interactive.

Graphics for the most part are very good and there is some voice acting with the cut movie scenes.

The puzzles were varied with some arcade type as well as logic.

The game and story started off very intriguing and the tale promises to be gripping.
However the inbetween chapters lose some of the suspense as you settle into a routine of finding objects, next room and move on.
The final chapter for me was totally disappointing and honestly quite ridiculous- not the story itself which is total fantasy of course but it seems to me they were lazy with gameplay and made a fast and easy finish.

The game took me 3 and a half hours and the bonus chapter another half hour.

Wow! You don't mess around! Thank you very much for the info! I have three spots left in my punch card so I think I'll go for it. I haven't found anything that really grabbed me since my disappointment with a bug in Deadtime Stories that left me unable to play. This one has kept my interest well through the trial, which is no easy feat. Hopefully, the bonus game makes up for the disappointing ending in game. I'm ok with that and appreciate the warning. Thanks again!

Waazzaa
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by Waazzaa on May 20, 10 7:30 AM
Thanks to all for the good reviews.

I tried this, and made it through about 40 minutes. I found the HOG portions tedious, so it's a no-buy for me. I prefer games that are more interactive, and really love FHOGs (wish a nice one would come out), so if anyone else is of the same mind, I don't think this game is for you.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on May 20, 10 7:34 AM
I just bought the game. I really like it. And for me the CE is worth it because I am not very fast and really take my time. I actually had to use the hint a couple of times in the 25 minutes of play. So... you know. A couple of things just were not obvious to me.
I have gotten used to going back and forth to different areas in game play and I really like that now. It was good practice for someone who had the worst sense of direction. (believe, I leave a store in a mall, I will go left when I am supposed to right or vice versa) LOL.
The game runs smoothly and I like the characters, the blend in very well. The graphics are super and knowing me I just may need that strategy guide.
I have bought all of the CE's except for the TM's.
It counts for 3 credits so now I have earned 3 games for next month.
Also I am a collector of games so when there is nothing I like I have something to go to.
Anyway, love the game. Thank you developers and thank you so much BFG!

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on May 20, 10 7:40 AM
I find myself enjoying this game quite a bit and time slipped away on me. But I am not so sold on it that I won't wait for the standard version to be released. There's only one CE that I haven't felt slighted on so my concerns on this one are reasonable.

on the game itself outside of being the CE

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on May 20, 10 7:44 AM
Well govegril made the decision for me ,,If she bought it & is that disappointed ..I haven't finished the demo ,,but I have that feeling I would really regret this game ,,at 6.99 $ much less the CE price ..& to be perfectly honest it's been since Deadtime ,since I have played a game that I really liked...So if it was good,, I would of bought no matter what it cost ..Don't want buyers remorse ..Listen to my instinct ,,& govegril ...

tedderpic
Flounder
Flounder
2,029 Posts

[Post New]by tedderpic on May 20, 10 7:57 AM
I've got it on my maybe buy, but when its 6.99...I already have Tarot cards..and the 2 games are so alike....I'm not one for story lines..I play with the sound off ..
so the interest is'nt the story for me but the game itself.....
Happy gaming all

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on May 20, 10 8:31 AM
I have to DEMO it !

Just came in to read all the comments.

OK, some GOOD.......some BAD

THANKS

Happy Gaming
PEN

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
956 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on May 20, 10 8:42 AM
I'm not real fond of this game. I can't quite put my finger on the reason. I might give it a go again for $6.99.

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on May 20, 10 8:43 AM
Close, but no cigar ... The story is interesting, and that's it...The hidden objects part (too many) is very dull and for one thing you can use, you need again and again to find feathers, spiders, wrenchs etc, etc, etc...

The adventure games evolved. When is the "hidden object" game going to evolve. Some are fantastic, but most of them are just a way to make easy money fast !!!

There was "one"...nice mini game in the entire hour I played (minus 9 minutes) and I was gone with his car..Don't know what chapter it was !

Give me great mini games - a few hidden object parts and let me please search for things I need and not for 4 mushrooms, 6 starfishes and 2 bugs...

Raska

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on May 20, 10 12:04 PM
Well, I have bought only one CE and that was Dire Grove, It was a great game, but wish I hadn't bought the CE version. I have not bought another CE since and seriously doubt I will unless it's something really really special. This is not anything really really special. Graphics are good, music isn't bad. A little too dark in areas for my taste. Looks interesting enough for me to buy when the SE version comes out. I can wait.

Go to: